You are not logged in.

Are the ridiculous prices driving you out of the hobby?

#1 2021-03-13 5:22am

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Signed up: 2009-04-12
Bikes: 14
For Sale: 1

Are the ridiculous prices driving you out of the hobby?

I haven't been on here much lately in the last year. Partly because I've been preoccupied with other things but mostly because the high prices on things just took the fun away from the hobby. I still like to ride but I've always loved building as well. That's what kept things fresh for me all these years. But the prices people are asking on this stuff is beyond ridiculous. Now I know all the sayings about if you don't want to pay what someone is asking then you don't have to buy it, or everyone is entitled to ask what they want,  blah blah blah. I don't even think it's that though. I think for the most part guys are just throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks. I mean prices on frames and completes is just insane. Even before Covid. If anything I think people are taking advantage of Covid and the limited supply of new stuff available and asking even more ridiculous prices for the old/used stuff. It's not that I can't afford it but why would I want to spend $2900 on an 89' GT Performer? Or $2500 on a 2016 Master? Etc. I think my time is just about up in this hobby.

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#2 2021-03-13 5:37am

ConcreteTrash
Pro MemberFrank The Gangsta
Signed up: 2019-06-16
Bikes: 5

Re: Are the ridiculous prices driving you out of the hobby?

Yep. As far as building and selling goes. Pretty much done with both. I'll just continue to search for survivors outside of the museum. The hunt is still fun.

Last edited by ConcreteTrash (2021-03-13 5:38am)

Freshour, Mongoose, GT, Dyno, Kuwahara, Free Agent, Schwinn.

#3 2021-03-13 5:52am

justlive

ConcreteTrash wrote:

Yep. As far as building and selling goes. Pretty much done with both. I'll just continue to search for survivors outside of the museum. The hunt is still fun.

Yeah, hopefully you have better luck where you're at. That $2900 Performer I mentioned was on my local Marketplace roll

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#4 2021-03-13 5:59am

ConcreteTrash

justlive wrote:

ConcreteTrash wrote:

Yeah, hopefully you have better luck where you're at. That $2900 Performer I mentioned was on my local Marketplace roll

I see some crazy prices in the local ads but every once in awhile I'm able to grab something at a realistic and fun price. I haven't lost all hope or interest. Just refuse to pay 2 grand for a Dyno Nitro.

#5 2021-03-13 6:18am

justlive

ConcreteTrash wrote:

justlive wrote:

ConcreteTrash wrote:

I see some crazy prices in the local ads but every once in awhile I'm able to grab something at a realistic and fun price. I haven't lost all hope or interest. Just refuse to pay 2 grand for a Dyno Nitro.

Lol right. The prices on Dynos kill me lol. And the 90s era GTs.

Last edited by justlive (2021-03-13 6:19am)

#6 2021-03-13 6:22am

ConcreteTrash

I have no problem with Dyno. Owned a few and still do. But, all of them combined aren't worth what I see some people asking for one.

#7 2021-03-13 7:19am

doomchild
Expert
Signed up: 2009-05-10

I’m a collector, for me my collection has tripled in price, over the last year. That’s absolutely useless for me. I don’t sell, I buy. The past 12 months or so, have been the most boring, since I started 13/14 years ago. Everything is 3 or 4 times the price it was last year. For collecting NOT good.
I’ve always said that if in 10 years time, it’s all worth nothing, I don’t care. It’s been a blast getting here.
Better spent hanging it on my wall, than pissing it up against a wall, in my local pub.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/29229/image604cd7da0d.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/29229/image604cd7f797.jpg

“ Beneath A Mantle Of Majesty “

#8 2021-03-13 7:19am

justlive

1986haromaster wrote:

Down with OP for sure, it's been a short journey for me trying to get back. A couple managed to get built but now I can't justify building anything, even NS sh&* is hard to justify. I keep passing on 10 year old NS FRAME ONLY for more than a brand new complete from the same brand.

It's really a shame but I think greed is going to kill this hobby eventually. It's already a small niche and the guys who are hoping to cash out with their outrageous prices I think missed the boat. Many of us that grew up in the 80s are now approaching 50 or already there. We've built all the bikes we either owned or wanted as kids. Now as we're getting older priorities have changed and for many of us spending $3000 to build a 35yr old bicycle isn't one of them. Nit to mention all the retros that have been made the last several years gave us an affordable alternative. But now those are even getting out of hand.

#9 2021-03-13 7:22am

justlive

doomchild wrote:

I’m a collector, for me my collection has tripled in price, over the last year. That’s absolutely useless for me. I don’t sell, I buy. The past 12 months or so, have been the most boring, since I started 13/14 years ago. Everything is 3 or 4 times the price it was last year. For collecting NOT good.
I’ve always said that if in 10 years time, it’s all worth nothing, I don’t care. It’s been a blast getting here.
Better spent hanging it on my wall, than pissing it up against a wall, in my local pub.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … d7da0d.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … d7f797.jpg

Very impressive collection. I'm all for collecting. I would love to own a couple just to hold onto for nostalgia sake and pass down to kids, grand kids one day. But at these prices it just doesn't make sense for me.

#10 2021-03-13 7:35am

Atrains89
Pro Member
Signed up: 2018-10-13
Website

I feel the same way and I was going to build another project, a 1987 GT PFT Team model based on the lavender bike in the catalog. I had some really nice parts too. Frame set, OGK’s, power series cranks, NOS power disc, NOS chain ring, NOS chain ring bolts, mint ‘86 mallet stem, NOS real GT gyro cables (not the odyssey versions), a mint 9/10 ‘87 seat, NoS gyro. Then I decided I’ll never recoup my money in a complete bike and this hobby is out of control. So I sold off everything for that build. All gone.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/256245/388a3096-206e-4b19-81c3-30c483aa7f41604cdb7815.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/256245/2e0f6490-2be0-424c-a42b-9113be771c8b604cdb784f.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/256245/3d9bddf7-247c-4844-b4e6-edded9ddd55d604cdb77ba.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/256245/6d422a06-df38-4dd6-b5ac-743bbdbbef4e604cdb78a8.jpeg
[img]C2A4A0A7-4A7F-40D5-AFD1-6FDBE18B860C.jpeg uploading ...[/img]
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/256245/be3e2b77-6b69-4ffc-b436-ad6bbe8a8f42604cdb7902.jpeg

Just some of the build parts before I sold them.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/256245/32d84a58-f04c-4774-bffe-063058f2c3e760496157e3.jpeg

Ludicrous prices right now.

Atrains89

I don’t care what you say....Day Glo pink is for men!

#11 2021-03-13 7:39am

Ryan_QL
Pro Member
Signed up: 2017-09-01
Bikes: 2

I can’t believe some/most of the prices I see on the raffle pages.

#12 2021-03-13 7:41am

ConcreteTrash

Ryan_QL wrote:

I can’t believe some/most of the prices I see on the raffle pages.

Partly to blame. Everyone seen the shit going on there and their heads nearly exploded with greed.

#13 2021-03-13 7:43am

justlive

Atrains89 wrote:

I feel the same way and I was going to build another project, a 1987 GT PFT Team model based on the lavender bike in the catalog. I had some really nice parts too. Frame set, OGK’s, power series cranks, NOS power disc, NOS chain ring, NOS chain ring bolts, mint ‘86 mallet stem, NOS real GT gyro cables (not the odyssey versions), a mint 9/10 ‘87 seat, NoS gyro. Then I decided I’ll never recoup my money in a complete bike and this hobby is out of control. So I sold off everything for that build. All gone.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b7815.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b784f.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b77ba.jpeg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b78a8.jpeg
C2A4A0A7-4A7F-40D5-AFD1-6FDBE18B860C.jpeg uploading ...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … b7902.jpeg

Just some of the build parts before I sold them.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 157e3.jpeg

Ludicrous prices right now.

Atrains89

That's too bad man. You had some nice parts there.

#14 2021-03-13 7:48am

justlive

I remember just a couple years ago you could still find the 2016 DMC framesets going for $500. Now I'm looking for one and some guys are asking over a grand. One guy was asking $2500. Now I understand supply and demand but to me that's just ridiculous. I'm all for a guy making a profit but how much is too much before it just becomes so insulting that it just turns you off completely from the hobby?

