You are not logged in.

My struggle with being faithful to what is most important....  RSS Feed

#26 2018-07-09 9:38am

cbrstar
Pro Member

Re: My struggle with being faithful to what is most important....

I'm a Christian as well and It's important not to keep your eyes on the world but on God. But I'm not sure though if BMX was a crisis of faith for you OP, but more so having a kid and realizing it's not about you anymore as becoming a parent fundamentally changes you.

Stuff will always be stuff and things will always be things and there's always new stuff and new things. Sometimes it feels good just to let go some of those things and reduce and simplify your life, and really if you are not riding the bike why keep it?

Last edited by cbrstar (2018-07-09 9:40am)

#27 2018-07-09 11:27am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Some of us may not have "more important things" like family or friends and so we use inanimate objects to fill voids.
Some of us aren't blessed enough to have normal lives.
and the only thing that keeps us goin, is searching, collecting..storing away for a better time.
Something to think about

Very true. Or, some of us may actually have those things but there's still something missing and we look to bmx to fill the void. Something that was always true to us.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#28 2018-07-09 11:45am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10

Great topic/read.Here's my current situation...

I got married last June 2017 and moved to Virginia Beach with my son. It didn't take long before I realized how much more expensive the cost of living is here compared to Ohio. Not to mention going from supporting only myself and my son to now supporting a family of 5 total. It's been a struggle to say the least. Financially as well as on my marriage. Many of u saw my Trick Star build last fall that took me several months to finish. This was why. And once I finished it I had to sell it to pay bills. Then once I sold it I got caught up so I bought a 2017 Master because I thought I was in the clear with bills. Wrong. I ended up selling that. Then I bought an Eastern frame thinking ok I'm finally caught up so I can slowly build this and have it ready for summer. Well, I still have it but it's still not finished. Bills are caught up but it'll only take one hickup to knock me backwards again. I love my wife and I work extra hours to to do my part but I also love BMX. That's my outlet. My escape from reality and the everyday stresses in life. If I don't have that then what kind of life is that? Is it selfish to believe there's more to life than just living to pay bills? Maybe I shouldn't be in a marriage if I'm unable or unwilling to decide between supporting a family and my hobby? These are the issues I struggle with daily as of late. I want to take care of my wife but I don't want to give up BMX. Ridiculous huh?

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#29 2018-07-09 12:24pm

BRIAN HAYS
Pro MemberNOT Bubba Hayes
Bikes: 26

Great read and great points of view from everyone.

I live for SE, Race Inc, Nomura, and Navajo!!

Hey guys, go ahead and keep selling everything SE, GJS, and Nomura to Thailand. Once it's gone it's NEVER coming back to the US. There really IS more to BMX collecting than money!!

If I hear the words "RARE", "GRAIL", or "SCORE" one more time, I'm gonna f'n puke. ALSO, NOS is NOT a condition description. Being NOS has NOTHING to do with the actual condition of the part.

BMX Museum, where every single "score" thread is followed by a FOR SALE thread 15 minutes later.

#30 2018-07-09 1:30pm

Forhisglory_1
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 1
Website

I dont in any way have an issue with folks having BMX bikes, riding them, collecting them, or anything else. We are all different, in different life circumstances, and bmx/hobbies have their place in all of our lives that is why we come to this amazing site. I still kept 2 bikes that I ride a few times a week when there is time. I still play softball 1 night a week. They have their place, in this season of life for me.

While I love building bikes and also feel like I need some quiet time alone in the garage, I choose to not do it as often as I would like. I understand how important that is for many, myself included. But I find a deeper joy and satisfaction in serving my wife and son by sacrificing everything in my life for their well being and putting their small needs above my own large needs. Not because I have to, but because I get to. For me there is no greater blessing than to serve them at all cost. I take time for myself as I need it but am mindful about when I do it and what I do with that time. I often get up at 4am and hit the skatepark before work because that is how I get what I need and it doesn't effect my family. When I need to get away for longer periods of time to be with the Lord, for prayer and did into my bible, I usually get up very early to do it or late after they have gone to bed. While it causes me to be tired at times, the sacrifice is worth it, in this season of life.

My post was more of me sharing my struggle and my life, knowing that many others may be in the same place or have been in the past, hoping that in my weakness others may be encouraged. It was in no way meant to cast a shadow or frown on a life that is different from mine or a lack of empathy or understanding. I sincerely mean that.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this post. Thank you for the encouraging messages. Thank you for sharing your lives.

Last edited by Forhisglory_1 (2018-07-09 1:33pm)

I love Jesus and BMX.
Check out my blog at awakenosleeper

My struggle with being faithful
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=769417

#31 2018-07-09 2:12pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 77
For Sale: 5
Website

I thought about a long in depth response. I even typed one then deleted it. I don't want to be too wordy so I will leave it as stress and worry are toxic. These are things that cause mental and physical sickness and they need to be kept out of our lives. If the things that we are doing in life cause them or create anxiety then re-evaluation of priorities needs to occur. Balance is essential. Balance of family, self, spirit, work and play. When balance is lost those toxins set in. I am constantly reevaluating in order to keep the equilibrium as best I can. Sometimes I need to step away from certain things. Sometimes I need to do more of them. It's constant adjustment. It's acceptance that the decisions I make with regards to what I am doing are ok and living with those decisions.

#32 2018-07-09 2:26pm

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Kurt_Rad wrote:

I thought about a long in depth response. I even typed one then deleted it. I don't want to be too wordy so I will leave it as stress and worry are toxic. These are things that cause mental and physical sickness and they need to be kept out of our lives. If the things that we are doing in life cause them or create anxiety then re-evaluation of priorities needs to occur. Balance is essential. Balance of family, self, spirit, work and play. When balance is lost those toxins set in. I am constantly reevaluating in order to keep the equilibrium as best I can. Sometimes I need to step away from certain things. Sometimes I need to do more of them. It's constant adjustment. It's acceptance that the decisions I make with regards to what I am doing are ok and living with those decisions.

Bullseye !

Increase the Peace

#33 2018-07-09 3:26pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 5

Married with children....it ain't no joke.

#34 2018-07-15 4:23pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

I'm going to go the opposite way of the OP. I got married in 2001 at the age of 26. A month later I turned 27. Riding didn't really suffer since my wife had a job where she didn't get home until 7 or 8 each night. I got off at 4 so I could still ride and be home before she got there, so it was the best of both worlds. We had our first son in June 2002. After that things went downhill for me riding-wise. I had to pick him up from daycare when I got off at 4 and go home where it was just him and me until my wife got home. It was the same routine every day, and I looked forward to the time where I didn't have to watch him every second. By the time he was to that point my wife wanted to have a second child. My 5 year old could sit in his room and watch cartoons or play a video game without me having to hover over him, but in 2007 I had to start all over again with our second child. Then it was the same routine with him every afternoon after work until he was to the point I could trust him around the house. That took 10 years of my riding away, and I had given it up. Then I realized I should be a mountain biker since I was "old". I did that for a little while until that, and this site, brought me back around to BMX. Now I check this site every few minutes for new posts or to post something myself. I'm building a brand new new school bike that has taken me 4 years to this point, that I probably shouldn't bother doing. I took a 19 year old that I work with to a skatepark last week. I'm so rusty it really hurts my ego when I can't do something I used to or chicken out on something that shouldn't even be a big deal. I wish I had found a way to ride a little bit through the years. I feel ridiculous at times now when I go out to ride because of my age. I don't regret my children or having to take care of them. But I won't feel bad for myself for wanting to ride when I go riding now. I do regret that I didn't push them to ride more when they were younger. Maybe they would have more of a love for it now.

I have a friend that I will ask to do something if something pops up that you can't do any ol' time. I asked him to go ride ATVs with me a few weeks ago at a cookout with some nice trails. He doesn't have anywhere to ride his at home. But one of his kids had a ball game so he couldn't go. I asked him to go to the bike show that they had in Rock Hill, SC but he couldn't go because of a ball game. I got into playing church league softball a few years ago and wanted to try some tournament ball too. Once in a while I had to let my wife or my dad take my son to his game. I learned that he survived without me there every single game, and I learned I was able to enjoy myself doing something for me every once in a while. I still made it to 99% of his other games. I think that when you have the opportunity to do something that won't come along next week or next month and it might not be until next year, that you better do them now.

#35 2019-05-17 8:51pm

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 51
For Sale: 6
Website

cool

Last edited by G. (2019-05-17 9:07pm)

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#36 2019-05-17 10:37pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 23
For Sale: 19

Fark lotta walls of txt up in here... Cliff notes?

#37 2019-05-18 7:15am

oldschoolpete
Intermediate

I think a lot us will find ourselves in similar situations, if not now, eventually. When you have your first child, for a lot of us, it's an eye opener, because you may not understand why, but for the first time in your life, you love someone more than you do yourself. It's not about you anymore, it's about them. My bikes have all been sitting, I don't have time to go out and ride all day anymore. I was thinking about selling it all until my oldest asked me to buy her a new bike because she outgrew the 16" disney frozen bike she had, I asked her if she wanted to build her own bike instead. To say she was exited would be an understatement! she built a mongoose decade out of spare parts I had lying around and now she always wants to go ride her bike. At the end of the day, what we do, bmx bikes, cars, music.. etc. unless it's our profession, it's a hobby and as such, not a priority over family. We do what we can to teach our kids everything we know, but their world shapes them, as ours did us. We do the best we can.

"this cant be my cheese steak, it has ketchup on it."

#38 2019-05-18 7:19am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Bikes: 5
Website

BRICKOS2 wrote:

Jesus

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#39 2019-05-18 8:27am

Woodmaster
Pro MemberCat got my tongue
Bikes: 12

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

If all of mankind, minus one, were of an opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                                                                                               Thomas Middleton

#40 2019-05-18 8:30am

Woodmaster

made2drag wrote:

I will say though, spending time with non believers is important too.  They might not remember your words but they will remember your actions and how you treated them whether it's are the skatepark or trails or desert.

How to you identify one of these "non-believers"?????

If all of mankind, minus one, were of an opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                                                                                               Thomas Middleton

#41 2019-05-18 10:40am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 4

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/21996/20190518_1337235ce04378c2.png
By their masks ...duhhhh roll

Hey, $20 IS $20..

#42 2019-05-18 11:02am

Woodmaster

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 4378c2.png
By their masks ...duhhhh roll

Was a serious question. :fukoffeyes:

Thomas Middleton

#43 2019-05-18 11:09am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Website

Kind of got me wondering what it is that I'm supposed to believe in.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#44 2019-05-18 11:14am

nycet3
Pro Member

my wife and son are the greatest part of my life. I'd take a bike over religion every time.

"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

#45 2019-05-18 11:15am

Woodmaster

itsdug wrote:

Thats the problem, everyone is supposed to believe in something. Take the blinders off, be you, believe what you know in your heart is right. Spirituality is in you, not in a book.

Thomas Middleton

#46 2019-05-18 11:18am

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Website

Woodmaster wrote:

itsdug wrote:

Thats the problem, everyone is supposed to believe in something. Take the blinders off, be you, believe what you know in your heart is right. Spirituality is in you, not in a book.

This

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#47 2019-05-18 11:21am

RAYSIN
Pro MemberI SAW ELVIS AT 1000 FEET!
Bikes: 26
Website

Amen!

Schwinning!!!

#48 2019-05-18 11:25am

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 23
For Sale: 19

itsdug wrote:

BRICKOS2 wrote:

Jesus

Thought as much lol

#49 2019-05-18 11:32am

Woodmaster

nycet3 wrote:

my wife and son are the greatest part of my life. I'd take a bike over religion every time.

That's the spirit, family(kin) is the biggest of my life as well.

Thomas Middleton

#50 2019-05-18 11:38am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 4

Im a Christian, dont have to got to Church to believe in God or pray.  Heres your serious answer then:

They reveal themselves by saying things such as you did.  Ignorant things, God is first before all. Its my Faith and I dont preach or judge, not my job.

Just thought you were having fun is all.  :eatabagofdickseyes:

Last edited by JUGGARNAUT (2019-05-18 11:41am)

Hey, $20 IS $20..

Board footer

View Cart →