You are not logged in.

can't cure stupid, but sure hope I can find a work around.  RSS Feed

#26 2013-06-20 11:29am

alainmagana
In Wonderland
Bikes: 1

Re: can't cure stupid, but sure hope I can find a work around.

Just ride it man, custom paint wink

Knowing is half the battle, GO JOE!
44T BMX CHICAGO CLUB RIDER
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity
WTB: SuperBmx Febury 1984

#27 2013-06-20 11:31am

tsmorg1977
Bikes: 3
Website

xtremevert wrote:

tsmorg1977 wrote:

Extra protection. You always want a couple coats of clear on there. Helps with chipping and scratches.
Strip, sand, etch, prime, sand, prime, sand, base coat, base coat, wet sand, top coat,  decals, clear, clear, light wet sand, clear,  done

dude, that's a lot of work for bike that hardly get ridden!  lol

I'm bringing my child hood bike back to life with my 9 year old daughter so that she can enjoy it as much as I did. The bike will be ridden a lot.

We're all mature until someone pulls out the bubble wrap!!!!!! Then again were a bunch of grown adults playing with kids bikes.... :>)

#28 2013-06-20 11:37am

SoGnarly
Expert

Breeze429 wrote:

Thats the paint reacting with the clear, it's a chemical thing not humidity. If you mixing brands it could be a problem, or if you're mixing spray bomb with automotive clear, causing it to lift. Intercoat clear helps with sealing the paint before clear, or using a little of the paints basemaker in the clear.

+1

I heard cloudiness "can" go away over time, but what you have is a chemical reaction between two brands/types of paint.  It sounds like you have the right idea for a solid paint job (prime/base/clear) you just used the wrong paints.  that happened to me once painting a fuel tank on a bike.  The matching base coat was one brand and I had some other brand clear laying around.  Turned m\the paint job into a crackled mess.

Nothing to do but strip.  The base/top coat is ruined.

WTB - Blk/wht Checker Seat Cover

#29 2013-06-20 11:48am

DelMccoury
Shrimp Counter

tsmorg1977 wrote:

Extra protection. You always want a couple coats of clear on there. Helps with chipping and scratches.
Strip, sand, etch, prime, sand, prime, sand, base coat, base coat, wet sand, top coat,  decals, clear, clear, light wet sand, clear,  done

ridiculous

: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :: : : NEEDED : : :
GREEN 85 SKYWAY STREET BEAT frame set. original paint and decals please.
: : : WANTED: : :: : : WANTED: : :: : : WANTED : : :: : : WANTED : : :: : : WANTED : : :
DynaMAX seats in RED, YELLOW AND BLUE

#30 2013-06-20 11:52am

tsmorg1977
Bikes: 3
Website

SoGnarly wrote:

Breeze429 wrote:

Thats the paint reacting with the clear, it's a chemical thing not humidity. If you mixing brands it could be a problem, or if you're mixing spray bomb with automotive clear, causing it to lift. Intercoat clear helps with sealing the paint before clear, or using a little of the paints basemaker in the clear.

+1

I heard cloudiness "can" go away over time, but what you have is a chemical reaction between two brands/types of paint.  It sounds like you have the right idea for a solid paint job (prime/base/clear) you just used the wrong paints.  that happened to me once painting a fuel tank on a bike.  The matching base coat was one brand and I had some other brand clear laying around.  Turned m\the paint job into a crackled mess.

Nothing to do but strip.  The base/top coat is ruined.

No all same brand of paint. Did my research before I started so did not mix brands as I heard of that happening before. I think the problem was the bike had been drying in the basement where it was about 65 and I took it straight outside andstarted clearing when it was like 85. I never let the metal get to temperature.

We're all mature until someone pulls out the bubble wrap!!!!!! Then again were a bunch of grown adults playing with kids bikes.... :>)

#31 2013-06-21 6:54am

SoGnarly
Expert

DelMccoury wrote:

tsmorg1977 wrote:

ridiculous

How so?

That's the difference between a good paint job and a spray bomb.

