You are not logged in.

2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

#1 2008-11-20 8:09pm

squareback
Museum Newbie
From: Ontario, Canada
Signed up: 2008-09-20
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3
Website
Offline

2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1937_1_1.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1941_1_1.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com//image/img_1938_1_1.jpg

2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

New cruiser for a old school BMXer.

After joining the the BMX Museum I started checking out everbody old school cruisers from the 80s and well it got me to wanting a 26". After making a couple changes to the bike I have come to really dig it.


http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif

Offline

 

#2 2008-11-21 6:03am

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
From: Freeport, FL
Signed up: 2006-10-26
Posts: 832
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 1
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

Love that bike. Thought about getting one myself. Please do three things for me, though:

1. Pull the handlebars back so they are parallel with the forks.
2. Tilt the nose of the seat up a  bit so the seating surface is about parallel with the toptube.
3. Remove reflectors.


Trust 4130.

Offline

 

#3 2008-11-25 9:27pm

goride70
Museum Addict
From: Hayward, CA
Signed up: 2008-03-01
Posts: 1174
Bikes: 4
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

NIce hammer and I agree with Honda on all 3 points.Any ideas yet on what your gonna upgrade?There are some nice hammers on this site(including mine;))that you could get some ideas from.


Drive monkey,drive!!

Offline

 

#4 2008-11-25 9:41pm

mongoosefreek
Primo Freek
From: Cullman, AL
Signed up: 2008-02-23
Posts: 1138
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

i havent even noticed that Volume made 24s. thats cool. nice bike


Love anything PR1MO.
I mostly like mid/new school bikes/parts.

Offline

 

#5 2008-11-26 7:56pm

squareback
Museum Newbie
From: Ontario, Canada
Signed up: 2008-09-20
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

Honda4bmxSnM wrote:

Love that bike. Thought about getting one myself. Please do three things for me, though:

1. Pull the handlebars back so they are parallel with the forks.
2. Tilt the nose of the seat up a  bit so the seating surface is about parallel with the toptube.
3. Remove reflectors.

Yeah I am buckling into the peer pressure.

I removed the reflectors.

Offline

 

#6 2008-11-27 9:45am

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
From: Freeport, FL
Signed up: 2006-10-26
Posts: 832
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 1
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

mongoosefreek wrote:

i havent even noticed that Volume made 24s. thats cool. nice bike

It's not a 24"...it's a 26"!!

Carl


Trust 4130.

Offline

 

#7 2008-11-27 9:47am

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
From: Freeport, FL
Signed up: 2006-10-26
Posts: 832
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 1
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

squareback wrote:

Honda4bmxSnM wrote:

Love that bike. Thought about getting one myself. Please do three things for me, though:

1. Pull the handlebars back so they are parallel with the forks.
2. Tilt the nose of the seat up a  bit so the seating surface is about parallel with the toptube.
3. Remove reflectors.

Yeah I am buckling into the peer pressure.

I removed the reflectors.

As for the handlebars and seat suggestions...I'm not into trends but I can say that centering your weight over the bottom bracket rather than the front tire makes for way better riding...much more nimble, too. The seat just needs to look better tilted up.

Love the bike, man! Enjoy!


Trust 4130.

Offline

 

#8 2008-11-27 7:58pm

squareback
Museum Newbie
From: Ontario, Canada
Signed up: 2008-09-20
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

goride70 wrote:

NIce hammer and I agree with Honda on all 3 points.Any ideas yet on what your gonna upgrade?There are some nice hammers on this site(including mine;))that you could get some ideas from.

Hey man thanks. I checked out your hammer before I got mine.
It's a nice ride!
I think the first thing I'll do is upgrade the wheels. I have always wanted to have something lace up to a set of Phil Wood hubs. I also had the thought of mags pop into my head.
Anybody have any feed back on Aerospoke wheels?
I also have been thinking it might be neat to put some bigger bars on. Something maybe with like an 8 inch rise but I am going to ride it some more first and see how I settle in with its feel first.

Offline

 

#9 2008-11-27 10:05pm

squareback
Museum Newbie
From: Ontario, Canada
Signed up: 2008-09-20
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

Honda4bmxSnM wrote:

squareback wrote:

Honda4bmxSnM wrote:

Love that bike. Thought about getting one myself. Please do three things for me, though:

1. Pull the handlebars back so they are parallel with the forks.
2. Tilt the nose of the seat up a  bit so the seating surface is about parallel with the toptube.
3. Remove reflectors.

Yeah I am buckling into the peer pressure.

I removed the reflectors.

As for the handlebars and seat suggestions...I'm not into trends but I can say that centering your weight over the bottom bracket rather than the front tire makes for way better riding...much more nimble, too. The seat just needs to look better tilted up.

Love the bike, man! Enjoy!

So are you going to get one? 2009's are going to be higher end but they're going to cost more as well.
I am in Canada now and it was going to cost me a fair bit to bring next year's in and I found this one already in the country so I grabbed it.

Yeah I like the seat where it is now. As for the bars I'll try moving them back. I had them back to start and it felt great. Then the next time I rode the bike I felt a little crowded so I moved them forward. I think what I really might be after is to try some bigger bars.

Offline

 

#10 2009-07-16 8:48pm

squareback
Museum Newbie
From: Ontario, Canada
Signed up: 2008-09-20
Posts: 16
Bikes: 3
Website
Offline

Re: 2008 Volume Sledgehammer 26

I have made just a couple changes thus far to my Hammer. First I got myself a set of GNAR bars and man was it a great change. Also had a new set of wheels built. I went with Rhyno Lites laced to some Odyssey Hazard hubs. cool

Offline

 

Board footer