You are not logged in.

Are the ridiculous prices driving you out of the hobby?

#26 2021-03-13 9:15am

givebloodridebmx
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Re: Are the ridiculous prices driving you out of the hobby?

I dont really look at old skool or mid skool stuff to buy. I mean, I wouldnt have even built up the 2008 yellow DIRTBIKE if I didnt have a bunch of parts laying around from trying different stuff out. Some of yall got some nice stuff collecting dust though. If I aint gonna ride it, I dont need it. Sure as hell aint gonna spend 1500 on a 25 year old bike, when I can build a bad ass one for that. If I totaled what I got in the ATF LTD build, I would say its close to 1300.

KEEP GIVING BLOOD

#27 2021-03-13 9:16am

capt.shred
Pro Member
Bikes: 46
For Sale: 5

Nobody is buying that stuff.

#28 2021-03-13 9:17am

AlurencatBMX
Pro MemberLimey Bastard
Bikes: 13

You just gotta be patient man. Well, in the UK at least.

I just got a real good price on a mid school FIT.

Limb by Limb we are gon cut dem down,
send fi the hacksaw, take out de tongue.

#29 2021-03-13 9:21am

Busty 123
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

I Have to agree its no fun trying to complete a build now it takes forever prices are just stupid now even for some re-pop parts would love to have done another Trickstar no chance now just enjoying what I have now smile

#30 2021-03-13 9:23am

FU
Pro Member
Bikes: 4

It depends on which part of the hobby you participate in.
Given no one rides for free, if you wish to ride or have a BMX, one can do so for fairly cheaply.
I got a Sunday AM for $80, just needs HP tires for a man -child, but could be enjoyed by a child as is. smile
If you, or your kid, MUST have a period correct, OS school build of a now collectable bike in better than average condition, the price of admission
is currently very prohibitive. sad

Duck, Duck, There goes your ad revenue! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I would just like to say that I apologize. For absolutely nothing at all. HA HA HA

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#31 2021-03-13 9:37am

king stinger
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 3

Nope,prices on Original stuff is fine,it is all the reproduction stuff that could drive me out,to much and prices are way high for what they are.Those New SE bikes bring as much as the old SE bikes or even more for some of the Big Rippers.

#32 2021-03-13 9:41am

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFrank The Gangsta
For Sale: 2

king stinger wrote:

Nope,prices on Original stuff is fine,it is all the reproduction stuff that could drive me out,to much and prices are way high for what they are.Those New SE bikes bring as much as the old SE bikes or even more for some of the Big Rippers.

This is certainly the largest factor in the turn off.

R.h.e.c

#33 2021-03-13 9:42am

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4

Guys, I know it’s sacrilegious but try riding other kinds of bike (MTB, DJ, Road..) They are devoid of these collector greed. I recently built a carbon MTB and I was SHOCKED to see how relatively cheap the prices are compared to old school BMX. A brand new high end carbon crankset goes for $300, compare that to $1500 JDB cranks! In the mtb scene, I don’t see a lot of people craving old school stuff like we do with BMX. Most MTBrs want new tech, and more focused on riding than collecting. Give it a try.

-Joe

#34 2021-03-13 9:48am

1986haromaster
Banned

Last edited by 1986haromaster (2021-03-13 10:07am)

#35 2021-03-13 9:48am

justlive
Remember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 14

Spintech wrote:

Guys, I know it’s sacrilegious but try riding other kinds of bike (MTB, DJ, Road..) They are devoid of these collector greed. I recently built a carbon MTB and I was SHOCKED to see how relatively cheap the prices are compared to old school BMX. A brand new high end carbon crankset goes for $300, compare that to $1500 JDB cranks! In the mtb scene, I don’t see a lot of people craving old school stuff like we do with BMX. Most MTBrs want new tech, and more focused on riding than collecting. Give it a try.

Spot on! I've slowly been moving in that direction as of late. Basically just trying to educate myself more before I pull the trigger on something.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#36 2021-03-13 9:56am

ConcreteTrash

Not knocking it but I will always feel at home on a 20" bmx and a 20" bmx only. I've had 24s, 26s, MTBs, etc.  Cant get on board.

Last edited by ConcreteTrash (2021-03-13 9:57am)

R.h.e.c

#37 2021-03-13 9:58am

WinstonSmith
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

ConcreteTrash wrote:

There is a great "for instance" in the for sale section currently. Prob many. But I have a huge problem with seeing JDB hutch pad sets being listed at $150 when they still currently sell for $60 on the website. I'd like to meet someone in person who is trying to sell them for over double what they cost new.

Don’t forget about the nice folks that will sell you a Stranger Things bike at an unbelievable price....”Caveat Emptor” let the buyer beware

“It’s pretty much my favorite animal. It’s like a lion and a tiger mixed… bred for its skills in magic.”

#38 2021-03-13 10:03am

WinstonSmith
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

FU wrote:

It depends on which part of the hobby you participate in.
Given no one rides for free, if you wish to ride or have a BMX, one can do so for fairly cheaply.
I got a Sunday AM for $80, just needs HP tires for a man -child, but could be enjoyed by a child as is. smile
If you, or your kid, MUST have a period correct, OS school build of a now collectable bike in better than average condition, the price of admission
is currently very prohibitive. sad

Well said sir......My journey has come full circle...in 1983 I couldn’t afford a Hutch Pro Star, and in 2021 I can’t afford...well you know smile

“It’s pretty much my favorite animal. It’s like a lion and a tiger mixed… bred for its skills in magic.”

#39 2021-03-13 10:09am

miketfromracine
Pro Member
Bikes: 9

How about the guys who have 100 sets of diacompe 1000s with no where to go, or 50 sets of aerospeeds. Hutch pedals? , dont get me started, "look at me, im an over collector, arent you jealous"?  I ve been collecting hotwheels since i was 8 y o. I have thousands, but thats different:rolleyes:

Newbie...
No front brakes, except for freestyle.
Adjust your seat and bars, so it looks like you actually ride.
Use cruiser bars on cruisers.
No laybacks on cruisers either, jeez.

#40 2021-03-13 10:14am

ConcreteTrash

miketfromracine wrote:

How about the guys who have 100 sets of diacompe 1000s with no where to go, or 50 sets of aerospeeds. Hutch pedals? , dont get me started, "look at me, im an over collector, arent you jealous"?  I ve been collecting hotwheels since i was 8 y o. I have thousands, but thats different:rolleyes:

Dont forget that JDB pedals are now being listed right HERE for $500 and up by these tools. Just wait for the next run. I cant even think of a half decent reason to pay $200 or more over what they cost.

R.h.e.c

#41 2021-03-13 10:16am

ConcreteTrash

And the dudes spending $20 on poorly made mallet blanks, painting them, slapping a GT decal on the face and calling them repops. For $100-$120. You guys are awesome! roll

R.h.e.c

#42 2021-03-13 10:19am

Vert Ripper
Pro MemberHigh Plains Drifter
Bikes: 12

I stopped building. Been spending my money on my vintage audio set up. People are asking crazy inflated prices. I can’t even find any cruisers I’d be willing spend money on. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve actually considered selling my bikes while the prices are so high, and buying a classic car.

I just refuse to buy high. Similar to the housing market. We love our house, but we’re ready for something bigger with a pool and we’ll turn our place into a rental. But I’ll be dammed if overpay. It’s not going to happen. I’ll wait it out. It’s all about the long game.

