You are not logged in.

Era specific RESTOMODS bikes

#1 2010-05-13 12:52am

blazeone
Bikes: 2

Era specific RESTOMODS bikes

Curious if anyone does RestoMOD restorations when they restore there midschool bikes .

Basically restoring a bike while using era specific upgrade parts . Not necessarily using newschool upgrades on a old/mid school bike .

I ask because I would like to restore my Diamondback , but would like to know what would have been popular parts to use if a person was upgrading it in the mid 90's .

#2 2010-05-13 5:17am

tobin
Pro Member
Bikes: 12

Re: Era specific RESTOMODS bikes

I think that's what most people do when they restore bikes. Few people use newschool parts when doing old/mid school restorations.

#3 2010-05-13 8:13am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

you just need to do your research. it as much a part of a good restro as the labor in restoreing.

are you a mod or a rocker "im a moker" JOHN LENNON 1963!

#4 2010-05-13 10:10pm

blazeone
Bikes: 2

ok . gotcha . it just seemed that many of the restorations are done using original parts . not upgrades from the same year parts . I don't have any magazines or contacts from the mid 90's to reference the upgrade parts that would have been used to make a stock bike better . that's all .
I let ya know what i come up with i guess .
Thanks. smile

#5 2010-05-14 5:26pm

jfactor1
Crackhead In Training
Bikes: 5

What model DB is it?  I used to race a Reactor that I bought the frame used and built from parts off my old bike and of course upgraded some as I went along.

[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/jfactor1/pw07.png[/img]
"You'll be sorry Pee Wee Herman."

#6 2010-05-16 6:52pm

ymibhdu
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

I worked in a shop, so my bikes never left the shop stock, if they even started as complete bikes in the first place, so I guess I have been doing restomods from day one!

The fascination with stock parts is a little foreign to me.  Even back in the 80's, most stockers were built to a price point, so rebuiliding them to factory specs seems a little like selling them short.  Now a Harry Leary Turbo, or a Mike Buff CW, etc I can see returning to stock, as the parts were top notch, but noone I knew BITD ran an SR stem for longer than a test ride, even if they were just fine.  Same with stock pedals.  Stock grips on a lot of bikes turned your hands to hamburger, so the Oakleys or AME's went on right away.

I admire the perseverence to track down the OEM parts, but I want to build what we actually rode (or wanted to ride) way back when!

Please don't let me buy any bikes from you.  I have an addiction.  You wouldn't want to be an enabler, would you?

#7 2010-05-17 4:37am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

ymibhdu wrote:

I worked in a shop, so my bikes never left the shop stock, if they even started as complete bikes in the first place, so I guess I have been doing restomods from day one!

The fascination with stock parts is a little foreign to me.  Even back in the 80's, most stockers were built to a price point, so rebuiliding them to factory specs seems a little like selling them short.  Now a Harry Leary Turbo, or a Mike Buff CW, etc I can see returning to stock, as the parts were top notch, but noone I knew BITD ran an SR stem for longer than a test ride, even if they were just fine.  Same with stock pedals.  Stock grips on a lot of bikes turned your hands to hamburger, so the Oakleys or AME's went on right away.

I admire the perseverence to track down the OEM parts, but I want to build what we actually rode (or wanted to ride) way back when!

so true.
i think the folks how restore them back to standerd have a distorted view of what bmx was back in the day. most wherent there and only know what thayve been told. so just asume doing them up as og is keeping it real. ha ha. just like the twats that said on another post that i coudnt race a 84 performer frame compeditively(we,ve been told "thats a freestyle bike" so it must be its only use)what a joke. the truth is that bitd most folks couldnt aford lots of bikes so thay used there one and only to do every thing street/race and freestyle. and there also was no snobry most folk done a bit of every thing.

are you a mod or a rocker "im a moker" JOHN LENNON 1963!

Board footer