You are not logged in.

How many 40+ guys still prefer their old vs new ride?  RSS Feed

#126 2016-02-04 9:08pm

fairlyodddad
Pro MemberFLAWLESS VICTORY FATALITY
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 5

Re: How many 40+ guys still prefer their old vs new ride?

azaussie wrote:

fairlyodddad wrote:

fairlyodddad wrote:

Man, somehow I misspoke, well misstyped, and credited Hoffman.  It is actually Mirra.  Oops...
The good stuff starts around 3:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzU1yHsD7I

Yeah, Kip rocks!  He helped me out a ton with my first NS builds in My Bikes.
Been happy with the Premium and Shadow parts so far.  Definitely an upgrade from the Haro 350, thanks to John at Haro!!!  Lotta cool dudes in this sport.

RIP Mirra sad  I am blown away by this sad news, and so shortly after I was just thinking about him, too.

what a shame

Ditto - I watched this after you posted it the other day and was thinking "Man, Mirra looks like he is having a blast both teaching and riding"...RIP Dave.

Yeah, crazy.  Especially I think since he is around our age, you know?

At least he will be remembered.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”  -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------
Looking for a 1990 Bully BashGuard with SN RX8908567 Olive color stolen from me back in 1991
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------

#127 2016-02-05 6:20pm

pkripper68bmx
Pro MemberOriginal Finish Only

#128 2016-02-05 10:39pm

G.
Pro Member
Bikes: 51
For Sale: 5
Website

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Metalurgy is the issue. Old metal deteriorates. But new metal isnt as good as it used to be. Just talk to a guy in the know from a bodyshop. They ll tell ya.

Yeah cause a guy in a body shop knows all about building bikes and bicycle tubing right?  roll 

Yeah, there are cheap (and heavier) Chinese and Taiwanese 4130 Cro-mo frames that use lower quality tubing on LOW end bikes than the quality 4130 tubing on Old School bikes.  But on the other side there are quality N/S frames that are WAY stronger than anything built bitd. 
There are new tubing and versions of 4130 that are FAR superior to 80's 4130....Air Hardened tubing, multi butted, tapered tubing, etc. All 4130 tubing is not the same, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by G. (2016-02-06 9:18am)

LOOKING FOR :
Mid to Late 90's Race stuff  20 & 24"
Standard Bykes Race parts & f/f
Profile Racing chain tensioners in DK Gold (mid school ones)

RAW DEAL TEES

#129 2016-02-08 2:11pm

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

I think the bodyshop guy was meaning steel sheetmetal.... I hear it all the time...new cars are made of super thin sheetmetal and old classic cars were like 4 times thinker.  cars now are made to be lighter and have engineering for crumple zones and a lot of them aren't even welded.  panel bond adhesive is used on a lot of modern cars.  bitd a 4 or 5,000 pound car was "safe" due to heavy duty steel sheetmetal.  now its all about engineering

Increase the Peace

#130 2016-02-08 2:19pm

made2drag
Pro Member

G. is totally right on NS tubing.... ive heard this stuff before.  techniques in the NS tubing and size, tapering and engineering all come in play.  while OS 4130 stuff is strong, its mostly just bent tubing and they couldn't thicken the tubing in areas where breaking occurred and thin back out where frame are strong in order to save weight.

Increase the Peace

#131 2018-12-13 1:32pm

made2drag
Pro Member

NS for me

Increase the Peace

Board footer

View Cart →