You are not logged in.

RL Osborn Throwin Around The Idea For A......

#1 2020-09-21 9:17am

mdeltab
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

RL Osborn Throwin Around The Idea For A......

As mentioned here previously, RL Osborn is active lately on social media and has a killer Youtube channel. A really good dude!

Anyway, he has mentioned that he has some ideas in his head and has even hinted about a frame or at least spoke about it.

I am thereby holding back all future BMX spending funds untill I find out if RL is coming out with a bike or a frame! If he does, I’m there dude.  Chalk up 1 frame or complete bike for me please!!

What about you guys? Whats your thoughts? What would you like to see him come out with if he does it and what would you purchase?

Hope to see you at my Youtube channel where I upload my riding videos and Bmx related topics. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k3Sl … subscriber

#2 2020-09-21 9:23am

erichevy
Pro Member
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 10
Website

Re: RL Osborn Throwin Around The Idea For A......

His videos have been great.  Very cool to see him getting back into it.

"I majored in punk rock" - Mike Watt

Detroit Has A Skyline Too

#3 2020-09-21 9:34am

racer155
Pro Member
Bikes: 27
For Sale: 5

If he puts out a frame or bike, I wonder if it'll come with a grinder?lol

#4 2020-09-21 9:43am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 6

racer155 wrote:

Hope not..

Watch for my upcoming sales. Great deals on minty mid and new school parts.

#5 2020-09-21 9:44am

mdeltab
Museum Addict

racer155 wrote:

Yeah, he's always putting those power tools to use on that General! lol

Hope to see you at my Youtube channel where I upload my riding videos and Bmx related topics. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k3Sl … subscriber

#6 2020-09-21 9:47am

mdeltab
Museum Addict

racer155 wrote:

One of these? lol

#7 2020-09-21 10:39am

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 440
For Sale: 51
Website

Arrgghh....
I am also excited to see what is next...
I have heard he refused Redline's offer..so who knows what company.
The grinding really got to me too...I know its his bike..but damn..
#1 just get a modern frame...
#2 use a frame that already has issues?

I know when its your bike..you can do whatever you want, but damn!

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#8 2020-09-21 10:58am

mdeltab
Museum Addict

GAry wrote:

Arrgghh....
I am also excited to see what is next...
I have heard he refused Redline's offer..so who knows what company.
The grinding really got to me too...I know its his bike..but damn..
#1 just get a modern frame...
#2 use a frame that already has issues?

I know when its your bike..you can do whatever you want, but damn!

Yeah I cringed when that thing went under the saw too.

Thanks for the info about what you heard. Interesting to see he's workin to get something done. Maybe he’ll call up the old crew who once ran General to get something done.

Is it anyone else or just me that now kinda feels like building up a General now after watching those videos?

#9 2020-09-21 11:24am

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!
For Sale: 1

Nothing wrong with busting out a grinder if ya got the skills to use one...

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81 and never on a cruiser for God’s sake
Let me guess you were factory sponsored in
the 80’s...
Please no colored tires on race bikes...
So how many years were you a Pro....
You knew a guy that had a Mongoose that weighed 12 pounds

#10 2020-09-21 11:27am

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 1

rad

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#11 2020-09-21 1:37pm

Dollazhollaz
Post Restriction
Bikes: 39

Im in for anything RL does. Hopefully Fred Blood will do something cool with General too. Also saving funds for this "new chase"

If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense

**Ride or Die*

#12 2020-09-21 2:14pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

I don't find cutting off the coaster brake tab cringeworthy at all in this particular case. Look at any picture of him riding a General from BITD and there is no coaster brake tabs.  Doesn't matter who you are but when you re-discover bmx after 20 years it's only natural to want what you had back then, and he was the main rider associated with the brand so he's just coming home.

#13 2020-09-21 2:17pm

spyker
Pro MemberThE hOt StEpPa!

It would have been easier to just grind down the axle to fit the frame vs grind down the frame to fit the axle.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus picklers!

#14 2020-09-21 2:27pm

Dollazhollaz
Post Restriction
Bikes: 39

Yeah I picture him hacking shit up bitd based on how much he LOVVVVEESSS hacking shit up now.

lol

If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense

**Ride or Die*

#15 2020-09-21 2:28pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 2

I remember many years ago that he didn't want anything to do with BMX, like he moved on for good. Did he have a change of heart? That's good if true; he was one of the legends.

-Joe

#16 2020-09-21 2:35pm

made2drag
Pro MemberMAGA
Bikes: 9

spyker wrote:

It would have been easier to just grind down the axle to fit the frame vs grind down the frame to fit the axle.

