You are not logged in.

1988 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model

#1 2009-08-27 4:03pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo
Bikes: 37

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/82709_024.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/82709_020.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/82709_021.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/82709_026.jpg

Survivor 1988 PFT Team Model put new grips and a pair of used gumwall tires on the bike. everything else is original.

http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

WTB: 1992 Yellow splatter GT Performer, 1992/1994 PFTs, 1992 Dyno Slammer

#2 2009-08-27 7:00pm

cnc6306
Oakley goggles man
Bikes: 2

Re: 1988 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model

sick Survivor , love this bike & color cool

TOPHER

#3 2009-08-27 11:13pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo

Thanks!

here are a couple shots with its brother.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/DemonGT410/8-27-09033.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/DemonGT410/8-27-09030.jpg

#4 2009-08-28 12:40am

Masspike
"TNT"
Bikes: 8

Day glow sickness yikes both survivor's? So clean too! big_smile

#5 2009-08-28 2:12am

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo

yes, both survivors big_smile

#6 2009-08-28 7:53am

jopac
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

nice whips bro, im jealous. ive got an 88 dgp pro freestyle tour that i havent even messed with. you got me motivated to get it going.

#7 2009-08-28 8:22am

whomhead
"New Old Stock"

I likey!
cool

#8 2009-08-28 12:37pm

mdf80
Centurion Member
Bikes: 1

sick survivors!! smile

MAGOO

#9 2009-09-04 12:42pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo

bigger pic

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/DemonGT410/8-27-09026.jpg

#10 2009-09-04 12:52pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

So nice...  want a DGP GT so bad...  some day...  smile

#11 2009-09-04 12:55pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo

$650 and you can have one. big_smile

#12 2009-09-04 1:58pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

DemonGT wrote:

I know...  and you might be hearing from me very soon.  Just sold some stuff.  smile

#13 2009-09-10 12:07pm

old school gt's
Museum Newbie
Bikes: 2

Nice Bike Always Wanted One Of The DayGlo Pink Team Models But Never Got One. Hope To Get One Soon.

#14 2009-09-10 6:48pm

five
BMXer 4 Life
Website

DemonGT wrote:

And now I will...  big_smile

Thanks!

#15 2009-09-22 9:38pm

GrandSportChrome
Museum Newbie

Hi there,

I want to thank you, DemonGT, for finally showing us the 1988 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model in hot pink, and I'll tell you why.

I grew up in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where at one time, we had four bike stores.  On the south end there was Wolf Cycle and Fitness, and Bike N Ski Warehouse.  On the north side, there was Johnnie's Bike Shop on Michigan Ave. and Spoke and Wheel on North 15th.  I lived on the corner of 10th and Geele, so every summer we'd go to the Citgo station across the street for soda, gum and the latest BMX magazines. But most of the time, if we wanted magazines, we'd go ride to Grube Pharmacy across the street from North High where Spoke and Wheel used to be.  I subscribed to Super BMX and Freestyle, from 1985 to 1987.  But by 1988, you couldn't find it anywhere.  So I was surprised to pick the September 1988 issue at Grube.  Here is where I found the article, written in large words:

THE BIKE

THE GT PRO FREESTYLE TOUR TEAM MODEL

Both Josh White and Joe Johnson (I think), were flying with this bike on a colorful two page spread.  I was floored.  I read that issue from cover to cover, and read the review of the bike test every hour of every day, during that Summer.  When it was tested, the price was $550, yet no matter what,  I knew this was The One. But where to find it? 

I knew my mom didn't have a lot of money, and it was hard to persuade her to buy a bike I really wanted.  So we took a trip to visit someone in Green Bay and found a bike store called Team Sports.  We went inside and met a man in a mullet and a mustache.  This guy was the owner.  He had Hutch, Skyway, Haro and MCS bikes all lined up, hanging on the ceiling, until I saw a glowing pink bike gleaming from the afternoon sun.  It was THE BIKE!

"Ohmigod!  It's the GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model!"

"What?  You mean the pink bike?" said my mom.

"Yes! How much is it?  Can you tell me about it?"

The owner said, "Well, it's a bit pricey.  We use these bikes on our BMX shows for Team Sports."

"I don't think we can afford this, John."

