You are not logged in.

Tioga to Discontinue (All Black Sidewall) Comp III tires

#1 2021-03-01 8:57pm

dcoors30
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

Tioga to Discontinue (All Black Sidewall) Comp III tires

Been looking to get some new Comp III's(black sidewall) for my Nieces new race rig and my Retro CW.

Needed two 20 x 1.75 tires for her bike, lucked out by getting the last one at Planet BMX and Dan's Comp.

When looking for a 20 x 2.125 and a 20 x 1.75 in all Black sidewall for the CW there was nothing at the usual go to online shops.  eBay had some from Australian sellers but not going that route for now.  Sold out everywhere.

During the online search there were a few bikes shops online stating the Tioga Comp III tires are “Soon to be no longer available” or discontinued online.  Was not too happy when I saw this as I race on Comp III tires as well.  Switched from Powerblocks to Comp III's a few years ago.

So I emailed Tioga to see if the UNTHINKABLE - Discontinuing Comp III's was true.

Here is Tioga's response:

Partially true.  The Tioga Comp III is now only available in tan skinwall (the all black version has been discontinued).  For racing, have you tried our Powerblock or FASTR series tires? 

Tioga   

Told them I hope they reconsider their decision and continue to make the all Black sidewall Comp III's as I'm sure there will be other riders who feel the same once the word gets out..etc

Would still get the Tan sidewall Comp III tires if there's no other choice but much rather the Black sidewall.

Here is Tioga's USA's email, maybe we can persuade them to keep the Black sidewall Comp III tire if they hear from enough of us..

info@tiogausa.com

"Get back to what it is that drives you.." - Buckcherry

Proud Teamster!

2016 Eastern Regional Gold Cup Champion, #1 Ranking   41-45 Novice Class

Current: 46-50 Intermediate Class

#2 2021-03-01 9:00pm

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

Re: Tioga to Discontinue (All Black Sidewall) Comp III tires

dcoors30 wrote:

Been looking to get some new Comp III's(black sidewall) for my Nieces new race rig and my Retro CW.

Needed two 20 x 1.75 tires for her bike, lucked out by getting the last one at Planet BMX and Dan's Comp.

When looking for a 20 x 2.125 and a 20 x 1.75 in all Black sidewall for the CW there was nothing at the usual go to online shops.  eBay had some from Australian sellers but not going that route for now.  Sold out everywhere.

During the online search there were a few bikes shops online stating the Tioga Comp III tires are “Soon to be no longer available” or discontinued online.  Was not too happy when I saw this as I race on Comp III tires as well.  Switched from Powerblocks to Comp III's a few years ago.

So I emailed Tioga to see if the UNTHINKABLE - Discontinuing Comp III's was true.

Partially true.  The Tioga Comp III is now only available in tan skinwall (the all black version has been discontinued).  For racing, have you tried our Powerblock or FASTR series tires? 

Tioga   

Told them I hope they reconsider their decision and continue to make the all Black sidewall Comp III's as I'm sure there will be other riders who feel the same once the word gets out..etc

Would still get the Tan sidewall Comp III tires if there's no other choice but much rather the Black sidewall.

Here is Tioga's USA's email, maybe we can persuade them to keep the Black sidewall Comp III tire if they hear from enough of us..

info@tiogausa.com

I'm good with tan walls, more companies need to offer them this way. All black tires look like crap to me.

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

This too shall pass.

The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry.

#3 2021-03-01 9:46pm

Minx20
Pro Member
Bikes: 34
For Sale: 17

eric12 wrote:

dcoors30 wrote:

Tioga   

info@tiogausa.com

I'm good with tan walls, more companies need to offer them this way. All black tires look like crap to me.

+1

#4 2021-03-01 10:06pm

Newer England
Intermediate
Bikes: 2

I like the black sidewalls and tan sidewalls. Sorry to see the black is out.

#5 2021-03-01 10:14pm

Team3d
Pro MemberFKX Racing
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 17

i like both colors, but skin wall looks better... only some os build looks good all black...

i believe the decision is also due to lack of sales on all black and the popularity of the skin wall comp 3

Gt

#6 2021-03-01 10:52pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation
Bikes: 9

Back when I bought these they didn't even offer a skinwall.  I'll change them out for skinwalls eventually.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/210143/023603de10537.jpg

Last edited by WalkerInTN (2021-03-01 10:54pm)

#7 2021-03-01 11:56pm

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 6

Minx20 wrote:

eric12 wrote:

dcoors30 wrote:

Tioga   

info@tiogausa.com

+1

Agreed 100% never ran all black comp III’s until the middle/later 90’s..I would never run them on a CW that bike would have had tan walls...now a 96 DK Pro XL..yep black walls..

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81 and never on a cruiser for God’s sake
Let me guess you were factory sponsored in
the 80’s...
Please no colored tires on race bikes...
So how many years were you a Pro....
You knew a guy that had a Mongoose that weighed 12 pounds
What year did you mix it up with Stu?
Thinking about going 22”....do it...

#8 2021-03-02 12:08am

HempKnight
Expert

Try some Schwalbe 'Mad Mike' tyres, if you can get them in the states, good quality black sidewall comp 3 tread wink

#9 2021-03-02 12:15am

racerbvd
Pro MemberThe Catman
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 10

I like the all black cool

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/23382/20201128_140259603df3f048.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/23382/img_20190205_213400_570603df3eec0.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/23382/img_20181229_151619_639603df3f0b6.jpg

Byron  30+ year PCA member
Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

#10 2021-03-02 4:42am

suttercane
Pro Member

I'm also a fan of the all-black Comp III's.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243979/mongoose-2021602397ab3e.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/243979/img_79055f0bb69b7a.jpg

#11 2021-03-02 5:10am

Deimos666
Pro Member

Seems odd they would drop the all black. I like both, but the all black are pretty nice.

#12 2021-03-02 6:27am

playtoyregal
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

I like both as well, but I think my old school race bikes look better with tan. Not enough people must but the black ones i guess.

#13 2021-03-02 7:05am

Mich BMX
Pro MemberNo Lie!
Bikes: 8
For Sale: 6

Tan wall Old School...Black Wall Mid School

Please.....no Tuff Wheels on full on race bikes...original graphite’s only and pre 81 and never on a cruiser for God’s sake
Let me guess you were factory sponsored in
the 80’s...
Please no colored tires on race bikes...
So how many years were you a Pro....
You knew a guy that had a Mongoose that weighed 12 pounds
What year did you mix it up with Stu?
Thinking about going 22”....do it...

#14 2021-03-02 7:26am

racerbvd
Pro MemberThe Catman
For Sale: 10

Black Walls Matter big_smile
Someone had to say it.

Last edited by racerbvd (2021-03-02 7:26am)

Byron  30+ year PCA member
Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

#15 2021-03-02 7:41am

AlurencatBMX
Pro MemberLimey Bastard
Bikes: 14

I'd be surprised if any modern racer used Comp III tbh. Most tracks these days are pretty much concrete, so I don't know why you would sacrifice grip.

So yeah, I can see why they stopped making the black wall. The tan wall will sell to the old school lot but I can't see a big market for the black ones. Plus I guess they would know best based on sales.

Limb by Limb we are gon cut dem down,
send fi the hacksaw, take out de tongue.

#16 2021-03-02 8:03am

Brian Hays
Pro Member
Bikes: 36

racerbvd wrote:

Someone had to say it.

Damnit!! Beat me to it. cool

Kenda still makes blackwall Comp 3's.

QUOTE:
"For racing, have you tried our Powerblock or FASTR series tires? "

These tires they mention are great if you are on a hard packed track with asphalt berms but ya, if you are on a looser dirt track, the smooth tires are like riding on ice.

Proudly racing for Ace Bike Shop in Springfield IL.
http://acebicycleshop.com

I live for Race Inc, SE Racing, Navajo, Nomura, GHP and Prodyne OLD SCHOOL!!!LOVE CHASE BMX, GHP, SUPERCROSS and SE new school race bikes as well!!

#17 2021-03-02 8:28am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

BRIAN HAYS wrote:

Kenda still makes blackwall Comp 3's.

QUOTE:

These tires they mention are great if you are on a hard packed track with asphalt berms but ya, if you are on a looser dirt track, the smooth tires are like riding on ice.

My local track, no SoilTac or paving in sight after the starting hill.  Running a Vee Speedster in the back, Kenda K-RAD up front.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/80817/seatac-2020-05-17b602876cb43.jpg

Last edited by Gylles Smyth (2021-03-02 8:28am)

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

#18 2021-03-02 8:47am

AlurencatBMX
Pro MemberLimey Bastard
Bikes: 14

Yeah I'd rather lose the rear end lol

Limb by Limb we are gon cut dem down,
send fi the hacksaw, take out de tongue.

#19 2021-03-02 9:04am

Newer England
Intermediate

BRIAN HAYS wrote:

The PowerBlock tires are great all-round tires. On looser dirt, they get a bit squirrelly, so there are better choices.

#20 2021-03-02 9:40am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF

racerbvd wrote:

Someone had to say it.

lollol Waiting on the in house blm squad to pop in and Bitch...

Trust No One

#21 2021-03-02 10:03am

stin1
Pro Member

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

racerbvd wrote:

Someone had to say it.

Dude tioga is being racist and needs to boycotted.

#22 2021-03-02 10:09am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF

stin1 wrote:

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

racerbvd wrote:

Someone had to say it.

Dude tioga is being racist and needs to boycotted.

lollol

Trust No One

#23 2021-03-02 10:22am

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP
Bikes: 24

Cutting costs is cutting costs.  Times are tough.  Thanks for the heads-up, though.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#24 2021-03-02 10:40am

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF

Its Antiquated tech, theyre moving with the times. Racers dont need tractor tread anymore. Tanwalls are lighter.

Trust No One

#25 2021-03-02 10:50am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

AlurencatBMX wrote:

Yeah I'd rather lose the rear end lol

With a rearward biased center of mass, the back tire tends to do alright.  Understeer is the much bigger problem since there's less weight over the front end, thus the common practice of running wider, higher-traction tires up front and narrower tires with less rolling resistance in the back.

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

Board footer