You are not logged in.

OK, CONVINCE ME ON NEW SCHOOL  RSS Feed

#26 2016-04-24 8:06am

flatpro
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

Re: OK, CONVINCE ME ON NEW SCHOOL

Have to agree. The new school bikes are really fun to ride and a lot easier to ride too. Bought a Fit complete bike a couple of years ago and I'm still stoked about what good quality I got for little money. Not saying I can do all kinds of crazy tricks that I couldn't do back in the days but overall everthing seems a bit easier and smoother. I love my mid school bikes but I wouldn't take them to the skatepark anymore now that I know what these new bikes ride like.

Looking for a Schwinn Mean Street frame

#27 2016-04-24 8:18am

El Gecko
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

4130_stoner wrote:

eightyfivegt wrote:

I sold all my old bikes and parts. I have two new school bikes now. This article is interesting and may help you:
http://riderinblack.com/dissecting-the- … -bike.html

that write up was done by my buddy Dion, he knows his shit! cool

I just read through a bunch of his stuff. He's got a great perspective on riding and life. I know what I'm doing today - Riding! cool

Last edited by El Gecko (2016-04-24 10:21am)

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#28 2016-04-24 9:57am

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

A new bike may help out some, but the best thing is to just keep riding.  Often!!  Its only spring so there is plenty of time for progession this year.

Frankn kuwi u lined em up like the 3 stooges and back slapped the fork out the glitches!
Pimp Status!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#29 2016-04-24 10:28am

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

The main thing, as people have said above, is to practice / ride. I have never quit riding for 36 years, and while I am not riding at a pro level, I have incrementally laid a foundation that keeps me able to show up at a skatepark and hold my own. So, again, #1 is put in the time.
With regard to equipment - if you can ride, it honestly doesn't matter much what you ride. You should never depend on the technology over technique. I can ride a new school bike, and I can ride a 1985 set up and still get some tricks done.
Here's where it gets slightly complicated - and this might seem to contradict what I just wrote above - but the new bikes are sooooooo much better. The 80s bikes were obsolete by 1990. Again, incrementally, and slowly, like barnacles on a boat's hull, the technology has improved over the last 30 years. Longer front ends help. Shorter back ends are amazing. And clamp-on stems / forks, too, are amazing.
Almost any complete bike over $400 from a reputable brand will be not only be good enough, but exponentially better than the top 1980s full-factory pro bikes. I rode a box-stock Volume District ($500 Canadian) at Woodward a month ago and the bike did not get in my way whatsoever. Well, other than changing out the brakeshoes for clear ones - but that was it. I sold it to Eddie Fiola a few days later for his friend.
I think the best and worst thing about this site is the fetishization of the bikes / components. You used the 1990-ish term "soul riding" - that was about actually riding and not worrying about the bikes / marketing (ironically - the term was immediately used for marketing).

(I think)

***I have stopped posting at 1000. That will do. Cheers

#30 2016-04-24 12:15pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

Why the low seats???

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#31 2016-04-24 1:00pm

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Why the low seats???

It's functional - to a point - they are out of the way if they are low. But to each their own.
Maybe watch some newer riding videos? Google Chad Kerley or Garret Reynolds. No one is sitting down. An no one needs to set up their bikes for the old "rule of the thumb".

(I think)

#32 2016-04-24 1:49pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

Why plastic pedals?
I'd think they'd break too fast..

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#33 2016-04-24 2:03pm

spyker
Pro MemberPinocchio In Training

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Why plastic pedals?

Plastic pedals are for people who like to do pedal grinds and or keep their shins happy.Also at alot of sakteparks,the metal counterparts are not permitted due to the damage they cause on the course.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#34 2016-04-24 2:35pm

wadeaminute
Pro MemberSpell Check

spyker wrote:

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Why plastic pedals?

Plastic pedals are for people who like to do pedal grinds and or keep their shins happy.Also at alot of sakteparks,the metal counterparts are not permitted due to the damage they cause on the course.

Well, MKS Graphites are 30+ years old. I've been running them or the KHE copies forever.