I kept looking at that bright pink and chrome bike believing Heaven was finally here on Earth.  God rode a GT and this was the bike.  Sure, it was different than every other chrome bike on the roads, in the parking lots and on the trails.  But there was no question, the bike was mine!

Or at least I thought.  The owner came over and told us the GT was $520.  Too much money. Hot pink was hard to find, and even harder to find in Wisconsin. 

When we went home, I kept thinking there couldn't be anyone in Sheboygan that would carry that that bike in their shop.  Wolf's had their hardcore BMX crew, Bike N Ski had their roadies and mountain bike guys.  Johnnie's still had Patti, who always talked too much.  So where could an ADHD kid go?  I went to Spoke and Wheel.

There were a couple of reasons for this. Floyd, who owned Spoke and Wheel, had a tanning salon right next door.  So he was always impeccably tanned, with a black wavy mullet and a 'stache. But he sold Haros and Nishikis, too.  He had a Haro Sport and a Master in the windows.  I owned an 86 Haro Sport Signature in blue and chrome and it was my daily ride for years. I loved Haros.  Right on Mayflower Ave, where Spoke, Grube Pharmacy and some other shops were, there was a curbed drop off, right where trucks pull in for shipments of goods. The drop off was more of a quarter pipe size than what you'd find anywhere else in Sheboygan.  I guess the designers didn't think of bikes for this.  But it was beautiful mistakes like this that creates beautiful jumps for street riding.  But while riding my Haro, I felt if I could save enough money, I'd get the GT.  It was just too cool.

So my mom and I went to Spoke and Wheel to talk to Floyd about getting the GT.  We told him Team Sports wanted $520 for the bike.

"Jeesh! $520? C'mon, we can do better than that!  How about $490?  Would that be alright?"

Floyd was a real salesman. How could we NOT pass this up?  Well, then, Floyd got our deposit down, and ordered the GT.  He told us that it would arrive within two weeks.  But in Sheboygan, I had my sources where I could find it sooner!

Off of Interstate 43, going north, there was a warehouse called Wisconsin Cycle.  Here all the bikes that were ordered from different dealers ended up before being shipped to to bike shops from Grafton to Wausau.  Many orders from Green Bay, Oshkosh, Stevens Point and so on, all started here.  I knew a fellow rider named Gooch who worked at Wolf's part time who also worked at the Wisconsin Cycle warehouse.  Gooch was one of the best riders in all of Sheboygan County.  He also helped start the trails off of 17th St. behind Kiwanis Park, which is a story in itself.  Well, we told him about the GT, and he arranged us to meet him at Wisconsin Cycle once the bike arrives.  A few days later, he called my mom and we drove over there to see the bike first hand. 

Now think about this.  Wisconsin Cycle had BMX bikes, all in boxes, as usual, in alphabetical order.  So we had the Generals right next to the GTs.  Most boxes were stacked two or three high, so it was easy access. Gooch found the pink bike buried and pulled it out.  There it was, all wrapped in Styrofoam wrap and white zip ties.  I couldn't of been happier.

The next week, we picked up the pink bike from Floyd, paid him off, and rode away a happy boy.  There are pictures and videos, my mom shot of me jumping with the pink bike in front of the 10th and Geele house.  We didn't do a lot of work.  Just some plywood and concrete blocks.  Simple stuff.  The more serious stuff was at the Kiwanis Park trails.  But there was a problem.  If you owned a hot pink freestyle bike among all the bikers riding chrome BMX bikes, you had a lot to fight for.  You either stayed home and not go out; be embarrassed and watch Thundercats.  Or you get fire and anger under your skull, listen to Slayer and fight back riding.  That's what I did, so the bike took some punishment.

Originally, The Hot Pink 1988 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model had chrome GT Superlace hubs, which I think is still a great design for fixed gearheads too.  The rims were chrome plated Araya 7X rims, but I had the chrome plating peel off of the rear rim.  It really ticked me off.  Later, while doing jumps off of the big Kiwanis Park trails, my GT Freestyle stem bent and cracked.  The neck of that white stem was notorious for this problem.  I later saw Josh White in a GT ad with the older block style stem, and that made sense to me.  It was such a better design. Besides, the pressure of slamming and jumping could create such a force on those bolts underneath the neck that they would snap. 

