You are not logged in.

- OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -  RSS Feed

#701 2018-11-08 8:05am

lowrider
Pro MemberRiding On My 20
From: NorCal to North Texas
Registered: 2010-04-06
Posts: 3819
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 8

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Heathkirkman wrote:

What about this one guys? 3 hole dropouts serial num GA85356 any help would greatly appreciated...http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b1916.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b1c91.jpeg

This one throws me a bit as it is Japan made (serial on BB beginning in G) but I haven't seen two letters in a row like that before? maybe someone miss stamped that day? Decals are 86 but I think it is a January 85 frame (usually stamped as G5Axxxx) cool

Offline

 

#702 2019-03-06 6:53am

Quattrotakis
Pro Member
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: 2016-04-20
Posts: 669
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 6

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Reviving this topic because some interesting information has come to me lately that wasn't previously mentioned here regarding the F6 Frames.   It's been "established" that F6 frames were Japanese, although every F6 frameset here completely differs from the G5/G6 frames.  Differences:

F6:  4 hole dropouts
G5/G6: 3 hole dropouts

F6: Steeper Headtube Angle
G5: we all know the crazy rake, but was later corrected on G6 frames

F6: Different standing platform, similar to USA frames
G5/G6: "narrower" standing platform

F6: All OG forks have 2 Cable Guides
G5/G6: All OG forks have single cable guide

So a couple questions...

Does anyone have an F6 frame with an OG "Made in Japan" Sticker on the BB ?
Does anyone have an F6 frame that was an OG World Tour ?
Is it possible that F6 frames were early Taiwan frames before the DS SN# pattern came out later in 86 ?

Thoughts?


If you dare me, I'll jump pretty much anything

Offline

 

#703 2019-04-15 7:43pm

NJGTPerformer
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-04-15
Posts: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

I have a White (original paint & stickers) Performer with "made in Taiwan" on the BB

Serial F6028751

Is this a 1986 bike made in February or am I decoding this incorrectly?

Offline

 

#704 2019-04-15 7:58pm

vintagebmx1977
Pro Member
From: Pittsburgh Pa
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 1434
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Quattrotakis wrote:

Reviving this topic because some interesting information has come to me lately that wasn't previously mentioned here regarding the F6 Frames.   It's been "established" that F6 frames were Japanese, although every F6 frameset here completely differs from the G5/G6 frames.  Differences:

F6:  4 hole dropouts
G5/G6: 3 hole dropouts

F6: Steeper Headtube Angle
G5: we all know the crazy rake, but was later corrected on G6 frames

F6: Different standing platform, similar to USA frames
G5/G6: "narrower" standing platform

F6: All OG forks have 2 Cable Guides
G5/G6: All OG forks have single cable guide

So a couple questions...

Does anyone have an F6 frame with an OG "Made in Japan" Sticker on the BB ?
Does anyone have an F6 frame that was an OG World Tour ?
Is it possible that F6 frames were early Taiwan frames before the DS SN# pattern came out later in 86 ?

Thoughts?

My 86 f6 is a original world tour.


The World Is Yours

Offline

 

#705 2019-04-16 5:45am

Quattrotakis
Pro Member
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: 2016-04-20
Posts: 669
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 6

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

NJGTPerformer wrote:

I have a White (original paint & stickers) Performer with "made in Taiwan" on the BB

Serial F6028751

Is this a 1986 bike made in February or am I decoding this incorrectly?

Sounds like you decoded it correctly.  Great info btw. Does it have 4130 stamped on the bologna cut?

vintagebmx1977 wrote:

My 86 f6 is a original world tour.

Awesome.  I was told there were NO F6 World Tours... only Pro Performers/Performers.


If you dare me, I'll jump pretty much anything

Offline

 

#706 2019-04-16 6:13am

NJGTPerformer
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-04-15
Posts: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Here are a few pics.. Yes, 4130 stamped on the back, also has TM after the GT logo..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RVX6yS9FBiGzTVEv5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aUKnJw8A8xbfTZdv7

Offline

 

#707 2019-04-16 6:13am

vintagebmx1977
Pro Member
From: Pittsburgh Pa
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 1434
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Quattrotakis wrote:

NJGTPerformer wrote:

I have a White (original paint & stickers) Performer with "made in Taiwan" on the BB

Serial F6028751

Is this a 1986 bike made in February or am I decoding this incorrectly?

Sounds like you decoded it correctly.  Great info btw. Does it have 4130 stamped on the bologna cut?

vintagebmx1977 wrote:

My 86 f6 is a original world tour.

Awesome.  I was told there were NO F6 World Tours... only Pro Performers/Performers.

It was purchased new in 86, It's may of 86.


The World Is Yours

Offline

 

#708 2019-04-16 6:13am

NJGTPerformer
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-04-15
Posts: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Offline

 

#709 2019-09-20 5:05pm

Cirrusaero
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-09-20
Posts: 4

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

I'm new to the forum.  Just found it by trying to find some information on Performer I picked up today.  This was still owned by the original owner, he thought it was a 87 but not sure.  Not sure if I want to do a full OEM restoration or just clean it up, get it rolling and let my kids enjoy it.

Offline

 

#710 2019-09-20 5:09pm

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Cirrusaero wrote:

I'm new to the forum.  Just found it by trying to find some information on Performer I picked up today.  This was still owned by the original owner, he thought it was a 87 but not sure.  Not sure if I want to do a full OEM restoration or just clean it up, get it rolling and let my kids enjoy it.

Welcome to the museum, your new internet home.

Upload some pics and all your questions will be answered.


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#711 2019-09-20 5:42pm

Cirrusaero
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-09-20
Posts: 4

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

WOW I feel stupid but how do I insert an image on this forum off my phone?

Offline

 

#712 2019-09-20 6:04pm

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Cirrusaero wrote:

WOW I feel stupid but how do I insert an image on this forum off my phone?

May have to be a pro member to upload. Can't remember. For me there is a button at the bottom that says upload new image.


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#713 2019-09-21 10:03am

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Here you go...
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243997/20190920_1256405d8657ce53.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243997/20190920_1256515d8657ce8c.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243997/20190920_1256085d8657cdb3.jpg


87 performer


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#714 2019-09-21 12:15pm

Quattrotakis
Pro Member
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: 2016-04-20
Posts: 669
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 6

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

1987 and Holy Tire Rot Batman!!yikesyikes


If you dare me, I'll jump pretty much anything

Offline

 

#715 2019-09-21 6:07pm

followyoursole
Pro Member
From: Lost Angeles, CA
Registered: 2008-08-13
Posts: 104
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 16

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Picked up a spray bombed frame, need help.

I have a FS stamp on drop out, gt and 4130 stamp on rear coin.

But can’t find another serial anywhere. Used a razor and found the FS, but no serial on the rear drop out or on bottom bracket.

Any insight? Forks do have the 2 slight indentations on each side and no holes on bottom. Meaning it’s early American made forks right?

So the frame is American made? Did any ever some without serial? Hahah

Offline

 

#716 2019-09-21 6:18pm

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

followyoursole wrote:

Picked up a spray bombed frame, need help.

I have a FS stamp on drop out, gt and 4130 stamp on rear coin.

But can’t find another serial anywhere. Used a razor and found the FS, but no serial on the rear drop out or on bottom bracket.

Any insight? Forks do have the 2 slight indentations on each side and no holes on bottom. Meaning it’s early American made forks right?

So the frame is American made? Did any ever some without serial? Hahah

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243997/d4b5d86cbfc20.jpg


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#717 2019-09-21 6:24pm

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Sometimes the serials are there just buried in paint or faintly stamped.


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#718 2019-09-28 8:08pm

Cirrusaero
Museum Newbie
Registered: 2019-09-20
Posts: 4

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Thanks for uploading the pictures for me.  I took a ton of pictures and dismantled the bike down to the frame.  Polished up all paint, Dropped a bunch of parts into rust remover, de greased and regreased all bearings and started to reassemble.  Ordered a bunch of new parts.  Two of my sons have been helping  out.

Offline

 

#719 2019-11-08 7:30am

Quattrotakis
Pro Member
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: 2016-04-20
Posts: 669
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 6

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

I've always loved solving a good mystery, so I set out on a mission yesterday to shed some light on my 86 Dayglo Pink Pro Freestyle Tour.  The mystery surrounding thing this particular frame goes something like this: 1185 SN, has OG daylgo paint, has what seems to be OG PFT decals, and it still has the dealer sticker.  We all know PFTs weren't a thing until later in 86.. and with it the dayglo colors which are mostly ALL stamped early 86 frames.   This frame has been passed through the BMXMuseum community through the years and has been owned by members TimCirello, Calismoooth, and skbmx22 until finally coming to me a few years back.

So yesterday, I decided to give J&M Bike Shop in Bell Gardens CA a call.   Turns out I was in luck as the original owners and mechanic still work at the shop that worked there in 86 and prior.  I asked specific questions such as if they ever sent a frame back to GT to be repainted or restickered.. they answered with a hard NO.. the main question I needed answered.  Seems like my frame came from the factory this way.  I may never know who sticker bombed it and left it out in the sun, but i know I truly have a 1 of a kind.

https://bmxmuseum.com/image/20180923_1941435ba8250c85_blowup.jpg

Last edited by Quattrotakis (2019-11-08 9:38am)


If you dare me, I'll jump pretty much anything

Offline

 

#720 2019-11-08 7:35am

lucky523
Pro Member
From: Winston-Salem, NC
Registered: 2015-04-11
Posts: 696

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

That is a cool story...amazing that they were still there!
It's still perfect in my eyes

Offline

 

#721 2019-11-08 7:48am

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Very cool. I'm still thinking it was a frame they had around that finally found it's way into circulation in mid to late 86 as a PFT. Cool bike no matter the story. Don't see a lot of the 86 dayglos with PFT decals. I recall recenlry seeing a survivor dayglo orange 86 pft on the museum but otherwise almost all of them seem to be pro performers.


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#722 2019-11-08 7:51pm

LMW3
Pro Member
From: NC
Registered: 2017-06-15
Posts: 991
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243997/20191103_1154145dbf0d3c8e.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243997/20191103_1158265dbf0d625a.jpg


May have found a survivor pink 85-86 Dyno?

Offline

 

#723 2019-11-08 8:07pm

badassomar
Pro MemberCHINGON
From: So-Cal
Registered: 2009-05-14
Posts: 2225
Bikes: 22
For Sale: 1

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Quattrotakis wrote:

I've always loved solving a good mystery, so I set out on a mission yesterday to shed some light on my 86 Dayglo Pink Pro Freestyle Tour.  The mystery surrounding thing this particular frame goes something like this: 1185 SN, has OG daylgo paint, has what seems to be OG PFT decals, and it still has the dealer sticker.  We all know PFTs weren't a thing until later in 86.. and with it the dayglo colors which are mostly ALL stamped early 86 frames.   This frame has been passed through the BMXMuseum community through the years and has been owned by members TimCirello, Calismoooth, and skbmx22 until finally coming to me a few years back.

So yesterday, I decided to give J&M Bike Shop in Bell Gardens CA a call.   Turns out I was in luck as the original owners and mechanic still work at the shop that worked there in 86 and prior.  I asked specific questions such as if they ever sent a frame back to GT to be repainted or restickered.. they answered with a hard NO.. the main question I needed answered.  Seems like my frame came from the factory this way.  I may never know who sticker bombed it and left it out in the sun, but i know I truly have a 1 of a kind.

https://bmxmuseum.com/image/20180923_19 … blowup.jpg

cool  they are cool peoples at J&M. I like going there, they carry cool stuff.

Last edited by badassomar (2019-11-08 8:08pm)

Offline

 

#724 2019-11-09 8:04am

Quattrotakis
Pro Member
From: Detroit, MI
Registered: 2016-04-20
Posts: 669
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 6

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

badassomar wrote:

Quattrotakis wrote:

I've always loved solving a good mystery, so I set out on a mission yesterday to shed some light on my 86 Dayglo Pink Pro Freestyle Tour.  The mystery surrounding thing this particular frame goes something like this: 1185 SN, has OG daylgo paint, has what seems to be OG PFT decals, and it still has the dealer sticker.  We all know PFTs weren't a thing until later in 86.. and with it the dayglo colors which are mostly ALL stamped early 86 frames.   This frame has been passed through the BMXMuseum community through the years and has been owned by members TimCirello, Calismoooth, and skbmx22 until finally coming to me a few years back.

So yesterday, I decided to give J&M Bike Shop in Bell Gardens CA a call.   Turns out I was in luck as the original owners and mechanic still work at the shop that worked there in 86 and prior.  I asked specific questions such as if they ever sent a frame back to GT to be repainted or restickered.. they answered with a hard NO.. the main question I needed answered.  Seems like my frame came from the factory this way.  I may never know who sticker bombed it and left it out in the sun, but i know I truly have a 1 of a kind.

https://bmxmuseum.com/image/20180923_19 … blowup.jpg

cool  they are cool peoples at J&M. I like going there, they carry cool stuff.

That's awesome.  They seemed really nice on the phone. The mechanic wanted to talk about color combos the 86s/87s came in etc.


If you dare me, I'll jump pretty much anything

Offline

 

#725 2019-11-09 7:48pm

New Old Schooler
Pro Member
From:
Registered: 2010-10-06
Posts: 4623
Bikes: 31

Re: - OFFICIAL: 1986 GT Performer Thread -

Survivor coming together...
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb475/mbilek24/4A86F4B1-9C5A-460B-9711-59AC29BADAB4_zpsrwwb6yhq.jpg


Blue, you’re my boy!!!

YOU’RE MY BOY BLUE!!!
Thanks Capitán wink

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →