Pro MemberThe Professor
Signed up: 2017-11-17

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

mroze1 wrote:

Ryan_QL wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:

The cranks are made here.

I guess the thread is done already. lol

You may be the nicest guy in the world but every time I see you reply on here you come off arrogant and rude.

In John's defense, if I were him I would also keep my response short.  Long enough to let you know I listen to customer feedback.  But short enough to not have something I say be taken out of context or misquoted.  Despite people trying to make this place something else, for now it's still America.  A small business owner has the right to make his own financial decisions and say or say not what he wants.  Maybe folks here would like to live in another country.

Stall the political bullshit man. Simple fact is hardly anybody is digging the price hike on John products nor the company for that matter as it’s no secret and hasn’t been for a LONG ASS TIME. The few that stand by his products around here stay silent for the simple fact they know they got greased for there money. Who are you all of all sudden? His defense attorney? GTFO...roll

#27 2021-05-19 7:53am

Wrenchspinner
Pro MemberMega Pro
Signed up: 2013-02-13

JDB Aerospeeds look much more difficult to manufacture. There was a video on YouTube a long time ago showing the process. Welding and blending the stamped "arms" together like they do is really something. Far cry from the squashed tubes that RL and Profile produce. Titanium spindle as well.

Homeboy #04400

#28 2021-05-19 7:54am

Ihave27frets
Pro Member
Signed up: 2020-05-02
Bikes: 7
For Sale: 8

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/273502/354a24f7-238b-48a7-b9b9-55353e4bdf5260a526a07d.jpeg

#29 2021-05-19 7:59am

givebloodridebmx
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-10-19
Bikes: 5

Wrenchspinner wrote:

JDB Aerospeeds look much more difficult to manufacture. There was a video on YouTube a long time ago showing the process. Welding and blending the stamped "arms" together like they do is really something. Far cry from the squashed tubes that RL and Profile produce. Titanium spindle as well.

Say WHAAAAAT?! So I guess Profile cranks are junk? Huh, thats new to me:/ Big deal about Ti spindles, got one in my Profiles, not a "hard to get" thing.

KEEP GIVING BLOOD

#30 2021-05-19 8:08am

mroze1
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-09-12

-

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-08-09 4:02am)

#31 2021-05-19 8:16am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Signed up: 2009-04-12
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 1

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

I can understand if his stuff was made here...

No, because I wasn't only referring to the cranks with that statement. It still doesn't explain the enormous price hike on the same cranks you've been selling for years.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#32 2021-05-19 8:18am

mroze1
Pro Member

-

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-08-09 4:02am)

#33 2021-05-19 8:19am

justlive

racerbvd wrote:

Kurt_Rad wrote:

I’ve never even looked at or considered purchasing any JDB product.

Your loss, my Cruiser is a sweet ride, fun well balanced and maintains a proper vintage look.  I'd run the modern version of the cranks on my 85 Trick Star if I didn't still have Flites from BITD for it, that I picked up in the 80s.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 0e4932.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 0e4934.jpg

Yes, unfortunately it was my loss buying a frame that I waited years to come to fruition. Only to finally get it and see how horribly designed it was.

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#34 2021-05-19 8:20am

Wrenchspinner
Pro MemberMega Pro
Signed up: 2013-02-13

givebloodridebmx wrote:

Wrenchspinner wrote:

Say WHAAAAAT?! So I guess Profile cranks are junk? Huh, thats new to me:/ Big deal about Ti spindles, got one in my Profiles, not a "hard to get" thing.

Not saying that at all. The Profile design is so good that it's remained virtually unchanged all these years. Proof positive is JDB's adoption of the same spindle/arm interface. Redline's Flight design is pretty much mimicked by every other manufacturer. Proof that the pinch design is also great. Now when talking money, titanium is difficult to machine and very expensive. I never once mentioned rare.

Homeboy #04400

#35 2021-05-19 8:22am

justlive

mroze1 wrote:

justlive wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:

No, because I wasn't only referring to the cranks with that statement. It still doesn't explain the enormous price hike on the same cranks you've been selling for years.

Prices are up on all bike parts, as well as Trucks, bacon, lumber, etc, etc.

His prices were getting out of hand way before this Covid nonsense. That's why it seems so obvious not only to me but many others that he's just taking advantage of the situation.

#36 2021-05-19 8:28am

NewMidMike
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2008-12-27
Bikes: 31

Isn't it only the cranks that went up?  Literally doubled from one run to the next?

I haven't seen any other Hutch products price increase a penny.  But for some reason the cranks did dramatically.

New Orleans via Steamboat Springs, CO via New Orleans

#37 2021-05-19 8:28am

justlive

pwh4130 wrote:

Ok, I know the topic of JDB is touchy for a lot of you but here is my two cents:

I met John years ago and he seemed to be a decent person with a passion for the Hutch brand.  All good.

The way the free market economy works is businesses will charge as much for a product in demand as the market will allow.  If Hutch cranks cost a million dollars and people paid that amount, then a million dollars is the right price.  If people won't pay that amount, then the price will be lowered or the business will fail.  John knows this and that is how he chooses to run his business.  If he lowered the price to $150 per crankset, people would buy them and not complain.

Bottom line, if you don't like the price, business practice or person, nobody is forcing you to give your money to Hutch.  Arguing over this makes as much sense as arguing over what flavor of ice cream is the best.  We all have our preferences.

I understand how a free market economy works. I understand that the price that people are willing to pay will dictate the market. But I also understand that if someone wants or needs a particular part then they have no other choice but to pay that price. Not because they want to, or because they feel it's a fair price. But simply because if they don't then they will have to go without. And this is what guys like JDB bank on.

#38 2021-05-19 8:38am

justlive

And for God sake please stop comparing the bmx industry to major automobile manufacturers. There is zero comparison. You have millions of people buying automobiles daily all over the world. And I understand the bmx bikes/parts surplus are depleted. But that doesn't mean once they are back in stock you need to raise the prices astronomically. A lot of this stuff was already pricey before Covid for the average Joe to justify getting into the sport. Not to mention any kids who want to get involved trying to convince their parents to drop over $1k to build them a quality bike. It's ridiculous. Right now it's all about certain people taking advantage of a situation.

#39 2021-05-19 9:16am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Post Restriction
Signed up: 2007-06-28
Bikes: 87
Website

BMX3353 wrote:

hahaha... Will this thread mysteriously disappear like the one from yesterday?
It amazes when I see "some" threads die while others that are far more hostile live on.

+1 blows my mind.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#40 2021-05-19 9:24am

John De Bruin
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-01-24
For Sale: 4
Website

justlive wrote:

Right now it's all about certain people taking advantage of a situation.

Back over here in the real world, what it actually is is your "wants" cannot be fulfilled by your financial ability, and then you manifest the anger by blaming others for your own shortcomings. I feel that way about a $3,000 oil change, which is why I won't buy a Ferrari. But I also don't waste my time on Ferrari forums bashing the brand over $3,000 oil changes when I understand that it is my own inability to afford the maintenance which is the root cause of the problem. The solution is putting in more effort to gain the financial ability to afford the things that you want. Or...you could continue to mire here in the mud of the sh*t-show thread you created.

Carry on...

#41 2021-05-19 9:29am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Post Restriction
Signed up: 2007-06-28
Bikes: 87
Website

BMX3353 wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

I can understand if his stuff was made here...

John, I don't know you. You could be the nicest guy in the world. But this response is incomplete. If you just answered why the price is what it is without smiley faces, people might have more respect for your company/brand. If it truly is just price gouging, just say so. Own it.

he clearly do's not care to have are respect. just are cash.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#42 2021-05-19 9:41am

BMX3353
Pro Member
Signed up: 2021-01-19
Bikes: 2

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

Back over here in the real world, what it actually is is your "wants" cannot be fulfilled by your financial ability, and then you manifest the anger by blaming others for your own shortcomings. I feel that way about a $3,000 oil change, which is why I won't buy a Ferrari. But I also don't waste my time on Ferrari forums bashing the brand over $3,000 oil changes when I understand that it is my own inability to afford the maintenance which is the root cause of the problem. The solution is putting in more effort to gain the financial ability to afford the things that you want. Or...you could continue to mire here in the mud of the sh*t-show thread you created.

Carry on...

John, really? Are you really comparing your HUTCH cranks to a Ferrari (or Ferrari oil change)?
Are your cranks made of solid gold? What sets your product apart from other brands to warrant the price tag? Seems like a fair question.

Instead of getting argumentative with us, be a salesman and tout your products.
Business acumen 101.

Last edited by BMX3353 (2021-05-19 9:52am)

#43 2021-05-19 9:45am

Kurt_Rad
BMXer 4 Life
Signed up: 2011-01-10
Bikes: 97

#Hutchmoney

#44 2021-05-19 9:57am

justlive

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

Carry on...

Lol. Now THAT I see touched a nerve. You should really copy and paste that quote on the home page of your site. See how that strikes the chord in your customer base...You have no clue what my "financial ability" is. And just the fact that you would imply that myself or anyone else for that matter are simply crying because we might not be able to afford it just shows your character as a business man. There's a difference between being able to afford something and simply refusing to on the basis of price gouging. And as a consumer we are also free to share our experiences or grievances with a company or product on forums such as this. If you can't handle the criticism I suggest maybe you're in the wrong business. It's not like you or your knock off Hutch brand would be missed. Deuces!

#45 2021-05-19 10:03am

FU
Pro Member
Signed up: 2007-08-13
Bikes: 4

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:

hahaha... Will this thread mysteriously disappear like the one from yesterday?
It amazes when I see "some" threads die while others that are far more hostile live on.

+1 blows my mind.

And not deleted, but moved....out of the brightlights of catchall

Last edited by FU (2021-05-19 10:04am)

If it were up to me, I'd do it mob style and anyone who knew anything gets whacked.

POOF!----hehehehe-HAHAHAHAHAHA

#46 2021-05-19 10:09am

mroze1
Pro Member

-

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-08-09 4:03am)

#47 2021-05-19 10:21am

John De Bruin
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-01-24
For Sale: 4
Website

justlive wrote:

You have no clue what my "financial ability" is.

Your complete quote that I excerpted was rambling about things being "pricey" to the "average Joe"...which is all fair assumption of something being priced out of one's ability for purchase.

#48 2021-05-19 10:34am

mroze1
Pro Member

-

Last edited by mroze1 (2021-08-09 4:03am)

#49 2021-05-19 10:35am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Signed up: 2008-01-27

NewMidMike wrote:

Isn't it only the cranks that went up?  Literally doubled from one run to the next?

I haven't seen any other Hutch products price increase a penny.  But for some reason the cranks did dramatically.

Wonder why they don’t have the Og type bottom bracket.....that would have been so cool.

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stipidity.

Guy passes away, Free parts equals a Corvette

#50 2021-05-19 10:38am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Signed up: 2008-01-27

BMX3353 wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

Carry on...

John, really? Are you really comparing your HUTCH cranks to a Ferrari (or Ferrari oil change)?
Are your cranks made of solid gold? What sets your product apart from other brands to warrant the price tag? Seems like a fair question.

Instead of getting argumentative with us, be a salesman and tout your products.
Business acumen 101.

NO reread what he typed.....no I do not agree with his way.

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stipidity.

Guy passes away, Free parts equals a Corvette

Board footer