You are not logged in.

Hate the price of JDB cranks

#51 2021-05-19 10:49am

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
From: Ohio
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 9002
Bikes: 14
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

mroze1 wrote:

justlive wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:


Back over here in the real world, what it actually is is your "wants" cannot be fulfilled by your financial ability, and then you manifest the anger by blaming others for your own shortcomings. I feel that way about a $3,000 oil change, which is why I won't buy a Ferrari. But I also don't waste my time on Ferrari forums bashing the brand over $3,000 oil changes when I understand that it is my own inability to afford the maintenance which is the root cause of the problem. The solution is putting in more effort to gain the financial ability to afford the things that you want. Or...you could continue to mire here in the mud of the sh*t-show thread you created.

Carry on...

Lol. Now THAT I see touched a nerve. You should really copy and paste that quote on the home page of your site. See how that strikes the chord in your customer base...You have no clue what my "financial ability" is. And just the fact that you would imply that myself or anyone else for that matter are simply crying because we might not be able to afford it just shows your character as a business man. There's a difference between being able to afford something and simply refusing to on the basis of price gouging. And as a consumer we are also free to share our experiences or grievances with a company or product on forums such as this. If you can't handle the criticism I suggest maybe you're in the wrong business. It's not like you or your knock off Hutch brand would be missed. Deuces!

Ooohh..  Now justlive has his fight.....teeth in...pull man pull...geez it feels good doesn't it??.....pull....pull.....  Take down that American small businessman with a passion for BMX.  Do it!!

Huh? Grow up roll. I simply voiced my opinion like many others on here. If he can't take the criticism than why is he posting on here? Sort of like the "if you don't want to buy it then move on" narrative. And I highly doubt my opinion is going to put him out if business. He's been getting blasted for years and yet here he is. Have you ever heard of Google reviews? Well, we're just giving him our review. In all honesty I was a very vocal supporter of his at one time.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Offline

 

#52 2021-05-19 10:49am

mroze1
Pro Member
From: A better place in years past.
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 1077
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

JS-44SDS wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:


Back over here in the real world, what it actually is is your "wants" cannot be fulfilled by your financial ability, and then you manifest the anger by blaming others for your own shortcomings. I feel that way about a $3,000 oil change, which is why I won't buy a Ferrari. But I also don't waste my time on Ferrari forums bashing the brand over $3,000 oil changes when I understand that it is my own inability to afford the maintenance which is the root cause of the problem. The solution is putting in more effort to gain the financial ability to afford the things that you want. Or...you could continue to mire here in the mud of the sh*t-show thread you created.

Carry on...

John, really? Are you really comparing your HUTCH cranks to a Ferrari (or Ferrari oil change)?
Are your cranks made of solid gold? What sets your product apart from other brands to warrant the price tag? Seems like a fair question.

Instead of getting argumentative with us, be a salesman and tout your products.
Business acumen 101.

NO reread what he typed.....no I do not agree with his way.

I'm sorry, what was your interpretation of "his way".  Trying to see it from your perspective.


bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

Offline

 

#53 2021-05-19 10:50am

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
From: Ohio
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 9002
Bikes: 14
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

You have no clue what my "financial ability" is.

Your complete quote that I excerpted was rambling about things being "pricey" to the "average Joe"...which is all fair assumption of something being priced out of one's ability for purchase.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

Last edited by justlive (2021-05-19 10:50am)


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Offline

 

#54 2021-05-19 10:50am

Team3d
Pro MemberFKX Racing
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2020-02-10
Posts: 1209
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 17
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

Right now it's all about certain people taking advantage of a situation.

Back over here in the real world, what it actually is is your "wants" cannot be fulfilled by your financial ability, and then you manifest the anger by blaming others for your own shortcomings. I feel that way about a $3,000 oil change, which is why I won't buy a Ferrari. But I also don't waste my time on Ferrari forums bashing the brand over $3,000 oil changes when I understand that it is my own inability to afford the maintenance which is the root cause of the problem. The solution is putting in more effort to gain the financial ability to afford the things that you want. Or...you could continue to mire here in the mud of the sh*t-show thread you created.

Carry on...

i am speechless....


Gt

Offline

 

#55 2021-05-19 10:53am

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
From: Ohio
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 9002
Bikes: 14
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

mroze1 wrote:

JS-44SDS wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:


John, really? Are you really comparing your HUTCH cranks to a Ferrari (or Ferrari oil change)?
Are your cranks made of solid gold? What sets your product apart from other brands to warrant the price tag? Seems like a fair question.

Instead of getting argumentative with us, be a salesman and tout your products.
Business acumen 101.

NO reread what he typed.....no I do not agree with his way.

