You are not logged in.

Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX  RSS Feed

#76 2013-03-25 9:52pm

PJs Bike O Rama
Pro Member
From: Seattle
Registered: 2013-03-09
Posts: 43
Bikes: 7

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

very fancy


"Uh yo man is that Kentucky Fried"

Offline

 

#77 2013-09-20 7:14pm

kencameron
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2013-09-20
Posts: 1

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Hey guys,

Back in the day I was the first welder that stated the Homeless frame building shop when we were subleasing space from an art supply manufacturer on east 4th street.  We made one prototype 24" cruiser while I worked there.  This looks like the one that I made because I had to put a bend in the seat stays just above the drop outs.  We used the same drop outs from the 20" bikes.  This one having a some what longer rear end to accommodate the 24" tire needed to have the seat stays bent to meet the seat tube cluster in the place that they normally joined.  Very rare bike indeed.  I worked fro Greg for the first year and a half that the company was building bikes in Austin.  There were a couple of other guys that welded frames there.  Jason was a guy I trained.  He was pretty easy to train though as his dad was a machinist at a plant that I later worked at.  Any way.  I can't say for sure that there were never any other 24" bikes made, but that I only ever made the one.  Honestly I would be surprised if they did make more.  It was not really a big thing for Greg.  just a little experiment.  We did not make any more of this particular design because the geometry was off some how.  Bottom bracket was too high or some thing.  The few cruiser guys that rode it liked their Kastans better or something.  It was built it the indestructible tank style popular for the day.  I think the cruiser guys liked their bikes lighter.  Nice find.   It's great to see some of my early work.   

-Ken Cameron

Offline

 

#78 2013-09-20 10:11pm

dedmann
Pro Member"is Air-Cooled"
From: the Zone
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 4923
Bikes: 10

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

great info & thanks for sharing.
welcome aboard.....


PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

Offline

 

#79 2013-09-21 3:58am

jeffc43
Pro Member
From: MI
Registered: 2011-04-29
Posts: 884
Bikes: 61

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Very cool, welcome and thanks for the backstory info, Ken!  smile

Offline

 

#80 2013-09-21 5:19am

Advan
Pro MemberHey Santa, you geriatric wanker...where's my bike?
From: Atlanta, GA
Registered: 2006-12-01
Posts: 3938
Bikes: 34

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Very cool Ken!


Wanted- White Industries Freewheel 19T and 20T, and Big Gulp bars- because I think they look goofy enough to cruise with!

Offline

 

#81 2013-09-21 7:48am

RyanPartridge
Pro Member26" Cruisin' with a Coaster Brake
From: Huntington Beach
Registered: 2006-11-17
Posts: 2429
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 2

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Awesome info! Thanks for posting!

I got to see this bike in person and it truly is badass. cool

Offline

 

#82 2013-09-21 2:28pm

cmc
Pro Member
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 3972
Bikes: 8

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

kencameron wrote:

Hey guys,

Back in the day I was the first welder that stated the Homeless frame building shop when we were subleasing space from an art supply manufacturer on east 4th street.  We made one prototype 24" cruiser while I worked there.  This looks like the one that I made because I had to put a bend in the seat stays just above the drop outs.  We used the same drop outs from the 20" bikes.  This one having a some what longer rear end to accommodate the 24" tire needed to have the seat stays bent to meet the seat tube cluster in the place that they normally joined.  Very rare bike indeed.  I worked fro Greg for the first year and a half that the company was building bikes in Austin.  There were a couple of other guys that welded frames there.  Jason was a guy I trained.  He was pretty easy to train though as his dad was a machinist at a plant that I later worked at.  Any way.  I can't say for sure that there were never any other 24" bikes made, but that I only ever made the one.  Honestly I would be surprised if they did make more.  It was not really a big thing for Greg.  just a little experiment.  We did not make any more of this particular design because the geometry was off some how.  Bottom bracket was too high or some thing.  The few cruiser guys that rode it liked their Kastans better or something.  It was built it the indestructible tank style popular for the day.  I think the cruiser guys liked their bikes lighter.  Nice find.   It's great to see some of my early work.   

-Ken Cameron

Are you still in Austin ?


20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

Offline

 

#83 2013-09-22 1:07am

Nbl 49a
Pro Member
From: Scottsdale, AZ..og New York
Registered: 2006-11-14
Posts: 1229

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Awesome stuff. I unfortunately missed this thread until now.


Please come join our teams on Facebook, at S&M Bmx USA, Kastan Collectors, Freestylin’ Magazine, Cycle Craft Collectors, TNT Bicycles Group, 90’s Bmx, and Old School Bmx Arizona.

Offline

 

#84 2016-08-25 8:29am

smokin steve styler
Pro Member"The Marshall"
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2007-06-11
Posts: 610
Bikes: 2

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

It has a few years since this thread was posted to.
Figured I would bump with a current photo.
Coming Soon: Look on Snakebite BMX web site for a more in depth look at this bike and the story behind it.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/6488/img_327857bf0ebad6.jpg


Always Looking for First Gen Homeless Bikes items. PM me if you have someting for sale.

Offline

 

#85 2016-08-25 9:01am

JHARJO
Pro Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 3064
Bikes: 2

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Love this bike. Looking forward to article. cool


"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Offline

 

#86 2016-08-25 9:08am

Texasbmx
Pro Member
From: TX
Registered: 2014-05-16
Posts: 7656
Website

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Love it. You did it right

Offline

 

#87 2016-08-30 12:15am

cmc
Pro Member
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 3972
Bikes: 8

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Angel needs to get his Fatty up here.


20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

Offline

 

#88 2016-08-31 8:46pm

thesega
Pro MemberLOWBALLER FO' LIFE!!
From: Texas
Registered: 2009-12-15
Posts: 3874
Bikes: 8
Website

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Here is the another one. Not to Hi Jack the Thread. Just for Reference.
Was made later and not made by the same guy who made Steve's. Thread less Headset

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt77/segamaster/00H0H_24LLz3P1dKr_600x450.jpg

Last edited by thesega (2016-08-31 8:48pm)


I always hated when people Split the F/F. The Fork goes to that frame So why split it?
true ballers only ride proto-types
"This show is stupid, Turn it up louder"
jimmybills: 'costco broke my glove box'

Offline

 

#89 2016-08-31 10:30pm

Haro7
Pro Member
From: Texas
Registered: 2007-10-15
Posts: 1961
Bikes: 7

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

smokin steve styler wrote:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/6488/img_327857bf0ebad6.jpg

SOOOO jealous !!!  tongue

Awesome bike !!!


Looking for :

  * ACS Z-rim hoops/wheels in pink "Woody Itson" signature model …  * NOS/Mint Shimano DX pedals in Red or Blue ... * NOS/Mint Suntour XC-II pedals  9/16 ... * NOS / Mint Sugino 40 or 42 chain ring chrome  ...  * NOS / Mint MKS Grafight-X pedals  ...  * NOS chrome MX 1000 brakes  ...  * NOS  Tuf Neck power disc & chain ring in GOLD  ... 

Offline

 

#90 2016-09-01 10:23am

4130_stoner
Pro MemberPot(tery) Barn CEO
From: Oakland, ca
Registered: 2013-05-25
Posts: 2210
Bikes: 2

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

thesega wrote:

Here is the another one. Not to Hi Jack the Thread. Just for Reference.
Was made later and not made by the same guy who made Steve's. Thread less Headset

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt77 … 00x450.jpg

Nice!cool


riding 20''s, and smoking herb for as long as i can remember.....damn short term memory loss!

Cheap girls are like cheap bike parts. Both will send you to see the doctor.-77Rider

Offline

 

#91 2016-09-01 12:26pm

smokin steve styler
Pro Member"The Marshall"
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2007-06-11
Posts: 610
Bikes: 2

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Here is a link to Snakebite BMX website featuring the Fatty Cruiser.
http://www.snakebitebmx.com/steven-tyle … #more-6448


Always Looking for First Gen Homeless Bikes items. PM me if you have someting for sale.

Offline

 

#92 2016-09-01 3:11pm

JHARJO
Pro Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 3064
Bikes: 2

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

smokin steve styler wrote:

Here is a link to Snakebite BMX website featuring the Fatty Cruiser.
http://www.snakebitebmx.com/steven-tyle … #more-6448

Sweet write up! I'm glad it is getting featured and the story told. Such a bad ass bike! big_smile


"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Offline

 

#93 2016-09-13 3:42pm

cmc
Pro Member
From: Austin, TX
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 3972
Bikes: 8

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

I got in contact with one of the Homeless welders (Jason N.).  He said he'll be chiming in.  cool


20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

Offline

 

#94 2016-09-13 3:55pm

Texasbmx
Pro Member
From: TX
Registered: 2014-05-16
Posts: 7656
Website

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

cmc wrote:

I got in contact with one of the Homeless welders (Jason N.).  He said he'll be chiming in.  cool

good work!

Offline

 

#95 2020-01-25 4:54am

Rolexmd69bmxaloT
Pro Member
From: Tarpon Springs Florida
Registered: 2018-07-25
Posts: 220
Bikes: 20

Re: Homeless Bikes 24" Cruiser Frame Hecho En Austin TX

Does anyone know what year the 9th st trails actually started?  I grew up 7 hrs south where we had zero bmx scene but started traveling up the state in 93 when I was able to drive.  Austin was the Mecca in the 1990’s if you lived in Texas.


Life is short.  Spend it!  Looking for: I will PAY top dollar for a Fishbone 1-1/8 X-UFO  detangler.  Also need Hevron Haro stem.  Have mid school goodness to trade also.

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →