You are not logged in.

The Last "Real" Mongoose Bikes  RSS Feed

#76 2015-08-11 3:32pm

cobra_standard
Pro Member
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 4

Re: The Last "Real" Mongoose Bikes

I don't usually chime in on these debates but it's an interesting one. 
I was never a Mongoose guy but after building an '82 KOS last year I will say that these US made mass market bikes were beautifully designed and engineered.  For a frameset that is over thirty years old the integrity of the build and the chrome has well and truly stood the test of time.  These bikes were built like tanks.  I doubt the post Chatsworth bikes will enjoy the same longevity.  The later Taiwanese just versions don't even hold a flame.  I see a cheap Mongoose on the street and cringe like it's an insult to my US made KOS. (don't even get me started on those awful KOS retro bikes :roll eyes:)   It's a stretch to consider it the same company.  The logos are similar but the product is not.

To be fair Taiwanese or other offshore production does not have to mean a cut in quality. 
Quality bikes have and will continue to be produced in Asia but it depends on the company overseeing the production and how many corners they are willing to cut to bang out some product under the previously respected name while maximizing their profit margin.  aka Walgoose.

To their credit Redline manufactures overseas but still produces well designed quality race ready bikes. If i started racing again I would throw down on a Flite 24" no question.  Those bikes are rad.   It is possible to produce a quality offshore bike but it's a bike that sells to a smaller more specialized market at a much higher price point.    wink

#77 2015-08-15 1:06am

johnng23604
U seen my "baseball"
Bikes: 44
Website

I have a few from various years past the desirables.
I grew up on mongoose in the 70s an early 80s.  Our kids were raised on mongoose in the 90s. An we even have some maintained walgoose bikes the grandkids are on.
Some of each are posted in my bikes.

I'm looking for the following frames, frame & forks or completes by BMX products:
MotoTrac (nickle or chrome), Racer-X or a Super-X (with the double gussets).
Thanks wink
I'm also johnng23604 at "Retro-goose", "VintageBMX" & "RADbmx"

#78 2015-08-23 4:59pm

tecnic1
Expert
Bikes: 7

Funny that I was just posting about how much I liked my Hooligan, then today I head to my skatepark and these dudes are there:
http://imgur.com/ZztWcl3.jpg

#79 2019-06-30 8:09am

Gunslingers
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

What was the 1st year and model of Mongoose that was manufactured in China? (Sorrybif already covered)

#80 2019-07-01 5:02pm

Gunslingers
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 1

hmm

#81 2019-07-01 5:15pm

AtariAger
Pro MemberPro Class
Bikes: 2

"1985" was the last year they were made in the states...BUT...remnants carried over for a few years.  I like to think these were the last of them.. sad

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/584/1c3c40e3-ec9a-4e63-bc79-ba32570ce7b75ad2846890.jpeg

'I've forgotten more than most ever knew'

#82 2019-07-01 5:34pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

I know I'm probably in the minority. But I had my share of early 80's Experts and Californians growing up. The mid 90's Expert Pros (these were the full cro-mo frames) were a perfect evolution of the og Mongoose looptail frames. So for me those were the last of the Mongoose looptail.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#83 2019-07-01 5:49pm

Blue_Max
Museum Addict
Bikes: 19

justlive wrote:

I know I'm probably in the minority. But I had my share of early 80's Experts and Californians growing up. The mid 90's Expert Pros (these were the full cro-mo frames) were a perfect evolution of the og Mongoose looptail frames. So for me those were the last of the Mongoose looptail.

I agree with you there, the expert pros still had the 80s styling but with 90s tech and rode great even the lower end Expert Comp and Menace were pretty good bikes. I feel once they got rid of the classic looptail frame design around 97 that it was kinda the end and the bikes from Mongoose started to go downhill after that in both looks and function.

#84 2019-07-01 6:11pm

AtariAger
Pro MemberPro Class
Bikes: 2

My 1st was an '86...kind of partial.. wink    Paperboy myself.

But...these 1985 Californians are my favorite...that is why I own dozens.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/584/last-of-the-geese5d1aaea786.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/584/1985-the-best5d1aaeada6.jpg

Last edited by AtariAger (2019-07-01 6:11pm)

'I've forgotten more than most ever knew'

#85 2019-07-02 9:34am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 1

Blue_Max wrote:

justlive wrote:

I agree with you there, the expert pros still had the 80s styling but with 90s tech and rode great even the lower end Expert Comp and Menace were pretty good bikes. I feel once they got rid of the classic looptail frame design around 97 that it was kinda the end and the bikes from Mongoose started to go downhill after that in both looks and function.

Completely agree. I'd say the only true looptail since would be the SE retro stuff. A shame really because it's such a unique design. Id love to see Mongoose do a retro Californian or Expert.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#86 2019-07-02 11:42am

ryan71
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

The 1996 Expert Pro is a great Bike. Quality built bike as you said full cro-mo all Tange made 20 and 24. Really nice looptails and great riding bikes.

Last edited by ryan71 (2019-07-02 11:42am)

Looking a set of Tioga Monoblock pedals. Also looking for a UFO Pro 24.

#87 2019-07-02 3:02pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

DMC was a decent bike. I liked the SGX also.

Turned into a Walmart brand after though.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#88 2019-07-02 3:56pm

Blue_Max
Museum Addict
Bikes: 19

AlurencatBMX wrote:

I dig the original style DMC's up until 97 before the redesign, really hard to find bikes though. I don't remember ever seeing one in person back then in any shops but I remember the bike in magazines.

#89 2019-07-02 5:02pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

Blue_Max wrote:

AlurencatBMX wrote:

I dig the original style DMC's up until 97 before the redesign, really hard to find bikes though. I don't remember ever seeing one in person back then in any shops but I remember the bike in magazines.

There's one (95) on the bay UK for something daft like £1500. They're nice, but you can build any mid school dream bike for half of that. My T1 will have cost me around 700 and it'll slaughter it, plus it's proper made in USA.

Maybe the mid school will explode, and maybe it'll fetch £1500 but that time ain't now imo.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

Board footer

View Cart →