You are not logged in.

95.00 for what?  RSS Feed

#26 2014-01-19 11:38am

hornzup
Pro Member
From: Boise, ID
Registered: 2012-04-23
Posts: 297
Bikes: 6

Re: 95.00 for what?

The Honda dealership here replaced all of my seat belts for free in my '92 accord when I took it in and said All seat belt have failed or are failing. No questions asked.  The drivers seat belt quit working in my '92 Land Cruiser.  When I called the Toyota dealer they quoted me over $400. I laughed and said Honda does there's for free.  He says, "Well that's Honda."  I found a pair of front belts on cars-parts for 80 shipped.


\m/

Offline

 

#27 2014-01-19 11:41am

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'
From: Havelock NC
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 31088

Re: 95.00 for what?

It's true,I'v seen many instances where the oil change monkies at stealerships who for get to put the oil filler cap back on,remove the old seal on the oil filter,replace the crush washer and this is a habit for alot of them,use a impact to tighten the drain bolt.

One of my friends who is a BMW tech told me one time how the new "oil change tech" forgot to put oil in the engine after doing the oil change.Rest assured the dealership paid for a new engine on that one.


Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

Offline

 

#28 2014-01-19 11:44am

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
From: Cleveland, OH
Registered: 2007-03-24
Posts: 4692
For Sale: 20

Re: 95.00 for what?

So, if you don't think a factory trained auto tech can handle changing oil, what can they do?


unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

Offline

 

#29 2014-01-19 11:53am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo
From: NE Florida
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 4847

Re: 95.00 for what?

There are some dealerships that just give a sh1t on how they do things, even if they lose customers.

A couple of years ago, the wife and I were on the market for a new car. The one we saw that had what we wanted was an hour and 45 minutes away. So we double checked through email that it was black, had a/c, and was a 5spd. We get to the dealership and the car that "had" what we wanted was waiting for us. But it did not have a/c installed. They said that it was an add on option that was going to cost us another $1200 on top of what we were quoted through email. Talked to the manager. Showed him the email. And he says with a smug look "Well...that was a mistake. Do you want the car or not?" My response was "Can we work out a deal then seeing that we were misquoted and we drove all this way to buy the car from you?" The a-hole turns away and says "No."

So the wife and I go next door to another dealer, tell them what just happened, and they end up giving us a better car at a better price.

Offline

 

#30 2014-01-19 11:57am

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'
From: Havelock NC
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 31088

Re: 95.00 for what?

vintage chromoly wrote:

So, if you don't think a factory trained auto tech can handle changing oil, what can they do?

I don't know the situation where you live,but in my part of the woods,the people that do oil changes for dealerships are the kids fresh out of tech school,they are not allowed to do anything else but oil changes.You will not see a red seal technician doing oil changes at dealerships.These kids are not even apprentices,they are hired by the dealer,do oil changes for a few years making just above minimum wage,assesed down the road and then determined if they are worthy of a apprenticeship.


Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

Offline

 

#31 2014-01-19 12:06pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
From: Cleveland, OH
Registered: 2007-03-24
Posts: 4692
For Sale: 20

Re: 95.00 for what?

spyker wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

So, if you don't think a factory trained auto tech can handle changing oil, what can they do?

I don't know the situation where you live,but in my part of the woods,the people that do oil changes for dealerships are the kids fresh out of tech school,they are not allowed to do anything else but oil changes.You will not see a red seal technician doing oil changes at dealerships.These kids are not even apprentices,they are hired by the dealer,do oil changes for a few years making just above minimum wage,assesed down the road and then determined if they are worthy of a apprenticeship.

Do they pay their fair share of taxes?


unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

Offline

 

#32 2014-01-19 12:18pm

spyker
Pro MemberpiMp sLaPpA'
From: Havelock NC
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 31088

Re: 95.00 for what?

vintage chromoly wrote:

spyker wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

So, if you don't think a factory trained auto tech can handle changing oil, what can they do?

I don't know the situation where you live,but in my part of the woods,the people that do oil changes for dealerships are the kids fresh out of tech school,they are not allowed to do anything else but oil changes.You will not see a red seal technician doing oil changes at dealerships.These kids are not even apprentices,they are hired by the dealer,do oil changes for a few years making just above minimum wage,assesed down the road and then determined if they are worthy of a apprenticeship.

Do they pay their fair share of taxes?

Are the big time players in the OS game still refuse to sell to you?


Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

Offline

 

#33 2014-01-19 12:21pm

vintage chromoly
Pro Member
From: Cleveland, OH
Registered: 2007-03-24
Posts: 4692
For Sale: 20

Re: 95.00 for what?

spyker wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

spyker wrote:


I don't know the situation where you live,but in my part of the woods,the people that do oil changes for dealerships are the kids fresh out of tech school,they are not allowed to do anything else but oil changes.You will not see a red seal technician doing oil changes at dealerships.These kids are not even apprentices,they are hired by the dealer,do oil changes for a few years making just above minimum wage,assesed down the road and then determined if they are worthy of a apprenticeship.

