You are not logged in.

Go Fast, Pull Up- The Jimmy LeVan story

#1 2019-04-11 8:43am

uglykato
Museum Addict
Bikes: 3

Go Fast, Pull Up- The Jimmy LeVan story

So, been tracking this documentary for a few years now and it appears they it is finally out.
Did anyone have a chance to see any of the screenings?  Purchase price is $48.95 through Albe’s, seems like a high price for a DVD.  Looking for feedback before I pull the trigger.  If this has been discussed, my apologies, I did a search and didn’t find anything.

If I owe you any feedback, please, let me know.

#2 2019-04-11 8:48am

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 2

Re: Go Fast, Pull Up- The Jimmy LeVan story

Guess total is $48.95 with shipping?

I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $25 on a DVD, but that's just me.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/28501/20190411_1148355caf61ba91.jpg

#3 2019-04-11 8:49am

larsvegas43
Expert

The trailer is awesome.

#4 2019-04-11 8:58am

uglykato
Museum Addict

Minx20 wrote:

Guess total is $48.95 with shipping?

I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $25 on a DVD, but that's just me.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 61ba91.jpg

Hard pressed is correct.  I can’t remember how much BF-IT was, but I don’t remember having to think about the purchase.

#5 2019-04-11 8:59am

S&M BEN
Pro Member
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 15

I had been following it but not spending that for 1 dvd! Too much

WTB: S&M Redneck xlt stem charcoal and blue
WTB: xlt seatclamp nickel! Bar tabs"ends" in nickel.
WTB: PL-20 Carrera vinyl toptube pad.

#6 2019-04-11 9:02am

larsvegas43
Expert

I think it's pretty steep as well, but there's a 74-page book and some other goodies as part of the package. Still, anything over $30 for a DVD is too much in my book.

#7 2019-04-11 9:48am

Jared.P
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

I ordered the Bluray since it has some additional content.  The total was around $54 shipped from the Props site.  I think the price is fair when you look at the resources put into production and the size of the potential market.  Joe Doherty did a short interview with Jimmy and Chris Rye which gives some insight on the amount of work a project like this requires. 

https://soundcloud.com/thebmxinourblood … st-pull-up

– Metal “Faded Glory” full video *Bluray only
– Metal “Dead Bang” full video *Bluray only
– Road Fools 1 full video (digitally re-mastered) *Bluray only
– Road Fools 2 full video *Bluray only
– Transit issue 3 Jimmy interview *Bluray only
– Props Issue 42 Metal Bikes road trip section *Bluray only
– Props Issue 70 Metal Bikes road trip section *Bluray only

WTB: FBM Orphan, FBM Night Train (pool table green)

#8 2019-04-14 11:41pm

sycmatt
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
Website

The price is bang on. The quality of this production is the best you will probably ever see for a BMX related video. It is network television quality in terms of production and that's not overstating it. The content is comprehensive. Charting his early years, all the way up to now. There's a lot of insight from industry folks and contemporaries and with a lot of archive footage to back it up. With RF1 & 2, both Metal Bikes videos, 2 Metal Bikes Roadtrip videos and several other extras, there's hours of media on this. As mentioned before, the book is fantastic quality. For me though, it's the book that let's the package down but only slightly. It's more of photo album with only photo credits and the occasional caption. It has a Forward and an outro though.

I guess if you're a Jimmy Levan fan, it's a no-brainer. Likewise if you're a Metal Bikes fan. If you're a general mid-school type of dude then I would agree, it's a heavy hit on the wallet.

As a Metal Bikes fan and founder of the Metal Bikes Owners Group page on Facebook, I got both Blu-ray and regular versions, a reissue Kizz decal sheet and one of the 44 frames they're making. The credit card is wounded but for me, there was no hesitation.

WTB King Bikes Liberty frame. WTB Gack Gargoyle frame. WTB Rigid Cycles Street frame.

