You are not logged in.

Guitar Players of BMXmuseum.....What's your best advice or tip?

#26 2015-11-03 5:54pm

GenerationBMX
Mid-School Seat Hater

Re: Guitar Players of BMXmuseum.....What's your best advice or tip?

451 wrote:

Your fingers hurt?  Well now your back is gonna hurt because you just pulled landscaping duty!
Anybody else's fingers hurt???  Didn't think so...lollollollol

Sorry, Happy Gilmore reference.

It's normal for your fingers to hurt though, just keep at it and they'll develop calluses and stop hurting.
The thing with chords is that you're asking your fingers to press down hard enough to have the notes sound clearly.  That can be a pain
literally and figuratively.  Try keeping a finger on ONE note only, pressed down well enough to have it sound clearly and consistently.

The other challenge is finger spread, they'll have a tendency to want to bunch up, even if trying barre chords.  Just take it slow and keep
having fun with it.  Elixir strings are great but don't get suckered into spending more $$ then you need to at first.  Also, check out juststrings.com
they've got string sets and individual strings you can buy on the cheap.  I've been playing D'Addario strings pretty much since I started playing
25 years ago and I've tried GHS, Elixir, Ernie Ball and lots of others and always come back to D'Addarios.  If it were me on that Epiphone I'd
be buying some .10 gauge strings... possibly a set of light top/heavy bottoms. And I'd buy a 3 or 5 pack.  No I don't work for juststrings.  Buy
them wherever you want but I'd skip the Elixirs going forward unless you have the $$ to spare.  Breaking and changing strings yourself is a skill
you're going to want to learn.  Totally normal to snap strings at first, especially the High E. 

To avoid string snappage, after you've learned how to change the strings yourself, give them a good workout BEFORE attempting to tune up
which will help eliminate slippage and them coming out of tune.  Also, winding them on the machine head properly helps as well.  PM me if you
want details.

Either way, keep at it! cool

*FIRST WEEK UPDATE* i really have appreciated your advice and comments!

After my first week, I can say that I'm having a lot of fun, and i've actually exceeded my expectations, with this guitar thing, during the first week.
I've practiced everyday (except one) and have learned/memorized the basic open chords. C,G,E,D, and A.  I'm now focusing my sights on C7,G7,E7,D7 & A7.
I've been trying to play the Foo Fighters "Congregation" and have been having a great time with it! smile  G. Em, D, A. (I can actually kinda hear it. cool)
I've been trying to keep this a fun "hobby"...and I've only picked up the guitar when I want too. cool I think i like it that way. 
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by GenerationBMX (2015-11-03 5:58pm)

#27 2015-11-03 8:58pm

FourFiveOne
Bikes: 1
Website

Keep at it man, well done! coolcool

#28 2015-11-04 3:00am

tecnic1
Expert
Bikes: 7

Check out Rocksmith.

I don't know/don't care if I'm actually learning to play guitar, but I'm having a blast.

#29 2015-11-04 3:58am

holeshot
Bean Town's Finest
Bikes: 2

Detune them, smash them, stab them into your cab, whip them around, do your own thing, invent a new thing.
When I was a kid, I tried to play songs I liked, that was most helpful. Blessings on your journey!

Last edited by holeshot (2015-11-04 4:00am)

Raced NBL tracks in the 80's East Coast. Boston is home base. Wide ranging love for all things BMX. I have great memories and continue to make them. Faster than greased moose poop.

#30 2015-11-06 1:51pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Bikes: 4
Website

tecnic1 wrote:

Check out Rocksmith.

I don't know/don't care if I'm actually learning to play guitar, but I'm having a blast.

Me too.
Just remember to play outside of Rocksmith too. I sound decent playing Rocksmith, and not so great through the amp. The game masks a few things and makes you sound better. Which is nice as long as you realize the game is helping you out.

I like new school, it's all I ride.
I love to look at all BMX bikes, I just love the sport.

#31 2015-11-06 2:22pm

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

I cant play those games.... I find a real guitar much easier. lol

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#32 2015-11-06 3:53pm

rainmaker
Likes it Dirty

Johnnny wrote:

quoted for truth... tongue

#33 2015-11-09 8:42am

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Website

rainmaker wrote:

Johnnny wrote:

You do know Rocksmith you play your real guitar with the game, right? 1/4" hack to USB to connect to the console or PC and off you go. Assuming it has songs you like, it's fun, especially if you suck.

#34 2015-11-09 9:42pm

GenerationBMX
Mid-School Seat Hater

About two weeks in playing now...and having a great time. cool
Started playing Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and it's actually starting to sound like a song (using the term "song" loosely cool)
I'm still way too slow getting back to the C chord.
Fingertips have become mostly become numb and tingly feeling for the last 2 weeks. (Is this normal?)
Tuning is becoming easier.

I will try to check out Rocksmith at some point...

#35 2015-11-10 12:50am

Johnnny
Pro MemberI prefer Sockeye to be honest....
Bikes: 19
Website

oldmanjoe wrote:

rainmaker wrote:

Johnnny wrote:

You do know Rocksmith you play your real guitar with the game, right? 1/4" hack to USB to connect to the console or PC and off you go. Assuming it has songs you like, it's fun, especially if you suck.

I have everything I need in a room in my house and I hate playing other people's music for the most part.

Born again. Mom has a strong uterus.

#36 2015-11-10 7:44am

FourFiveOne
Bikes: 1
Website

GenerationBMX wrote:

About two weeks in playing now...and having a great time. cool
Started playing Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and it's actually starting to sound like a song (using the term "song" loosely cool)
I'm still way too slow getting back to the C chord.
Fingertips have become mostly become numb and tingly feeling for the last 2 weeks. (Is this normal?)
Tuning is becoming easier.

I will try to check out Rocksmith at some point...

Numb and tingly?  No.  That's not normal.  Finger callus are normal so you'll feel that padding on the finger tips but the tingly and numb is a sign
that your hand's circulation is getting bunged up and you're aggravating carpal tunnel or repetitive stress injury.

If you haven't got one of those old school grip strengthener gizmos lying around (they look like an "A" without the cross bar) then get yourself one of those or something like it.
Take a good 5-10 minutes to warm up your hands and forearms BEFORE playing anything.  John Petrucci's got a decent vid on YT somewhere of his stretching warmups.  May sound
anal and dumb to think of it like "lifting" but it's still a physical activity and repetitive stress injuries are real and a pain to deal with so go easy at first and then once you're warmed up
you can lay into whatever tunes you want.  Also helps to do some warm-down stretching of your hands/arms/fingers too.

And props for some Floyd, good stuff!

#37 2015-11-10 12:07pm

oldmanjoe
Museum Addict
Website

Johnnny wrote:

oldmanjoe wrote:

rainmaker wrote:

I have everything I need in a room in my house and I hate playing other people's music for the most part.

If only I could come  up with the inspiration to to play my own. I have little to no artistic tendencies or inspiration, but I always wanted to play. I keep hoping that something will click and I'll find something in my head that wants to get out. In the mean time, I'm just practicing my skills and taking in all that I can absorb.

Board footer