Do they pay their fair share of taxes?

Are the big time players in the OS game still refuse to sell to you?

lol name these big players already! lol


unions.... the folks who brought you the weekend!
Your - belongs to you....You're - You are /Its - Belongs to it....It's - It is / Brake - Slows your car....Break - Falls apart
There - Not here....Their - Not yours....They're - they are
Here - Not there....Hear - To perceive sound
Lose - To not win....Loose - Not tight
Sale - this is FOR SALE....Sell - Going to get rid of
Since - From then till now... Scents - Smells..... Sense - Conscious awareness....Cents - pennies

Offline

 

#34 2014-01-19 1:04pm

jumpin jim
Pro Member
From: Shelby Twp, MI
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 4447
Bikes: 3

Re: 95.00 for what?

spyker wrote:

You would be considered extremely lucky to get your car back from a oil change from the dealer in 45 minutes.In my area,it's a minimum 2 hour waste of time.

Make an appointment.

Offline

 

#35 2014-01-19 5:42pm

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo
From: NE Florida
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 4847

Re: 95.00 for what?

jumpin jim wrote:

spyker wrote:

You would be considered extremely lucky to get your car back from a oil change from the dealer in 45 minutes.In my area,it's a minimum 2 hour waste of time.

Make an appointment.

The last two times I had an appt. I waited over an hour easy. When I did a walk-in, it was the same. Appointments don't mean jack at the dealership that I went to.

Offline

 

#36 2014-01-19 7:22pm

jumpin jim
Pro Member
From: Shelby Twp, MI
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 4447
Bikes: 3

Re: 95.00 for what?

JPinFL wrote:

jumpin jim wrote:

spyker wrote:

You would be considered extremely lucky to get your car back from a oil change from the dealer in 45 minutes.In my area,it's a minimum 2 hour waste of time.

Make an appointment.

The last two times I had an appt. I waited over an hour easy. When I did a walk-in, it was the same. Appointments don't mean jack at the dealership that I went to.

Then go climb in the showroom Viper and start messin with -hit!lol

Offline

 

#37 2014-01-19 8:05pm

moshnmore
Pro Memberspent all my $$$
From: Milwaukee, WI
Registered: 2009-02-21
Posts: 3042
Bikes: 4

Re: 95.00 for what?

I had a 5 hour oil change once. Was wondering what was taking so long. Tech comes out and said  someone stripped the drain bolt (they were screwing around for a good hour before even telling me) then they proceeded to say either me or my dad stripped the bolt. Which is impossible since I had only that dealership change my oil. Then they spent most of the day trying to hunt down a new bolt. They even charged for the change.

Offline

 

#38 2014-01-19 8:28pm

skywaychump
Pro MemberA.K.A. Changachump
From: Tyngsboro, MA
Registered: 2009-03-30
Posts: 4815
Bikes: 4

Re: 95.00 for what?

Makes me want to go find a '78 Chevy Nova or Buick Skylark, dump all the money I would have spent into making it super nice.


[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/27489/ta5964a92927.jpg[/img]
A lie goes around the world in the morning while the truth is still putting it's pants on.
"Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free." - Red
"So shines a good deed in a weary world."
"We're all gonna die, but right now we're not dead." -Joe Rogan

Offline

 

#39 2014-01-20 2:08am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo
From: NE Florida
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 4847

Re: 95.00 for what?

jumpin jim wrote:

JPinFL wrote:

jumpin jim wrote:


Make an appointment.

The last two times I had an appt. I waited over an hour easy. When I did a walk-in, it was the same. Appointments don't mean jack at the dealership that I went to.

Then go climb in the showroom Viper and start messin with -hit!lol

I have thought about that but then they would be all "Take your time on the blue Corolla. Dumb fvck is looking at cars." lol

Offline

 

#40 2014-01-20 2:10am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo
From: NE Florida
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 4847

Re: 95.00 for what?

moshnmore wrote:

I had a 5 hour oil change once. Was wondering what was taking so long. Tech comes out and said  someone stripped the drain bolt (they were screwing around for a good hour before even telling me) then they proceeded to say either me or my dad stripped the bolt. Which is impossible since I had only that dealership change my oil. Then they spent most of the day trying to hunt down a new bolt. They even charged for the change.

That sucks. I've heard that this happens many times.
What did the bolt cost? $15-20?

Offline

 

#41 2014-01-20 2:13am

JPinFL
Juan Pablo Diablo
From: NE Florida
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 4847

Re: 95.00 for what?

changachump wrote:

Makes me want to go find a '78 Chevy Nova or Buick Skylark, dump all the money I would have spent into making it super nice.

Yup. I've thought of picking up a couple of old VWs. Had a couple 20 yrs ago. But summers in FL without a/c is brutal.

Offline

 

#42 2014-01-20 4:02am

moshnmore
Pro Memberspent all my $$$
From: Milwaukee, WI
Registered: 2009-02-21
Posts: 3042
Bikes: 4

Re: 95.00 for what?

I think the bolt was free, but the change was still billed. They almost couldnt find a bolt. I was ready to take one of their new cars home & drive like i stole it

Offline

 

#43 2014-01-20 4:20am

jumpin jim
Pro Member
From: Shelby Twp, MI
Registered: 2009-01-27
Posts: 4447
Bikes: 3

Re: 95.00 for what?

moshnmore wrote:

I had a 5 hour oil change once. Was wondering what was taking so long. Tech comes out and said  someone stripped the drain bolt (they were screwing around for a good hour before even telling me) then they proceeded to say either me or my dad stripped the bolt. Which is impossible since I had only that dealership change my oil. Then they spent most of the day trying to hunt down a new bolt. They even charged for the change.

Had an Uncle Ed's do that once. Problem is they stripped the pan half coupling. I had to use Teflon Tape for a few years till I traded it in.

Offline

 

#44 2014-01-20 6:58am

Ralph Wiggum
Pro Memberchillywilly263 1%er
From: Ohio
Registered: 2006-11-11
Posts: 9660
Bikes: 15
For Sale: 2

Re: 95.00 for what?

spyker wrote:

vintage chromoly wrote:

Cars...... The biggest necessary evil known to man.

Maintaining Automobiles can get pricey. When a person is mechanically challenged, it gets worse.

Technology can add expense as exemplified by the 95 dollar valve stem with the electronic psi sensor.

I tried to have a spare ignition key made for my 2008 chevy work van and it's a "dealership only" item with a cost of over 100 bucks due to some kind of proximity sensor built into the key.

The proximity sensors on those GM keys are all the same for that make and model.All you would need is a key from another truck,tape/glue the key close to the ignition.

The same goes for Dodges and Fords.

You do realize the keys still need programmed to the vehicle don't you?


I’m not a real doctor but I am a real worm

Offline

 

#45 2014-01-20 12:02pm

pcmcobra
Post Restriction
From: Flo-rida
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 645
Bikes: 4

Re: 95.00 for what?

doeboy211 wrote:

BMW just told my mother she needed to pay $250 for a new key. I found a Youtube video on how to replace the battery and did it for $7. roll

They pretty much said the same thing to my mom on her vette.
Went down to walgreens, put new batteries in each key fob, BAM.


A village in Kenya is missing an idiot

Offline

 

#46 2014-01-20 1:16pm

ripperblue
Pro Member
From: Paducah, KY
Registered: 2008-11-11
Posts: 417
Bikes: 1

Re: 95.00 for what?

I work in sales at a dealership and I can't stand how the service department works.  The mechanics are great but the way the manager runs the place is bad.  I get my oil changed at another shop.  I have gotten a bill before for a oil change, which was fine, with air filter and light bulbs added.  I did not ask for it and their answer was you needed it so we went ahead and did it.  The guy I use for my personal car will call me and tell me what's up before he touches a thing.

When a customer of mine has a problem I search the internet first for tips before sending them to the service dept. 

Always ask price first and make sure to get it in writing.  The John Deere store here will give free labor if you are not quoted the price before they preform any work.

Offline

 

#47 2014-02-10 9:19pm

Th3GuyWithTheRustedFrame
Hoonigan
From: west side Connecticut
Registered: 2013-12-16
Posts: 257
Bikes: 4

Re: 95.00 for what?

I understand the nonsence about dealerships charging an arm a leg and sometimes a left nut to change your oil, then strip the bolt bla bla bla... honestly I can't even imagine someone else touching something I can do myself! but thats probaly just because I grew up enjoying doing it myself... but I can understand having to get the computer flashed for a larger TB or fuel injectors, turbo ect. or needing a new air pressure sensor (the $95 your complaining about lol )... its just part of wanting the newer and better things! If you dont like it RIDE A BIKE lollol

Offline

 

#48 2014-02-11 2:10am

Oldschoolgoods
Pro MemberBmxRider420
From: WNY
Registered: 2012-03-26
Posts: 1796
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 1

Re: 95.00 for what?

lollollollollollollollollollollollollol


I'm not on here as much lately. If I miss your PM or you are responding to a WTB please text me at 716-545-5499. I usually won’t answer unknown numbers with out a text first.

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →