You are not logged in.

S&m Holmes build question.....

#1 2020-12-24 2:12pm

ricksmorris80
Intermediate
Bikes: 5

S&m Holmes build question.....

So I’m building a 95 holmes. I got it from a buddy who rode it as his main bike as a kid. It was laying outside in the elements for many many years and it was in rough shape. I am doing a survivor build keeping it period correct and keeping the cleaned up patina parts that was on it (mostly) lol. I will be changing some parts. It came with brand x titanium three piece forks with a one inch threaded headset. I want to go to Threadless with pitch forks and a red neck. My question is can I just buy a Threadless headset and install it in place of the threaded one? Or is the diameter different? One more question do I have to use 990 brakes or is there other options I can use? Not that I have any problems with it just want to know the limitations. Thanks guys in advance!

#2 2020-12-24 2:18pm

troynlori
AdminShipbikes!
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 144

Re: S&m Holmes build question.....

You cannot, but look on here for sales by member Chatty Matty.  He makes a conversion headset.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#3 2020-12-24 2:21pm

ricksmorris80
Intermediate

So they made different models that were threaded and Threadless in the same year? I see some that were Threadless and some threaded all being 95’s. I’m guessing the later production date models were the Threadless ones?

#4 2020-12-25 7:19pm

erict303
Pro Member
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 13

Yes 95 was the transition year for many companies, so both were produced. There are other conversion methods also but I would use the Chatty Matty one as Troy mentioned.

1987-1990 Mn ABA/NBL
The 80s- when bikes were steel and men were real.
I'm not NOS.
You can't cross thread by hand tightening.
Beware the vultures.

#5 2020-12-27 6:30am

jray02r1
Pro Member
Bikes: 34

I would just run it how it came with a 1" threaded setup.  Its cool to find earlier threaded S&M's anyways

#6 2020-12-27 6:45am

ricksmorris80
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the replies! I haven’t been able to find a for sale post of chatty matty just people saying how good it is lol which I’m sure it is. I think I’m just gonna keep it threaded I guess. Like jray said it’s cool to see the old school ones anyway. I’ll just buy a reproduction pitch fork threaded and a repopulated redneck. It came with a gt piston stem and really cool Castillo bars. They are black and like everything on this bike really rusty. If you guys saw the profile cranks before I spent countless hours on it. I can’t figure out how to post pics from an iPhone but believe me this thing looked hopeless. It sat outside laying on the sprocket side in the mud for many years until I saw it. I’m amazed how well it cleaned up. Just a testament to the original quality of the construction. Wheel choice is racking my brain too, and brakes lol. I’ve been more of old school than mid school. I was 15 when this bike came out and my bike back then was a sweet 88 predator pro with hp 48’s

#7 2020-12-27 6:50am

Agentxxiii
Pro MemberRichy Rich Dude
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 4

The hp 48s would be a great choice on the new ride too.

Time machine wanted!

#8 2020-12-27 6:53am

ricksmorris80
Intermediate

When I got my sweet 84 trans am I stopped riding obviously and sold them for 50$ lol. They’re so expensive now but yeah I’d love to get some for it

Board footer