The White SR pedals didn't really grip as well as the Shimano DX pedals on my Haro.  But if you're doing flatland, the SRs were great.  Martin Aparijo used them on a nearly stock Tour Team when GT went to Mexico.  If you find it in the December 88 issue of Freestylin', Spike had a great photo shoot of Martin jumping out of a skatepark pool.  The GT A'ME grips were different.  You could get these little triangle sized callouses if you gripped to hard on them, and the GT saddle had cheap brass colored rails, so if you stepped it the wrong way, the saddle could pop off.  Otherwise, everything was great on this bike.  The only other thing I added was a pair of chrome GT axle pegs on the fork.

One thing I didn't mention was the paint.  Florescent colors fade under the sun.  So if you left your bike outside, it would definitely be in a different shade.  To make sure I didn't have that happen to the paint, I used Pledge as a cheap way to save the paint.  Armor All was good too, as Turtle Wax. But most of all, I just didn't leave the bike out.

I kept the pink bike for about four or five years until we had a rummage sale on 29th and Saemann Ave.  A local freestyler bought it for $120.  Yeah, One Hundred and Twenty bucks.  I really wanted to get rid of it.  I later saw the guy riding my bike with a pair of Bully handlebars in blue instead of the pink GT bars.  But as far as I remember, the 1988 Pink GT Tour Team was the only one in Sheboygan for years.  I've never seen another one anywhere in Wisconsin, nor anywhere on the Internet too, until now.

If you have an 88 GT, I wouldn't be surprised if it was mine.  Either way, it's amazing to me to see it for these are going for astronomical prices.  You could buy a car for that money.  But if you asked me if I regretted owning a pink GT, I'd say no.  It was unquestionably the most memorable bike I've ever owned. 

So thanks again for sharing.

Sincerely,

John Martinson

#16 2009-09-23 1:59am

Floofy
l'héroïne féminine de GT
Bikes: 10

Wow, John.  Thanks for sharing, what an excellent story! smile

#17 2009-09-23 6:52pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo

very nice story John. i to am in WI. i also have a day glow pink 1988 GT Pro Performer that has lived its entire life in WI.

#18 2009-09-24 12:52pm

GrandSportChrome
Museum Newbie

Hi there,

Well, if there is one thing I can add to anyone building a 1988 Pink Tour Team, I would say everything you had DemonGT was right and factory correct just like my old bike.  When my bike was new, I had chrome GT Superlace high flange hubs and they were unsealed.  Also, I had chrome plated Araya 7X rims and the Power Series cranks had black Power Series decals.  I think you could get reissue ones from eBay or on the forums somewhere. 

Many things had changed since those days up there in Sheboygan, and I don't think many of the new guys know about it.  They built a skatepark where they allow bikes near the tennis courts on Kiwanis Park land.  It's not the best, but it's a start.  When the trails were around, there was a huge hill that swooped down and up to a giant tabletop jump.  It was the coolest jump I've seen. But the city bulldozed the trails a long time ago because an archery club complained about it. 

Spoke and Wheel went out of business after authorities found out Floyd was running a drug ring from his tanning salon, and Bike N Ski went up to North 8th street.  But Wolf's and Johnnie's are still in the same place.  In fact, if you're looking for some OS BMX parts, both bike shops have a great selection.  Johnnie's even has OS MTB and road parts, too.

Just my two cents,

John

#19 2013-02-24 5:09pm

caleb_k31
This member is now deceased.
Bikes: 15

WILL NOT DEAL WITH LIST 619-bmx, Boyd, NickWG19, quadsticher, Djrothus, cgeorge715, bob70, sharkbite, Luke Sears ebay name bmxbrigade.

GT fork stander spring install - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=426565
PFT restoration thread - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 50&p=1
epoch headset, freestyle vs. race - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 7#p4233077

All the hub/hoop measuring info you will need along with spoke calculation info http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 9#p5435389

#20 2013-02-24 5:22pm

Tattooed_Shawn
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

I am originally from La Crosse. I have a all original 1987 GT Performer....in blue...listed under my bikes.

Definitely enjoy my cruisers the most!
BMXMUSEUM Team Rider.

#21 2013-05-27 2:31pm

DemonGT
Pro MemberDay-Glo Dynamo

person who won it on ebay has parted this bike. Sad sad

#22 2021-01-27 7:21pm

GRDesignZ
Pro Member