#9 2019-04-15 10:26am

m3brendan
Expert
Bikes: 7

My copy arrived last night and I can't wait to watch it. 

I helped provide some of the content as Jimmy was a childhood friend of mine and I can tell you that Chris put his heart and soul into it.  There is a pic of one of my Dirtbikes in the S&M section and Chris was insanely specific about how the picture was shot such that I had to get my photographer wife involved to get it right. He also wanted my original 30 year old VHS tapes rather than a digital copy because he didn't want any of the quality to be diminished.  I thought he was crazy (we have never met) but after he showed me a short clip from the documentary I was blown away.  I now am a huge admirer of his work.  Price is high, but as someone mentioned there is a book and some other cool extras that make it worth it in my opinion!

Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

#10 2019-04-15 10:50am

uglykato
Museum Addict

I called one of the local LBS and the guy that answered didn't know anything about the documentary.  I was quite surprised, I've never been to the store because there 20 miles or so away and there are several shops between here and there.  LBS said they'd contact the distributor on Monday and find out more.  Still deciding, more than likely will.  Love hearing from the guys that have seen it or were involved.

#11 2019-04-15 11:25am

oldskoolkel
Pro Member

Not my era, but that trailer is awesome, and I know it is something I would easily watch for as long as it is on - I would bet it is a great watch, seems like a straight up nice fella and cool dude.....cool

1983 Porsche 911 SC, 1978 Ford Capri 3.0 Xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro loop tail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24"

Oh yeah, and I'm a thread killer......

#12 2019-04-15 11:53am

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4
Website

sycmatt wrote:

The price is bang on. The quality of this production is the best you will probably ever see for a BMX related video. It is network television quality in terms of production and that's not overstating it. The content is comprehensive. Charting his early years, all the way up to now. There's a lot of insight from industry folks and contemporaries and with a lot of archive footage to back it up. With RF1 & 2, both Metal Bikes videos, 2 Metal Bikes Roadtrip videos and several other extras, there's hours of media on this. As mentioned before, the book is fantastic quality. For me though, it's the book that let's the package down but only slightly. It's more of photo album with only photo credits and the occasional caption. It has a Forward and an outro though.

I guess if you're a Jimmy Levan fan, it's a no-brainer. Likewise if you're a Metal Bikes fan. If you're a general mid-school type of dude then I would agree, it's a heavy hit on the wallet.

As a Metal Bikes fan and founder of the Metal Bikes Owners Group page on Facebook, I got both Blu-ray and regular versions, a reissue Kizz decal sheet and one of the 44 frames they're making. The credit card is wounded but for me, there was no hesitation.

Sorry, I'm confused. This is a new DVD plus all those old ones too, and a book? Yes that is a lot of content.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#13 2019-04-15 12:20pm

uglykato
Museum Addict

oldmanjoe wrote:

sycmatt wrote:

Sorry, I'm confused. This is a new DVD plus all those old ones too, and a book? Yes that is a lot of content.

Yes, it is a package.  $50 for a package isn't a lot, but it would be nice if you could have the option for the package or just the DVD.

Last edited by uglykato (2019-04-15 12:21pm)

#14 2019-04-15 12:59pm

larsvegas43
Expert

Just pulled the trigger on the Euro version shipped form the UK to Germany for 45€. Can't wait to see it.

#15 2019-04-15 10:28pm

m3brendan
Expert
Bikes: 7

Just got around to watching it tonight. It was fantastic. Super well done and worth every penny.

Nothings says late 80s BMX like a mullet hanging out the back of a Dyno UL helmet

#16 2019-04-15 10:53pm

sycmatt
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
Website

oldmanjoe wrote:

sycmatt wrote:

Yep. That's the Blu-ray version. The standard DVD/book package still comes with a ton of extras though. https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/221283/screenshot_20190416-065137_chrome5cb56dc9d7.jpg

WTB King Bikes Liberty frame. WTB Gack Gargoyle frame. WTB Rigid Cycles Street frame.

Board footer