I'm sorry, what was your interpretation of "his way".  Trying to see it from your perspective.

He's cherry picking his arguments. Just like he's always done on the many numerous threads on him over the years.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Offline

 

#56 2021-05-19 10:54am

BMX3353
Pro Member
From: Halfmoon, NY
Registered: 2021-01-19
Posts: 441
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Me reread what he typed? Why did I miss something?

This is not a "JDB/HUTCH" forum.
A Corvette costs more than a Equinox. And not everyone can afford a Corvette. I get it. But an Equinox should not cost me 10X more than a Ford Escape.

In my opinion, John should treat every single person on this forum as a potential customer. Reply with class and professionalism. Represent the HUTCH brand with honor.

But John can do what he wants.

Offline

 

#57 2021-05-19 10:59am

Team3d
Pro MemberFKX Racing
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2020-02-10
Posts: 1209
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 17
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

pwh4130 wrote:

Ok, I know the topic of JDB is touchy for a lot of you but here is my two cents:

I met John years ago and he seemed to be a decent person with a passion for the Hutch brand.  All good.

The way the free market economy works is businesses will charge as much for a product in demand as the market will allow.  If Hutch cranks cost a million dollars and people paid that amount, then a million dollars is the right price.  If people won't pay that amount, then the price will be lowered or the business will fail.  John knows this and that is how he chooses to run his business.  If he lowered the price to $150 per crankset, people would buy them and not complain.

Bottom line, if you don't like the price, business practice or person, nobody is forcing you to give your money to Hutch.  Arguing over this makes as much sense as arguing over what flavor of ice cream is the best.  We all have our preferences.

removed.... after i spoke to jdb, i totally understand and knows exactly why the price is the way it was...

Last edited by Team3d (2021-05-19 3:15pm)


Gt

Offline

 

#58 2021-05-19 11:02am

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
From: Ohio
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 9002
Bikes: 14
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Team3d wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Ok, I know the topic of JDB is touchy for a lot of you but here is my two cents:

I met John years ago and he seemed to be a decent person with a passion for the Hutch brand.  All good.

The way the free market economy works is businesses will charge as much for a product in demand as the market will allow.  If Hutch cranks cost a million dollars and people paid that amount, then a million dollars is the right price.  If people won't pay that amount, then the price will be lowered or the business will fail.  John knows this and that is how he chooses to run his business.  If he lowered the price to $150 per crankset, people would buy them and not complain.

Bottom line, if you don't like the price, business practice or person, nobody is forcing you to give your money to Hutch.  Arguing over this makes as much sense as arguing over what flavor of ice cream is the best.  We all have our preferences.

you are right.... but wrong time for this reply....

i also own a tiny little aftermarket performance online store that sells late model honda civic parts... freight costs have gone up... you are allow to adjust the price up during pandemic, but there is a state law & federal law on price gouging during the pandemic..

and what jdb did was illegal, if he raise the price up before covid ? he is entitle to do so.....


in my industry, you can see across the board, almost every brands raise the price up, but the increase % are very similar...  including myself, i have to increase 2% to keep the same profit margin....  i have never heard the material & freight & labor cost went up 100%....

Exactly ^^^


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Offline

 

#59 2021-05-19 11:02am

mroze1
Pro Member
From: A better place in years past.
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 1077
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Let's talk about business plans.  Every good company has one.  It's usually a written statement of intent.  If you are familiar with John's inventory over time it looks to me like he's not doing this "Hutch" thing for money.  His livelihood doesn't depend on it.  Otherwise there would be active inventory of lower priced goods.  So it could very well be that John's business plan could be to elevate the Hutch brand to that of being the "Ferrari" of bmx brands.  It had a good start before his involvement, he built off the earlier momentum.   Then when the brand value reaches that Ferrari status.....sell.  So maybe he only want's the affluent on Hutch.  I don't see too many poor people driving Ferrari.  So without knowing the true business plan it's hard for anyone here to make a rational argument.


bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

Offline

 

#60 2021-05-19 11:12am

brackett
AdminThe Maharajah
From: Southern Indiana
Registered: 2009-10-27
Posts: 28556
Bikes: 18
Website
Online

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

mroze1 wrote:

Let's talk about business plans.  Every good company has one.  It's usually a written statement of intent.  If you are familiar with John's inventory over time it looks to me like he's not doing this "Hutch" thing for money.  His livelihood doesn't depend on it.  Otherwise there would be active inventory of lower priced goods.  So it could very well be that John's business plan could be to elevate the Hutch brand to that of being the "Ferrari" of bmx brands.  It had a good start before his involvement, he built off the earlier momentum.   Then when the brand value reaches that Ferrari status.....sell.  So maybe he only want's the affluent on Hutch.  I don't see too many poor people driving Ferrari.  So without knowing the true business plan it's hard for anyone here to make a rational argument.

I'm not a Hutch guy but this makes all kinds of sense.


I never log off and I had to disable my screen saver because it was causing problems , making me have to restart my computer every time it kicked on. Please keep that in mind if you message me and I don't reply back right away. Thanks.

Online

 

#61 2021-05-19 11:13am

mroze1
Pro Member
From: A better place in years past.
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 1077
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

justlive wrote:

mroze1 wrote:

justlive wrote:

Lol. Now THAT I see touched a nerve. You should really copy and paste that quote on the home page of your site. See how that strikes the chord in your customer base...You have no clue what my "financial ability" is. And just the fact that you would imply that myself or anyone else for that matter are simply crying because we might not be able to afford it just shows your character as a business man. There's a difference between being able to afford something and simply refusing to on the basis of price gouging. And as a consumer we are also free to share our experiences or grievances with a company or product on forums such as this. If you can't handle the criticism I suggest maybe you're in the wrong business. It's not like you or your knock off Hutch brand would be missed. Deuces!

Ooohh..  Now justlive has his fight.....teeth in...pull man pull...geez it feels good doesn't it??.....pull....pull.....  Take down that American small businessman with a passion for BMX.  Do it!!

Huh? Grow up roll. I simply voiced my opinion like many others on here. If he can't take the criticism than why is he posting on here? Sort of like the "if you don't want to buy it then move on" narrative. And I highly doubt my opinion is going to put him out if business. He's been getting blasted for years and yet here he is. Have you ever heard of Google reviews? Well, we're just giving him our review. In all honesty I was a very vocal supporter of his at one time.

I appreciate every opinion you stated excluding the "Grow up".  To which I say <beep deleted expletive >

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-05-19 6:02pm)


bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

Offline

 

#62 2021-05-19 11:13am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
From: Hoosier Land
Registered: 2013-08-26
Posts: 6335
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

The other topic was started to essentially bad mouth / castigate John for raising prices of his Hutch cranks.

Which are hand made by Hutch in Wisconsin.

Comparatively speaking, the price the Hutch cranks (were) selling for apples/apples matched up with Profile elite cranks, which also 3 pc design made in the US.

So, John makes a decision to raise price of his cranks, for reasons he as a businessman made. Whether due to raw material increases, labor cost increases, supply and demand factors, and possible others.

Gets roundly called out, even by people who don't own or don't intend to own, his products.

That not being enough, another thread created to further goad John into further trying to reply, to perpetuate more attacks.

Really has devolved into the mob mentality.

So, if John continued to make them in the US and sell for the former price, for people to snatch up and sell for 2-3x that, would it not make sense to evaluate the market and react? As a businessman that is smart. Do any of you run a business? Do you understand supply and demand? If the flippers could get 3x what he was selling them for, then that is what the market will bear right now. Letting the flippers gain that profit instead of him trying to run a small business, would not make logical sense.

What is funny again is the more exasperated his replies, the angrier you all get and ramp up the attacks. Yet you chose to attack in the first place, rather than just not buy the product, which most all of you weren't going to do in the first place. Essentially $hitting on his FS post so to speak, which all of you would be foaming at the mouth if someone did it to you.

What about the double-standard as well. Where was the venom against CM when he "sold out" and partnered with Supreme on a $2,000 dirt bike?

Last edited by brettweir89 (2021-05-19 11:14am)


So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
It's over Anakin, I have the high ground! -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline

 

#63 2021-05-19 11:19am

John De Bruin
Pro Member
From: Wiscaaansin
Registered: 2008-01-24
Posts: 1912
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Team3d wrote:

and what jdb did was illegal

You are out of line. There are no federal laws against price gouging. You are referring to state laws and I am not in California. Someone else already copy/pasted a link to Wisconsin law to call you out on this once before. 

I politely request that you rescind that statement.

Offline

 

#64 2021-05-19 11:34am

mroze1
Pro Member
From: A better place in years past.
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 1077
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Upon searching I'm coming up dry with Team3d's illegality claim.  I'll keep looking.  Team3d do you have a link to the law your referencing?  Anyone else if he's unable?


bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

Offline

 

#65 2021-05-19 11:45am

Wrenchspinner
Pro MemberMega Pro
From: Albany NY
Registered: 2013-02-13
Posts: 685
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Price gouging laws usually apply to goods or services that are a necessity during a natural or unnatural disaster.


Homeboy #04400

Offline

 

#66 2021-05-19 11:48am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
From: Hoosier Land
Registered: 2013-08-26
Posts: 6335
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Wisconsin DOES have a price gouging law.

https://datcp.wi.gov/Documents/PricingGouging925.pdf

In order for it to be enforced, the Governor has to make a formal declaration of an abnormal economic situation.
Which he did at start of pandemic.

https://evers.wi.gov/Documents/EO/EO072 … VID-19.pdf

Which was ended July 2020

https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/News_Media/W … eriod.aspx

Any reasonable person, would know the spirit of this is to protect consumers from needed items. Groceries, clothes, OTC medications, etc. Not luxury, non-essential items.

You people are acting ridiculous.

Last edited by brettweir89 (2021-05-19 11:50am)


So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
It's over Anakin, I have the high ground! -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline

 

#67 2021-05-19 12:00pm

John De Bruin
Pro Member
From: Wiscaaansin
Registered: 2008-01-24
Posts: 1912
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

And to clarify for the record, the price of cranks went up after July 3, 2020.

Wisconsin historically does not press it's thumb on businesses. Even immediately after 9/11 the only gas stations that received a fine were for breaking the specific statute of adjusting the price more than 1 time on a given calendar day (not the price gouging that most of them did). As long at they raised it by a lot only 1 time that day, they were perfectly within their legal right to do so.

Offline

 

#68 2021-05-19 12:02pm

socaldude
Pro MemberThe Hawaiian Hacker
From: Waipahu, Hawaii
Registered: 2009-10-14
Posts: 2872
Bikes: 39
Website
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

John De Bruin wrote:

Team3d wrote:

and what jdb did was illegal

You are out of line. There are no federal laws against price gouging. You are referring to state laws and I am not in California. Someone else already copy/pasted a link to Wisconsin law to call you out on this once before. 

I politely request that you rescind that statement.

Don't price gouging laws only pertain to Essential Goods and Services after an emergency declaration? Your Honda hop-up parts and Johns cranks don't fall under Essentials.

(looks like others beat me to it)

Last edited by socaldude (2021-05-19 12:07pm)


planetbicycle@yahoo.com

Would love to find my old Dirt Bike.  It was stolen in Pompano Beach, Florida in about 1996.  It's a '92 with the block graphics on a Green frame.  Pitchforks, Slam bars, King Headset, GT (DK-style) stem and GT/Profile cranks.  Superlace hubs.  Would really love to put this back in my collection.

Offline

 

#69 2021-05-19 12:25pm

phishfarm73
Pro MemberDIRTY HIPPIE
From: Indianapolis
Registered: 2009-01-07
Posts: 9072
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

This thread needs boobs, like yesterday!


BMX Patriots!

Offline

 

#70 2021-05-19 12:29pm

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 46198
Bikes: 97
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

phishfarm73 wrote:

This thread needs long ginger pubes, like yesterday!

Offline

 

#71 2021-05-19 12:50pm

John De Bruin
Pro Member
From: Wiscaaansin
Registered: 2008-01-24
Posts: 1912
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Team3d wrote:

i also own a tiny little aftermarket performance online store that sells late model honda civic parts...

Are you Andy Chen? Since I have a customer of that name with outstanding orders who I believe is you, it's in your best interest to answer.

Offline

 

#72 2021-05-19 1:05pm

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
From: Ohio
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 9002
Bikes: 14
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

mroze1 wrote:

justlive wrote:

mroze1 wrote:

Ooohh..  Now justlive has his fight.....teeth in...pull man pull...geez it feels good doesn't it??.....pull....pull.....  Take down that American small businessman with a passion for BMX.  Do it!!

Huh? Grow up roll. I simply voiced my opinion like many others on here. If he can't take the criticism than why is he posting on here? Sort of like the "if you don't want to buy it then move on" narrative. And I highly doubt my opinion is going to put him out if business. He's been getting blasted for years and yet here he is. Have you ever heard of Google reviews? Well, we're just giving him our review. In all honesty I was a very vocal supporter of his at one time.

I appreciate every opinion you stated excluding the "Grow up".  To which I say <beep deleted expletive >

Just when you were starting to make sense. I rest my case child.


-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

Offline

 

#73 2021-05-19 1:05pm

jberg27
Pro Member
From: Phoenix, AZ
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1242
Bikes: 37
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Reading this topic and the one on PlanetBMX, this site is a tough place for retailers to interact with "customers".

Offline

 

#74 2021-05-19 1:06pm

mroze1
Pro Member
From: A better place in years past.
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 1077
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

*

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-05-19 1:07pm)


bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

Offline

 

#75 2021-05-19 1:08pm

mroze1
Pro Member
From: A better place in years past.
Registered: 2008-09-12
Posts: 1077
Offline

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

Delete duplicate post.

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-05-19 6:57pm)


bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

Offline

 

Board footer