#32 2013-06-21 7:14am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member“The Hammer”
Bikes: 86
For Sale: 3
Website

Clear coating over decals is so annoying hmm

kurt_rad for mod 2020

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

#33 2013-06-21 10:04am

tomknox
Museum Addict

Strip, sand, etch, prime, sand, prime, sand, base coat, base coat, wet sand, top coat,  decals, clear, clear, light wet sand, clear

This statement shows you need to do a little more research about how automotive paint process goes. Number one too many steps, number two way too much material, number three, never, ever wetsand your base roll unless you are wetsanding out nibs/bugs and plan to lay down more base...

usually goes more like this, sand/strip, CLEAN, primer, wetsand, CLEAN, base coat, MAYBE CLEAN AGAIN, clear, wetsand, buff. You need to use tack rags and precleaner throughout the whole process. No mix matching brands unless you like having disasters wink Never, ever clear coat over decals, clears have major solvents considering the hardner and such, thin flimsy plastic tape with ink does not like clear coat. Can you get away with it, yes, is that the wrong way to do things, yes. You gonna wetsand over the decals that are uneven compared to the paint surface then buff over them too lol

#34 2013-06-21 10:49am

Breeze429

Motorcycles have decals cleared over, just sayin...

#35 2013-06-21 11:21am

dedmann
"is Air-Cooled"
Bikes: 10

1. lots of factory bikes get clear over decals
2. his method of painting is a great way to make spraycan look proper - he didnt even mention rubbing compound/wax as last step
3. humidity is definitely a problem- as it wont let the solvents "vape" out (also low temp will "vape" slow- then taking it out into the sun will really lets it out)

i think there is a lot of know it alls going on in here. we arent talking about a production style, earl shieb wham bam- we are talking about a D.I.Y. guy getting pro results. dont bash the fella for putting out more effort than you would. wink

PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

#36 2013-06-21 11:22am

SoGnarly
Expert

Alot of bicycle come from the factory with clear over decals.  Just ask the hipsters trying to peel them off for fixie projects.  lol  It's probably something I wouldn't do, but if he wants to do it for extra protection there's no harm in that.  It's his bike at the end of the day. 

If he got some dust or orange peel there's absolutely no harm in sanding a color coat.

#37 2013-06-21 8:40pm

tomknox
Museum Addict

Correct they do clear over vinyl decals all the time, trust me i see them and fix them in the shop years later yikes Just because you can do it doesnt mean you should, i could shoot myself in the foot and probably live, doesnt mean i want to give it a try lol

#38 2013-06-21 8:59pm

tomknox
Museum Addict

no harm in sanding a color coat.

"Color sand" a one stage paint  yea maybe, "color sand" your clear (which is not color btw) for a professional finish, yea for sure. That term "color sanding" is used loosely but basically means wet sanding. The term is usually used by customers who has zero clue about what they are talkng about, but think they know because they read an article before coming into the shop lol When spraying 2 stage you never sand base unless you have "trash" in it, then you spray more base over that area. With metallics certainly you would never want to hit it with sand paper period, hell metallics arent even supposed to be wipped with precleaner because it leaves swirls. Dont do tape outs over metallics without clearing or at the very least intercoat clear. A lot of misuse and bogus facts about painting out there, lotta joe blows in the backyard misleading folks. When in doubt, read the user manuals, then burn em cause they are full of shiii too lol lol

#39 2013-06-21 10:31pm

dedmann
"is Air-Cooled"
Bikes: 10

1 for go and 2 for show lol

PLEASE RESPECT CHAT OR I"LL BOOT YA WITH A WARNING!
varokaa tyhmät ympärilläsi - tai tullut yksi[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/meditationf.gif[/img]
"There are very few accomplishments of any value that can be gained without practice, and that which takes the least time to learn is usually the least valuable when learned."                               -The Eagle Bicycle Co. catalog 1890-
                                          ? WANTED: S&M IronMan sprocket flawless or nos ?

#40 2013-06-22 8:39am

tomknox
Museum Addict

1 for go and 2 for show

Amen brother wink

Board footer

View Cart →