You are not logged in.

Retro's will they hold value  RSS Feed

#476 2019-08-11 1:50pm

Draw
Pro MemberRev on the Redline
From: Alabama
Registered: 2008-10-09
Posts: 9963
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 13

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Indyjps wrote:

Retros are playing off that nostalgia,  so 10 years from now,  nostalgia of nostalgia ??  Dont think it will stand.

this


Light, Strong, Cheap ... Pick two

Offline

 

#477 2019-08-24 7:02pm

made2drag
Pro Member
From: USA
Registered: 2012-03-15
Posts: 8529
Bikes: 8

Re: Retro's will they hold value

I still think a dude in high school now will in 20 years look back at the 2010-2020 era and might consider many different bikes to have in their collection.  The retro's should at least be hard to find, which usually spells collectable.  Usually.  Their uncle might be riding a 26" SE or maybe their dad or big brother.  If we think about it, there's got to be alot of guys on here that have bikes in their collection now that they never wanted or knew existed in the 80's.  When these high schoolers get the bug later who knows what they might collect.


Increase the Peace

Offline

 

#478 2019-09-20 9:33am

Meisterjim
Pro Member
From: Germany Frankfurt
Registered: 2013-05-12
Posts: 265
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

Re: Retro's will they hold value

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/155466/02acb6fb-db8e-4f73-9090-73aaa81467665d84ff3c87.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/155466/82c04926-f7fb-46dc-8a97-afc18ec8f88b5d84ff39a1.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/155466/fa9762d2-b492-462d-b877-0630164ef06a5d84ff39d1.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/155466/d5c2199d-8e98-4c6b-bc38-d7bc1725d2c85d84ff3c3c.jpeg

Offline

 

#479 2019-09-20 10:14am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
From: Virginia Beach, VA.
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 7769
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

Re: Retro's will they hold value

If you're into bikes then if it's retro/repop or not won't matter. Especially 20yrs from now if not sooner. Look at the repop Schwinn Stingrays. They were all over the place at first. Now look at what some of them are commanding. When you can find them.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Online

 

#480 2019-09-20 12:00pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member
From: Central Illinois.
Registered: 2013-10-11
Posts: 1055

Re: Retro's will they hold value

justlive wrote:

If you're into bikes then if it's retro/repop or not won't matter. Especially 20yrs from now if not sooner. Look at the repop Schwinn Stingrays. They were all over the place at first. Now look at what some of them are commanding. When you can find them.

This is a very good point .  I sold a walmart version like new with the receit and paperwork that was hanging on the bars for 325.00. That's was probably 3 years ago .  4 times what they sold for new.  These repop stingrays came out what 20 years ago or so .  Could these bikes be a perfect example of what's to come for retros ?  Sure looks like it to me .


80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

Offline

 

#481 2019-09-20 12:20pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member
Registered: 2012-08-13
Posts: 4937

Re: Retro's will they hold value

How valuable can they possibly be in the future with them being mass produced and flooding the market... cant be very valuable if they're is a plethora of them available.  wink


Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

Offline

 

#482 2019-09-20 12:51pm

DutchRipper
Pro MemberDUCKDUCKGO
From: Amsterdam
Registered: 2016-09-10
Posts: 1114
Bikes: 8

Re: Retro's will they hold value

https://cdn2.computeridee.nl/articles/goanimate.png

Last edited by DutchRipper (2019-09-20 12:51pm)


Hoe gaat het?

Offline

 

#483 2019-09-20 1:01pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member
From: Central Illinois.
Registered: 2013-10-11
Posts: 1055

Re: Retro's will they hold value

They have been out now for around 20 years for the repop stingrays .  At this point why do they pull 4 times the original cost on a walmart version ? I can't explain it but the numbers don't lie.  Keep in mind in the 90's bmx was dead and people and bike shops were practically giving stuff away.   Now what's happening ..prices are going up big time on that 90's stuff .  We didn't see it coming .   Do we have our blinders on again ?  Time will tell .  Like ole Joe Dirt said it's not what you like it's about the consumer.  Was he a mentally challenged person on the movie yep . Was he right yep.


80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

Offline

 

#484 2019-09-20 1:23pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Registered: 2007-06-28
Posts: 22733
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 3

Re: Retro's will they hold value

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

How valuable can they possibly be in the future with them being mass produced and flooding the market... cant be very valuable if they're is a plethora of them available.  wink

specially SE and HARO. they put out how many diff models of Retro a year? in what shipments of 1800 units per model. that's a shit load of bikes.


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#485 2019-09-20 1:40pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member
From: Central Illinois.
Registered: 2013-10-11
Posts: 1055

Re: Retro's will they hold value

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

How valuable can they possibly be in the future with them being mass produced and flooding the market... cant be very valuable if they're is a plethora of them available.  wink

specially SE and HARO. they put out how many diff models of Retro a year? in what shipments of 1800 units per model. that's a shit load of bikes.

My last post above was more aimed at the repop stingray stuff .  Which I'm not interested in personally.   I'm not sure about the haro retro production numbers  but a lot of the se stuff was limited from what I remember ( on some models ) .  I'm not big on the whole wheelie kids deal but that generation is pushing the brand hard.  I've collected with my son since he was very little and I'm sure he will be the one that figures out what's worth what in the future .  lol in another 20 years I'll be on one of those power chairs and probably won't care either way.


80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

Offline

 

#486 2019-09-20 1:42pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member
From: Central Illinois.
Registered: 2013-10-11
Posts: 1055

Re: Retro's will they hold value

I do appreciate and respect everyone's opinion on the subject.  Keep them coming...  We are all in this hobby together .


80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

Offline

 

#487 2019-09-20 2:18pm

72ss454
Pro MemberRETIRED SKATEBOARD COLLECTOR
From: Cullman, AL
Registered: 2010-08-26
Posts: 5849
Bikes: 4

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Bandbracing669 wrote:

justlive wrote:

If you're into bikes then if it's retro/repop or not won't matter. Especially 20yrs from now if not sooner. Look at the repop Schwinn Stingrays. They were all over the place at first. Now look at what some of them are commanding. When you can find them.

This is a very good point .  I sold a walmart version like new with the receit and paperwork that was hanging on the bars for 325.00. That's was probably 3 years ago .  4 times what they sold for new.  These repop stingrays came out what 20 years ago or so .  Could these bikes be a perfect example of what's to come for retros ?  Sure looks like it to me .

Now the Stingrays are around $300-$500 as soon as they release them for the crate reissues.  They have/had a couple of cheap ones available earlier this year on Amazon, but they were not one of the crate models.


I keep buying and selling, so I guess I wasn't happy with the four I had left.

Offline

 

#488 2019-09-20 2:23pm

cbrstar
Pro Member
From: Alberta Canada
Registered: 2016-07-25
Posts: 1836

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Old school gets good money because there were millions of kids who had them. But the bikes were either thrown away or wrecked.

In my area alone I gotta compete with at least 40 guys locally to score something. And that's not including the thousands of guys nationally asking the person to ship it. Demand = money.

There's what maybe a few thousand guys buying retros? In 20 years the demand won't be there.

If you like retro's that's cool. But at least ride the thing instead of polishing it in hopes of cashing in at retirement lol

Offline

 

#489 2019-09-20 2:33pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation
From: Chattanooga, TN
Registered: 2014-05-10
Posts: 1937
Bikes: 8

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Bandbracing669 wrote:

justlive wrote:

If you're into bikes then if it's retro/repop or not won't matter. Especially 20yrs from now if not sooner. Look at the repop Schwinn Stingrays. They were all over the place at first. Now look at what some of them are commanding. When you can find them.

This is a very good point .  I sold a walmart version like new with the receit and paperwork that was hanging on the bars for 325.00. That's was probably 3 years ago .  4 times what they sold for new.  These repop stingrays came out what 20 years ago or so .  Could these bikes be a perfect example of what's to come for retros ?  Sure looks like it to me .

So Walmart was selling Schwinn Stingrays for $81.25?  I really gotta call BS on that.

I know that's a good bit less than I paid for the Apple & Orange Krates I bought in 1999.

Offline

 

#490 2019-09-20 2:34pm

blue streak
Pro MemberAsks & Receives
From: Waynesboro, VA
Registered: 2007-07-18
Posts: 4966
Bikes: 20
For Sale: 38

Re: Retro's will they hold value

One of my retros strapped on the truck ready to go ride all weekend cool

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/7404/20190920_1732145d8545f13d.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/7404/20190920_1732315d854600b8.jpg

Offline

 

#491 2019-09-20 4:12pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member
From: Central Illinois.
Registered: 2013-10-11
Posts: 1055

Re: Retro's will they hold value

WalkerInTN wrote:

Bandbracing669 wrote:

justlive wrote:

If you're into bikes then if it's retro/repop or not won't matter. Especially 20yrs from now if not sooner. Look at the repop Schwinn Stingrays. They were all over the place at first. Now look at what some of them are commanding. When you can find them.

This is a very good point .  I sold a walmart version like new with the receit and paperwork that was hanging on the bars for 325.00. That's was probably 3 years ago .  4 times what they sold for new.  These repop stingrays came out what 20 years ago or so .  Could these bikes be a perfect example of what's to come for retros ?  Sure looks like it to me .

So Walmart was selling Schwinn Stingrays for $81.25?  I really gotta call BS on that.

I know that's a good bit less than I paid for the Apple & Orange Krates I bought in 1999.

Walmart stingrays were a fraction of the price when they came out . I'm almost sure that was a Black Friday or holiday deal .  And yes these were very cheap .  On top of that the walmart version and the bike shop versions were not the same bike.


80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

Offline

 

#492 2019-09-20 4:16pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member
From: Central Illinois.
Registered: 2013-10-11
Posts: 1055

Re: Retro's will they hold value

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/202040/image5d855dda17.jpg


80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

Offline

 

#493 2019-09-20 4:27pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Registered: 2007-06-28
Posts: 22733
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 3

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Bandbracing669 wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

How valuable can they possibly be in the future with them being mass produced and flooding the market... cant be very valuable if they're is a plethora of them available.  wink

specially SE and HARO. they put out how many diff models of Retro a year? in what shipments of 1800 units per model. that's a shit load of bikes.

My last post above was more aimed at the repop stingray stuff .  Which I'm not interested in personally.   I'm not sure about the haro retro production numbers  but a lot of the se stuff was limited from what I remember ( on some models ) .  I'm not big on the whole wheelie kids deal but that generation is pushing the brand hard.  I've collected with my son since he was very little and I'm sure he will be the one that figures out what's worth what in the future .  lol in another 20 years I'll be on one of those power chairs and probably won't care either way.

ya but you will still pimp it out. put some sky way graphite mags on. replace the grip on shiftier nob with a OAKLEY lol once a old schooler it sicks with you till you die tongue


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#494 2019-09-20 4:38pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
From: Virginia Beach, VA.
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 7769
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Does anyone have exact numbers of the retro/repop Haros that were made? I honestly don't think they made alot of them. I think it just seems like alot because they've been doing each year from the original 83' Freestyler to the 2019 Basuguard models. But  as far as each one I don't think there were nearly as many made as they made bitd. I think the originals will always out number the retro/repop stuff.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Online

 

#495 2019-09-20 4:39pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
From: Virginia Beach, VA.
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 7769
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

Re: Retro's will they hold value

justlive wrote:

Does anyone have exact numbers of the retro/repop Haros that were made? I honestly don't think they made alot of them. I think it just seems like alot because they've been doing each year from the original 83' Freestyler to the 2019 Basuguard models. But  as far as each one I don't think there were nearly as many made as they made bitd. I think the originals will always out number the retro/repop stuff.

I remember reading somewhere that when the 2018 models came out they were only doing like a run of 250ea? Correct me if I'm wrong.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Online

 

#496 2019-09-20 5:22pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation
From: Chattanooga, TN
Registered: 2014-05-10
Posts: 1937
Bikes: 8

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Bandbracing669 wrote:

WalkerInTN wrote:

Bandbracing669 wrote:


This is a very good point .  I sold a walmart version like new with the receit and paperwork that was hanging on the bars for 325.00. That's was probably 3 years ago .  4 times what they sold for new.  These repop stingrays came out what 20 years ago or so .  Could these bikes be a perfect example of what's to come for retros ?  Sure looks like it to me .

So Walmart was selling Schwinn Stingrays for $81.25?  I really gotta call BS on that.

I know that's a good bit less than I paid for the Apple & Orange Krates I bought in 1999.

Walmart stingrays were a fraction of the price when they came out . I'm almost sure that was a Black Friday or holiday deal .  And yes these were very cheap .  On top of that the walmart version and the bike shop versions were not the same bike.

Looking at the picture you posted, those were definitely different than the ones I have.  I thought you were talking about the Krates that Schwinn made back around 1999.  I stand corrected.

Offline

 

#497 2019-09-20 6:05pm

DUG
Pro Member
From: Idaho Falls, ID
Registered: 2009-02-28
Posts: 553
Bikes: 2

Re: Retro's will they hold value

There were two different versions of the repop stingrays the walmart version and the bike shop version. The bike shop version was higher end 
and were made with original quality parts from the original molds "supposedly". Only select high volume dealers got the grape krate version and it pulls decent money while the others were usually dismantled for there springers and there slicks ect.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/26368/sam_25185d8578e371.jpg

Last edited by DUG (2019-09-20 6:12pm)

Offline

 

#498 2019-09-20 6:27pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
From: Virginia Beach, VA.
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 7769
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

Re: Retro's will they hold value

DUG wrote:

There were two different versions of the repop stingrays the walmart version and the bike shop version. The bike shop version was higher end 
and were made with original quality parts from the original molds "supposedly". Only select high volume dealers got the grape krate version and it pulls decent money while the others were usually dismantled for there springers and there slicks ect.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 78e371.jpg

Right. And the bike shop ones also came with shifters.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Online

 

#499 2019-09-20 6:33pm

DUG
Pro Member
From: Idaho Falls, ID
Registered: 2009-02-28
Posts: 553
Bikes: 2

Re: Retro's will they hold value

No none of the repops came with shifters. They were basically outlawed back in the late 60,s due to kids racking themselves on them.

Offline

 

#500 2019-09-20 6:33pm

DUG
Pro Member
From: Idaho Falls, ID
Registered: 2009-02-28
Posts: 553
Bikes: 2

Re: Retro's will they hold value

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/26368/sam_41605d857e2c11.jpg
The orange krate in the front is og and the purple and the orange behind it are bike shop. repops.

Last edited by DUG (2019-09-20 6:35pm)

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →