You are not logged in.

Old Fat Guy Looking for 26 or 29 Cruiser

#26 2017-02-14 3:48pm

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 1

Re: Old Fat Guy Looking for 26 or 29 Cruiser

Can't go wrong with that yellow OM..no issues with planet..I've ordered stuff from them with ok results

If that Redline was in stock and shipping for that price I'd say go for it...although the OM is cooler in my eyes

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81 and never on a cruiser for God’s sake
Let me guess you were factory sponsored in
the 80’s...
Please no colored tires on race bikes...
So how many years were you a Pro....
You knew a guy that had a Mongoose that weighed 12 pounds
What year did you mix it up with Stu?

#27 2017-02-17 7:01am

archieboycar

RLDAD wrote:

I have the 2017 Performer 26 in white and I love it.  Real relaxed geometry and the cranks are so smooth.   The brakes suck though.  I would stay away from a 24 if your looking to just cruise and pull off a few minor tricks.  The Taj has nice components, long TT and a good reputation but I'm not a huge fan of the green and the green forks.  The Zeke XLT looks like a real nice bike with the red chrome but they seem hard to find.  The White PL26 seems like a real steal on Amazon right now.  I saw the price today and couldn't pass up that price.  $366 for full chromo and flight cranks!.  Bland color but steal of a deal.  Planet seems like good people but sometimes are hard to get a hold of for a question.   Dans Comp, while I never ordered from them, always answers emails quick and they offer 15% off most bike.  Performance Bike has locations all over the country and they have some sweet deals on SE bikes at times.  If you look at many of SE limited editions, they often have redline flight cranks as a reason to charge a premium price.  Seems like the OM Flyer has same geo as the PL26 but the OM is yellow.  The new Big Ripper is a fantastic bike but $800 is steep.  Performance Bike and Planet BMX have them back in stock for $599.  You could probably part out the PL26 for more than the current Amazon price.  I dont think you will find a quality 29 for 500 or less but after you buy the 1st new bike you will find the money to expand your collection.  Is planet trying to move those 2015 PK 26s at a discount?  That is a nice color and the 2017 PK 26 are sold out everywhere.

When you bought the Redline from Amazon, did it state 1-2 months for shipping? Thats what it says now on the Amazon page. Just curious. I may be more interested in it if I could get it sooner than April. Thanks

#28 2017-02-17 8:28am

SuperNOOBIE
Centurion Member

I was always nervous about buying a bike from Amazon, I dont think I would go that route to save a few bucks. Me, I would stick with Planet BMX,Dans, etc.....

#29 2017-02-17 10:04am

boostinB13
Museum Addict
Bikes: 2

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=721656

This yellow Eastern Commando that is up for sale is a smoking deal IMO

(3rd) up is a 2017 Eastern 26in Commando
This is a Limited Edition All Cr-Mo frame,3pc cranks
Bike has rear disc brake

This is a store display bike,rode around the parking lot a few times.

Retail is $499.99

$279.99 free shipping Price dropped

#30 2017-02-17 10:11am

wadeaminute
Spell Check

MacNeil 265 cruiser is the best I've ridden with beach-style but BMX feel.
https://cruiserrevolution.com/tag/macneil-cruiser/

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000. That will do. Cheers

#31 2017-02-17 11:53am

archieboycar

SuperNOOBIE wrote:

I was always nervous about buying a bike from Amazon, I dont think I would go that route to save a few bucks. Me, I would stick with Planet BMX,Dans, etc.....

I hear you on that. I'd like nothing more than to go thru a LBS but no one carries this stuff around me. The one good thing about Amazon is that you can do everything short of setting the product on fire and they will take everything back for free and pay for it. That being said I'd love to cut them out of the equation and support the little guy if the financial disparity isn't too great

#32 2017-02-18 1:17am

RLDAD

Archie I responded to your pm.  I agree Amazon will take anything back.  If you notice Performance Bike, that is owned now by the SE conglomerate,  is starting to put SE bikes on Amazon and now Amazon has a service that will put your bike together for free over a certain price.  Its only a matter of time before most companies will sell directly on Amazon.  I have a local Performance Bike in my area and they often run deals and with their bike club you can get some pretty good discounts.  I think I read in an earlier post that Redline is going Amazon exclusively.  For SE bikes, I think Performance ships to home for 19.99.  I agree that most LBS are $3000 road and mountain bikes and have no desire for BMX even though it seems to be making a small comeback.  Just keep looking out for deals, sales and closeouts and you will find some quality product at deep discounts.

"Cause it ain't where your from, it's where ya at"

#33 2017-02-18 7:11am

archieboycar

Thanks. I live in southern CT about 45 mins from NYC. Once is a blue moon I'll see a kid on a bmx bike. 30 yrs ago it was quite the opposite. I guess there is just no local market for it around here. Kind of sad

#34 2017-02-18 11:07am

2cyclones2
Centurion Member
Bikes: 7

Be warned that when you buy a stock bike it doesn't stay that way for a long haha. I have the red Zeke pictured in this thread. Now it looks like this:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/stolen_bike_co/89697

#35 2017-02-18 11:25am

sc00ter
Intermediate

Aside from changing stuff to make it yours (I finally got off my butt and ordered a new seat and post to save my butt!) you will need a lock for security and lights if you ride at night. The cops will hassle you here if you ride at night with no lights.  So what are you getting? I love my 26" Fairdale Taj and my Eastern Commando-but the Eastern is a 24". I would love to ride the 26" version of the Commando!

#36 2017-02-18 11:37am

Indyjps
Museum Addict
Bikes: 22

Ah crap, this thread has me shopping.  Thanks guys.   

I picked up a Redline MX24 over the winter and have been riding it anytime theres not snow.    Might have to list it locally this spring and pick up a 26".

The avenger is stuck in my head,  suckered for looptails, the Zeke looks really good too,  plenty of height in the frame for cruising.

Last edited by Indyjps (2017-02-18 11:39am)

MTNBKSUK

#37 2017-02-18 12:56pm

supergoose
Bikes: 2

2cyclones2 wrote:

Be warned that when you buy a stock bike it doesn't stay that way for a long haha. I have the red Zeke pictured in this thread. Now it looks like this:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/stolen_bike_co/89697

I bought a 2012 OM Flyer frameset and didn't even keep the fork. Upgraded to the heat treated aftermarket version that should have come with the frame in the first place.

#38 2017-02-18 3:51pm

archieboycar

I ordered the Redline PL-26 from Amazon. With my reward points it came to $340 with the tax shipped Just couldn't pass it up. It won't ship for 1-2 months, so if something else blows me away I can cancel. I really love the look of the Taj, but it's just a little steep for me right now. I'm still trying to talk myself into it

#39 2017-02-18 4:45pm

sc00ter
Intermediate

Got my Taj from a semi-LBS for $500. It was marked down. The front brake cable was routed wrong and the chain was silly tight! But the shop caters to trendy commuters and road bike riders, so they probably never seen a bmx bike, especially with a potts modded front brake. I like the Redline PL-26 and would think that it rides super nice. I also like the promo video on Redlines website were it gets stolen from a store front. Nice choice.

#40 2017-02-18 7:17pm

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!

archieboycar wrote:

I ordered the Redline PL-26 from Amazon. With my reward points it came to $340 with the tax shipped Just couldn't pass it up. It won't ship for 1-2 months, so if something else blows me away I can cancel. I really love the look of the Taj, but it's just a little steep for me right now. I'm still trying to talk myself into it

Dude that's a smoking deal....Amazon might surprise ya...start putting some money what for upgrades..most folks on here can leave anything stock for long

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81 and never on a cruiser for God’s sake
the 80’s...

#41 2017-02-19 4:46am

archieboycar

wadeaminute wrote:

Where do they sell these? I couldnt tell by the Macneil website. I found one on Ebay, but it looks shady. No feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacNeil-Bikes-2 … SwopRYmg~h

#42 2017-02-19 6:31am

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 28
For Sale: 13

archieboycar wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

Where do they sell these? I couldnt tell by the Macneil website. I found one on Ebay, but it looks shady. No feedback

This is the US dist email according to their website

info@tenpackbmx.com

#43 2017-02-19 9:48am

wadeaminute
Spell Check

Minx20 wrote:

archieboycar wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

info@tenpackbmx.com

Ten Pack has closed down. I looked at the eBay listing - and I'm pretty sure that is from the owners of the cruisers - Darcy and Jamie. They are testing ways of selling them direct, I think. WBS is their umbrella company (World Bicycle Sports), and the location of Port Moody, BC would be right. No feedback because it is a new account. Also, that price is about 40% off retail - they are $900 bikes.

The cruisers are amazing - lightweight and agile. Everything is sealed and chromoly and / or alloy. I've actually done laps at BMX tracks on them. My highest recommendation. I might get another for myself, actually.

(I think)

#44 2017-02-20 4:07am

archieboycar

wadeaminute wrote:

Minx20 wrote:

archieboycar wrote:

info@tenpackbmx.com

Ten Pack has closed down. I looked at the eBay listing - and I'm pretty sure that is from the owners of the cruisers - Darcy and Jamie. They are testing ways of selling them direct, I think. WBS is their umbrella company (World Bicycle Sports), and the location of Port Moody, BC would be right. No feedback because it is a new account. Also, that price is about 40% off retail - they are $900 bikes.

The cruisers are amazing - lightweight and agile. Everything is sealed and chromoly and / or alloy. I've actually done laps at BMX tracks on them. My highest recommendation. I might get another for myself, actually.

I sent them a couple questions about the bikes on Ebay. No response as of yet

#45 2017-02-20 8:25am

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!

archieboycar wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

Minx20 wrote:

info@tenpackbmx.com

Let us know...for under 4bills shipped I would be into that. Would cost me more to fix up a CL huffy

the 80’s...

#46 2017-02-21 2:30pm

archieboycar

Mich BMX wrote:

archieboycar wrote:

wadeaminute wrote:

Let us know...for under 4bills shipped I would be into that. Would cost me more to fix up a CL huffy

I took the plunge. Ordered the 29er in black from Macneil. I did a bunch of googling. The company used to be owned by Jay Miron. No one had anything but great stuff to say about them. They did used to retail for $800. I also went back and forth with Jamie from Macneil who was very helpful. After, the currency exchange, ended up being $380 with free shipping. Bike looks sweet for something that's not a hell of alot more than something from Dicks or Target. Full cromo, nice geometry. Hopefully it all works out

#47 2017-02-22 5:48am

RLDAD

MacNeil is a cool looking bike.  Let us know how it turns out.  That is a good price and the geometry seems comfy.

"Cause it ain't where your from, it's where ya at"

#48 2017-02-22 9:09am

cobra_standard
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

That Eastern tho what a deal? How is it still for sale??  yikes

#49 2017-02-22 10:21am

archieboycar

cobra_standard wrote:

That Eastern tho what a deal? How is it still for sale??  yikes

You know I called Lenny from the ad concerning the Eastern. He told me it was a hi-ten f/f. After looking at the Eastern's it looks like the LTD edition which should be full cromo with 3 pc cranks. I'm not sure if he was just mistaken, or the bike in the pics is not the correct one?

#50 2017-02-22 10:21am

wadeaminute
Spell Check

archieboycar wrote:

Mich BMX wrote:

archieboycar wrote:

I took the plunge. Ordered the 29er in black from Macneil. I did a bunch of googling. The company used to be owned by Jay Miron. No one had anything but great stuff to say about them. They did used to retail for $800. I also went back and forth with Jamie from Macneil who was very helpful. After, the currency exchange, ended up being $380 with free shipping. Bike looks sweet for something that's not a hell of alot more than something from Dicks or Target. Full cromo, nice geometry. Hopefully it all works out

You will be pleased! Glad to have lit the fire. Everybody should get one. Tell Jamie that Wade sent you!

(I think)

Board footer