You are not logged in.

The youth coaches rant - a$$hole parents.  RSS Feed

#51 2019-05-04 6:04am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

Re: The youth coaches rant - a$$hole parents.

Last nights game was against another team that was really good. We dug ourselves a hole right off the bat, going down 5-0.

We fought back and with time running out, we scored 3 to tie it, 8-8, then with 2 outs & my son at 3rd (I'm 3rd base coach too) the catcher lets the ball get past him, my son pulls the trigger & its a head first slide into home plate, the catcher gets the ball & they collide at the plate.........out!!
My son weighs 80 lbs maybe, the catcher is the worlds biggest 12 yr old, 180 lbs? Needless to say my son bounced off of him like a bumper car and was hurt. I instantly saw the BMX/ Mt. bike season come to an end in my head, lol!

What a barn burner of a game. The other coach only had 8 players & he asked if I wanted to "take an out" because of that. To be honest, I wasn't familiar with that rule. With us being so far down early, my coaches and friends pointed it out too & I said, no, I want to play them straight up. The other coach thought it was a classy move & to be honest, he was super cool & it gave a good vibe to the game. The game was so positive on so many levels, the way it should be in a perfect world but isn't.

I'm really learning a lot, game in & game out about coaching at a higher level with this league. Iv'e been able to tune out the negative crap in the last couple of games & focus more on running the game & learning the position. 

Any of you guys practice or play on Sundays?

b.

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

#52 2019-05-07 3:47pm

bnd
Pro Member
Website

Last nights game, we dug ourselves another hole in the 1st inning we couldn't get out of, a bridge too far. Anyways, the Ump is this old-timer, I mean he's in his late 70's but has a lifetime of experience, very well versed as an Ump & coach. Nice guy.
Sometime during the game, somebody from my side yelled "GET SOME GLASSES UMP!" well, the Ump looked in our direction & shook his head. He told my wife who was keeping/running the game on Game Changer that he wasn't happy with that. He also told me that at the end of the game. This guy took the time during the game to come over & school my team real quick on the finer points of bunting, I appreciated that.

I had make a blanket statement on our baseball site that if parents get rowdy they will be removed by the Ump PLUS their kid sits on the bench for the rest of the game. I said I don't ever want to be put in that position so please show so respect at all times.

Does it ever end?

b.

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

#53 2019-05-16 6:49pm

bnd
Pro Member
Website

It was pretty quiet on the western front for the past week or more until today.

What would you do in this situation.........

This involves asshole dad & his son also. The kid has missed 1 1/2 weeks of practice because he was sick. He's going on 3 games missed as of tomorrow, the dad texted me today stating they would be out of town on vacation till Monday but will be at that game. Next week is our last week of regular season then after Memorial Day the tournament starts.
The kid is going to be a huge liability. No practice, no game time, the kid already is last in the batting order & has almost zero skills as stated in the first post.

We have really hit our stride & are going into the playoffs riding high. Do I reach out to the Dad & ask him if his kid really has his heart into this or not?
If he misses next Mondays game, I'll ask the league for some advice.

b.

#54 2019-05-16 7:30pm

Arsenal2012
Pro MemberBeer Fridge
For Sale: 4

Play the kid the whole game at 1st base start him batting.

In Playoffs bench him, its what you want to do anyways. Tell his dad to F off and hopefully you make baberuth world series or whatever great kids tournament is important these days.

“We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?”
- 451* F

#55 2019-05-16 10:27pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
Bikes: 2

Playoffs, you field the team that gives the best chance to win.  Period.  You and those kids and parents who cared enough to compete didn't work your tails off for nothing. 

I'm a captain of my summer dart league and come crunch time I make it known that is my MO. Don't like it, show me a reason to play you over someone else.

#56 2019-05-17 2:57am

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

bnd wrote:

It was pretty quiet on the western front for the past week or more until today.

What would you do in this situation.........

This involves asshole dad & his son also. The kid has missed 1 1/2 weeks of practice because he was sick. He's going on 3 games missed as of tomorrow, the dad texted me today stating they would be out of town on vacation till Monday but will be at that game. Next week is our last week of regular season then after Memorial Day the tournament starts.
The kid is going to be a huge liability. No practice, no game time, the kid already is last in the batting order & has almost zero skills as stated in the first post.

We have really hit our stride & are going into the playoffs riding high. Do I reach out to the Dad & ask him if his kid really has his heart into this or not?
If he misses next Mondays game, I'll ask the league for some advice.

b.

I think it depends on what the league rules are. Most youth leagues have a rule that a player must play so many innings or whatever.

