Freecoaster fans!!!

#651 2021-03-22 3:43pm

rodney4130
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2019-03-07
Bikes: 2

Re: Freecoaster fans!!!

one piece crank wrote:

Anyone know what FC hub this is (2021 Haro Midway FC)? I got this bike for my son for Christmas - it is amazing bang for the buck, and the FC cassette engagement is super nice and quick.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … c6de3.jpeg

Pretty sure that's the same hub that Fit uses on their completes and sells as a separate wheelset.  Might even be the same wheelset with a different sticker.

If so, it's similar to an older KHE hub.  I have the Fit set and have had no issues with it after almost a year and a half.

#652 2021-03-30 6:06pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller
Signed up: 2007-07-23
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 1

Look what I found... big_smile

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/7542/screen-shot-2021-03-30-at-8.04.39-pm6063cb0cd3.png

#653 2021-03-31 5:36am

walribco
Expert
Signed up: 2012-02-12
Bikes: 3
Website

nice! so it says patented planetary tech? think its different than the freenight/BSD coaster?

ricedoutyugo.com

#654 2021-03-31 7:12am

one piece crank
Pro Member
Signed up: 2017-08-23
Bikes: 1

When the new FC's say "no gap", this simply means no gap in forward/cassette mode, correct? No relation to rolling backwards and attempting to pedal-pressure-out, where there has to be a gap, no?

Just trying to keep a short list of FC's I'd like to try...

Last edited by one piece crank (2021-03-31 7:13am)

#655 2021-03-31 9:22am

johnu773
Pro MemberFlatland Dominator
Signed up: 2008-07-07
Bikes: 7

As someone who actually does fakie tricks on both park & flat, I'd like to make a suggestion/guide. This is based off 35 yrs of riding suntour with unbrake and evolving along the way. Slop/gap/play is actually your friend if you're doing any serious fakie/rollback stuff. Clutch based freecoasters have the most "forgive" because they dont lock up like a cassette based hub.

Khe style clutch based:
Great for all types of riding. Still prefered by many park riders because they do have some forgiving qualities instead of ejecting you from the bike if you accidentally lean forward on the pedal

Cassette based:
Good for cruising, an occassional 180 or rockwalk. Also very good for flatland (salt/ezra) since they disengage as soon as you stop pedalling forward (no backpedal pedal set)
These are not so good for riders who do a ton of fakie stuff on street/park. Most cassette based hubs have very little play so its feast or famine. (You're cruising backwards at speed or you're on your ass cuz it bucked you) profiles are adjustable so they are better and the Far east has the most play but all cassette style can lock up once you lean forward. Far East/profile/madera are also a pain because you have to backpedal to set it.

WTP Hybrid:
This is an upgraded salt/ezra which is supposed to have the slack of a clutch based with the engagement of a cassette can't wait to try one.

Planetary:
These seem to be a real good design with good slack and solid disengagement. I have not ridden one yet so I cant give feedback, but would like to ride someones just to see how it feels.

Again, slop/play/gap isnt always a bad thing (if you actually ride and fakie a lot) most riders I know who do a ton of fakies and are better riders than myself all prefer slack.

Due to Illinois corruption, mismanagement & greed, I can no longer accept Paypal.  Chase quickpay (through Zelle), money order, or local pickup only

#656 2021-03-31 9:28am

walribco
Expert
Website

johnu773 wrote:

As someone who actually does fakie tricks on both park & flat, I'd like to make a suggestion/guide. This is based off 35 yrs of riding suntour with unbrake and evolving along the way. Slop/gap/play is actually your friend if you're doing any serious fakie/rollback stuff. Clutch based freecoasters have the most "forgive" because they dont lock up like a cassette based hub.

