You are not logged in.

Do you ever see old schoolers riding BMX in your town??  RSS Feed

#51 2011-06-01 11:51am

nybble
Museum Addict
Bikes: 1

Re: Do you ever see old schoolers riding BMX in your town??

Locally, it's just me riding an OS bike to work a few times each year. wink
That's why I enjoy any BMX gatherings (ANYWHERE) and Philly ride when I can make it. smile

My stash.  Ride on. smile

#52 2011-06-01 2:33pm

abozny
Intermediate
Bikes: 2

Last year I rode my Redline MX-II to work. Then some guy wanted to sell me his Tange forks. Whatever !!!

This year I saw a Floval Flyer at work. It was light blue with dark brown forks and very nice.

I am an old guy but I ride only new school bikes. I hang out with other old new-schoolers and little kids. Old school bikes belong in the museum!!

Signature

#53 2011-06-01 2:45pm

starfield
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

I just moved back to my stomping grounds where I used to tool around on a green freestyler.(stolen)
Today I'm cruisin' on a red freestyler in the same city and not one os bmx/freestyle bike in the whole city.
I can say that when I go for a ride, I can hear voices while I'm pedaling past people:

"Dude look at that bike!"
"Check that out!"
"Yeah...that's not gonna be stolen!"

so I think the kids today recognize them as cool, but they all have new school.
makes me think chances of it getting stolen are greater today then back then!

#54 2011-06-01 5:24pm

jay brand
Pro MemberHomeless Bikes Nut
Website

No oldschoolers riding old bikes around here. Its old guys on new bikes. A few of us collect the older stuff but we keep them for shows and oldschool rides. The new technology and geometry are too nice to ignore if you want to air out or race. We have a bunch of new school riders that rip it up at the skateparks. It blows my mind to see 13 year olds blazing huge airs and variations like its nothing. I will bring an old bike to the park every once in awhile but its just for show, I still bring my new bike to ride on.

The devil said "Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back for sure"

#55 2011-06-01 5:28pm

thewhitelarrybird
Pro Member
Bikes: 23
For Sale: 2

all i really see around my house is bike thieves on old school bikes roll
all spray painted to shit, beat the hell up, and they never want to let them go.... the only way to get a bike from them is if a steal and bike and leave the other one he hind neutral

#56 2011-06-03 7:14pm

THE FUN PALACE
The Dawn Patrol
Bikes: 3
Website

I went riding today and seen a man that looked to be in his 50s-60s riding a silver, with gold accents, Big Ripper! First in my town!

MADE IN U.S.A.
[img]http://www.lemonrock.com/bandpics/picbandphoto25700_200267_purplecobraslogo2415.jpg[/img]
Thermal count is rising, In perpetual writhing. The primordial ooze, And the sanity they lose. Awakened in the morning, To more air pollution warnings. Still we sleepwalk off to work, While our nervous systems jerk. Pretending not to notice, How history had forebode us. With the green house in effect, Our environment was wrecked. Now, I can only laugh, As I read our epitaph. We end our lives as moles, In the dark of DAWN PATROL   
RUST IN PEACE

#57 2011-06-03 7:17pm

unkleyoda
Jedi
Bikes: 9
Website

Capt. Nemo wrote:

Not too many old schoolers riding, but you can bet everytime I ride by someone about my age on an OS rig or retro, they give it a double take.

It happened to me about 4 times yesterday. yikes

+1 I get comments all the time.

Wanted: Black/White pinstriped California Lite pad (only need frame pad)
               Schwinn white coaster brake mags (Redstone)

#58 2011-06-07 5:16pm

baron340
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 3

FU wrote:

dude! There used to be a killer jump/manhole cover jump behind goshen hall at WCU.
When I was wasn't chasing tail or poisoning my mind with psychedelics I used to ride that campus like the football team's ho.

However, the comment about cherrypickers and trickstars is right on.
I tell most old guys who stop me, buy a new bike. You'll be happier, if you wanna ride it hard.

Found that jump, it's still there.

Do not deal with Niagara Cycles, NY. 

Looking for AC 180mm drive side crank arm chrome.

#59 2011-06-07 5:58pm

rfcarnahan
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 1

i know of one person in my town thats os and rides his fst around seattle area, he owns a local shop that is mainly bmx racing and freestyle as well as OS bikes and parts. he is also a haro dude of course. i am currently working on a 87 sport survivor and cant wait to shred. pacific northwest is bmx and mtb country but i always see mtb's more than a bmx and never anybody kickin it oldschool.
we just need to start a national old guy freestylers club with state chapters.

my GT PFTT build thread!!!!
DG PINK> http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 2#p4187452   

want list....NOS haro hpf 2.0 black w/tan wall

HARO ZIPPO THREAD   http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 1#p4414941

#60 2011-06-07 6:54pm

akay47
Centurion Member
Bikes: 4

adamdawson wrote:

back then they were not old school bikes, they were new bikes. now the kids do the same thing.... on new bikes..... which is why you wont see anybody cruising around on old school bikes.  what do you expect?  to see some kid on the corner doing cheerypickers on a trickstar? lol

Be kinda cool if there was. Just ride!

Refuse to grow out of it.

#61 2011-06-07 7:20pm

lowrider
Pro MemberRiding On My 20
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 5

ive seen a couple guys on retro cruisers but never when im rideing... i know there are a bunch of collectors around but i dont see any out riding old school. the young kids are always looking and pointing, or asking "what kind of bike is that? can i ride it?" thats about it... hmm

#62 2011-06-07 7:45pm

muphasta
Pro Tester
Bikes: 7

I was on my way home w/the fam on Sunday when I saw a guy riding an old GT. He ended up turning into our condo complex. I parked the car and saw that he was at the end of our row. I walked down and started talking to him and it turns out he was riding a 1986 Pro Performer. He had some Diamond Back 3 piece cranks on it but said he had the OG ones in the garage. He said he bought it new.

Amateur vajazzler seeking clients

#63 2011-06-08 3:50am

hackettman
Museum Addict

thewhitelarrybird wrote:

all i really see around my house is bike thieves on old school bikes roll
all spray painted to shit, beat the hell up, and they never want to let them go.... the only way to get a bike from them is if a steal and bike and leave the other one he hind neutral

you should buy a wallgoose and use it as bait lolloltongue

Do Or Do Not There Is No Try

#64 2011-06-08 4:05am

jayoldmanbmx
"King of Scores"
Website

there is one guy who i spot from time to time in my hometown who rocks a early auburn  rear wheel is so taco that it has no brake pads on it  i have asked him numerous times to sell it to me he says no way he loves the bike it is his till he dies   but even in my hometown where numerous old school bikes have filtered out of here to some local  still never see anyone riding them    there is one kid who shreds a 91 g.t. interceptor  last spotted doing flares on it but it is kinda set up newer  never the less crhome   i do however see a few mid school classics kicking around town one kid has a real nice early clayborn trail bike  there is a standard bts a couple of early s&m floating around

KSTF = King Size Tripple Fat      remember change happens    & yes i keep some stuff    I SELL OLD BMX lol    FACEBOOK ME   JASON SOUZA ( i am the guy jumping a bmx bike  go figure)  VERY IMPORTANT!!    I DONT HAVE PAYPAL  I ONLY TAKE US POSTAL M.O. OR GOOD OLD CASH     LOOK FOR UPCOMING WEBSITE BLOG SOON

#65 2011-06-08 4:06am

poserbmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

yep same thing here,we have 2 tracks within 5 miles of me 1 indoor 1 outdoor,but all the kids ride new school bmx rigs around here.even on our bike trail all i ever see is next's,and wal-gooses!!!!and yes people always do a double take when i ride by em on my 81 GT PRO!!!!! they are probably thinkin where did that "old guy" steal that bike from!!!!

"old school all the way,or no school at all"

#66 2015-05-26 4:48pm

omniglow

SAME THING IN CONNECTICUT, I DON'T EVER SEE ANYONE RIDING AROUND.

#67 2015-05-26 5:41pm

RobS
Pro Member
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 7

Here in SJ I've run into quite a few people...big_smile even at the dirt jump track....

Good things wait for people that happen...

...fart a tight tummy, gimme fat and mushy

#68 2015-07-04 10:13pm

bmxatv10
Museum Newbie

I never see anyone riding bmx PERIOD where I am. Much less old school. I ride mostly mid-school 90's bikes but am still the only that I see in my area doing it. The same goes for the last couple of towns that I've lived in as well. I don't feel like I'm alone though, as I rode alone a lot most of my life so no worries. I just put my headphones in and blast! smile

1998 Trek Sub-Head
1993 Trek Jazz X-It
Hyper Bike Co. Metro - basement bucket build in progress

#69 2015-07-04 10:24pm

saskbmx
BMXer 4 Life

up here in regina.. you see nothing.. don't even see to many old skool anything except shit fixes or newer electra bicycles. only know one other guy in my town and he's here as well on the museum.

Board footer

View Cart →