A wise man once said:
“Bees don’t waste their time explaining to flies that honey is better than shit”

#43 2021-03-13 10:34am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 86

justlive wrote:

I haven't been on here much lately in the last year. Partly because I've been preoccupied with other things but mostly because the high prices on things just took the fun away from the hobby. I still like to ride but I've always loved building as well. That's what kept things fresh for me all these years. But the prices people are asking on this stuff is beyond ridiculous. Now I know all the sayings about if you don't want to pay what someone is asking then you don't have to buy it, or everyone is entitled to ask what they want,  blah blah blah. I don't even think it's that though. I think for the most part guys are just throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks. I mean prices on frames and completes is just insane. Even before Covid. If anything I think people are taking advantage of Covid and the limited supply of new stuff available and asking even more ridiculous prices for the old/used stuff. It's not that I can't afford it but why would I want to spend $2900 on an 89' GT Performer? Or $2500 on a 2016 Master? Etc. I think my time is just about up in this hobby.

if you have made friends here. they still sell at fare price to friends. more sick of the people crying to modes getting post or hole threads deleted/ locked down. when there but hurt over something posted up. do not like it? plenty of other threads to visit on here.roll

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#44 2021-03-13 10:35am

stin1
Pro Member

I thought that after the tax season came I would get some flight 401s at reasonable prices. Then the $600 unemployment kicked in and everything soared. Prices still haven’t gone down. It sucks . Bike has been sitting assembled minus cranks and a bottom bracket for about two years.

#45 2021-03-13 10:38am

ConcreteTrash

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

justlive wrote:

I haven't been on here much lately in the last year. Partly because I've been preoccupied with other things but mostly because the high prices on things just took the fun away from the hobby. I still like to ride but I've always loved building as well. That's what kept things fresh for me all these years. But the prices people are asking on this stuff is beyond ridiculous. Now I know all the sayings about if you don't want to pay what someone is asking then you don't have to buy it, or everyone is entitled to ask what they want,  blah blah blah. I don't even think it's that though. I think for the most part guys are just throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks. I mean prices on frames and completes is just insane. Even before Covid. If anything I think people are taking advantage of Covid and the limited supply of new stuff available and asking even more ridiculous prices for the old/used stuff. It's not that I can't afford it but why would I want to spend $2900 on an 89' GT Performer? Or $2500 on a 2016 Master? Etc. I think my time is just about up in this hobby.

if you have made friends here. they still sell at fare price to friends. more sick of the people crying to modes getting post or hole threads deleted/ locked down. when there but hurt over something posted up. do not like it? plenty of other threads to visit on here.roll

IRONY

R.h.e.c

#46 2021-03-13 10:41am

1986haromaster
Banned

In all seriousness all the b^tching and moaning instead of bike build threads and bike ride threads is driving me out of the hobby far faster than not being able to get shit at a fair price.

#47 2021-03-13 10:42am

LMW3
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 1

Any hobby can have fluctuations in prices/perceived value just like stocks or cryptos, homes, cars etc. True there are some outrageous asking prices but there are also deals to be had or found. Also helps if you have a network of collector friends that you can do business with or work out trade deals.

Looking for:

-survivor dayglo orange 85/86 Dyno compe

#48 2021-03-13 10:44am

ConcreteTrash

1986haromaster wrote:

In all seriousness all the b^tching and moaning instead of bike build threads and bike ride threads is driving me out of the hobby far faster than not being able to get shit at a fair price.

Most everyone can obviously relate to this. And this topic has been bitched to death around here without results. So yes, on one hand, it's pointless and tiring. On the other hand, I see shit listed by some people who NEED to be called out for it.

R.h.e.c

#49 2021-03-13 10:52am

brackett
AdminThe Maharajah
Bikes: 18
Website

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

justlive wrote:

Funny you keep bitching about us " modes " locking threads when you're just about one more inappropriate pic from getting the whole museum shut down.

I never log off and I had to disable my screen saver because it was causing problems , making me have to restart my computer every time it kicked on. Please keep that in mind if you message me and I don't reply back right away. Thanks.

#50 2021-03-13 10:53am

ConcreteTrash

brackett wrote:

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

justlive wrote:

Funny you keep bitching about us " modes " locking threads when you're just about one more inappropriate pic from getting the whole museum shut down.

I kept my mouth shut about this. Just left it at one word. I remember a disturbing pic. Just sayin

R.h.e.c

Board footer