You are not logged in.

26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion  RSS Feed

#1 2016-11-22 5:13am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

-
As we know, the newest 26" GT Performer is obviously for the US-market only.
For me here in Germany there is just the chance to get one out of a limited quantity from UK in january 2017 (alleged limited to 25 for whole Europe - crazy roll).
Against this background I've no chance to see the new model live to proof his quality before buying.

In fact I've studied some discussions here and in social networks about it, but I was not able to find detailed photos and really explicit statements for me as a basis to make my own opinion.

But for me it is important to evaluate the quality.
This because I also have the foregoing model out of 2012/13, showing partially crappy chromium plating and large tolerances in the assembling of the single frame tubes (slanted platform around the seat tube for example) http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/Smileys/smilies/shocked.gif.

Anybody can help?
Particularly with detailed photos to evaluate the weldings, the geometry (straight or slanty) and the finish!?
Maybe someone is able to compare the new and the old model in detail relating to quality differences!?

Every help would be highly appreciated in this case! big_smile

Many thanks in advance!

Michael


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#2 2016-11-24 6:50am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Come on, mates - no opinions, no assessments? yikes


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#3 2016-11-24 8:33am

Indyjps
Pro Member
From: Chicago
Registered: 2016-09-07
Posts: 2445
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 1

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

No opinion on GT,  can you get an SE?

My pick would be a 24" So Cal Flyer,  aluminum frame, $100 less, confidence in their quality.


MTNBKSUK

Location: Chicago Burbs

Offline

 

#4 2016-11-24 8:40am

ridgeline
Pro Member
From: Calumet, MI
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 803
Bikes: 2

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

I have one and am happy with the welds etc...  The only thing that seems off to me is the tires.  The skinwalls have a blurry edge that makes them look cheap.

I'll email you some photos, pm me.  My phone isn't able to load them.


For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

Offline

 

#5 2016-11-24 8:42am

ridgeline
Pro Member
From: Calumet, MI
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 803
Bikes: 2

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Got it http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/100249/image5837184f05.jpeg

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/100249/image5837184803.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/100249/image583718481e.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/100249/image58371837b3.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/100249/image5837183b57.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/100249/image5837184131.jpeg


For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

Offline

 

#6 2016-11-24 8:45am

ridgeline
Pro Member
From: Calumet, MI
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 803
Bikes: 2

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

I have other 26 Performers.  The main reason I bought this was because the frame styling is more OG than previous models and I like the new cranks.

I wish the decals weren't under the clear coat so I could set this up like an 85.  I might get some custom white backed decals.

Last edited by ridgeline (2016-11-24 8:46am)


For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

Offline

 

#7 2016-11-24 8:48am

ridgeline
Pro Member
From: Calumet, MI
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 803
Bikes: 2

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Old bikes didn't have pretty welds either, only the Taiwan models lol


For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

Offline

 

#8 2016-11-24 9:01am

Hatebreeder
Pro MemberBlack Bikes Matter..
From: IL
Registered: 2007-12-17
Posts: 7123
Bikes: 18

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Some of the welds on mine are not good looking at all. Looks like my 9yr old daughter welded them. Also, some of the decals are crooked.

Offline

 

#9 2016-11-24 9:17am

OM RypRyder
Centurion Member
From: Tucson,AZ
Registered: 2016-11-20
Posts: 128

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

the seat set up is butt ugly,to me it looks dated,the laser etched cranks are nice,but other than that,it reminds me of a cotton candy,pansy,remake SORRY

!

Offline

 

#10 2016-11-24 12:58pm

cobra_standard
Pro Member
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2008-05-30
Posts: 1832
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 4

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

So many rad OG cruisers around why waste money on cheap and nasty retros.  hmm

Offline

 

#11 2016-11-24 1:20pm

El Goodo
Expert
Registered: 2014-07-26
Posts: 692

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

The bike costs $500 and is full chromoly.  I think folks may be expecting a bit much for the money.

Offline

 

#12 2016-11-24 1:23pm

Hatebreeder
Pro MemberBlack Bikes Matter..
From: IL
Registered: 2007-12-17
Posts: 7123
Bikes: 18

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

El Goodo wrote:

The bike costs $500 and is full chromoly.  I think folks may be expecting a bit much for the money.

99% of the new school stuff I own is made over seas. This is by far the worst when it comes to quality control that I have seen.

Offline

 

#13 2016-11-25 1:03am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Indyjps wrote:

No opinion on GT,  can you get an SE?

My pick would be a 24" So Cal Flyer,  aluminum frame, $100 less, confidence in their quality.

I agree - SE models seems to be high quality bikes!
But I also have two 24" mid-school-cruiser (HARO "Group 1 Si" and a S&M "Challenger").
Compared with my GT 26" Performer model 2012/13, the 26" geometry is much more comfortable to drive, particularly when I'm cruising with my family,  however having those BMX feeling wink
SE also offers 26" cr-mo models here in Germany, like the "Quadangle Looptail" or "OM Flyer" as well as the aluminum "PK Ripper Looptail".
All very beautifull bikes, but for me the design of the Performer pulls me away tongue
I also have seen that Skyway will come with a 26" Cruiser - this could also be a real beauty...but when?


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#14 2016-11-25 1:33am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

ridgeline wrote:

I have other 26 Performers.  The main reason I bought this was because the frame styling is more OG than previous models and I like the new cranks.

I wish the decals weren't under the clear coat so I could set this up like an 85.  I might get some custom white backed decals.

So happy - many thanks for sharing the photos!! big_smile
For what I can see: For me the welds seems ok so far... it's a beauty and sooooo close to the original one!
This is also for me the reason that I want to have one, because the previous models are ok but look like hybrids out of different epoches... tongue

In fact, placing the decals under that clear coating makes it difficult to individualize the bike.
On the other hand the decals are much more protected - as we know, all affixed decals from back in the days are getting scratched and harmed over the years roll
Unfortunately the frame uses a gusset at the lower end of the down tube in the bow-area.
The GT-sticker looks very crumpled on it - sad sad
I highly appreciate your idea to get repro decals printed on white foil!
That's a very nice way to get it individual without distroying the originality (to get back again the original look just by removing the new decals from the original ones).
Needs a matching white-tone for the foil to hit the frame color!
Or you have to cut out the outline, so the white of the foil remains only in un-printed areas inside the "inner" of the decal.

Regarding the photo with the tires....yes, looks cheap.
But that's not the first time for me to see such a disappointing finish on tan wall tires.
For example, the new Panaracer tires have the same "problem" - time has change, and not everything has become better... hmm


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#15 2016-11-25 1:46am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

OM RypRyder wrote:

the seat set up is butt ugly,to me it looks dated,the laser etched cranks are nice,but other than that,it reminds me of a cotton candy,pansy,remake SORRY

!

Hm, for me especially the seat seems to be a very comfortable copy of the original one.

@ridgeline: Can you confirm that?

For me only the black painted seat post looks unsuitable...
Would prefer a chromed one - as well as a chrome handlebar on the white frame big_smile

For me the black painted seat post looks unsuitable, would prefer a chromed one as well as a chrome handlebar on the white frame big_smile

I understand the reason behind the clear coated decals as well as the lasered cranks in the way just to make everything resistant against abrasive influences.
In fact, silver crank arms and white letters look a little bit "bleached".
But I'm pretty sure that you can use the rough lasered areas to put some black paint on it (after masking everything with cutted out foil like you use to make airbrush pictures), just to get back the original look.
On the other hand you can put some repro decals on it - just like nearly everyone uses for his old original power series cranks wink


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#16 2016-11-25 1:51am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Hatebreeder wrote:

Some of the welds on mine are not good looking at all. Looks like my 9yr old daughter welded them. Also, some of the decals are crooked.

Seems that there are some differences in the finish/outcome of each bike... neutral
Particularly crooked decals are very annoying, because we are not able to correct them roll


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#17 2016-11-25 1:58am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

Hatebreeder wrote:

El Goodo wrote:

The bike costs $500 and is full chromoly.  I think folks may be expecting a bit much for the money.

99% of the new school stuff I own is made over seas. This is by far the worst when it comes to quality control that I have seen.

As I've heared:
The US- and European market is separated in a way that bikes offered in US are produced in China, wherein the bikes for the European market get build in Taiwan.
Against this background you can find big differences in the quality for obvious the same bikes, depending from where you "have to" buy it - crazy...mad

Can somebody confirm this?


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#18 2016-11-25 2:03am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

cobra_standard wrote:

So many rad OG cruisers around why waste money on cheap and nasty retros.  hmm

It's not so easy to get a cool OG BMX-cruiser here in Germany, particularly a 26" one hmm
But I make a difference in my bikes:
I love survivors in 100% original buildup.
The 26" BMX is just a fun bike for cruising around with my family, however having those BMX feeling tongue


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#19 2016-11-25 2:08am

oldschool_bmx_freestyler
Pro Member
From: NRW | Germany
Registered: 2014-10-27
Posts: 1023
Bikes: 9

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

@ridgeline:
What would you say, ist the frame powder coated or "just" painted?

You say, that you're owning more than one 26" BMX - are you able to compare the new GT Performer model with the foregoing one (I mean: Do you also have the "old" model)?


I am such an 80s kid...

Offline

 

#20 2016-11-25 9:39am

ridgeline
Pro Member
From: Calumet, MI
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 803
Bikes: 2

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

I like the seat as it has the og look to it.

86 Gt's were supposed to look like fairy dusters, that was cool back then.

I prefer 85 styling, never got into the 80's pink stuff.

I thought this was a great buy and value at $500.  I would have paid that for the frame set, seat, and drivetrain.

I have a threadless mallet, 26" speed lines and og GT skinwalls for this thing already.  Just want a more 85 look decal wise.

The frame sold me, as the drops and geometry feel more like a true 85/6


For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

Offline

 

#21 2016-11-25 9:41am

ridgeline
Pro Member
From: Calumet, MI
Registered: 2012-08-21
Posts: 803
Bikes: 2

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

I have last years model, and just sold an older one to make room for this.

The tires are junk, the frame seems at least on par with others, at least the one I got is.  The welds are on par with an 86 on mine.

This is painted with a clear coat


For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-- but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:6-8)

Offline

 

#22 2016-11-25 9:43am

cobra_standard
Pro Member
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2008-05-30
Posts: 1832
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 4

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

I think you nailed it when you said you wanted that "BMX feeling". 
With a stock $500 retro bike like this you're buying nostalgia or the idea of what BMX used to be when you were a kid. If that's what you're looking for and it puts a smile on your dial then I say go for it!   If you're concerned with product quality and ride-ability this bike isn't going to deliver longer term.   
There are much better cruiser options at that pricepoint and many shops now ship internationally.

Offline

 

#23 2016-11-25 11:37am

Lusk BMX
Pro Member
From: Olympia, WA
Registered: 2009-10-14
Posts: 570
For Sale: 5

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

This is the best answer you will get!  http://gt1972.com/products/18423655-26-d-legend-cruiser

Offline

 

#24 2016-11-25 11:47am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Registered: 2007-06-28
Posts: 21557
Bikes: 79
For Sale: 1

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

oldschool_bmx_freestyler wrote:

Indyjps wrote:

No opinion on GT,  can you get an SE?

My pick would be a 24" So Cal Flyer,  aluminum frame, $100 less, confidence in their quality.

I agree - SE models seems to be high quality bikes!
But I also have two 24" mid-school-cruiser (HARO "Group 1 Si" and a S&M "Challenger").
Compared with my GT 26" Performer model 2012/13, the 26" geometry is much more comfortable to drive, particularly when I'm cruising with my family,  however having those BMX feeling wink
SE also offers 26" cr-mo models here in Germany, like the "Quadangle Looptail" or "OM Flyer" as well as the aluminum "PK Ripper Looptail".
All very beautifull bikes, but for me the design of the Performer pulls me away tongue
I also have seen that Skyway will come with a 26" Cruiser - this could also be a real beauty...but when?

or buy a Haro 26" like mine. it cruises nice and looks old school
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/6905/harodttdsc00027-257f5a912855838953b6f.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/6905/dsc000525838953cd8.jpg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/6905/dsc000655838953dc3.jpg


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#25 2016-11-25 5:41pm

cobra_standard
Pro Member
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2008-05-30
Posts: 1832
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 4

Re: 26" GT Performer (2017) - quality discussion

If you live in Germany you should track down a WTP 26".  I've ridden one they ride super nice.  Well designed/made throwback looking cruiser but modern where it counts and the stock parts selection is quality.
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/15867/img_53585838e97826.png

Last edited by cobra_standard (2016-11-25 5:46pm)

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →