You are not logged in.

Do I restore to Factory spec or My spec?  RSS Feed

#1 2012-02-06 9:37am

ddibbern
Bikes: 11

Do I restore to Factory spec or My spec?

Hey all, this is a great place.  I am a noob here and did bikes a long time ago, and am now doing them with my kids.  So I am restoring a Schwinn Mag Scrambler for my son.  I cant decide if I should restore it to factory spec, or my personal spec. When I had it as a kid, Ibought all the parts over a 14 month period, including the frame at a Schwinn Dealer in Des Plaines, Ill ( Bade Bike Shop R.I.P.)

So, I had a black frame, blue Tuff II's Blue TUff Nech, Tange TX500 A forks, Ashtabula crank with a 2 pc sprocket, and a crappy seat off a varsity.

I have the ability to go either way, and my son like the pics of my bike from back in the day, but am I doing a injustice by building it my way, even though it was all time period correct?  I am leaning to doing it my personal early 80's spec, what do you think ?

Dave-

The 70's... We had no knee pads, no over protective soccer moms, no mini vans, if you messed up it was actually your own fault, and we rocked out to 8 tracks, cassettes and vinyl.  THAT'S HOW WE ROLLED!

#2 2012-02-06 9:42am

83dback
LUDE
Bikes: 12

Re: Do I restore to Factory spec or My spec?

cool do it your way. no injustice at all. you will have fun reliving those memories....especially with your son wink it's your bike. do it your way. and welcome!!!

Last edited by 83dback (2012-02-06 9:43am)

Today is yesterday's tomorrow.  D€4L

#3 2012-02-06 9:43am

KuWa FS
Pro MemberKuwahara Freestyler
Bikes: 7

build it how you like it.  Dont worry about making everyone else happy.

Well if you still don't believe you best get up and leave
Do what you must do, but this ain't the place for you

Kuwahara, its the best!!

When I'm dead, i'll stop riding bikes.

#4 2012-02-06 10:42am

kod38
Bikes: 8

Well, I personally do any bike the way I want it. BMX bikes were always about changing it up and making yours different from the next guy when I grew up.
Just do what is gonna give you the most satisfaction and fun.
Nothing wrong with a stock restore, and there are some amazing ones here. I just prefer old school color and aftermarket stuff.
Good luck and please share your pictures.

Cruise Portland with BMXPDX on FB. We ride every 3rd Sat each month.

#5 2012-02-06 11:15am

jayjoaquin
Banned
Bikes: 3

I agree, Do it the way you want to its your bike...

#6 2012-02-06 12:28pm

ddibbern

Well I am picking the frame up today or tomorrow.  I have been reading about the "survivor" bikes, but I found an auto body shop that will shoot a frame, and primer it for $20 when they shoot a car the same color, so I sanded it and got it there this weekend.  I am gonna do it the way I had it back int he day, thanks for all the response !

The 70's... We had no knee pads, no over protective soccer moms, no mini vans, if you messed up it was actually your own fault, and we rocked out to 8 tracks, cassettes and vinyl.  THAT'S HOW WE ROLLED!

#7 2012-02-06 12:51pm

arizonalouie
Pro Member
Bikes: 16

Your way is the right way whether it be the way you had it or factory spec. I like the idea of reliving your childhood making it the way you had it.
Most of all have fun.cool

Be good to eachother!!

#8 2012-02-06 2:03pm

punkbmxer
Intermediate

realy if people are gona b unhappy then they are butt muntchers because and old schwinn mag scrabler if hard to find now and days and parts for it will be hard to find, i my self think of bikes like music you can express your self in music and with a bike. fix it the way you want man. i think its great that you have a son tht can learn about how the bikes back in the day were made a whole lot different then what they are now alot of kids dont get that back round on true old school bikes, i look up to you man for doing this its an awsome experints, i never realy hade this befour, untill a few years ago and since thin a have owned 2 fast back and about 6 or 7 schwinn stingray jr's and i still have a jr. soory for my english man im not realy good with speeling. i hope this helps

/The Rev foREVer\

#9 2012-02-07 11:10am

when i was a kid we used to make our bikes as individual as we could , first job throw away reflectors chainguard, buy stickers, race plate then for your birthday/ crimbo get more expensive bits i think this is what made bmx what it is do it your way its about being different

NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW!!

#10 2012-02-07 2:46pm

punkbmxer
Intermediate

1975 wrote:

when i was a kid we used to make our bikes as individual as we could , first job throw away reflectors chainguard, buy stickers, race plate then for your birthday/ crimbo get more expensive bits i think this is what made bmx what it is do it your way its about being different

+1 that is right man

/The Rev foREVer\

#11 2012-02-10 11:59am

ddibbern

So can I post a pic in this thread of my project?  I just got the frame back.

#12 2012-02-10 12:09pm

general hustler
"GHramps"
Bikes: 12
Website

If it's not a $ issue, get the parts to do it both ways.
-- Oops, that sounded dirty.

This just in: Drinking water supply has been compromised. Symptoms include acting irrational and disrespectful when discussing race, religion, and politics. Many impacted.

--------------------------------
NOW YOU FUNNY TOO
--------------------------------

#13 2012-02-10 2:54pm

punkbmxer
Intermediate

ddibbern wrote:

So can I post a pic in this thread of my project?  I just got the frame back.

yes you can here is a how to on posting pics on here. http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=321443

/The Rev foREVer\

#14 2012-02-10 5:06pm

cmb
Pro MemberTexan by birth, Scottish by drink
Bikes: 8

That is the beauty of building a bike- you can do it however you want.  Another great thing is that you can own more than one bike.  So, you could have a custom, a survivor, a rider, and a carpet queen if you desire to have those.  I agree with others.  I was always trying to things to earn money to replace parts that I either broke or just wanted because that's what I saw in BMX Action or Bmx Plus.

Just your typical Aggie Hutch owner. Gig'em.

Never trust a man that doesn't know what beer tastes like or wears more than two rings.

I usually edit for my grammar mistakes.

#15 2012-02-10 5:19pm

djhoudini
TURBO
Bikes: 5

I FIND ITS FUN DOING IT YOUR WAY...CHECK MY 92 MASTER. IT WAS A BLAST TO BUILD BECAUSE I HAD NO BOUNDARIES....AT THE SAME TIME. MY OTHER BIKE (DB HLT) IS FACTORY SPEC'D AND OG. DO AS YOU LIKE!

Last edited by djhoudini (2012-02-10 5:22pm)

#16 2012-02-11 11:27am

ddibbern

OK, so here goes.. i got the frame back, added the Tange TX500 A forks, the original SCHWINN head tube name plate, the an original sprocket and chrome Ashtabula crank , chrome ashtabula neck, and head tube bearing cups. If I get me ripper frame the Tange forks are going on that and the ashtabulas are going back on this.  This is my first shot at a pic here.

So I posted this pic on facebook, and I guy I went to high school with got ahold of me and said he had my frame in his parents garage from when we were kids.  i sold it to another kid when I got my ripper, and he sold it to the guy I went to high school with.  small world so I am trying to buy it back now, if so that would be sooo cool!  If anyone has any info on a brown ripper frame outta Des Plaines,Il with a re welded seat post clamp i would love the info!

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u408/ddibbern/ScramblerRebuild1.jpg

Board footer

View Cart →