You are not logged in.

ACS DOUBLER...DO THEY ACTUALLY WORK???  RSS Feed

#51 2018-11-01 4:54pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!
Bikes: 2

Re: ACS DOUBLER...DO THEY ACTUALLY WORK???

kalel92198 wrote:

I am going to have to check this out because I am still having a hard time dialing in my brakes on my master. I have the boas as well with a rotor and the acs levers and I can’t get my brakes to work good at all. I think I am going to ditch the linear slic cable and go with the non linear slic cable to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully if no change then I will try with this pulley setup.

My brakes were crap with a rotor. I guess they worked good for some since people used them but I always found they worked better with a Gyro.

#52 2018-11-01 5:45pm

Crashman
Pro Member

Draw wrote:

CuriousTurtle wrote:

It'll double the clamping force on the caliper for the same pull on the lever.

^ this

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html
i never knew so many of you dont know how a pulley works lol

this thread is pure gold.

I'd argue that it HALVES THE DISTANCE OF CALIPER TRAVEL for the same amount of caliper pull. Or better still, it doubles the distance of lever pull needed to get the same distance of caliper travel wink

Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

#53 2018-11-01 7:25pm

kalel92198
Pro MemberUnleash The Beast
Bikes: 13

blammo585 wrote:

kalel92198 wrote:

I am going to have to check this out because I am still having a hard time dialing in my brakes on my master. I have the boas as well with a rotor and the acs levers and I can’t get my brakes to work good at all. I think I am going to ditch the linear slic cable and go with the non linear slic cable to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully if no change then I will try with this pulley setup.

My brakes were crap with a rotor. I guess they worked good for some since people used them but I always found they worked better with a Gyro.

I never used a rotor before, first time but I am bound to get it right before I snap back to the gyro.

Slap a tampon in it and call it a day!
ISO:85 mcs styler f/f
Nbd Kattsclawws67
Trades: back spin for front spin
Front steel pro class wheel for Gt fork

#54 2018-11-03 9:20am

ABA180
Candy Apples

kalel92198 wrote:

Curious how it works out.  I have the linear on my Torker and love it, but no detangler so maybe that's why..

#55 2018-11-03 9:20am

ABA180
Candy Apples

kalel92198 wrote:

Oops.  I have the non-linear on my Predator with a rotor. Works great even for my 200 pound carcass

#56 2018-11-03 9:36am

squirrelsmith
Pro MemberLoves Naked Animated Girls!
Bikes: 3

i have a nos doubler in the bag if anyone want to give it  a go

ya'll wanna see a dead body?

#57 2018-11-03 10:57am

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberBitch, Bitch, Bitch, Bitch, Make Me Rich!
Bikes: 42
For Sale: 20

squirrelsmith wrote:

First or second Gen?

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

#58 2018-11-03 11:45am

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

It's a "fix" that failed for an obsolete brake.

Once we had U-Brakes, there was no need. There are so many ways to get your brakes to work better that have become available over the last 30+ years.

I tried a doubler in the 1980s, as I have always been up to try new things for braking. My experience was that the lever traveled twice as far toward the grip, so spongy, relative to what it was before the doubler. Now, in theory you could halve the distance between the rims and the brake shoes and the lever pull should feel normal (relatively), but really, what's the point? You add weight and complication for no benefit (to me, anyways).
If they were really revolutionary, they would have caught on, and would be the standard today. Well, in theory, anyways.

I wish I had the picture of the device I fabricated in the late 1980s to get a Pitbull to work on the front. It had a pulley directly above the brake, and one to the side, so I could get a Pott's Mod setup to work. I got it to function, but it had the same spongy feel, as it was effectively using a doubler.

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000, for at least a year. Cheers

#59 2018-11-03 12:14pm

Crashman
Pro Member

wadeaminute wrote:

Once we had U-Brakes, there was no need. There are so many ways to get your brakes to work better that have become available over the last 30+ years.

I tried a doubler in the 1980s, as I have always been up to try new things for braking. My experience was that the lever traveled twice as far toward the grip, so spongy, relative to what it was before the doubler. Now, in theory you could halve the distance between the rims and the brake shoes and the lever pull should feel normal (relatively), but really, what's the point? You add weight and complication for no benefit (to me, anyways).
If they were really revolutionary, they would have caught on, and would be the standard today. Well, in theory, anyways.

I wish I had the picture of the device I fabricated in the late 1980s to get a Pitbull to work on the front. It had a pulley directly above the brake, and one to the side, so I could get a Pott's Mod setup to work. I got it to function, but it had the same spongy feel, as it was effectively using a doubler.

I mentioned early on in this thread that one of the problems of the doubler is that the brake cable is too stiff for the brake spring to remove 100% of the slack that occurs when the cable goes around that tight of a bend. The lever has to be moved around 1/4 of its travel just to pull up the slack added from the tight bend. Between that and the extra pieces moving around, you're getting a very powerful, spongy brake.

I imagine that in order to attain enough rim clearance, a bunch of guys ended up with an adjustment where they couldn't stop any quicker, but their lever only required half as much effort to bottom out on the grip.

Last edited by Crashman (2018-11-03 12:22pm)

Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

#60 2018-11-03 2:18pm

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

Crashman wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

I mentioned early on in this thread that one of the problems of the doubler is that the brake cable is too stiff for the brake spring to remove 100% of the slack that occurs when the cable goes around that tight of a bend. The lever has to be moved around 1/4 of its travel just to pull up the slack added from the tight bend. Between that and the extra pieces moving around, you're getting a very powerful, spongy brake.

I imagine that in order to attain enough rim clearance, a bunch of guys ended up with an adjustment where they couldn't stop any quicker, but their lever only required half as much effort to bottom out on the grip.

Yes. This is (was) a factor. And the braided cable provided, I remember, was not helping enough to make a difference.

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000, for at least a year. Cheers

#61 2018-11-03 4:04pm

blammo585
Pro MemberDyno Lover!

The 860 was a decent brake especially for its cheap price back in the day. My nephew had one on his GT Vertigo ST. I never tried a Doubler, as the brake worked well enough on its own. It was worlds better than an Odyssey 2000. Of course, it was no Nippon.

#62 2018-11-03 4:05pm

squirrelsmith

Dirty Habits wrote:

squirrelsmith wrote:

First or second Gen?

not sure i'll take a pic monday, its at work

#63 2018-11-04 5:46am

ABA180
Candy Apples

Squirrel, I'm up for it.  Have a couple of bikes that might could use it

#64 2018-11-07 8:33am

squirrelsmith

not hearing back from ABA180 so her it is for those interested
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/15768/20181105_1040215be08ef730.jpg

#65 2018-11-07 8:39am

squirrelsmith

i will add that i have never used the provided cable. i'm also just using it as a rear brake on race bikes so really it's only job as far as what i do is to lock up the wheel and it does that great

Board footer

View Cart →