You are not logged in.

the old guys who still want to ride thread!  RSS Feed

#2451 2019-01-05 5:38pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

Re: the old guys who still want to ride thread!

spyker wrote:

blammo585 wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

I still ride when I feel good enough..but what I get down on is my proression stopped many years ago, partially due to not having anyone to ride with..

Am I looked down apon because my trick repetwar is limited??
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … a44bee.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … a479b7.jpg

I know what you mean. I don't have anyone to ride with either, and it kills your motivation. Not even my kids want to get out and just pedal around.

Are there no local members new you?

No. There's not much of anything around here either.

I live in southern Virginia. I've seen some guys in the Events & Group Rides thread from North Carolina talking about riding but I believe they are more toward Charlotte, NC which is 3 hours away from me.

#2452 2019-01-05 6:01pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

If anyone is near by me and wants to ride..

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#2453 2019-01-05 8:11pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Bikes: 5

pwh4130 wrote:

Nice riding, Matt. Smooth.

Thanks Brett!

Last edited by matt thomas (2019-01-05 8:57pm)

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2019!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#2454 2019-01-05 8:57pm

matt thomas

wadeaminute wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

didnt get to ride as much as i wanted in 2018, but i did have some fun! looking forward to 2019!

Looks like you have fun riding your bike, and you have your own thing going on. I can dig that. Sliders are fun.

Thank you Wade! Fun, its the main reason!

Now, i see a lot of discussion about riding alone. I ride alone 99% of the time. I think i actually prefer it. It allows me to focus on the tricks im working on. There are a few guys  in the St. Louis area i love to ride with, but dont seem to ride with very often due to our schedules and locations around the area. The bottom line, if i didn't ride alone, i wouldn't ride much at all.

#2455 2019-01-06 2:54pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 7
Website

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/22582/img_28215c328705ea.jpg

Picked my nose at a new park today.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#2456 2019-01-06 3:06pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

pwh4130 wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 8705ea.jpg

Brett, it seems so weird to see someone riding with 2 brake levers. lol

I wouldn't mind riding alone so much if I had a decent place to ride. Just going to the parking lot at the elementary school doesn't cut it for me though.

#2457 2019-01-06 6:06pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

blammo585 wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Brett, it seems so weird to see someone riding with 2 brake levers. lol

I wouldn't mind riding alone so much if I had a decent place to ride. Just going to the parking lot at the elementary school doesn't cut it for me though.

I've been riding mostly alone for a long time. Good music is key. It is very taxing mentally at first but it become very concentrated riding when you really focus. Do what feels fun.

#2458 2019-01-06 6:41pm

matt thomas

pwh4130 wrote:

Nice!

#2459 2019-01-06 6:45pm

matt thomas

Test post. I have never linked an Instagram video to here before.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsT_kFiHxd9 … c2qm5wuq21
[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BsT_kFiHxd9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=2dc2qm5wuq21[/video]

Linking it works. Tried to embed it like a YouTube video, that doesn't work.
I recently started an Instagram account and have been posting some riding clips.

Last edited by matt thomas (2019-01-06 6:58pm)

#2460 2019-01-07 4:06am

quick2
Pro MemberPaul thinks he's Schwinning but I already Schwonn
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 2

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think it would be great to get some bike check's on here!! 
Brett, Wade, Moncho, Matt and anyone else who rides a lot.  I think it would be a cool new perspective and topic of discussion to see what everyone uses and why and how it pertains to their riding style.  Not just a list of bike parts necessarily
Brett, I know you have at least 2 different setups, one for park/street, one for flat.  Wade, I know you are very in tune with your bike, you are an all around rider and I think you only have one setup? I would also love to see close up pics of the details of the setups. 
No pressure, and if noone wants to do it, I understand it may be a hassle. But a lot of you guys have a lot more knowledge of why certain things work better than others, why certain angles and geometry works for you and why. 
To be honest, I assume that most of us on the museum and even on this thread just hop on and ride, but maybe depending on what our goals are we would be better off with a longer rear end, or a shorter stem, etc.

I'm not just asking the guys mentioned above either.  If anyone has info that they've learned, or fine tuned thru years of riding, or perhaps just a setup tip or hack that works for them that may help someone else, can we share it in this thread? 

Brett I saw a video a while back that you made about brake setup.  I'll try to go back and find it, but even something as simple as that can be very helpful.

Remember....if everyone came to a bike show without a bike, it would just be a bunch of dudes standing around in a park...and that's just creepy!  If you've got one, bring one.  -Me
If you only do what you can do, you will never be more than you are now..  -Master Shifu
*LOOKING FOR GREEN SKYWAY MAGS* A NOS REAR, OR A  NEAR MINT CONDITION PAIR [img]http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/39961/greenskywaysmall5d0d542f49.jpg[/img]

#2461 2019-01-07 8:50am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

Quick2-  I put some videos up here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwy6fQ … cIzp_JkXGg

These are more tech minded.  I'd love to do a series of tech articles/videos about bike set up for different types of riding.  It's all about the fine tuning for the way you ride.  I have flatland, over all, trail and big stuff bikes all set up.  Always choose the right tool for the job. 

I'd love to see the industry step up and do some educational marketing to the consumers and explain this stuff.  I've pushed for it but it never happens.  Seems to me that selling the latest trend to anyone with a full wallet takes precedence most of the time.  It's a shame because a bike dialed in for your specific riding style makes every session better and will keep it fun and productive, therefor making BMX stronger.

#2462 2019-01-07 9:20am

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

quick2 wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think it would be great to get some bike check's on here!! 
Brett, Wade, Moncho, Matt and anyone else who rides a lot.  I think it would be a cool new perspective and topic of discussion to see what everyone uses and why and how it pertains to their riding style.  Not just a list of bike parts necessarily
Brett, I know you have at least 2 different setups, one for park/street, one for flat.  Wade, I know you are very in tune with your bike, you are an all around rider and I think you only have one setup? I would also love to see close up pics of the details of the setups. 
No pressure, and if noone wants to do it, I understand it may be a hassle. But a lot of you guys have a lot more knowledge of why certain things work better than others, why certain angles and geometry works for you and why. 
To be honest, I assume that most of us on the museum and even on this thread just hop on and ride, but maybe depending on what our goals are we would be better off with a longer rear end, or a shorter stem, etc.

I'm not just asking the guys mentioned above either.  If anyone has info that they've learned, or fine tuned thru years of riding, or perhaps just a setup tip or hack that works for them that may help someone else, can we share it in this thread? 

Brett I saw a video a while back that you made about brake setup.  I'll try to go back and find it, but even something as simple as that can be very helpful.

I have four BMX bikes and two commuter bikes, and ride them all. I don't collect, although six bikes could be termed a collection.
In short:
I have a 2016 Haro Master flat bike (designed by Brett) with an SST coaster brake. This bike can do the flatland tricks that I could do up until about 1991. It particularly enjoys pedal pickers.

I have an orange MacNeil Loden (20" top tube, 13.25" rear) with four pegs, two brakes, a detangler, and a Z-Coaster for ramp riding (mostly JoyRide 150).

I have a black MacNeil Loden (same as the other one) with no pegs, straight-cable rear brake only, and a cassette hub. Stripped down / simplified. Weighs under 20.5 lbs.

I have a 1996 PK Ripper with all modern-functioning parts, including cassette hub graphite tuff wheels. This is my stylish commuter BMX. Closest thing to a pose bike, but I actually can and have ridden it in skateparks, and hard.

All three non-tuff wheel bikes have chrome rims and titanium spokes. And KHE folding tires. I prefer Demolition Vulcan brakes with sealed bearing pivots, and Dia Compe MX88 brake levers (which are spring loaded). I prefer SST y-cables, top and bottom, stuffed with Tr-Flow and white lithium grease. MKS Grafight or KHE Stimulatorz pedals.

It is hard for me to find my preferred parts now - was easier when they were closer to trendy (say, between 2008 - 2011). The new stuff is too big and heavy for me. Part of being able to ride for 39 straight years is riding a super-light bike that requires less to throw it around. I too have some horrible injuries (two herniated discs, separated shoulder, three broken wrists, broken ribs, broken leg, loose knee, etc.), and riding butted and heat-treated parts, and folding tires, and titanium, helps. My current ramp bike, with everything included, is still just over 24 lbs.

Keeping fit is key, too. I was told by a surgeon almost 20 years ago that I could and should skip back surgery and focus on keeping fit and strong. I am about 15 - 20 lbs over my fighting weight at the moment, and I need to get this off to skateboard vert next summer. That is motivation for me - be good, make better choices so that I can play the way I want to.

As for bike maintenance, my brakes work stunningly well. It freaks people out. Bike mechanics, people that have been riding for 30+ years - they are almost always surprised. Especially through detanglers. I would bet that Brett has this on lock, too, although he prefers non-chrome rims for his riding. It takes me about two hours to set up a rear brake with a detangler using all of my tricks - but then I can leave it for five+ years.

