You are not logged in.

80's U-HAUL 26" Rent-A-Cruiser Winter Build Project  RSS Feed

#51 2018-01-07 7:40am

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Re: 80's U-HAUL 26" Rent-A-Cruiser Winter Build Project

Found an old 333 hub complete, still on a MOSSBERG bike, so that gives me all the little parts I was missing on my NOS 333 hub...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/mossberg15a523e9bdb.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/mossberg25a523ea466.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/333nos35a523ead9c.jpg

"Ignore insulting tongue, duck provoking blow, wear travelers cloak that permits you to endure" Kwai Chang Caine
"River seeks its own level, it won't fight the rock, it flows around it, rock becomes a refuge in the river" Master Po
"If one lives its a certainty he will die, what will happen will happen whether one is a afraid or not" Kwai Chang Caine
"All creatures one with nature, no life insignificant, become a cup empty of yourself full of oneness" Master Khan
"Body dies but the journey goes on, soul sees always, nothing dies that was ever something" Kwai Chang Caine
"If a man dwells on the past he robs the present, if a man ignores the past he may rob the future" Master Po
"When you cease to strive to understand, then you will know without understanding" Kwai Chang Caine

#52 2018-01-07 7:50am

perront
Pro Memberpatty work
Bikes: 20

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileProfileRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
“Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist” -- R.W. Emerson
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- -- King of Qin, Hero

#53 2018-01-09 3:35pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 59

cool I am digging this bike!

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730
Don't get butt hurt when someone posts their opinion to an open forum.

#54 2018-01-17 3:21pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Thanks

New 7X hoops arrived today and ordered SnakeBelly tires, I think I have 99% of the parts, its time to stop shopping and start building! It's been 90 days since I started and another 90 days from now everything in nature will be blooming, so this is the halfway point in the dead of winter and I want to be finished when springtime arrives so I can be cruisin in it.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/a7x5a5fd9a9a6.jpg

Last edited by ChromeCruiser (2018-01-17 3:39pm)

"Ignore insulting tongue, duck provoking blow, wear travelers cloak that permits you to endure" Kwai Chang Caine
"River seeks its own level, it won't fight the rock, it flows around it, rock becomes a refuge in the river" Master Po
"If one lives its a certainty he will die, what will happen will happen whether one is a afraid or not" Kwai Chang Caine
"All creatures one with nature, no life insignificant, become a cup empty of yourself full of oneness" Master Khan
"Body dies but the journey goes on, soul sees always, nothing dies that was ever something" Kwai Chang Caine
"If a man dwells on the past he robs the present, if a man ignores the past he may rob the future" Master Po
"When you cease to strive to understand, then you will know without understanding" Kwai Chang Caine

#55 2018-01-17 9:14pm

surferkain
Pro MemberA.U.O.K.
Bikes: 3

Nice rims.

This is my bike, there are others like it but this one is mine.

#56 2018-02-11 11:58am

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Got the rims laced up the other day, next week will start re-welding the cable routers on the frame.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/uhaul15a80a03f44.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/uhaul25a80a06607.jpg

#57 2018-02-20 3:47pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Cut off welded seat post clamp and the brazed cable guides from their lower frame position, two were not salvageable, cut other cable guides out of an old Huffy frame, cleaned everything up, and welded guides to their new upper frame position...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/guides15a8cb2f8e1.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/guides25a8cb36828.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/guides35a8cb37380.jpg

#58 2018-02-21 9:22am

cancan
Pro Member
For Sale: 2

Do you mind sharing your chrome/rust cleaning process?  That came out clean!

Want To Buy

shimano dx cranks.   vdc pedal cage extenders.   chrome ZAP pad with blue lightning blot.    campy sheriff hubs
_   superlace coaster brake.    Solid blue speedlines 1.75 MINT
Tange MX5 headsets  84 GTBMX seats

#59 2018-02-21 9:30am

Eric DeCastro
Pro Member
For Sale: 10
Website

I know there has been talks of OA bath not being safe, but it's been about 10 years since my last time doing one and will plan on doing it again.  OA works wonders for me, but I might try some barkeepers something or other pal or friend.  I just have a few rust spots to work out.

Righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.

#60 2018-02-21 4:27pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

cancan wrote:

Do you mind sharing your chrome/rust cleaning process?  That came out clean!

Eric DeCastro wrote:

I know there has been talks of OA bath not being safe, but it's been about 10 years since my last time doing one and will plan on doing it again.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all when it comes to this stuff. I'm from the school of antique auto detailing where the rule is "always use the least aggressive means possible" and go from there. There are some frames that I would go OA bath, but in this specific case these were only a set of forks, and because the forks are extremely rare (not valuable) they are not replaceable. So I decided to go with the light surface cleanup and play it safe.

That method you asked about is simply washing them first in warm water with Dawn and a wash cloth to remove dirt and grease. Second step I use super fine 0000 steel wool (not SOS pad) with freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (citric acid) from my breakfast. This does several things, the fine steel wool doesn't scratch, I'm also not applying a lot of pressure and letting the wool do the work which is even less abrasive, and the acid is eating away at the rust on the surface of the chrome chemically. The third step is to use aluminum foil and grapefruit juice on any badly pitted or stubborn areas and welds, this is a lightly abrasive adapting scrubby with chemical assistance. The fourth step is to wash again with soap and water to get clean and re-evaluate. If everything looks good the fifth step is an aggressive hand polish with a good product like Simichrome.

There are a few spots where the rust is pitted through the chrome and there is nothing I can do about that, but I'm just glad the original forks were still attached to the frame when I found it and I was able to save them enough to look presentable.

Last edited by ChromeCruiser (2018-02-21 4:34pm)

#61 2018-02-22 9:26am

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

ChromeCruiser wrote:

Found this seat today by accident for $25, looks like NOS or slightly used and a good match to the original UHAUL seat in the reference photo on Page 1, but I'm not 100% sure what year/era it is. Has a Permaco sticker under it but also marked Persons, plus has Made in the USA in several places and made by The Faulhaber Company in Ohio... can anyone date it???

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 0fdff2.jpg

Discovered something by accident while watching Pee Wee's Big Adventure recently, there was one scene where I got a really good look at his seat and its identical to the seat above I bought a few months ago (same embossed triangles in sides) so it is the correct time period for this build.

Last edited by ChromeCruiser (2018-02-23 5:13am)

#62 2018-02-22 5:07pm

buddhashenglong
Pro Member"torque monster"

This is a crazy build, can't wait to see it finished

Check out the Eclipse Show on KGNU.org Sunday 7pm MST Old School New School True School hip hop
88.5 fm boulder 1390 am denver CO
Podcast available at afterfm.com/eclipse

#63 2018-02-22 7:13pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Thanks, got all the pieces on the NOS hub (doesn't come with parts, had to take them from the old dirty hub)

<nut, washer ---hub--- dust cover, cog, snap ring, non-turn washer, washer, nut, lock nut, push rod, bell crank>

and filled it with Phil Wood Tenacious Oil so its ready to roll. I went with the 22T cog which will give me...

3 HIGH (1.333) 72.3 Gear Inches (flying)
2 - N -  (1.000) 54.2 Gear Inches (cruising) 46/22
1 LOW  (0.750) 40.7 Gear Inches (climbing)

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/gearsdone5a8f8662bf.jpg

Last edited by ChromeCruiser (2018-02-23 5:15am)

#64 2018-03-09 2:50pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Picked up the frame from powder coat and applied my custom decals as soon as I got home today...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/pcdecals15aa30f9eab.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/pcdecals25aa30fa955.jpg

#65 2018-03-10 7:22am

general hustler
Pro Member"GHramps"
Bikes: 12
Website

cool

This just in: Drinking water supply has been compromised. Symptoms include acting irrational and disrespectful when discussing race, religion, and politics. Many impacted.

--------------------------------
NOW YOU FUNNY TOO

#66 2018-03-10 10:47am

Crashman
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

I haven't said anything yet, but according to Sheldon Brown  you're going to want to be really gentle with that 3-speed hub.

Wanted: Inexpensive lot of cheap 7/8" bars for grandkid's bikes. I will paint as needed.

#67 2018-03-13 8:20pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Slow progress but getting there...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/progress5aa8950591.jpg

#68 2018-03-13 8:49pm

Irata
Pro Member
Bikes: 23

This is super cool. What a unique piece. Great resto.
cool

#69 2018-03-14 8:44am

Wyatt'sWorld
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

ChromeCruiser wrote:

Slow progress but getting there...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 950591.jpg

Man that’s looking incredibly, like a man sized orange crate! cool

Word to the wise, communication is key!

Personal will not deal with list.
Claydogg6969 -  unresponsive
79supergoose -  unresponsive

#70 2018-03-14 9:21am

erichevy
Pro Member
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 10
Website

Love it!  Can't wait to see it all together.

"I majored in punk rock" - Mike Watt

#71 2018-03-14 9:41am

perront
Pro Memberpatty work
Bikes: 20

You, sir, are building a masterpiece!

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileProfileRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
“Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist” -- R.W. Emerson
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- -- King of Qin, Hero

#72 2018-03-14 4:28pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Many thanks, started in October and goal was to be finished in April just in time for riding season, so pretty much on schedule. The best thing about this build is how I did the process at a slow leisurely pace and let things come together on their own, as opposed to trying to force things. It's amazing how so many parts found me when I took that approach. That was a personal challenge for me on project like this, because in the past I'd want it finished sooner and be frustrated when I couldn't find part or things weren't coming together fast enough, guess that spiritual maturity thing is actually working, lol.

Last edited by ChromeCruiser (2018-03-14 4:37pm)

#73 2018-03-18 4:14pm

ChromeCruiser
Pro Member

Was able to work on it for a little while today... got the chain installed and back wheel dialed in, surprised how little clearance there is between the tire and chainstay. Another small custom addition was a fork decal with the rental number, because the number was originally dremel'ed into the bottom bracket and I wasn't going to do that, so I came up with the fork decal idea because on the left bottom fork there was an area of chrome that couldn't be saved. That provided a way to hide the defect and seemed like a good spot for it...

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/tire-gap5aaef2ad61.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/forkn-umber5aaef2e1dc.jpg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/239430/uhaul55aaef2d591.jpg

Last edited by ChromeCruiser (2018-03-18 4:29pm)

#74 2018-03-18 5:19pm

general hustler
Pro Member"GHramps"
Bikes: 12
Website

Cool Idea. I wonder how much rentals were when this was in service? cool

This just in: Drinking water supply has been compromised. Symptoms include acting irrational and disrespectful when discussing race, religion, and politics. Many impacted.

NOW YOU FUNNY TOO

#75 2018-03-19 6:03pm

JonnyCruzR
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

Nice work and great attention to detail.

Board footer

View Cart →