Just play him however you did before he was sick. I wouldn't change that just because you're hitting your stride. If it messes things up, so be it.

#57 2019-05-17 8:50am

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

I wouldn’t ask the dad if his kid wanted to be there, I would ask the kid.  I would stress to the kid you wanted an honest answer.  A simple, “how are you enjoying this season?” will tell you so much.  If he says he isn’t, then ask him why.  To cover yourself, you could go to each player in practice and ask them the same question.

I don’t care what anyone says, playing baseball is always more fun when you are winning.  Everyone, especially the kids, enjoy it more.  Teaching the kids the game of baseball, how to be competitive, sportsmanship, never quiting, respecting everyone in their roles, and how each individual contributes to the team winning should be the goals.  Those are more easily accomplished when the kids learn the fundamentals and win.  One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard in regards to youth baseball was: “With many kids, in their eyes, the game they are playing now is the most important game they have played in their lives.”  From that perspective, I always tried to hold each practice and game with respect to that statement.

Parents are the worst part of the game.  The best parents I had when I coached were the ones that understood the game and their kids abilities.  The worst were the ones that never played, didn’t understand baseball, and wanted their kid to have the “best”.  I also had parents bring the drama in their personal lives to the field.  That had to be stopped quickly.  I had to remind myself to thank each of the good parents individually for their contribution and approach to the team’s success.   Focusing on the good caused me to no focus on the bad parents.  If I didn’t, they would take up too much of my thought with their stupidity. 

As far as who was responsible for controlling the parents? That is always the coaches responsibility unless a parent comes onto the field.  The umpire should only be concerned with the players, coaches, and what is going on between the baselines.  If you have an umpire get upset by a fan comment, that umpire hasn’t been doing it long, isn’t very good, or hasn’t had the proper training.  When I coached, I always had a standing rule with parents that I would argue the calls and asked them to not make any direct comments to the umpires.  That helped eliminate the parent/umpire issues.  One thing though, I wouldn’t punish the kid for the parents actions.  I would ask the parent to leave or have a director make them leave.  The kid is going to be embarrassed enough if their parent is ejected.

How do you structure your practices?  What is your team’s favorite drill to run?  I always tried to have fun no matter what we were doing- even running sprints (I always ran sprints with them).

Last edited by cmb (2019-05-17 9:16am)

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#58 2019-05-17 9:07am

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

bnd wrote:

Last nights game, we dug ourselves another hole in the 1st inning we couldn't get out of, a bridge too far. Anyways, the Ump is this old-timer, I mean he's in his late 70's but has a lifetime of experience, very well versed as an Ump & coach. Nice guy.
Sometime during the game, somebody from my side yelled "GET SOME GLASSES UMP!" well, the Ump looked in our direction & shook his head. He told my wife who was keeping/running the game on Game Changer that he wasn't happy with that. He also told me that at the end of the game. This guy took the time during the game to come over & school my team real quick on the finer points of bunting, I appreciated that.

I had make a blanket statement on our baseball site that if parents get rowdy they will be removed by the Ump PLUS their kid sits on the bench for the rest of the game. I said I don't ever want to be put in that position so please show so respect at all times.

Does it ever end?

b.

I umpired little league from the time I was 15 until I was in my early 20s. I heard all kinds of comments from the kids, coaches, and spectators. I knew to just let it roll off of me, especially since I had also been in the same position (yelling at an ump). I can't believe a seasoned umpire would be bothered by some heckling as long as it's not profanity-laced or completely out of hand. "You suck" or "You need glasses" is pretty standard stuff to expect.

#59 2019-05-17 9:49am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

Thanks for the input fellas. I really enjoy seeing all sides and some of the advice is really solid.
Keep you updated.

b.

#60 2019-05-19 3:35pm

Schmittstix
Pro Member

-

Last edited by Schmittstix (2019-06-10 6:54am)

I hate chrome bikes.... I own a chrome om flyer hmm

#61 2019-06-09 3:11pm

bnd
Pro Member
Website

Our season officially ended yesterday with a nice team party at a trampoline park.
We lost in a semi final & ended up 4th out of a 9 team division. Near the end the parent problems ended but with another teams assistant coaches rising to the challenge & became public enemy #! in the league. Since I was the new guy in town, in our semi I reached a boiling point with their behavior & in the 3rd I read the head coach the riot act. No F-bombs but damn near close to it. I ripped him and his assistants a new ahole & we ended up losing a close one. I filed a formal complaint with the league & they said "stand in line" & they will deal with them at the end of the season.

Anyways, my son was voted in by other coaches as one of the few 11 yr olds to be an All-Star. I was very proud of him as I was of our other 12 yr olds that got voted in.
I will coach again next year in this league but it will be my last. The next level is Babe Ruth, 13-15 yr olds and that's out of my skill set to be honest with you. The positives out weighed the negatives overall.
God bless volunteer coaches in any sport.

b.

#62 2019-06-10 6:41am

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink

bnd wrote:

Our season officially ended yesterday with a nice team party at a trampoline park.
We lost in a semi final & ended up 4th out of a 9 team division. Near the end the parent problems ended but with another teams assistant coaches rising to the challenge & became public enemy #! in the league. Since I was the new guy in town, in our semi I reached a boiling point with their behavior & in the 3rd I read the head coach the riot act. No F-bombs but damn near close to it. I ripped him and his assistants a new ahole & we ended up losing a close one. I filed a formal complaint with the league & they said "stand in line" & they will deal with them at the end of the season.

Anyways, my son was voted in by other coaches as one of the few 11 yr olds to be an All-Star. I was very proud of him as I was of our other 12 yr olds that got voted in.
I will coach again next year in this league but it will be my last. The next level is Babe Ruth, 13-15 yr olds and that's out of my skill set to be honest with you. The positives out weighed the negatives overall.
God bless volunteer coaches in any sport.

b.

What was the issue?

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#63 2019-06-10 11:19am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

1st & 3rd base coaches distracting our pitchers on purpose. As soon as they got into their set and windup, they would look right at the pitchers, scream and yell as loud as hey could. Grown 40 yr old men.
Having kids do it is one thing but adults is another on purpose. All the other teams have had serious issues with these guys and there were a number of complaints.
Two of my pitchers during the season had meltdowns on the mound because of it.
Oh yeah, I had a player on 3rd leading off, the 3rd base coach told his pitcher “don’t worry about him, he’s slow”.
This player of mine just lost his dad a little over a year ago and is still trying to deal with it. My son and another told me that & thank god I didn’t hear that in person.
The kid isn’t slow and is my starting 2nd baseman. His dad was his coach growing up. I’ve made a note of that and I’ll bring it up at a future board/coaches meeting.

b.

#64 2019-06-12 7:25pm

folzinal
Pro MemberAre They Here Yet?
Bikes: 7

I've coached for the past 20+ years...50+ baseball teams, basketball, football.  I have pretty much dealt with every thinkable situation as a director, board member and coach.  Hell, my youngest son learned the f-word from a mom who left a scathing message on my home answering machine. Her son's piano lessons were on the same night as the games and we wouldn't redo the league schedule to accomodate.

This was my best purchase as a board member.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/82673/20170713_1656515d01b3298c.jpg

#65 2019-07-02 5:53am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

The baseball season officially ended last night.
My son got picked to be on the 11U All-Star team, played SS, only player not to be rotated out & pitched in 2 games, including last night. We played in 3 tourneys & did ok. Yesterday was single elimination in the State Tourney. We tied it about halfway through but other team made some plays & we lost.

This was my sons 1st year at a higher City ball level & 1st year picked on an All-Star team. Overall it was a great experience for him. We are blessed that our kids are natural athletes & can do pretty well at anything they have tried.
I'm still on the fence about coaching next Spring but my son wants me to so I'd imagine when April comes around, my batteries will be recharged & I'll do it again.

Bigtime commitment & if you want to do good at it, it turns into a full time job for sure.

b.

#66 2020-03-02 6:43am

jberg27
Pro Member
Bikes: 33

This thread started about the bad side of youth sports parents; I just wanted to share a great experience I just had.  We finished our 5v5 10 year old flag football season Saturday and I had the best group of parents I've seen in a long time.  This was my second season coaching this team and we went from 0-8 to going undefeated and winning our season-end tournament. 

The first season was rough but the kids didn't want to give up.  I came back and doubled down on the prep work and everything fell into place (the games are won during practice).  Watching how much the kids put into it and then winning was so rewarding.  I'm two days out now and I'm still finding myself stopping every once and awhile and just smiling.  It's quite a bit of work, but if you get the chance to coach I would absolutely recommend it.

#67 2020-03-02 9:35am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

Thanks for your story!

I don’t have time right now but real quick, I’m coaching again and the league regrouped & is way more professional, by the book & isn’t taking any shit from bad parents or coaches.

It was my job to write up a Sportsmanship & Etiquette paper.
It went over well. Just common sense stuff.
I’ll post it up tonight.

b.

#68 2020-03-03 6:10am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

This is what I put together.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/54248/e64b2476-988b-4be4-ad8b-3f81c5491f565e5e6556a1.jpeg

b.

Board footer

View Cart →