You are not logged in.

New Race Inc. bringing back the Cook Bros. brand?

#551 2021-08-12 12:27pm

bnd
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-12-13
For Sale: 1
Website

Re: New Race Inc. bringing back the Cook Bros. brand?

Vert Ripper wrote:

RyanPartridge wrote:

spyker wrote:

So what exactly did you do with the brand when you owned it? you have not mentioned it so far,and more than a few others have asked,yet no answer for you.

Selling stickers and shirts don't count either.

Maybe Jack isn't one to boast about his accomplishments with the brand, but since this question keeps getting asked from folks who are convinced Jack purchased CBR and "never did anything with it", as a reader who knows a couple things about the brand's history...I'll answer...

Jack/CBR did a number of innovative things with his brand from 1983/84 to the 25th Anniversary bikes in 2005.
Around 1984, Jack made some pretty rad custom gusseted bikes for a small, but popular bike shop in Texas. Those bikes are quite collectable today.
Around the 84 Olympics, Jack made some over-the-top frames that ran brake cables internally through the frame tubing like some fancy European road frame, I can't think of anyone else doing that in 1984.
He also experimented with frames made out of double butted tubing, which I don't think had been done yet in the BMX industry in 1984.
He designed/manufactured stems that weren't just used on his CBR bikes, he ended up manufacturing them for Salsa and quite a few other early mountain bike brands along with tons of other components. 
In 1987 he manufactured the very first S&M Bikes for Chris Moeller using doubled up welded dropouts for strength, something that CBR had already experimented with years prior.
Through the 1980's and 1990's, Jack's products were tested/developed heavily by the Laguna Rads, an exclusive mountain bike club of which he's a founding member. The Laguna Rads have always consisted of some of the top riders and product developers in the industry. Little is known about them to outsiders but you can find some neat articles online and youtube videos.
Point is, the stuff CBR did also crossed over from BMX to other forms of off-road biking in their early development days.

I'm no biographer/historian but these are just a handful of things off the top of my head that Jack Witmer and CBR did.
Suggesting that he only made stickers & tees is retarded. Like most contributing posts on the internet.

Also, this idea some hold that if an old company chooses not to manufacture product today, than the only logical thing that MUST be done is for it to be taken over by some parasite group to partner with China to make generic labeled boring cookie cutter products for consumption is also...retarded.

This. 100% all of it. Especially the last paragraph.

The fact that another company would legally maneuver to pry the name of this company away from its rightful owner, then make the effing products overseas, is straight up weak af.

+1000.

b.

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

#552 2021-08-12 12:28pm

bnd
Pro Member
Website

Laguna Rads.........as an old schooler
Mt biker myself, there’s a name I haven’t heard in a minute. cool

b.

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

#553 2021-08-24 2:57am

mtbwrxwagon
Pro MemberHello Kitty
Signed up: 2010-05-25
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 80

I just came across this article about who else is behind the company that secured the rights:
https://mbaction.com/box-founder-toby-h … YVHYe4Z4Wg

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51389359233_1ecb83dd5c_m.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site RulesBecome a Pro MemberFor Sale Section Rules

#554 2021-08-24 3:40am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Signed up: 2013-08-26
Bikes: 3

That was discussed on this topic last November. If you are new to this topic I'd give it a read, there are all sorts of twists and turns.

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
It's over Anakin, I have the high ground! -Obi-Wan Kenobi

#555 2021-08-24 4:07am

mtbwrxwagon
Pro MemberHello Kitty
Signed up: 2010-05-25
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 80

Yeah I usually stay away from all sorts of drama on this site, hence I haven’t read every post, but when I saw this pop on my feed and the story was dated yesterday, I thought it related to this thread.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51389359233_1ecb83dd5c_m.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site RulesBecome a Pro MemberFor Sale Section Rules

#556 2021-08-24 6:14am

bnd
Pro Member
Website

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/54248/367c43bc-809f-4cbb-a0ef-0b51d2a07b526124f0a525.jpeg

b.

#557 2021-08-24 1:13pm

Max Volume
Pro Member
Signed up: 2011-11-06
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 12

RyanPartridge wrote:

spyker wrote:

Joaquin Suave wrote:

This has nothing about what you consider is a loss to me! This has to do with you "dissing" me and saying I did nothing with Cook Bros. Racing!

Please tell me why I was such a "failure"?

AGAIN! POST UP OR SHUT UP! BITCH! Or are you going to act like the pompous little ass that you are and "track up" like a Russian circus bear???

So what exactly did you do with the brand when you owned it? you have not mentioned it so far,and more than a few others have asked,yet no answer for you.

Maybe Jack isn't one to boast about his accomplishments with the brand, but since this question keeps getting asked from folks who are convinced Jack purchased CBR and "never did anything with it", as a reader who knows a couple things about the brand's history...I'll answer...

Jack/CBR did a number of innovative things with his brand from 1983/84 to the 25th Anniversary bikes in 2005.
Around 1984, Jack made some pretty rad custom gusseted bikes for a small, but popular bike shop in Texas. Those bikes are quite collectable today.
Around the 84 Olympics, Jack made some over-the-top frames that ran brake cables internally through the frame tubing like some fancy European road frame, I can't think of anyone else doing that in 1984.
He also experimented with frames made out of double butted tubing, which I don't think had been done yet in the BMX industry in 1984.
He designed/manufactured stems that weren't just used on his CBR bikes, he ended up manufacturing them for Salsa and quite a few other early mountain bike brands along with tons of other components. 
In 1987 he manufactured the very first S&M Bikes for Chris Moeller using doubled up welded dropouts for strength, something that CBR had already experimented with years prior.
Through the 1980's and 1990's, Jack's products were tested/developed heavily by the Laguna Rads, an exclusive mountain bike club of which he's a founding member. The Laguna Rads have always consisted of some of the top riders and product developers in the industry. Little is known about them to outsiders but you can find some neat articles online and youtube videos.
Point is, the stuff CBR did also crossed over from BMX to other forms of off-road biking in their early development days.

I'm no biographer/historian but these are just a handful of things off the top of my head that Jack Witmer and CBR did.
Suggesting that he only made stickers & tees is retarded. Like most contributing posts on the internet.

Also, this idea some hold that if an old company chooses not to manufacture product today, then the only logical thing that MUST be done is for the brand name to be taken over by some parasite group to partner with China to make generic labeled boring cookie cutter products for consumption is also...retarded.

cool

#558 2021-09-04 1:41pm

larsvegas43
Pro Member
Signed up: 2008-05-30

New Cook Bros chainrings are now available at Planet BMX. roll
https://www.planetbmx.com/shop/cook-bro … g-red.html

#559 2021-09-04 2:01pm

BirdDog
Pro MemberCOME & TAKE IT
Signed up: 2010-05-21
Bikes: 2

larsvegas43 wrote:

New Cook Bros chainrings are now available at Planet BMX. roll
https://www.planetbmx.com/shop/cook-bro … g-red.html

I noticed that…I bought some for Shitz and Giggles…just to see the quality. Looks nice.

"Everyone who knows the Texans, or who has heard of them, would naturally conclude that they never would submit to be disarmed. Any government that would attempt to disarm its people is despotic; and any people that would submit to it deserves to be slaves!"

#560 2021-09-04 2:04pm

BirdDog
Pro MemberCOME & TAKE IT
Signed up: 2010-05-21

Max Volume wrote:

RyanPartridge wrote:

spyker wrote:

Also, this idea some hold that if an old company chooses not to manufacture product today, then the only logical thing that MUST be done is for the brand name to be taken over by some parasite group to partner with China to make generic labeled boring cookie cutter products for consumption is also...retarded.

cool

Is “retarded” still a word we can use or has that been stripped from the language also? I think it’s retarded if it has been…lol.
JK?

"Everyone who knows the Texans, or who has heard of them, would naturally conclude that they never would submit to be disarmed. Any government that would attempt to disarm its people is despotic; and any people that would submit to it deserves to be slaves!"

#561 2021-09-04 2:13pm

bnd
Pro Member
Website

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/54248/0275f0bb-fd2e-4e36-b7ad-1261565783986133e176ab.jpeg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/54248/8b59e183-932d-4ce8-b246-049c5cbec6ea6133e1e5ad.gif

b.

Last edited by bnd (2021-09-04 2:15pm)

#562 2021-09-05 6:42am

capt.shred
Pro Member
Signed up: 2006-04-28
Bikes: 48
For Sale: 9

I hope they make a frame set.

#563 2021-09-05 1:39pm

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Signed up: 2013-08-26
Bikes: 3

What a joke. Looks like a Porkchop chainring (original $25, now on sale for $15 each). Same made in USA, same 6061. Even almost looks identical. BTW lol 6061 is the future? Best chainrings are 7075 for longer life.

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
It's over Anakin, I have the high ground! -Obi-Wan Kenobi

#564 2021-09-05 1:45pm

domwon650
Pro Member
Signed up: 2020-11-16

brettweir89 wrote:

What a joke. Looks like a Porkchop chainring (original $25, now on sale for $15 each). Same made in USA, same 6061. Even almost looks identical. BTW lol 6061 is the future? Best chainrings are 7075 for longer life.

I was thinking the same thing. I can imagine Billy Mays selling them on an infomercial when reading that pitch.

#565 2021-09-05 1:53pm

BMX3353
Pro Member
Signed up: 2021-01-19

brettweir89 wrote:

Haha. Was thinking same thing. I could not believe the price of these. 4 bolt too which nobody seems to want. And where's the spider? Hobby is getting ridiculous with some of these prices.

#566 2021-09-05 2:53pm

blue78
Pro Member
Signed up: 2009-05-08

BMX3353 wrote:

brettweir89 wrote:

Haha. Was thinking same thing. I could not believe the price of these. 4 bolt too which nobody seems to want. And where's the spider? Hobby is getting ridiculous with some of these prices.

It's getting ridiculous with people thinking that the prices on this kind of stuff are normal and that the stuff is high-end because of the name. This is a good example between Porkchop & Cooks chainrings.

#567 2021-09-05 3:53pm

Fongstar
Pro Member2FONGS don’t make a right..
Signed up: 2015-05-06

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/220230/7d39d0de-2e4d-4086-a18d-7ccce9129c4d61354a641e.gif

If it wasn’t serious. I wouldn’t be doing it.. 
Yin...Be soft kind and loving,..
yang..but also take nobody's shit....
my old man.. open your mind before you open your mouth son...
my mum...be yourself son.. people don't have to like you..and you don't have to care...
Me uncle patt. AarH F@fk em all let the devil sort em out..
me.. I can only be one person at a time.. smile

#568 2021-09-05 4:19pm

BMX3353
Pro Member
Signed up: 2021-01-19

Make fun of Porkchop all you want, but he has the price(s) right.
Seems to me that Cooks and/or Planet failed to do enough market research (if any).
Take a look at Cooks website, 95% of the stuff there says coming soon. So they roll out 4 bolt chainrings (without a spider) and t-shirts first? Ok.

#569 2021-09-05 4:34pm

bnd
Pro Member
Website

I do have to give it up to whoever described the chainring, well done cause it made me laugh.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/54248/da01f902-c1f3-4f27-a225-c3a356bb634e613553d828.jpeg

b.

#570 2021-09-06 1:40pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-02-17
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 2

Like i said on page one,money grab.Put logo on anything and sell.lol

Board footer