Hate the price of JDB cranks

#1 2021-05-19 4:58am

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 14

Hate the price of JDB cranks

And now we wait...

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#2 2021-05-19 5:28am

BMX3353
Pro Member
Bikes: 2

Re: Hate the price of JDB cranks

hahaha... Will this thread mysteriously disappear like the one from yesterday?
It amazes when I see "some" threads die while others that are far more hostile live on.

#3 2021-05-19 5:39am

angrykevin

Profiles are the reference crank that everyone has copied over the years and currently sell for around $170.00
What do JDB cranks sell for? (I’ve never looked for them and don’t know)

#4 2021-05-19 5:43am

OLDSKOOLPK
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

When people started buying them not to install but to flip on the raffle pages and ebay, DeBruin jacked the price up.

Supply and demand = greed sometimes, easy story to read and understand.

I BUY ANYTHING OLD SCHOOL SE RACING! Framesets, stickers, bars, padsets, jerseys, helmets and etc!  Looking for Cheng Shin or Mitsuboshi 26 x 2.125/1.75 tires in black with skinwall. NOS or nice used.

#5 2021-05-19 5:43am

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
Bikes: 97

I’ve never even looked at or considered purchasing any JDB product.

#6 2021-05-19 5:48am

justlive

BMX3353 wrote:

It amazes when I see "some" threads die while others that are far more hostile live on.

I actually just want to hear his explanation for the insane price gouge. Although his stuff has always been way over priced in my opinion. I can understand if his stuff was made here but it's made overseas like many other reputable brands that don't ask nearly as much for their products. And quite frankly have a longer history , bigger following and better reputation among riders.

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#7 2021-05-19 5:49am

justlive

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Smart man Kurt. Unfortunately I bought the TS a few years back. Nice idea but poor execution.

#8 2021-05-19 5:55am

givebloodridebmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Never heard of them.....hmm

KEEP GIVING BLOOD

#9 2021-05-19 6:01am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 11

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Well then you have already won....

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stipidity.

Free parts equals a Corvette

#10 2021-05-19 6:01am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Bikes: 4

justlive wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:

I actually just want to hear his explanation for the insane price gouge. Although his stuff has always been way over priced in my opinion. I can understand if his stuff was made here but it's made overseas like many other reputable brands that don't ask nearly as much for their products. And quite frankly have a longer history , bigger following and better reputation among riders.

whats the price now?

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stipidity.

Free parts equals a Corvette

#11 2021-05-19 6:02am

John De Bruin
Pro Member
For Sale: 4
Website

justlive wrote:

I can understand if his stuff was made here...

The cranks are made here.

I guess the thread is done already. lol

#12 2021-05-19 6:03am

BMX3353
Pro Member

justlive wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:

Well said. I too would like to hear his explanation. But as we saw in the Skyway thread, companies are selective in their responses and replies.

#13 2021-05-19 6:10am

racerbvd
Pro MemberThe Catman
Bikes: 13

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Your loss, my Cruiser is a sweet ride, fun well balanced and maintains a proper vintage look.  I'd run the modern version of the cranks on my 85 Trick Star if I didn't still have Flites from BITD for it, that I picked up in the 80s.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/23382/20210501_09073660a50e4932.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/23382/20210501_09073060a50e4934.jpg

Byron  30+ year PCA member
Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

#14 2021-05-19 6:11am

BMX3353
Pro Member

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

John, I don't know you. You could be the nicest guy in the world. But this response is incomplete. If you just answered why the price is what it is without smiley faces, people might have more respect for your company/brand. If it truly is just price gouging, just say so. Own it.

Last edited by BMX3353 (2021-05-19 6:11am)

#15 2021-05-19 6:20am

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
For Sale: 3

must resist lol

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#16 2021-05-19 6:25am

playtoyregal
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Instead of the flippers making money on his products, maybe John decided he wanted to make the money himself.

#17 2021-05-19 6:29am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
Website

Ok, I know the topic of JDB is touchy for a lot of you but here is my two cents:

I met John years ago and he seemed to be a decent person with a passion for the Hutch brand.  All good.

