You are not logged in.

WARNING: Rio de Janeiro Olympic City is Dangerous  RSS Feed

#51 2016-06-30 7:38am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

Re: WARNING: Rio de Janeiro Olympic City is Dangerous

Yes, the world can be a dangerous place, but we mustn't allow fear to paralyze us and breed more fear and ignorance.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#52 2016-06-30 8:13am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

Brazil is on a roll,they must be rolling hard with the bribes.First FIFA now the IOC.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 is $20!

#53 2016-06-30 8:15am

spyker

perront wrote:

Yes, the world can be a dangerous place, but we mustn't allow fear to paralyze us and breed more fear and ignorance.

Very true what you say Perron,but who's willing to risk their life to take a stand against this.Brazil and South America in general is one of the most fcuked up places on earth.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 is $20!

#54 2016-06-30 8:24am

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archaeologist
For Sale: 1

spyker wrote:

perront wrote:

Very true what you say Perron,but who's willing to risk their life to take a stand against this.Brazil and South America in general is one of the most fcuked up places on earth.

as someone who has traveled extensively in South America, I gotta tell you that you're WRONG

"Why is the hatred of Assange so intense, crossing party, and ideological lines? Perhaps it's because he showed America for what it actually is, rather than how it likes to be perceived."

#55 2016-06-30 8:25am

perront
Pro MemberThe Red Dog of The Hills
Bikes: 20

spyker wrote:

perront wrote:

I hear you, Neil.  I reckon that most of the athletes who plan on competing are not exactly planning on guarding their grills whilst trying to win medals.  It does put them in a precarious situation.  However, I will draw a correlation between this situation and the school I work at, which resides in a neighborhood in which we typically hear gunshots at least once a week -- during the school day, and within two blocks of the school.  The other teachers and I don't really think about it, but it's damned unfortunate that those are the work conditions we are faced with, and that the kids are being asked to learn in.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksman!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#56 2016-06-30 10:19am

spyker

Axel10 wrote:

spyker wrote:

perront wrote:

as someone who has traveled extensively in South America, I gotta tell you that you're WRONG

You are speaking from a tourist point of view,Ask someone that actually lives in one of those places.I have family in Brazil still,most of them are here now and some of the stories they have told me....

One of my neighbours takes in international students,the majority of them are from south america.They all have told me some messed up stuff where they are from.But then again,what do they know....they only live there.

$20 is $20!

#57 2016-06-30 10:26am

Axel10

spyker wrote:

Axel10 wrote:

spyker wrote:

You are speaking from a tourist point of view,Ask someone that actually lives in one of those places.I have family in Brazil still,most of them are here now and some of the stories they have told me....

One of my neighbours takes in international students,the majority of them are from south america.They all have told me some messed up stuff where they are from.But then again,what do they know....they only live there.

still wrong

I've lived and worked there. Carry on w/your boisterous opinions masquerading as pseudo facts

"Why is the hatred of Assange so intense, crossing party, and ideological lines? Perhaps it's because he showed America for what it actually is, rather than how it likes to be perceived."

#58 2016-06-30 10:30am

OhGee
Pro MemberJet Life
Bikes: 17

axel - how long ago?

.                                      Plot All Night
                                   Bust Moves All Day
                                 It's Just The JET Way

Est. '91

#59 2016-06-30 10:36am

spyker

Axel10 wrote:

spyker wrote:

Axel10 wrote:

still wrong

I've lived and worked there. Carry on w/your boisterous opinions masquerading as pseudo facts

Believe what you like.

And I will too.

$20 is $20!

#60 2016-06-30 10:36am

spyker

OhGee wrote:

axel - how long ago?

Probably 20+ years ago.

$20 is $20!

#61 2016-06-30 10:46am

Axel10

OhGee wrote:

axel - how long ago?

2011 was my last extended working trip in Lima (2 months). In fact, shortly after my return to Canada I joined this place smile

#62 2016-06-30 2:03pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Bikes: 5
Website

Been going down there for a long time, even lived there for 5 years and I'm still a Permanent Resident. I've been to far worse places, some right here in the US. Don't believe the hype.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#63 2016-06-30 4:57pm

Backinthesaddle44
Pro Member"be careful what you ask for"

There are known unsafe areas of the US, but I choose not to live there... family comes first...calculated risks. My uncle's were run off the road and robbed at gun point in Mexico by some local banditos targeting US citizens years ago, very lucky to be alive. They knew they had cash on them in their RV, they went on a buying visit for their stores. Another area, central northern Mexico, I won't be frequenting. Informed choices, smart decisions... I'm not scared to leave my house at all, or walk down my street at 2 a.m. either. Choices. Just like when I'm in D.C. late at night, in some areas a red light just means slow down...lol

That said, i'm very suspect of the police in many countries, so if they say it's dangerous, I may consider it. Otherwise what's the angle ? Getting more pay ? Or getting paid at all ? People don't say things like this unless it's true or they have anterior motives. So which is it ?

Without a doubt things are changing there.

Rio’s state government said Thursday that 84 people were killed by police in May, a 91% increase from a year earlier. Street muggings are up 43% this year, with 9,968 cases in May alone.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/woes-confou … 1467329562

We are paid by those who learn by our mistakes ~ The Working Hour

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato

#64 2016-06-30 5:28pm

itsdug
Pro MemberMike Hunt
Bikes: 5
Website

You better stay in the house bro.

BMX IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Board footer