You are not logged in.

the old guys who still want to ride thread!  RSS Feed

#3101 2019-11-12 6:18am

Woodmaster
Pro MemberCat got my tongue
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 1

Re: the old guys who still want to ride thread!

So what's the age requirement in this thread?
smile

If all of mankind, minus one, were of an opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                                                                                               Thomas Middleton

#3102 2019-11-12 6:19am

Woodmaster

TuRBo Todd wrote:

One week ago. First tire grab I’ve done on the mtb, and the first one in so many years (decades maybe?) I can’t even remember. http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … cc943.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … ccd6d.jpeg

Balls man.

If all of mankind, minus one, were of an opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                                                                                               Thomas Middleton

#3103 2019-11-12 6:19am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

Woodmaster wrote:

smile

40+

ride your bike until it breaks.

#3104 2019-11-12 7:02am

Woodmaster

pwh4130 wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

smile

40+

5 more years then. Later.

Thomas Middleton

#3105 2019-11-12 7:40am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

Woodmaster wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

smile

40+

25-35 is still in your prime!  Take it from those of  us who have been there.

#3106 2019-11-12 7:51am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer
Bikes: 2

pwh4130 wrote:

Marty- That's awesome. Must feel so fun to lay that over and float.

Laugh- Better your bars than your wrist!  Next year you need to build a landing ramp!

Actually it's funny you would say because prior to getting back into BMX I spent roughly five years progressively getting more intense in the weightlifting and bodybuilding. I got to the point where I had to wear lifting gloves with wrist wraps on them I was bench pressing 305 lbs and I weigh 165. Needless to say that is no longer the case LOL! But one takeaway was the importance of wrist support when significant stress is placed on the joint. However the one thing I did not consider was having some sort of brace for each thumb. A very painfully costly laps! Because I hyper-extended both of them and dislocated one of them. And now that it's getting colder out the large joint at the base  each thumb are both starting to hurt a little bit just without doing anything. And I have to admit that I really never truly appreciated the reality that opposable thumbs are quite necessary for just everyday survival as well as BMX riding! Interesting thing however is that while I am riding and using braces that I subsequently custom tailored for my specific issues, which absolutely allow me to do whatever type of Ariel and Landing without having any type of pain. But the day after especially with this cold weather that we are having now in Kansas my thumbs are not happy campers! Doubt less they need some time to heal so it is a blessing in disguise that the freezing temperatures takes riding off the table for significant amount of time this time of year. Here in Kansas!!

And I have considered building a landing ramp actually. But I am not certain that it wouldn't pose a greater danger to me then the force is at work during a flat Landing, LOL I have an image in my head of sailing through the air comfortably dropping down and falling short nose dive crunch right into the front of the landing ramp over the bars I go and break my collarbone for something worse LOL! Because believe it or not I have never ever done any type of BMX or other bicycle jumping where I had both a takeoff and Landing ramp. Back in the day, most of the kids I knew well all the kids I knew when we wanted to build a ramp to jump it was simply a ramp jump land as opposed to what evolved and became the takeoff and Landing ramp like Daredevil our stunt jumpers on motorcycles have used forever.

1 though I am seriously considering doing the landing ramp thing, because while it may take me a little bit of practice time I am certain that I can rather quickly adapt to that form of takeoff and Landing. In which case I would also increase the pitch of the last quarter or so of my take off ramp in order to be able to get more air and do more sophisticated stunts. The one primary source of resistance great resistance at that Prospect would definitely be my wife! Not because she'd be worried about me taking my front end into the landing ramp but because she would realize that it would mean my desire to get even more air more distance and thus more risk. Regardless I'm subscribed to this thread and it will come in and update should that transpire. And until then I'll keep doing what I'm doing and enjoying it all the way.

Peace

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming
And there's nothin' you can do about it!"

#3107 2019-11-12 8:57am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

Landing ramps are great.  You set it three feet back, jump it a few times and move it to four feet back.  Just keep stretching it to where you are comfortable.  My friends and I did a tour with 3' high ramps and would jump 20' gaps like it was nothing because we did it every day.

#3108 2019-11-12 9:43am

Woodmaster

pwh4130 wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

40+

I'm 34 now so you're saying it's pretty much downhill from here?

Thomas Middleton

#3109 2019-11-12 9:43am

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

pwh4130 wrote:

Landing ramps are great.  You set it three feet back, jump it a few times and move it to four feet back.  Just keep stretching it to where you are comfortable.  My friends and I did a tour with 3' high ramps and would jump 20' gaps like it was nothing because we did it every day.

Oh hexk yeah Im sure.  Im going to build one to start getting used to using it...then Im going to jump my car, suitably similar to the popular subject for a set up like those from bitd...http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/121684/20190531_1810195da89e2f8a.jpg

Seriuosly, no joke.  Was already considering the jumping my sports car replication of a couple of the more notable final photos in our magazines from back in the day.

But don't hold your breath because I'm not about to go out and just do it because you get one shot in my opinion and you make it or you don't. I do not intend on the second of those two options occurring!cool

HUTCH please, neat or on the rocks;  black'n'chrome or chrome'n'black, pure and unadulterated...like savoring a 20 year old single malt Scotch.  If I wanted a candy color flavor, I'd have ordered a glass of Haro.

"Stop the car, I'm gettin' out.  I can't take it.  Hey look out there's somebody coming

#3110 2019-11-12 10:02am

astroidbeltwalker
Pro Member
For Sale: 6

3000 nice choice awd?

by appointment only 9142994654
please do not ship my items upsp.thank you.have a nice day.

#3111 2019-11-12 10:39am

Mattybmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Woodmaster wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

I started racing bmx in 1980 and turned A-pro in 88..Raced tough (and always rode jumps, before we called them "trails") through 99..Had a stint of Road racing and MTB, but really didn't get back into the "Trails" until I hit 37, so 2007... I've had a couple good injuries, (but not nearly as many as when I raced), and I really think these last few years I'm riding almost at my best, at 49 (turning 50 next week). I also have the (somewhat) luxury of working in the bike biz as an outside sales rep, so bikes ARE (a big chunk) of my life.. Jumped more lines this past year at Catty and POSH and at my local trails I dig at, jumping our "30's" which, well, they are really frickin big..3x 30'rs..

I also ride road and mtb bikes, do yoga, lift a bit and run, eat minimal meat, to help stay fit and ready for this "game" of bmx..I guess what I'm saying, age is just a number, stay in shape, and on your bike several days a week consistently, as, to me, riding my bikes is really my area where I find peace and pleasure..bmx is the toughest bike in the quiver to master and stay on top of, and it demands respect and work to be able to do at a high level..Just my ol .02..ride on!

#3112 2019-11-12 11:31am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

Woodmaster wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

Honestly, I felt the same until I hit 46.  Within a month after my birthday, I started feeling tired in the morning for the first time.  I felt my brute strength going away.  On the flip side, my endurance improved.  I couldn't pick up heavy stuff like I used to but a 30 mile bike ride was nothing.  I chalk it up to age or testosterone dropping.  It's odd getting older.  I just keep doing the right stuff and now leave the heavy lifting to the young bucks, like you.  You've got plenty of good time ahead of you.

#3113 2019-11-12 11:34am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

Mattybmx wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

I started racing bmx in 1980 and turned A-pro in 88..Raced tough (and always rode jumps, before we called them "trails") through 99..Had a stint of Road racing and MTB, but really didn't get back into the "Trails" until I hit 37, so 2007... I've had a couple good injuries, (but not nearly as many as when I raced), and I really think these last few years I'm riding almost at my best, at 49 (turning 50 next week). I also have the (somewhat) luxury of working in the bike biz as an outside sales rep, so bikes ARE (a big chunk) of my life.. Jumped more lines this past year at Catty and POSH and at my local trails I dig at, jumping our "30's" which, well, they are really frickin big..3x 30'rs..

I also ride road and mtb bikes, do yoga, lift a bit and run, eat minimal meat, to help stay fit and ready for this "game" of bmx..I guess what I'm saying, age is just a number, stay in shape, and on your bike several days a week consistently, as, to me, riding my bikes is really my area where I find peace and pleasure..bmx is the toughest bike in the quiver to master and stay on top of, and it demands respect and work to be able to do at a high level..Just my ol .02..ride on!

I live near Philadelphia and might have seen you at Catty and Posh.  I'm also a sales rep, for Subrosa/ Shadow.  I ride all kinds of bikes and do yoga as well.  The only difference is I have always been a freestyle guy with just 3 years of racing under my belt from 2005-08.

#3114 2019-11-12 2:10pm

Woodmaster

pwh4130 wrote:

Woodmaster wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Honestly, I felt the same until I hit 46.  Within a month after my birthday, I started feeling tired in the morning for the first time.  I felt my brute strength going away.  On the flip side, my endurance improved.  I couldn't pick up heavy stuff like I used to but a 30 mile bike ride was nothing.  I chalk it up to age or testosterone dropping.  It's odd getting older.  I just keep doing the right stuff and now leave the heavy lifting to the young bucks, like you.  You've got plenty of good time ahead of you.

Starting to feel that chill in my bones when the winds change, crashes stay with me longer, one of my girls is as tall as me now, definitely conscious of the fact I'm getting older. On the upside, with age comes a certain amount of respect, not feeling the need to prove my worth to the older folks. One of our retired delivery drivers told me once," life is like a roll of toilet paper, once you get to the end it goes pretty quick".

Thomas Middleton

#3115 2019-11-12 3:20pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding

At 46, i feel like my best year are behind me. With that said, in 2019 i was probably more happy with my riding than previous years. In 2017 i had an idea for a link, backwards hang 5 in a full circle, to backwards manual full circle. It took me until August of this year, but i finally got it! Damn it felt good! Now, with that said, im injured and possibly facing a relatively long recovery. Likely my rotator cuff, or hopefully just damaged tendons and/or muscles in my upper arm.  Got an xray today, scheduled for an mri on Monday. Its pretty painful,  haven't worked, rode, or even slept very well since Thursday. Pretty bummed out.

Either of you industry guys have a line on a job for me? I probably need to get out of construction. 25 years of it has wore me out pretty badly.

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2019!  Almost made it! Torn rotator cuff early November! Bummed!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#3116 2019-11-12 3:43pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

astroidbeltwalker wrote:

3000 nice choice awd?

Yep 92 3kgt VR4...ONLY mods are the Antera Opus1 wheels and a SS Catless 3" dual single tip exhaust.  100k on odo.  Speedo needle is 180mph.  Ive gotten up to 167mph and still accellerating on I 70 in Western Kansas the flaaaaaat part of the state.  But had to shit it down because of highway construction.

big_smilecool

#3117 2019-11-12 3:50pm

LaughnJar
Pro MemberMuseum Lawyer

pwh4130 wrote:

Now youve got me thinking...hmmmm

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/121684/photo_15736016642205dcb44634b.jpg

Heal up well over winter and start practicimg for a new challenge in spring, lol,!!!!
wink
Peace

#3118 2019-11-13 12:55pm

Mattybmx
Pro Member

matt thomas wrote:

At 46, i feel like my best year are behind me. With that said, in 2019 i was probably more happy with my riding than previous years. In 2017 i had an idea for a link, backwards hang 5 in a full circle, to backwards manual full circle. It took me until August of this year, but i finally got it! Damn it felt good! Now, with that said, im injured and possibly facing a relatively long recovery. Likely my rotator cuff, or hopefully just damaged tendons and/or muscles in my upper arm.  Got an xray today, scheduled for an mri on Monday. Its pretty painful,  haven't worked, rode, or even slept very well since Thursday. Pretty bummed out.

Either of you industry guys have a line on a job for me? I probably need to get out of construction. 25 years of it has wore me out pretty badly.

hey old bmx bro's, I thought about my earlier comment, and wanted to say, by no means do I NOT hurt. My main reason for my "retirement" from bmx racing was multiple shoulder dislocations during my 20's and 2x surgeries. Then I backed that up by a snowboard huck to flat and a blown ACL. Racing was a win,  take out or die mentality and I weighed in at 150..Not much chance against the steroid bound muscle men of the 90's..Needless to say, I'm bone on bone in my shoulder, and I recall the doc saying when I got older (now) I'd be a candidate for a shoulder replacement. And it aches quite a bit, especially when digging.. Tying to be diligent about frequent re-hab and keep nursing, as again, just trying to have fun and stay in this "game" and not have to go under the knife...tough (mentally and physically)at times, crazy, and somewhat irresponsible..yes yes and yes. Probably one of the reasons for my divorce..oh well..I'm happy and that's what counts..All I can say is keep trying and keep moving..what are the other options?!? And yes, I'm lucky I don't have a very physical job, I know I wouldn't be riding where I'm at if I was on a ladder drilling and hammering at 7am every day..I'm on the road/ drive a lot to visit accounts, haul in samples and materials, do presentations and shake hands, check into hotels or Airbnb's, search for wifi and a place to eat, follow up and peck/call away..lots of lip service tho lol..(oh and try and go ride)..

And as far as industry jobs Matt, it's really really tough. Toughest time Ive seen in the bike biz that I've spent 26 years now in..No one has it easy..So many styles of bikes and ways to buy em..I have carved out a bit of niche (and a resume)..and am somewhat diversified, but do this independently, and pay my own expenses, which ain't very easy (or cheap)... I sell for Marin Bikes, Pinarello, Subrosa BMX, POC, and Lezyne..There are now only so many industry "office" jobs, and most don't pay much (in the beginning) ..The repping game, I hustle many brands and I'm a rolling shite show at times, as are many (most) of my dealers..And as far as "factory" rep gigs, not many left, and if you're new, how you gonna take the Specialized rep w/ 20+ years experience's job? Not to say it can't be done, but it's gonna be a stretch..and if you have ?'s you can always DM me..Thx bros!

Last edited by Mattybmx (2019-11-13 12:57pm)

#3119 2019-11-13 1:45pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

I concur.  The Bike industry is tough.  Not a lot of money in it.  When I started back in 2007 I was told "There are 5 people behind you that will do your job for less just to be in the bike industry".  When it starts off with that attitude, you know it's going to be rough.  I love bikes and the industry but people that are sales reps in other fields are making way better money doing the same job.  Stick with what you know how to do and apply it to a different industry, especially if you have a family to support.

#3120 2019-11-13 2:05pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding

Thanks guys. I wasn't 100% serious, but would have listened  to any leads. Haha! I worked in a shop for a while, know plenty of guys here who still work in them or own them. Making a living in the bike industry is tough,  even harder in the bmx world. My body is telling me that my construction days might be just about done.

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2019!  Almost made it! Torn rotator cuff early November! Bummed!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#3121 2019-11-14 8:32am

TuRBo Todd
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

^Spoken truth by a couple of industry lifers (such as myself). If I didn’t love bikes, there’s no way I would have anything to do with the business.

Founder/Owner, Azusa & Secret Cycles.

#3122 2019-11-14 5:55pm

ricar
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

We have a kid selling out of his parents basement undercutting everyone. The problem is manufacturers keep supplying him. How do you compete with a kid who is willing to make 10 cents on a sale and has absolutely no overhead? He's killing local bike shops but since he does mail order, he is actually affecting the whole Canadian market.

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

#3123 2019-11-15 8:22am

Mattybmx
Pro Member

ricar wrote:

We have a kid selling out of his parents basement undercutting everyone. The problem is manufacturers keep supplying him. How do you compete with a kid who is willing to make 10 cents on a sale and has absolutely no overhead? He's killing local bike shops but since he does mail order, he is actually affecting the whole Canadian market.

1st thing, have the local bike shops (and reps) in the area complain to the vendors, distro's and mfg's about this guy. They should not be selling to a person running a shop out of their house and undercutting, it needs to be a stand alone store front w/ signage etc. 2nd; many brands have what's called "MAP" pricing, minimum advertised pricing. If he violates this (w/ ad's, website, on the internet, Instagram, etc) he should lose his ability to buy from those brands. It's the Wild wild west in retail these days, similar to a guy who brings a trailer (or a tent) out to the bmx races to vend..does he have a shop..? kinda, but not really..and now with mobile repair shops..good luck!

#3124 2019-11-15 8:24am

Mattybmx
Pro Member

and now back to real "old guy" bmx news..hope you all have a groovy weekend...season may be up here in the NW...rain's a coming..back to digging!!
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/102232/img_54495dced114a4.png

#3125 2019-11-15 4:34pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

I like this screen grab because my feet are pointing opposite directions.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/22582/img_41435dcf4494a7.png

Last edited by pwh4130 (2019-11-15 4:36pm)

Board footer

View Cart →