What is wrong w modern BMX bikes in a single picture  RSS Feed

#326 2019-02-10 3:05pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1

Re: What is wrong w modern BMX bikes in a single picture

Shazambmx wrote:

True that! All you had to see was a flash of the bike back in the day and you knew who it was from far away...lol

not true when the Haro freestyler/ master got made by Anlun they farmed that divine frame style out to many other bike company's.
don't get me started on how many 70's early 80's gusset bikes looked very close. till you got a better look at it.wink wasn't till around late 80's. they all started trying new diff looks.

Last edited by FRESSTYLE FREEK (2019-02-10 3:15pm)

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#327 2019-02-10 3:25pm

meangreen92lx
Pro Member
For Sale: 8

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

True that! All you had to see was a flash of the bike back in the day and you knew who it was from far away...lol

not true when the Haro freestyler/ master got made by Anlun they farmed that divine frame style out to many other bike company's.
don't get me started on how many 70's early 80's gusset bikes looked very close. till you got a better look at it.wink wasn't till around late 80's. they all started trying new diff looks.

I could tell by the colors and frame design for the most part. I'm talking mid 80s to late 80s bikes here.  Could spot a Haro master, GT Performer, Pro Performer, Redline Rl20 II, Dyno Compe, Skyway Streetbeat, TA,  all SE racing bikes. All were easily identifiable. Now days the frames look the same for the most part and with black or clear over raw being the majority of colors it's hard to tell what they are.

#328 2019-02-10 3:29pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

meangreen92lx wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

I could tell by the colors and frame design for the most part. I'm talking mid 80s to late 80s bikes here.  Could spot a Haro master, GT Performer, Pro Performer, Redline Rl20 II, Dyno Compe, Skyway Streetbeat, TA,  all SE racing bikes. All were easily identifiable. Now days the frames look the same for the most part and with black or clear over raw being the majority of colors it's hard to tell what they are.

Same thing can be said with kids who ride NS bikes.Many can tell you what brand and model just by looking at it or the colorway,yet they cannot make out what the difference between a Haro master and a GT performer is from the 80s.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 is $20!

#329 2019-02-10 4:27pm

meangreen92lx
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

meangreen92lx wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Same thing can be said with kids who ride NS bikes.Many can tell you what brand and model just by looking at it or the colorway,yet they cannot make out what the difference between a Haro master and a GT performer is from the 80s.

Possible I guess. I'm into NS bikes too and I can't tell unless I'm a foot away.

#330 2019-02-10 7:34pm

ricar
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Frames used to have (predominantly) big frame stiskers. There was no question who made that frame. Most notably GT in my recollection but who can forget HOLMES all the way down the downtube. Now there are wee tiny die cut stickers down by the BB shell. Frames have mostly been monochromatic, with some exceptions, like ALL of Brian Fosters paint jobs. big_smile . But you also had GT's rear triangle, no one did it like that, and Robinson's partial loop tail, real frame differences. Now maybe its a gusset, but they seem to be going all internal. No one wants the extra weight of GT's seat stays and then there is added cost of being different in a market where pennies count. I think there is more diversity in what is available, colours in tires, colourfull parts, but the frames themselves are all pretty much the same. Some have tried to stand apart with DDTs ect, and lots of people love that because it is so different. I still don't see any pro's riding DTT frames but maybe they are out there. 

I know it's all been said, and yeah, the few frames that I have built look like all the other frames out there. That's because it's the easiest way to make a frame.

To say that modern hiten steel is as good as 80s 4130 is pretty silly IMO. Now, that 30 year old bike is going to flex like a wet dish cloth because it has been flexed out for 25 years, but you take that NOS 88 Robinson off the shelf and put it up against any NEXT offering and really, which would you rather hit the track with?

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

#331 2019-02-11 4:53am

meangreen92lx
Pro Member

I think modern DTT frames are just a nod to us older guys from the 80s. Kids today don't ride flatland like was popular in the 80s so the DTT frame really doesnt have much benefit to them.

#332 2019-02-11 5:24am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

meangreen92lx wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

Shazambmx wrote:

just like back in the early days of BMX. when 1 company comes out with a frame   style. that sells realy well. other companys copy it and change it just a little. so they can clam theirs was better. smile
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/f9f578c5-a494-410c-8fc6-5d971cf8dfdc5c4e48924e_blowup.jpg
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/fd880105-bc4a-4ffd-a254-2affad6104c15c5e886d42_blowup.jpg
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/1005bf5d656ea_blowup.jpg
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/15649ef8281_blowup.jpg
https://bmxmuseum.com/image/dscn13565686cdd0c3_blowup.jpg

new schools the same way every thing kinda looks the same. till you get closer. then you see S&M use a little diff front brace/ gusset and wish bone. then say  FIT , Cult or Bone Death.

#333 2019-02-11 5:31am

FRESSTYLE FREEK

meangreen92lx wrote:

I think modern DTT frames are just a nod to us older guys from the 80s. Kids today don't ride flatland like was popular in the 80s so the DTT frame really doesnt have much benefit to them.

ya kids don't rid flat in your area . but they do ride.

Last edited by FRESSTYLE FREEK (2019-02-11 5:31am)

Board footer

View Cart →