You are not logged in.

A BLUE-BLUE, BLUE SUEDE SEAT

#1 2010-06-02 6:04am

hiddenwires
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2010-02-24
Bikes: 8

A BLUE-BLUE, BLUE SUEDE SEAT

Sorry, I couldn't help doing the title in an Elvis stylee.

Anyhoo, after trying to unsuccessfully rescue my Kashi DB seat from some heavy scratches I made the decision to cover it.
I got me some spray glue and some nice blue faux suede and got stuck into it this afternoon.

All I have left to do are the decal, maybe silver "Diamond Back" on each side instead of gold.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/hwires/Blue%20Suede%20Seat/DSCF6151.jpg
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/hwires/Blue%20Suede%20Seat/DSCF6153.jpg
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/hwires/Blue%20Suede%20Seat/DSCF6154.jpg
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/hwires/Blue%20Suede%20Seat/DSCF6155.jpg
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/hwires/Blue%20Suede%20Seat/DSCF6157.jpg
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/hwires/Blue%20Suede%20Seat/DSCF6158.jpg

Comments welcome

#2 2010-06-03 8:58am

00_Duck
Pro Member
Signed up: 2006-07-07
Bikes: 27

Re: A BLUE-BLUE, BLUE SUEDE SEAT

Nice job!

What have I become, my sweetest friend? Everyone, I know goes away in the end.  ~ NIN Hurt

#3 2010-06-03 10:43am

D...Nice
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-01-22
Bikes: 14

Looks great! Except the seat guts are in backwards . . .

Last edited by D...Nice (2010-06-03 4:54pm)

> > > Wanted List: MX-60 rims ~  ECKO Helmet - Large ~ Black Schwinn Banana Seat ~ Front 24" Skyway Tuff wheel White or Yellow ~ Patterson Decals ~ Sealed Sunshine Hubs < < <

#4 2010-06-03 10:44am

nycet3
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-02-12
For Sale: 1

That looks very good. I think I'm going to try that.

Did you draw a pattern out of paper first, or did you just eyeball the piece of suede?
Also, any problems with getting the underside edges of the suede to adhere to the seat? Did you rough up the surface of the underside of the seat for added surface area?

Thanks. That's very cool. Might try real suede. Joe

"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

#5 2010-06-03 12:48pm

argiris
Centurion Member
Signed up: 2007-10-22
Bikes: 5

Very nice idea!!

#6 2010-06-03 5:42pm

hiddenwires
Centurion Member

I put the seat guts in the way you see in the pix so that the seat would sit up and to show off the little bit of effort I put in on the buffing wheel.

Step 1 - I cut a rough square of suede first just so that I could manage it easily
Step 2 - Laid the seat down on the square, rolled it on its side and roughly trimmed around it before rolling it the other way and doing the same.
Step 3 - I used 120 grit paper to not only rough up the seat to give the glue a key but on many seats the sides are glossy and there is a defined hard line in the plastic where the glossy starts and I didn't want it to show in the suede
Step 4 - I roughed up about 15 mm of the inside return edge of the seat
Step 5 - Gave the seat a nice hot wash in the dishwasher on 65 deg. Dried it and sprayed the glue on while the plastic was warm. Then sprayed the suede being careful not too soak (too much and it will soak through and wreck the suede
Step 6 - Laid seat on suede and flipped over, taking care to smooth suede out over the seat (TOP TIP! Cut a spare piece of suede and wrap it around the hand that your using to do the smoothing down with)
Step 7 - Once the suede is stuck to most of the seat you can then trim off a little more of the excess suede. Spray a little more glue around the inner edges and start folding the remaining suede inside
Step 8 - Leave for about 10 mins for the glue to take hold then with a sharp knife, trip neatly the inside edge.
Step 9 - THANK ME

#7 2010-06-03 5:45pm

hiddenwires
Centurion Member

I had the option of using real suede but its wrecked if it gets wet and this micro suede is tougher.

#8 2010-06-03 7:50pm

nycet3
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-02-12
For Sale: 1

Thank You.
Definitely going to try that.

hiddenwires wrote:

I put the seat guts in the way you see in the pix so that the seat would sit up and to show off the little bit of effort I put in on the buffing wheel.

Step 1 - I cut a rough square of suede first just so that I could manage it easily
Step 2 - Laid the seat down on the square, rolled it on its side and roughly trimmed around it before rolling it the other way and doing the same.
Step 3 - I used 120 grit paper to not only rough up the seat to give the glue a key but on many seats the sides are glossy and there is a defined hard line in the plastic where the glossy starts and I didn't want it to show in the suede
Step 4 - I roughed up about 15 mm of the inside return edge of the seat
Step 5 - Gave the seat a nice hot wash in the dishwasher on 65 deg. Dried it and sprayed the glue on while the plastic was warm. Then sprayed the suede being careful not too soak (too much and it will soak through and wreck the suede
Step 6 - Laid seat on suede and flipped over, taking care to smooth suede out over the seat (TOP TIP! Cut a spare piece of suede and wrap it around the hand that your using to do the smoothing down with)
Step 7 - Once the suede is stuck to most of the seat you can then trim off a little more of the excess suede. Spray a little more glue around the inner edges and start folding the remaining suede inside
Step 8 - Leave for about 10 mins for the glue to take hold then with a sharp knife, trip neatly the inside edge.
Step 9 - THANK ME

"Ride it like you're riding after the dude who stole it."

Looking for a USA-made pre 1981 Redline MXII f/f with original black paint and decals.

#9 2010-06-03 8:11pm

PlanetX
Expert
Signed up: 2007-08-13
Bikes: 47
Website

ow did you get the rails out and back in? I've got a Kashimax MX with one rail popped out and can't for the life of me get it back in.

Bikes owned 1978-1989: '78 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36, '78 Redline Proline, '77 Redline MX-II, '79 Thruster, '79 Torker, '77 Roger DeCoster, '80 JMC, '80 Fuji Feather, '81 Boss (STOLEN!), '82 Hutch Pro, '82 Patterson, '83 GT Pro, '83 Profile Champ Pro

#10 2010-06-03 10:43pm

wired
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-06-14
Bikes: 56
For Sale: 19
Website

So COOL!  I've got a ton of seats that will be getting this treatment.  I actually remember doing a yellow Uni seat like this back in the 80's but it was with some plain black material.  I really like the faux suede.  If you end up adding a decal please share how you pull that off too.

Step 9: Thank You! big_smile

#11 2010-06-03 11:18pm

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Signed up: 2008-07-16
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 13
Website

PlanetX wrote:

ow did you get the rails out and back in? I've got a Kashimax MX with one rail popped out and can't for the life of me get it back in.

Very nice job on the saddle, and thanks for the detailed instructions.

How did you get the rails in/out of the shell?
Are rails snug or do they have any play/movement?

I have seen saddles before that have had the rails come out but the
rails are always loose upon re-inserting them. Probably from the stress of crashing.

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#12 2010-06-04 5:24am

hiddenwires
Centurion Member

Rails are solid. To get them out I kept squeezing them together a little and at the same time squirting some lube around the area they enter the plastic.
I then placed the seat upside down on the floor with the pointed end against my knee and my other heel in the back of the seat, causing it to spread a little and then pulled and squeezed the rails up and out they popped.
I will post pics of decal fitting soon

#13 2010-06-04 7:54am

stonie
Pro MemberThe Museum Therapist
Signed up: 2008-07-16
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 13
Website

hiddenwires wrote:

Rails are solid. To get them out I kept squeezing them together a little and at the same time squirting some lube around the area they enter the plastic.
I then placed the seat upside down on the floor with the pointed end against my knee and my other heel in the back of the seat, causing it to spread a little and then pulled and squeezed the rails up and out they popped.
I will post pics of decal fitting soon

Are rails snug or do they have any play/movement?

Gnarly is when it's beyond radical, it's balls out danger, & or perfection, & or skill or all of that combined. Nobody can shred like that guy, he's gnarly.                                        \m/  ( º . º )  \m/

#14 2010-06-04 8:39am

hiddenwires
Centurion Member

no they were real tough to get back in but they are still snug

#15 2010-06-05 9:54am

wyopitboss
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2010-05-02
Bikes: 3

i do these all the time and you can also use a dense 1/8 or 1/4 landau top foam for a little cushion , but you have to sacrifice the holes in the seat. and you can also use 1/8 staples to hold the cover on , just shoot them in at a angle so the staple wont go through the other side. then color the staples with a sharpie to match the color. any upholstery shop should be able to help. good post, good job.

Last edited by wyopitboss (2010-06-05 9:56am)

RED DRAGONS

#16 2010-06-05 3:38pm

2dr_sedan
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2007-07-13
Bikes: 88
Website

Nice rehab of a wrecked seat! smile

Having the project is what makes me happy, finishing it isn't something I think about.

Board footer