The way the free market economy works is businesses will charge as much for a product in demand as the market will allow.  If Hutch cranks cost a million dollars and people paid that amount, then a million dollars is the right price.  If people won't pay that amount, then the price will be lowered or the business will fail.  John knows this and that is how he chooses to run his business.  If he lowered the price to $150 per crankset, people would buy them and not complain.

Bottom line, if you don't like the price, business practice or person, nobody is forcing you to give your money to Hutch.  Arguing over this makes as much sense as arguing over what flavor of ice cream is the best.  We all have our preferences.

Last edited by pwh4130 (2021-05-19 6:29am)

ride your bike until it breaks.

#18 2021-05-19 6:32am

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
Bikes: 97

racerbvd wrote:

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Your loss, my Cruiser is a sweet ride, fun well balanced and maintains a proper vintage look.  I'd run the modern version of the cranks on my 85 Trick Star if I didn't still have Flites from BITD for it, that I picked up in the 80s.https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 0e4932.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 0e4934.jpg

Explain to me how it’s my loss for choosing not to purchase some thing that I don’t want or don’t need, or probably never will? I really don’t understand how that could be my loss. It would be more my loss if I chose to purchase it and spent money on some thing I didn’t want or need.

#19 2021-05-19 6:41am

BMX3353
Pro Member

pwh4130 wrote:

Ok, I know the topic of JDB is touchy for a lot of you but here is my two cents:

I met John years ago and he seemed to be a decent person with a passion for the Hutch brand.  All good.

The way the free market economy works is businesses will charge as much for a product in demand as the market will allow.  If Hutch cranks cost a million dollars and people paid that amount, then a million dollars is the right price.  If people won't pay that amount, then the price will be lowered or the business will fail.  John knows this and that is how he chooses to run his business.  If he lowered the price to $150 per crankset, people would buy them and not complain.

Bottom line, if you don't like the price, business practice or person, nobody is forcing you to give your money to Hutch.  Arguing over this makes as much sense as arguing over what flavor of ice cream is the best.  We all have our preferences.

This is all true. It's just unfortunate that we can't hear this directly from him.
If a Ford truck costs $100,000 compared to an equally equipped Chevy or Ram at say $40,000 wouldn't you be curious as to why? (JDB isn't an eBay flipper. He is selling a Brand same as Redline or Mongoose)

#20 2021-05-19 6:45am

pwh4130
Pro Member
Bikes: 8
Website

BMX3353 wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

This is all true. It's just unfortunate that we can't hear this directly from him.
If a Ford truck costs $100,000 compared to an equally equipped Chevy or Ram at say $40,000 wouldn't you be curious as to why? (JDB isn't an eBay flipper. He is selling a Brand same as Redline or Mongoose)

I don't understand why people hold John's feet to the fire to admit this.  This is the way the business world works.  If you want to hold an owner to explain their business model the ire should be directed at drug companies or the Walton family.

ride your bike until it breaks.

#21 2021-05-19 6:47am

mroze1
Pro Member

BMX3353 wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

Try asking Ford, Chevy or RAM why their products cost so much.  And have seem to have gone up recently.

bmxmuseum.com - Home of the speculative argument.

#22 2021-05-19 6:51am

Ryan_QL
Pro Member
For Sale: 1

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

You may be the nicest guy in the world but every time I see you reply on here you come off arrogant and rude.

#23 2021-05-19 6:56am

BMX3353
Pro Member

pwh4130 wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

I don't understand why people hold John's feet to the fire to admit this.  This is the way the business world works.  If you want to hold an owner to explain their business model the ire should be directed at drug companies or the Walton family.

Are you a spokesperson for Hutch/JDB?

#24 2021-05-19 6:57am

mroze1
Pro Member

Ryan_QL wrote:

John De Bruin wrote:

justlive wrote:

You may be the nicest guy in the world but every time I see you reply on here you come off arrogant and rude.

In John's defense, if I were him I would also keep my response short.  Long enough to let you know I listen to customer feedback.  But short enough to not have something I say be taken out of context or misquoted.  Despite people trying to make this place something else, for now it's still America.  A small business owner has the right to make his own financial decisions and say or say not what he wants.  Maybe folks here would like to live in another country.

#25 2021-05-19 7:09am

mroze1
Pro Member

BMX3353 wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

BMX3353 wrote:

Are you a spokesperson for Hutch/JDB?

How long have you been opposed to American Capitalism?

Board footer