Khe style clutch based:
Great for all types of riding. Still prefered by many park riders because they do have some forgiving qualities instead of ejecting you from the bike if you accidentally lean forward on the pedal

Cassette based:
Good for cruising, an occassional 180 or rockwalk. Also very good for flatland (salt/ezra) since they disengage as soon as you stop pedalling forward (no backpedal pedal set)
These are not so good for riders who do a ton of fakie stuff on street/park. Most cassette based hubs have very little play so its feast or famine. (You're cruising backwards at speed or you're on your ass cuz it bucked you) profiles are adjustable so they are better and the Far east has the most play but all cassette style can lock up once you lean forward. Far East/profile/madera are also a pain because you have to backpedal to set it.

WTP Hybrid:
This is an upgraded salt/ezra which is supposed to have the slack of a clutch based with the engagement of a cassette can't wait to try one.

Planetary:
These seem to be a real good design with good slack and solid disengagement. I have not ridden one yet so I cant give feedback, but would like to ride someones just to see how it feels.

Again, slop/play/gap isnt always a bad thing (if you actually ride and fakie a lot) most riders I know who do a ton of fakies and are better riders than myself all prefer slack.

yes this! great way to put it! i always set it to max slack, once you get used to it you dont even notice. extra plus if someone jumps on your ride and tries to cheese they usually end up on the ground!

ricedoutyugo.com

#657 2021-03-31 6:06pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Signed up: 2006-01-14
For Sale: 7

Im really anxious to try one of the planetary type coasters. Im fairly certain they won't work for me, but I've ridden pretty much  every type over the years so im curious. Still can't believe my Rush v2 is almost 8 years old! First seven years were flawless! Thanks again johnu for the much needed parts to keep it running a few months ago!

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2021
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw (again) inTRIKat!!!

#658 2021-03-31 6:18pm

johnu773

matt thomas wrote:

Im really anxious to try one of the planetary type coasters. Im fairly certain they won't work for me, but I've ridden pretty much  every type over the years so im curious. Still can't believe my Rush v2 is almost 8 years old! First seven years were flawless! Thanks again johnu for the much needed parts to keep it running a few months ago!

No worries. Im on my alienation still too for the park bike. My salt is popping but still runs fine on the flatty. Cant wait to see the WTP hybrid hub too. Jerry has one on order

Due to Illinois corruption, mismanagement & greed, I can no longer accept Paypal.  Chase quickpay (through Zelle), money order, or local pickup only

#659 2021-03-31 6:41pm

matt thomas

johnu773 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

No worries. Im on my alienation still too for the park bike. My salt is popping but still runs fine on the flatty. Cant wait to see the WTP hybrid hub too. Jerry has one on order

Unfortunately, in the coming months, or with any luck I'll make it until winter, but I'll be forced to decide if im going to lace the hub to a third rim. My wheel is getting pretty rough, 5 busted spokes since last may.

Wanted- Injury free 2021

#660 2021-04-01 6:27am

one piece crank
Pro Member

Johnu773 - thanks for a great post. I’m new to FC’s and it’s hard to figure out all the internal hub differences and how they translate to riding. Ideally I need to test every type of hub. I’m currently riding a Primo Freemix, set to minimum slack. I like rollbacks and mild fakies so my goal was to replicate the feel of a coaster brake, and it’s pretty darn close.

#661 2021-04-01 2:32pm

johnu773

Freemix is a clutch based. If you want a true coaster feel, take a few slack washers out. The extra play will be a lil more forgiving once you start getting really tech with rollback stuff

#662 2021-04-01 3:24pm

pnj
Expert
Signed up: 2012-09-12

I have an old 48 hole Shimano coaster with Standard Un-brake. Maybe I should post a picture , for your pleasure. I think I may have a KHE coaster from early 2000's too...

I never really took to them. I always ran freewheels and cassettes. I guess I didn't spend enough time rolling backwards. lol

There are no carpet queens in the woods

#663 2021-06-02 5:39pm

walribco
Expert
Website

So has anyone got ahold of the WTP hybrid coaster yet? I'm beginning to think they got issues. I've been checking on recent WTP riders bike checks and none of em are riding the hybrid... am i paranoid?

here's one from today:

https://digbmx.com/dig-this/setups-lewi … -griffiths

Last edited by walribco (2021-06-02 5:42pm)

ricedoutyugo.com

#664 2021-11-12 5:37pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller
Signed up: 2007-07-23
Bikes: 9

Hey everyone.  It's been a hot minute.  Anything happening on the freecoaster front? cool

#665 2021-11-12 6:54pm

mongoosefreak
BMXer 4 Life
Signed up: 2010-03-05
Bikes: 13

midschool22 wrote:

Hey everyone.  It's been a hot minute.  Anything happening on the freecoaster front? cool

I just picked up a Sweet one this evening but it will not let me post any pictures 😞

#666 2021-11-12 8:17pm

one piece crank
Pro Member

Well, I'm going back to coaster brake, but leaving the Freecoaster on one bike.

#667 2021-11-13 9:17pm

m6z
Pro Member
Signed up: 2019-08-20
For Sale: 15

Anyone running the Venus yet?

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a LHD freecoaster on my new build.  The easy button is always Odyssey, but I'm still undecided.  It's hard to  differentiate what the "best" option is.  Most of them seem to be very similar.

Last edited by m6z (2021-11-13 9:19pm)

#668 2021-11-14 4:14am

Pirate_Duck
Pro Member
Signed up: 2015-05-22

I would absolutely back the Planetary Hub you can pedal forwards whilst in fakie ffs! Then when you cab/whatever forward you have instant Cassette engagement!

I know James White is running the BSD one on his Flat Bike so they're not useless Flatland wise either.

#669 2021-11-14 6:50am

matt thomas

I finally got to ride a buddies far east coaster, definitely doesn't work for me. All i got out of it was two nicks on my right knee. Haha!

Wanted- Injury free 2021

#670 2021-11-14 9:02am

one piece crank
Pro Member

Pirate_Duck wrote:

I would absolutely back the Planetary Hub you can pedal forwards whilst in fakie ffs! Then when you cab/whatever forward you have instant Cassette engagement!

I know James White is running the BSD one on his Flat Bike so they're not useless Flatland wise either.

Have you ridding one? I'm confused if you can actually roll backwards AND pedal-engage out. Seems like this would NOT be possible if you can pedal forward while fakie/rolling-backwards????

Last edited by one piece crank (2021-11-14 9:03am)

#671 2021-11-14 9:26am

Pirate_Duck
Pro Member
Signed up: 2015-05-22

one piece crank wrote:

Pirate_Duck wrote:

Have you ridding one? I'm confused if you can actually roll backwards AND pedal-engage out. Seems like this would NOT be possible if you can pedal forward while fakie/rolling-backwards????

From what I know about them, you cannot pedal out/use pedal pressure to get out of fakie. You'll need to half cab, use a brake or use body weight/momentum to return to rolling forward before you can engage the driver.

BSD & Freenight both have pretty good explanations & examples on their YouTube channels, you can see it working & then have it explained better than I can haha.

#672 2021-11-24 7:05am

NoJuice01
Signed up: 2020-07-07
Bikes: 4

matt thomas wrote:

I finally got to ride a buddies far east coaster, definitely doesn't work for me. All i got out of it was two nicks on my right knee. Haha!

What type is the far east?  and what type is the U-Free ?

I was looking at swapping to the far east but not sure

#673 2021-11-24 3:29pm

OLDSCHOOLBMXER67
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-06-11
For Sale: 5

johnu773 wrote:

Khe style clutch based:

Cassette based:

WTP Hybrid:

Planetary:

Look at the free night freecoaster hub.

#674 2021-11-24 3:44pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
Signed up: 2008-10-22
For Sale: 4

OLDSCHOOLBMXER67 wrote:

johnu773 wrote:

Khe style clutch based:

Cassette based:

WTP Hybrid:

Planetary:

Look at the free night freecoaster hub.

Pretty stoked on my last purchase.  cool

Let's Go Brandon!!

#675 2021-11-25 6:04am

matt thomas

NoJuice01 wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

What type is the far east?  and what type is the U-Free ?

I was looking at swapping to the far east but not sure

I had far east on the brain! I rode a buddies free night planetary coaster, and it definitely wont work for me.

Wanted- Injury free 2021

Board footer