You are not logged in.

For Those That Want To Talk About NEW SCHOOL FLATLAND !!!

#7676 2020-10-11 12:11pm

OldYeller
Pro MemberFellow newb

Re: For Those That Want To Talk About NEW SCHOOL FLATLAND !!!

I got some riding in today!

The tires are great and the z-coaster feels much better with less slack, but I've never really liked the bars. I feel like I'm holding the crossbar

I had tried some narrower 23.5" bars to see if it helped when climbing around on the bike or spinning the bars (I can't remember what they are, no markings, maybe MTF?) and I still hate them.

What are your suggestions for wide low-sweep bars that hug close to the stem and aren't too weak for some reasonably hard riding?

All the 4 piece that aren't flat specific and fragile seem super wide at the bottom.

Most of the 2 piece have lots of sweep and are still pretty wide at the stem.

Are S&M Intrikat bars reasonably tough? I'm not riding off buildings these days, I'd just like to do more than flatland and still have a bike left.

#7677 2020-10-11 12:15pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF

You can ride street on InTRIKats..

Trust No One

#7678 2020-10-11 1:52pm

OldYeller
Pro MemberFellow newb

OK, cool. I think I'm going to try the 9.5" rise Intrikats then.

I'm trying to drag Mark "RadDad" Dandridge back into it with me. Neither of us have ridden in a while and he's within driving distance.

He's always fun to ride with. Great positive energy.

#7679 2020-10-11 5:06pm

haro, indiana
Pro Member

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

You can ride street on InTRIKats..

Yeah the Intrikats are perfect

#7680 2020-12-01 10:26am

razorlab
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Is this thread about everything flatland or just new school flatland bike setups? I've been posting in the "the old guys who still want to ride thread!" but after discovering this thread, maybe here is more appropriate since it is flatland specific...

I'm 45, just got back into riding four months ago after a 20-year break. My last setup was a Hoffman EP.

Since getting back into riding, I've been through three different setups to get to something that feels right for me. Obviously, I was also getting comfortable riding and re-learning things so changing things a bunch probably wasn't the best idea but I am also very particular with parts so it is what it is. I also think I hurt myself about 3x bad enough that I was out for a couple of weeks each time. I was very out of shape so hurt myself easily. I'm getting into better shape since starting to ride again which is good and I hope allows me to ride more without taking myself out as often. tongue

The biggest advantage I am discovering with new school parts is that you can get quality and lightness. I'm astonished that I can get my current bike to 21 lbs without sacrificing too much! At this weight, it feels amazing and I can ride longer sessions.

I've been trying to record myself a bit as I go to see my progress. When I first started again, I could barely ride down my driveway without it feeling super awkward. Now four months later I've been concentrating more on getting my balance back so hopefully, that will help me re-learn a lot and learn new school stuff "faster". I usually only have time to ride on the weekends so it's been going slowly but making progress!

Here is a quick clip from me last week. I found a much better spot to ride that is smooth and flat and that has also helped tremendously. Keep in mind, four months ago I could barely just ride the bike down a driveway. tongue

#7681 2020-12-01 10:31am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF

razorlab wrote:

Is this thread about everything flatland or just new school flatland bike setups? I've been posting in the "the old guys who still want to ride thread!" but after discovering this thread, maybe here is more appropriate since it is flatland specific...

I'm 45, just got back into riding four months ago after a 20-year break. My last setup was a Hoffman EP.

Since getting back into riding, I've been through three different setups to get to something that feels right for me. Obviously, I was also getting comfortable riding and re-learning things so changing things a bunch probably wasn't the best idea but I am also very particular with parts so it is what it is. I also think I hurt myself about 3x bad enough that I was out for a couple of weeks each time. I was very out of shape so hurt myself easily. I'm getting into better shape since starting to ride again which is good and I hope allows me to ride more without taking myself out as often. tongue

The biggest advantage I am discovering with new school parts is that you can get quality and lightness. I'm astonished that I can get my current bike to 21 lbs without sacrificing too much! At this weight, it feels amazing and I can ride longer sessions.

I've been trying to record myself a bit as I go to see my progress. When I first started again, I could barely ride down my driveway without it feeling super awkward. Now four months later I've been concentrating more on getting my balance back so hopefully, that will help me re-learn a lot and learn new school stuff "faster". I usually only have time to ride on the weekends so it's been going slowly but making progress!

Here is a quick clip from me last week. I found a much better spot to ride that is smooth and flat and that has also helped tremendously. Keep in mind, four months ago I could barely just ride the bike down a driveway. tongue

Nice! At 50, riding time is hard to find, work, family ect.. keep it up, over cautiousness can and will hold you back sometimes so push yourself sometumes and that confidence will come back. Also, I found riding with people to be helpful to feed off one another and exchange tips.  Great video btw!

Trust No One

#7682 2020-12-07 9:37am

ChristianHetheMurray
Pro MemberThundercougarfalconbird
Bikes: 46
For Sale: 29

Showed this before ... but this has to be the best run ever. 1st up ...

Takumi Isogai

My flatland is ... always smooth!!!!

[img]http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/khe-bikes-11159567381c2_lg.jpg[/img]

#7683 2020-12-07 9:39am

ChristianHetheMurray

#7684 2021-02-20 6:16pm

1986haromaster
Banned

razorlab wrote:

Thanks for this razorlab I need the motivation, getting old SUCKS. I'm just coming back from a 17yr break myself and I'm not a teen anymore either for sure.

Keep riding!

#7685 2021-02-22 4:40pm

razorlab
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

1986haromaster wrote:

Thanks for this razorlab I need the motivation, getting old SUCKS. I'm just coming back from a 17yr break myself and I'm not a teen anymore either for sure.

Keep riding!

Yea man! I can't wait to get some sessions in again, it's been a cold and snow covered couple of months here. I'm now wishing I got back into riding before I moved out of California! Hah!

#7686 2021-02-22 4:52pm

1986haromaster
Banned

razorlab wrote:

1986haromaster wrote:

Keep riding!

Yea man! I can't wait to get some sessions in again, it's been a cold and snow covered couple of months here. I'm now wishing I got back into riding before I moved out of California! Hah!

For sure lol, my biggest adversity is definitely is geography, I moved from Colorado with beautiful weather even when it's snowing out down to south Texas where it's miserable heat 9 months out of the year and humidity that makes it insanely difficult to breathe (for me at least, used to the thin air limited humidity).

#7687 2021-02-22 7:52pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF

1986haromaster wrote:

razorlab wrote:

1986haromaster wrote:

Keep riding!

For sure lol, my biggest adversity is definitely is geography, I moved from Colorado with beautiful weather even when it's snowing out down to south Texas where it's miserable heat 9 months out of the year and humidity that makes it insanely difficult to breathe (for me at least, used to the thin air limited humidity).

We're most likely moving back to Florida.  big_smile for many reasons.

Trust No One

#7688 2021-04-02 6:13am

ChristianHetheMurray

#7689 2021-04-02 6:48am

1986haromaster
Banned

cool

#7690 2021-05-31 2:30pm

nicko1979
Centurion Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-uC9QrGn4I&t=3434s
Check out Rodney Williams 2hr sesseion!!! cool

#7691 2021-07-15 10:35am

ChristianHetheMurray

https://www.facebook.com/pinky.squeaks

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/55127/thumbnailzz60f07b9ec6.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/55127/x60f071e6cd.png

Last edited by ChristianHetheMurray (2021-07-15 11:17am)

Board footer