(I think)

#35 2016-04-24 2:40pm

ricar
Pro Member

The low seats are about keeping them out of the way but it's not really new school. Guys were doing that back in 1990. It depends on what you like more than anything, some guys like them high enough to pinch with their knees for bar spins ect, other guys want them low as possible. I keep mine high enough that I can sit and pedal because my knee won't bend all the way after my ACL replacement. I refuse to run it lower than that and it's not in the way for anything I do.

Plastic pedals are a thing of choice or necessity for parks. I remember an interview with Brian Foster complaining he wanted new pedals but all the pedals on the market were plastic. I'm surprised by that, but I hate plastic pedals as well. I'm still riding old Distortion pedals  but I would love some caged pedals. I wish I never sold my GT double cage with Trogg cages, they were awesome.

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

#36 2016-04-24 2:46pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

My favourite geometry that suited my riding style is my 87 STREETBEAT. Not actually sure what the stats are, but if I do get a NS  platform...I'd like it to be similar geo. Any suggestions?
And what u guys think about all 4130 WE THE PEOPLE?

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2016-04-24 2:47pm)

ALICE COOPER

#37 2016-04-24 5:51pm

ricar
Pro Member

Okay, that bike had some long stays. You would probably be best off looking for a DJ specific frame as they tend to be longer in the rear and most likely you'd be looking for a 74° head angle which again would be only on a DJ specific frame.  That being said, the Street Beat was marketed as having a "steeper" head angle so it may have had a 74.5, I don't remember when that became the norm. Back then none of the manufacturers put their angles on the ads, at least that I remember.

Most NS frames have 13.75" chain stays because it's short and the chain length works with a 25/9 and short dropouts. Old school frames were as long as 15"

A lot of NS frames are going with 75° head angles where OLD school frames had 73° head angles. They slowly went from 73 to settle at 74.5 for the longest time, only a few frames remained at 74. That was a more race oriented or higher speed oriented frame. "Freestyle" frames all went to 74.5 until a few years ago some started the 75.

The top tubes also got longer so the overall length of the frames are pretty similar. No more Chicago bars, no more long stems, get a longer TT and away you go. Your old Street Beat may have had a 18" or 19" TT which would be considered very short now. Most frames are (Park-Tech street) 20 point something  to (Trails/ Race) 22"

As a street rider you may want to start around 21" or so but you will probably end up with a frame with sub 14" stays.

#38 2016-04-26 12:51am

flatpro
Pro Member

STREETBEATBEAST wrote:

Why plastic pedals?

I've had mine for about 4 years and they are still absolutely fine. Also grip has never been an issue either. I had my doubts too but now I have to say these new plastic pedals are really great. very light and good to your shins.

#39 2016-04-26 3:50am

ricar
Pro Member

You can't have pedals that are good to your shins AND have good grip!! big_smile

#40 2016-04-26 3:55am

flatpro
Pro Member

ricar wrote:

You can't have pedals that are good to your shins AND have good grip!! big_smile

big_smile that's what I used to think as well but as I said I haven't had any problems with plastic pedals at all.

#41 2016-04-26 7:01am

leghound79
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

One advantage to new school bikes, they all look the same.   You pretty much, just have to pick a color!tongue

"I've got a smile on my face, and you didn't put it there!"

#42 2016-04-26 7:07am

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

hey streetbeatbeast,  just build this and you should be happy:  http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/colony/86468

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

#43 2016-04-26 1:30pm

pullmehome
Pro Member

flatpro wrote:

ricar wrote:

big_smile that's what I used to think as well but as I said I haven't had any problems with plastic pedals at all.

I think we just used to think metal pedals had superior grip. I've never had an issue slipping pedals that I felt like was because the pedal it's always my fault. Also new shoes IMO make a bigger difference than pedals grip wise. I just switched out my worn shoes for new ones and feel like I'm glued to my plastic colony's

#44 2016-04-26 1:41pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

made2drag wrote:

hey streetbeatbeast,  just build this and you should be happy:  http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/colony/86468

Cool I'll look into it. Is it all 4130

ALICE COOPER

#45 2016-04-26 2:37pm

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

I think it is 4130.  Ask FRESSTYLE FREEK.  also check out his SuperCross....double top tube

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

#46 2016-04-26 2:58pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI

If only SKYWAY would have listened to us real friends lol, I would have bought a new school STREETBEAT. Oh well lol

ALICE COOPER

Board footer

View Cart →