You are not logged in.

Went to a bike shop first time in 20 years

#26 2020-10-15 10:15pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
Bikes: 2

Re: Went to a bike shop first time in 20 years

Hussler wrote:

The last time I went to a bike shop I was building lowrider bikes as a youngster to show off at local bike shows. I used to sit down with the oriental shop owner and order special parts out of a catalog. Man has it changed. I went in to a local shop asking if they had any gyro cables. After the 3rd employee said they didn't know what I meant the 4th one said you mean for those trick bikes? They had "trick bikes" on the floor so it surprised me. Anyway the guy that knew what I was talking about called over an older dude who was badass and knew what I wanted. We talked for a while about brakes. I asked him if he had the gyro cables. he said well I think I have some somewhere here, like a picky ass hole I asked.. do you have white?
He said no then tossed back what I saw were a black pair he scrounged out of a bin he was digging in while we chatted. He said I can order some for you but they won't come in nearly as fast and be as cheap as they would if you just ordered them off Amazon. sad dude that hit me. Those days are gone.... a cool thing I did pick up from our conversation that didn't even occur to me (shows how simple minded I can be) was a tip he gave me about 80s brakes. I told him my brakes suck I keep ordering new ones to see if the next pair is better than the last. The problem still exists. He said no your brakes work just fine for a 30+ year old brake. He said it really goes to show how good the guys that did tricks on those bikes were back then. He said compared to the brakes we have these days the old ones 'arnt worth a flip' his words lol. Anyway just thought I share that. tongue

While there is some truth that the new brakes are better, there's a lot of things that go into it.  I have a MX900 that's 34 years old on one of my bikes.  Thing can lock the wheel no problem..and I weigh 200 pounds.

Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

#27 2020-10-15 11:56pm

MaximRecoil
Centurion Member

There was no bike shop within 45 miles when I was a kid. The closest we had was the local Western Auto, which had a small selection of bike parts, as well as their own line of bikes. My second BMX was a Western Flyer Invader 2, and I bought tires and tubes there. One time, in 1988 or so, I bought a pair of Skyway Tuff Wheel IIs and a Shimano freewheel there, but those weren't in-stock items. The owner pulled out a catalog from under the counter and they were in there, and he ordered them for me. I think the total came to around $50 or $60; $20-something for each wheel and around $10 for the freewheel.

#28 2020-10-16 2:32am

WinstonSmith
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Couple years ago went into what had been the Schwinn dealership (Laurel Maryland) in the 80's....now a "modern" bike shop...nothing but road bikes. Also in Laurel Maryland was Bikes Plus my favorite BMX shop back in the day. The owner George was the best! George's wife started a daycare in half the building, now the entire location is a daycare.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/226637/20200920_1618015f8968ac87.jpg

Last edited by WinstonSmith (2020-10-16 2:33am)

“It’s pretty much my favorite animal. It’s like a lion and a tiger mixed… bred for its skills in magic.”

#29 2020-10-16 5:34am

metalheadcustoms
Pro Member

I had a local shop near me in Newtown Connecticut. It was a very small shop but he always had several cool bmx bikes there. I saw  a diamondback strike zone there and used all of my grass cutting and snow blowing money to make it mine:cool:

Metal, bikes , drums and cars. That about says it all....

#30 2020-10-16 5:46am

Hussler
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

Bunch of cool stories here cool

😎

#31 2020-10-16 4:07pm

ApolloMkII
Pro MemberWhen I get around to it...
Bikes: 4

Went to my LBS which was Europa Cycles (now opposite the Doncaster Hotel) something like in 2008 to get my Technicomps MTB refurbished with new cables, rebuild the Marzocchi XC400's and to get them to give it a good once-over.
I told them that I had actually bought this from them in 1993-94 when they were at their original location.
It was still run by the original owners (a father and son team).
They seemed completely not interested in what I had to say and weren't even looking at me when I was talking to them.
I was certainly not impressed.
I still have that Technicomps MTB to this day, just not sure what I want to do with it.

#32 2020-10-16 10:14pm

wmkent
"Survivor in fair condition"
Bikes: 12

Guys, c’mon. Look at it like this...

If you haven’t taken the time to go see a buddy in 16 to 20 years or you drop every 8, are you seriously going to be surprised to learn in the interim he’s met a girl, had a kid and maybe moved on a bit since you last poked your head in the door?

You have to swing by a bit from time to time. Stuff changes. LBS’s survive selling you MORE stuff.

That’s like going to department store today and being miffed they don’t have bell bottoms and corduroys

You should definitely ride that

#33 2020-10-17 5:13am

jray02r1
Pro Member
Bikes: 34

wmkent wrote:

If you haven’t taken the time to go see a buddy in 16 to 20 years or you drop every 8, are you seriously going to be surprised to learn in the interim he’s met a girl, had a kid and maybe moved on a bit since you last poked your head in the door?

You have to swing by a bit from time to time. Stuff changes. LBS’s survive selling you MORE stuff.

That’s like going to department store today and being miffed they don’t have bell bottoms and corduroys

True.  I have several bike shops in my town and i frequently am in each of them looking for odd ball luttle items or used trade in bmx bikes.  None of them usually have what i need, but the old old shops will let me go through the drawers looking for various small stuff.  I find plenty of stuff.  Yeah, im not the big spender there but i do keep coming back.

Last edited by jray02r1 (2020-10-17 5:20am)

#34 2020-10-17 5:46am

AllanG
Expert

The bike shop I used to go to is still standing, just a shadow of itself these days though.

My clearest memory is seeing dayglo GT PFT's in the window and they would have to rotate them because the harsh Aussie summer would fade the paint.

#35 2020-10-17 7:45am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Bikes: 3

wmkent wrote:

Gotta build those relationships. I'm lucky enough to have a LBS with some cool people who work there, a decent selection of BMX, and couple guys with BMX skills for wrenching, and they ride as well. I stop in often, give the place a healthy bit of business for parts as well as service for stuff I don't have the time and/or tools for (installing press fit headset, pack/ship and unpack/tune complete bikes I buy online etc.). I almost always get Bro deals and get treated well, and quick turnaround on any service.

I get it, a store/shop should always be courteous to their customers, but think about it, wouldn't someone go out of their way to be extra good to someone who spends money there and therefore helps keep them employed and their bills paid? No different then if you go to a bar, a gentleman is patient, courteous once he is served, tips well on that first drink, and Wow! look at that the bartender will respond fast and normally mix your drinks better, and on subsequent visits that relationship is cultivated until your a regular/VIP.

Last edited by brettweir89 (2020-10-17 7:49am)

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
It's over Anakin, I have the high ground! -Obi-Wan Kenobi

#36 2020-10-17 8:18am

FU
Pro Member

I thought about it and you should too.
How's your local scene?
The internet hasnt killed everything, but it really helps to have a strong scene to support the store. BMX and skateboarding are still huge in this area.
The parks are packed daily. Trails of doom abound. And you have three hardcore shops to support skateboarding and BMX, who sponsor contests and riders. It's pretty cool actually.

Duck, Duck, There goes your ad revenue! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I would just like to say that I apologize. For absolutely nothing at all. HA HA HA

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#37 2020-10-17 8:56am

Hussler
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

FU wrote:

I thought about it and you should too.
How's your local scene?
The internet hasnt killed everything, but it really helps to have a strong scene to support the store. BMX and skateboarding are still huge in this area.
The parks are packed daily. Trails of doom abound. And you have three hardcore shops to support skateboarding and BMX, who sponsor contests and riders. It's pretty cool actually.

@dan77 dead here right bro or am I living in a bubble

Last edited by Hussler (2020-10-17 8:57am)

😎

#38 2021-01-20 12:25am

OneLegDog

The shops below had some of the most trick gear of the day.

Mr Z'z - Albuquerque, NM 1979 *small single man shop, with cool bikes and parts hanging on the walls. Sold the shop and bought a old delivery truck and would show up at the local NM tracks around 83'-84'. 
Rob and Charley's - Santa Fe, NM 1982 *Big SE outlet in the early days of SE. BMX Action trick team was there in 82' RL and BUFF put on a cool show. 
WES's BMX - Scotts Valley, CA 1978 *One of the old shops of the sport. I got there in 83' but it had been rocking Nor-Cal since 77' or so. WALL to WALL, Floor to Ceiling BMX. One of the best shops ever.
Mobey Dick BMX - Santa Clara CA 1981 - *Great wall of frame and forks. A long skinny strip mall shop of the 80's. Worth the drive to pick up some trick new gear. Home shop to some of the fastest riders in the bay area.
Bicycle Harbor - Chandler, AZ 1981  *Some really great custom wheels and mini builds come out of this place. They had a bad ass shop team.
Colorado Competitor - Denver, CO *One of the cool shops in the early days. We made several trips to Boulder and Denver area. If I only had more money at 15. They had so many great bikes and parts.

Just a few of the TOP BMX shops around the US that I've been to that I can remember. 40 years later they are no longer in business.

Walt's Schwinn Cyclery - Sunnyvale, CA 1953 *Grew up in Sunnyvale as a kid in 68'-74'. This was a major Schwinn dealer of the bay area and my neighborhood shop. I ended up working for one of the later owners (Don Rosandich), manger (Tim Hewitt) in 1984-85.
Dig this....THEY ARE STILL OPEN!!

Riders Ready...Pedals set!!!

Board footer