#15 2021-03-13 7:53am

gpena78
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-07-07
Bikes: 1

I agree justlive.
And then if your kids are involved, even more expensive! I'm glad i got my stable of mid-school gt bikes before i became a father of 4. Now each of my kids have a bike that i gave to them for their bdays.
Now its just maintenance on the bikes & enjoying the ride!

Ryde Now, Ryde Later, Ryde 2morrow, Ryde 4ever!!!!!!!!

#16 2021-03-13 8:11am

Deimos666
Pro Member
Signed up: 2015-07-13

Not really effecting me as I don’t buy much or don’t want to spend the money on an upgrade that isn’t really going to make much functional difference. I don’t need to be constantly buying / building to enjoy it. Honestly before crazy prices most of what I wanted was out of my price range or "I don't really need it", now it is WAY out of my price range, lol. Did want to get a set of used chrome Profiles as I have never had any after all these years and wanted to setup an ELF frame I have for racing at the track, but even the crappy looking ones, rusty, pitted, dented were more than I expected. I’m mainly here to see cool BMX stuff / chat and that alone is enough for me.

#17 2021-03-13 8:30am

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP
Signed up: 2010-06-21
Bikes: 24

I feel you, brother.  Unless we’re riding or don’t care how much we have to spend to get what we want, now is definitely the time to find other things to do.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#18 2021-03-13 8:32am

ConcreteTrash

There is a great "for instance" in the for sale section currently. Prob many. But I have a huge problem with seeing JDB hutch pad sets being listed at $150 when they still currently sell for $60 on the website. I'd like to meet someone in person who is trying to sell them for over double what they cost new.

#19 2021-03-13 8:47am

justlive

perront wrote:

I feel you, brother.  Unless we’re riding or don’t care how much we have to spend to get what we want, now is definitely the time to find other things to do.

Amen.

#20 2021-03-13 8:49am

justlive

ConcreteTrash wrote:

There is a great "for instance" in the for sale section currently. Prob many. But I have a huge problem with seeing JDB hutch pad sets being listed at $150 when they still currently sell for $60 on the website. I'd like to meet someone in person who is trying to sell them for over double what they cost new.

Yep. Same with the Hutch grips I've noticed in the past.

#21 2021-03-13 9:12am

Jamoranger3
Pro MemberDeaf Dude
Signed up: 2015-05-31
Bikes: 59

Everything rising tho. I bought my Syclone in 2013 for $4,500 with just 69k miles. Now you won’t find one for $4,500. There is $10,000 not running Syclone and for running, $20k and up.  It’s only 1991..... so yeah everything rising.

JAMMY's GT/Dyno

#22 2021-03-13 9:15am

givebloodridebmx
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-10-19

I dont really look at old skool or mid skool stuff to buy. I mean, I wouldnt have even built up the 2008 yellow DIRTBIKE if I didnt have a bunch of parts laying around from trying different stuff out. Some of yall got some nice stuff collecting dust though. If I aint gonna ride it, I dont need it. Sure as hell aint gonna spend 1500 on a 25 year old bike, when I can build a bad ass one for that. If I totaled what I got in the ATF LTD build, I would say its close to 1300.

KEEP GIVING BLOOD

#23 2021-03-13 9:16am

capt.shred
Pro Member
Signed up: 2006-04-28
Bikes: 47
For Sale: 3

Nobody is buying that stuff.

#24 2021-03-13 9:17am

AlurencatBMX
Pro MemberLimey Bastard
Signed up: 2010-04-09
Bikes: 16

You just gotta be patient man. Well, in the UK at least.

I just got a real good price on a mid school FIT.

When routine bites hard and ambitions are low
And resentment rides high but emotions won't grow
And we're changing our ways, taking different roads
Love, love will tear us apart again

"Do not think we don't have eyes. We can see" - Dickhole Bipolar, 2021.

#25 2021-03-13 9:21am

Busty 123
Pro Member
Signed up: 2014-01-18
Bikes: 10

I Have to agree its no fun trying to complete a build now it takes forever prices are just stupid now even for some re-pop parts would love to have done another Trickstar no chance now just enjoying what I have now smile

Board footer