You are not logged in.

Is these dents repairable on this frame?

#1 2010-04-29 8:11am

bloud
Expert

Is these dents repairable on this frame?

Can anyone tell me if the dents on the frame behind the seat tube are repairable? And if you've repaired something like this, how much am I looking at?

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx76/bloud222/Fuji-Feather-003-1.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx76/bloud222/Fuji-Feather-006-s.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx76/bloud222/Fuji-Feather-009-s.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by bloud (2010-04-29 8:17am)

#2 2010-04-29 11:10am

D...Nice
Museum Addict
Bikes: 14

Re: Is these dents repairable on this frame?

Anything is repairable . . . it depends whether if you're gonna use paint, powder coat, or chrome plate it? You could either have the dents filled in by a welder or use car bondo if you're just painting it!

> > > Wanted List: MX-60 rims ~  ECKO Helmet - Large ~ Black Schwinn Banana Seat ~ Front 24" Skyway Tuff wheel White or Yellow ~ Patterson Decals ~ Sealed Sunshine Hubs < < <

#3 2010-04-29 11:15am

the real radical
Late To The Show!
Bikes: 8
Website

Yes they are repairable.A good powdercoater will use an all metallic filler(high temp resistant for baking) and the smooth it out then probably do his final prep/sandblast to make it all the same texture/porousity as much as possible before starting the powdercoat. Its not as bad as it sounds usually25-50 dollars extra if you dont annoy the guy telling him what to do and just let him do his thing. Ask around you three or four biggest bike shops around whos the best local powdercoater and ask a few Harley shops or riders too and you usually end up with one name said the most(theres not that many powdercoaters out there). Then, like I said, let that guy do his thing.If hes recomended he'll know what to do.All you need to tell him is take it easy on the serials and stamps,ask him to repair the ding his way and leave it. Im having one done right now like yours as we speak. I've tried it myself before with JB welds, High temp epoxies,and other stuff it really doesnt work out that great let the powder guy use the good all metal filler they carry .Future collectors or yourself can have it rebaked or powdered or dipped, etc in the future. Good luck!!

Stayin' alive

#4 2010-04-29 8:28pm

bloud
Expert

Thanks for the excellent responses. I believe this frame was originally painted, so I would want it painted for the restoration. Sounds if I could find someone to do all the procedures minus the powdercoat it would a possible solution.

#5 2010-04-30 8:11am

nofeet1hand
Centurion Member
Website

if you are going to paint,any car bondo will do. and you can do it your self,and save $,s. it not that hard to do. but like anything you do for the first time then take your time. and the job will be a good one. just for any one in a simaler situation,wishing to chrome. then this type of denting can be taken out with a spot welding stud gun and a slide hamer. but i would recomend leaveing it to a professonal unless you have the expirence.

are you a mod or a rocker "im a moker" JOHN LENNON 1963!

Board footer