True.  RL likes to build Harleys and fabricate though.  2 reasons he trimmed the Osborn Pro:  To slide a 14mm freecoaster rim in with a 9T and the other reason was to trim it only on the bottom drop opening.  This dropped the rim down and created more chain clearance for the 990 style brakes.  With 28T/9 the chain was going to rub on the brake.  This mod also in effect made the headtube angle slightly steeper he says.  Seems right to me.  Had he trimmed some off the top and bottom and kept it centered the chain would hit.  Last i saw, he wanted more clearance than he got and is sending it off to a welder anyway.  He also trimmed the bottom of the fork legs off to run big pegs.

#17 2020-09-21 2:41pm

spyker
Pro MemberThE hOt StEpPa!

made2drag wrote:

spyker wrote:

True.  RL likes to build Harleys and fabricate though.  2 reasons he trimmed the Osborn Pro:  To slide a 14mm freecoaster rim in with a 9T and the other reason was to trim it only on the bottom drop opening.  This dropped the rim down and created more chain clearance for the 990 style brakes.  With 28T/9 the chain was going to rub on the brake.  This mod also in effect made the headtube angle slightly steeper he says.  Seems right to me.  Had he trimmed some off the top and bottom and kept it centered the chain would hit.  Last i saw, he wanted more clearance than he got and is sending it off to a welder anyway.  He also trimmed the bottom of the fork legs off to run big pegs.

With the mods done to the frame and fork(both mint btw),he should have just started with a NS F&F instead.Could have left those parts intact.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus picklers!

#18 2020-09-21 2:45pm

Atrains89
Pro Member
Bikes: 5
For Sale: 5

Gary....his name is on the frame. So....

I don’t care what you say....Day Glo pink is for men!

#19 2020-09-21 2:55pm

made2drag
Pro MemberMAGA

Spintech wrote:

I remember many years ago that he didn't want anything to do with BMX, like he moved on for good. Did he have a change of heart? That's good if true; he was one of the legends.

Yes, after many months of fans posting on the RL Osborn Tribute FB page, RL started talking on there and felt moved to engage in sharing.  He made several posts thanking all the fans for the kind words and didn't feel like he deserved all or any of the attention.  Kept saying he was just a rider but fans made sure they showed him how they felt.  He then got more involved and has been doing youtube videos and built a S&M and started riding.  He is also building an Osborn Pro, that was loaned to him by a fan, and will be riding it.... and giving it back to him eventually.  He showed us basically him riding for the first time in decades, to now getting a bunch of his harder tricks back.  He has ridden trails and stuff but it's been awhile since he did flat.

#20 2020-09-21 3:00pm

made2drag
Pro MemberMAGA

spyker wrote:

made2drag wrote:

spyker wrote:

With the mods done to the frame and fork(both mint btw),he should have just started with a NS F&F instead.Could have left those parts intact.

He has a S&M ATF he rides.  The General started out as a gift or a loaned gift... then he was so excited about the NS tech on the S&M, he decided to mod the OS up.  He hasn't gone to a 1 1/8's fork yet mainly because the slant stem ACS 55 was one of the things he used when on General.  All the iconic pics of him on a General had a 55.  He also is going to do an OS vs. NS bike comparison doing tricks just for the fans.

Last edited by made2drag (2020-09-21 3:01pm)

#21 2020-09-21 3:03pm

made2drag
Pro MemberMAGA

The easiest thing he could have done was just buy and paint up a Colony OZ one or a Lineage Master and just ride for the fans.  He keeps mentioning doing a frame and also says the 87 Osborn Pro rode so nice bitd.  Redline was his favorite sponsor.

#22 2020-09-21 5:06pm

Shazambmx
Pro Member$$$
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 13

El Cid!

Mikey.... Good Gorilla.

#23 2020-09-21 5:30pm

midschool22
Pro MemberFlatbiller
Bikes: 7

mdeltab wrote:

What about you guys? Whats your thoughts? What would you like to see him come out with if he does it and what would you purchase?

It's cool.  I watch his Youtube channel.  I'm glad he's coming back and everyone is stoked on it.

Would I buy a frame?...probably not.  As cool as it would be, I can't see me riding one.

I'm just too attached to my reissue Hoffman Bikes Big Daddy...I mean...it's Kevin Jones!!! lol

I'd be down for a shirt or something like that for sure. cool

#24 2020-09-21 5:54pm

mdeltab
Museum Addict

made2drag wrote:

Spintech wrote:

Yes, after many months of fans posting on the RL Osborn Tribute FB page, RL started talking on there and felt moved to engage in sharing.  He made several posts thanking all the fans for the kind words and didn't feel like he deserved all or any of the attention.  Kept saying he was just a rider but fans made sure they showed him how they felt.  He then got more involved and has been doing youtube videos and built a S&M and started riding.  He is also building an Osborn Pro, that was loaned to him by a fan, and will be riding it.... and giving it back to him eventually.  He showed us basically him riding for the first time in decades, to now getting a bunch of his harder tricks back.  He has ridden trails and stuff but it's been awhile since he did flat.

+1

#25 2020-09-21 5:55pm

cog-hat
Pro Member
Bikes: 59

Board footer