As Brett said, the industry moves product. It needs to serve the culture / riders, and not merely the bottom line / business. A big reason why kids don't run brakes, for example, (other than trend-following) is that kids don't know how to get the brakes working and/or keep their wheels true.

As for the users of this website - most are consumption-focused and not participation/riding focused. So their eyes are not on function or usefulness. Which is fine - it is what it is - but it means that it comes up short for folks that actually ride.

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000, for at least a year. Cheers

#2463 2019-01-07 10:54am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

I'm actually kind of wary about sharing my experience/knowledge publicly.  When people ask one on one, I'll share as I'm a talker.  But to put it all out there isn't something I feel comfortable with doing.  This probably comes from working in the industry.  I have knowledge that is unique, as does Wade.  Since it's my profession, I'd like to be compensated for it.  I've done design work for companies and am happy with what I got out there but it never added toward paying my bills. 

In any profession, Consultants make a great hourly rate.  I have spent hundreds of hours giving out info to to people in and out of the industry.  Again, I'm happy to help people and all, but the bike industry barely pays my bills.  If I could find a way to monetize what I know, and found a platform in which it could be appreciated I'd write a book!  For the most part, I feel I'd come across as pompous or annoying so I let that idea go.  I've caught a lot of crap on this site for trying to help or let people know what's up.  It's not worth the hassle. 

The biggest thing to help you set your bike up to be a better rider is try everything, everyone's bike.  You will see what works for you and what doesn't.  Experiment with different parts, set ups and techniques to see what fits your needs.  Lastly, keep your cables short and lubricated, tires pumped up and bars from getting too high.

Last edited by pwh4130 (2019-01-07 11:04am)

#2464 2019-01-07 11:20am

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

pwh4130 wrote:

I'm actually kind of wary about sharing my experience/knowledge publicly.  When people ask one on one, I'll share as I'm a talker.  But to put it all out there isn't something I feel comfortable with doing.  This probably comes from working in the industry.  I have knowledge that is unique, as does Wade.  Since it's my profession, I'd like to be compensated for it.  I've done design work for companies and am happy with what I got out there but it never added toward paying my bills. 

In any profession, Consultants make a great hourly rate.  I have spent hundreds of hours giving out info to to people in and out of the industry.  Again, I'm happy to help people and all, but the bike industry barely pays my bills.  If I could find a way to monetize what I know, and found a platform in which it could be appreciated I'd write a book!  For the most part, I feel I'd come across as pompous or annoying so I let that idea go.  I've caught a lot of crap on this site for trying to help or let people know what's up.  It's not worth the hassle. 

The biggest thing to help you set your bike up to be a better rider is try everything, everyone's bike.  You will see what works for you and what doesn't.  Experiment with different parts, set ups and techniques to see what fits your needs.  Lastly, keep your cables short and lubricated, tires pumped up and bars from getting too high.

I'd buy the book.

Increase the Peace

#2465 2019-01-07 3:24pm

matt thomas

quick2 wrote:

Remember last summer when we rode about 30 miles in 100 degree heat? Haha! That is the bike i ride for everything bmx. 19.5 tt frame for a bunch of years. I rode full offset forks for years. 48mm stem for years. Until very recently i rode 25mm offset forks for the last 3 years. Shortened up my fork to 13mm and got a 39mm stem about 5 weeks ago. The jury is still out? I can go back to my old parts if it doesn't work out. 165mm cranks for a bunch of years. Freecoaster since 04. Usually two brakes, but i have played around with running one,or none. It took me years to figure out what I wanted. Trying to ride flatland specific stuff from 05 to 07 didn't work well for me. Since then my bike has been flat friendly with parts that aren't flatland specific.

#2466 2019-01-07 5:01pm

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

matt thomas wrote:

quick2 wrote:

Remember last summer when we rode about 30 miles in 100 degree heat? Haha! That is the bike i ride for everything bmx. 19.5 tt frame for a bunch of years. I rode full offset forks for years. 48mm stem for years. Until very recently i rode 25mm offset forks for the last 3 years. Shortened up my fork to 13mm and got a 39mm stem about 5 weeks ago. The jury is still out? I can go back to my old parts if it doesn't work out. 165mm cranks for a bunch of years. Freecoaster since 04. Usually two brakes, but i have played around with running one,or none. It took me years to figure out what I wanted. Trying to ride flatland specific stuff from 05 to 07 didn't work well for me. Since then my bike has been flat friendly with parts that aren't flatland specific.

Wise choices. I'm trying to get to a one bike for all. Might take a few years. Last year I got a custom frame designed for overall. It's not the perfect ramp or flat frame but it works for both better than a specific bike.

#2467 2019-01-07 5:04pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

I like reading riders' bike checks, and I wouldn't mine seeing people's specific setups here.

What I used to like in the magazines was seeing some oddball thing and why they did it...things like an extra grip, or grips, on the bend of the handlebars or a grip on the seatpost...stuff like that. A kid once asked me why I had 4 different pegs on my bike. I had an aluminum Odyssey Bigfoot 1.75" on the front left (big diameter for front wheel tricks, light, non-grind side), 1.5" thin walled steel peg with heavy knurling (good grip for my foot, not as heavy as other steel pegs, was made by a machinist at my dad's work, non-grind side) on my rear left. Had a 1.5" tapered Hoffman steel peg on front right for grinding. 1.5" non-tapered Hoffman steel peg on rear right for grinding.

#2468 2019-01-07 5:32pm

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

pwh4130 wrote:

Wise choices. I'm trying to get to a one bike for all. Might take a few years. Last year I got a custom frame designed for overall. It's not the perfect ramp or flat frame but it works for both better than a specific bike.

I can't have one bike that does all until someone invents a 9t 36 spoke hub that combines a Profile Z-Coaster and a Suntour coaster brake. Otherwise, my present ramp bike does it all.

As I've said to Brett in PMs, it took me six pair of handlebars to finally arrive at the right ones for my Haro flat bike. Bars are tough for me, as I like them to be 8" X 26", with the brake levers on the flat part, and still have the length for a full-size grip. And butted for lightness, and heat-treated for strength. I found an 8.5" Redline Flight Pro 3/7 bar that ticks all the boxes, and ended up putting them on my PK Ripper, too. They are a couple years old, and if you can find them, are at blow out prices.

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000, for at least a year. Cheers

#2469 2019-01-07 5:53pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

wadeaminute wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

I can't have one bike that does all until someone invents a 9t 36 spoke hub that combines a Profile Z-Coaster and a Suntour coaster brake. Otherwise, my present ramp bike does it all.

As I've said to Brett in PMs, it took me six pair of handlebars to finally arrive at the right ones for my Haro flat bike. Bars are tough for me, as I like them to be 8" X 26", with the brake levers on the flat part, and still have the length for a full-size grip. And butted for lightness, and heat-treated for strength. I found an 8.5" Redline Flight Pro 3/7 bar that ticks all the boxes, and ended up putting them on my PK Ripper, too. They are a couple years old, and if you can find them, are at blow out prices.

I saw some of those bars on ebay the other day, but they seemed expensive. I think they were $55.

#2470 2019-01-10 7:52pm

matt thomas

Throwback from January of 2015, page 18. Fun pic!
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/248/img_7458_zpsf2f85fc35c3812dd8b.jpg

#2471 2019-01-10 10:13pm

WheelZUP
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

Just a heads up for all of you over 30 fellas, it’s Old Fools Old School weekend at Rays bike park this weekend in Ohio. I would love to meet anyone from here that might be going. I’m probably going to be there Saturday at the very least. You can look it up on their website for more info and details.

#2472 2019-01-11 6:02am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Website

matt thomas wrote:

Throwback from January of 2015, page 18. Fun pic!
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 12dd8b.jpg

That photo was taken by my son when I took the kids to York to visit my parents around Christmas. It was also me testing the first flatland Master in a skatepark. It passed the test.

#2473 2019-01-11 6:07pm

moncho
Pro Member
For Sale: 3

quick2 wrote:

Thanks for the mention Quick2. I will make a bike check soon along with other info about what I look for in a bike and in riding in general.
Meanwhile please check the follow up edit of my last one:

#2474 2019-01-11 6:17pm

phil555
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

46 years young and hailing from the UK.

Was over 36 years since I last rode on an MT Racing Silverfox but after picking one up in December 2018 I thought it was time to show my 13 year old son how the good old guys do a bunny hop. His words were "Dad that was pretty cool". Can't argue with that from a Teenager............. yikes

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/258432/safe88935c394d48e3.jpg

The sun in the background adds a nice touch to the photo.

Last edited by phil555 (2019-01-11 6:18pm)

1982 MT Racing Silverfox
1999 Haro Zippo custom built into an adidas x Haro Freestyler (now sold)
2018 Monza

#2475 2019-01-11 10:52pm

surferkain
Pro MemberA.U.O.K.

Very cool you guys. cool

This is my bike, there are others like it but this one is mine.

Board footer

View Cart →