You are not logged in.

GT fans,chime in...GT Piston stem - 3D designed  RSS Feed

#76 2009-06-21 5:39pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
Bikes: 5

Re: GT fans,chime in...GT Piston stem - 3D designed

SCIVIC94 wrote:

if you do the mallets , what length will the short and freestyle stems be? i have an original you can borrow to get your basic dimensions

Freestyle or else Pro XL is about 50-55mm center to center...i should check first.
Short reach is 35mm if i'm not mistaken (i don't have a SHOW stem)

Sending your original down to Greece it won't be the best idea tongue wink

dc1 wrote:

I think GT threadless stems are already re-poped aren't they? I bought one that was NOS but the GT print on the front wasn't straight. In his pic he had the camera at the right angle to make it look straight. It also wasn't etched like most that I have seen. Also, I do support the innovation that goes into making your own parts. GOOD JOB   cool

There were different versions of the GT Piston stem...and sometimes it gets very annoying(especially if it's going to be for your everyday bike) until you get your hands on the right one,
-Tawain made
-USA made (stamped on the sides, etched logo & cnc machined)
The USA ones come in 3 different sizes as well. And there was an Inverted USA Piston model for those who wanted to run their bars lower.

So, Tawain mades had some of imperfections you mentioned
but it's possible someone is selling fake ones out there.
I've seen SO many fake mallets and top load Pro Series stems on ebay....and i reported some of them too! mad You can't sell these bad re-pops as original NOS GT stems on ebay for $30 per item...

MonocoqueMike wrote:

If you do make these stems, you aren't going to do any quality control (due to the high price of producing one of these) so what happens if one of your "bro's" on this site is doing some flatland with one of the stems you produce, it snaps and he gets pretty f'd up...Then he has the possibility to sue you...Are you gonna want to put your house/family on the line to make a stem?  Just another thing to consider...If I was going to distribute something like that I'd be sure to have paperwork that everyone that I sent a stem to wouldn't be able to sue me if something went wrong...

Seriously if I was you, I would mark them for show only to avoid any of this...

wink
Yeah, that's an issue when you build something that is going to take some abuse....BUT remember we're NOT talking for selling LOADS OF STEMS here...and if anyone did that wasn't me. I would ship them to very selected people.

And I doubt if any of the "big" brands out there do any kind of a quality control on their stuff they are selling and i kinda know what i'm talking about.
Quality control is their Pros to prove it! That's a part of their job.

fiftyone50 wrote:

...but I'm sure duke didn't put all that much work into what he's done here. Looks like he was just playing around with some free time. Since I saw the retro shows with the threadless block stem, I've done this same thing a few times, but I don't have an og mallet to base it off of - so I never came up with a final design to try to have one run.

As far as doing quality control, when making custom pieces like this it makes sense to specify high quality materials, and you can specify the tolerances to the machine shop, so they will make what you design to within a c-unit hair. If you make sure there's enough material there in the design, shouldn't be anyone breaking it unless they are too fat for a 20" bike anyway?

After that, anyone "in the know" shouldn't be able to get taken on a part that never existed (such as the threadless mallet).... I bet the three guys that have those three mallets paid quite a few dollars for them, like probably more than an original mallet would set someone back.
If someone were to remake the show mallets, start selling them as NOS for $100 ea.... well that would be wrong.

That all being said though, if you made the parts, put it in the box, taped the box up, and wrote "custom parts intended for show use only" all over it, and took a picture of that for when you mailed it out, that probably wouldn't be a bad idea in this sue happy world.  It's one thing to re-produce something, it's something else entirely to pass it off as original.

Straight out of my mouth, thanks Fiftyone50 wink I agree on everything you said.
Stem was designed on my free time without even having it on my hand to look at it and compare...a real job will be of the hook! (and then it depends to the machinist)

TRILOGY wrote:

good lord ! hmm

people going off the deep end. roll

if you wanna bash somebody who is making profits and not being truthful with buyers, you can email "coffeemilk" or a few others on ebay that pass off counterfeit parts as "nos".

i think there are a select few on this board that just go around to different threads to find something to cry about.

Amen to this Trilogy! Amen.

And as for heat treating.....NONE of the repops out there are heat treated.
I dare to say that even the biggest brands almost never heat treat aluminum made stems.
A stem is made out of a block of aluminum....since no welding has done to it, there's no need to step into strengthening process...(i don't know the exact english words to explain it better)
Heat treating is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and you can end up destroying the crystal cells of the material ending to a more sensitive part, prone to breaking that could cause an accident.
SO, that's the reason why you choose the best quality materials available from the first place. (6061 T6 or 7075 will do just great)

7075 is lighter and more durable too.

If i ever build a stem like that and it's off to go...i guarantee it myself that it will be the last part it will break on the bike!
(especially a threadless mallet where there's more than enough material on it to withstand big weights and forces applied to it)

Last edited by Duke 01 (2009-06-21 5:41pm)

!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

#77 2009-06-21 5:52pm

SCIVIC94
Pro Member
Bikes: 24
For Sale: 3

yeah i just noticed your in greece. just grab an ebay repop . side by side they are identical. if you do them in 50mm reach that would be great. new school freestyle/jump/street stems range from 49mm -55mm.

#78 2009-06-21 8:55pm

fiftyone50

Take some pics of the mallet with a tape measure to show pretty much all the dimensions for me, I'd be happy to model/draw up blueprints, and make the drawing public domain.

Then, if someone on here had access to a CNC mill, and WANTED to do something cool (by not charging $500 worth of BS machine shop setup time)...... maybe we could get some done? smile

WANTED: '87-'88 HARO MASTER (a DEAL on one, that is wink )

#79 2009-06-22 6:45am

Duke 01
Lunatic Child

SCIVIC94 wrote:

[......]

I might have a line on mallet smile
Or else i'll contact Trilogy or Pep.

fiftyone50 wrote:

Take some pics of the mallet with a tape measure to show pretty much all the dimensions for me, I'd be happy to model/draw up blueprints, and make the drawing public domain.

Then, if someone on here had access to a CNC mill, and WANTED to do something cool (by not charging $500 worth of BS machine shop setup time)...... maybe we could get some done? smile

That was my thinking as well.
A CNC machinist is needed though.

I'm getting back the soonest possible.

!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

#80 2016-08-29 4:16pm

drc85
Centurion Member

wow this ahead stem is the shit... i need one can somebody give me the 3d file i know a cnc guy

80s baby...

Board footer

View Cart →