You are not logged in.

Prices have skyrocketed

#51 2020-05-29 1:27pm

kidbazooka1
Pro Member
From: Northern California
Registered: 2009-08-14
Posts: 699
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Jamoranger3 wrote:

kidbazooka1 wrote:

JHARJO wrote:

quit crying or GTFO.

It’s not even like that pal relax.

This is a forum and we’re here to discuss anything bmx related.

There already hundred topics about the same topics. Whine about the money.

So then don’t click on this one then.

Offline

 

#52 2020-05-29 1:30pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberReverend of Rad
From: CANADA
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 43340
Bikes: 90
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Skraelos wrote:

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Skraelos wrote:

I can't even build my bike because something always goes wrong... but almost or more then 2grand for an early 90s gt pro performer? thats disgusting....

Did someone buy it at that price?

It would be pretty funny if they did, wouldn't it?

Yep. And then you can blame the idiots that spend the money rather than those who ask for it


[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#53 2020-05-29 2:04pm

efi4eye
Pro MemberHip Hop Head
From: Richmond VA
Registered: 2015-05-03
Posts: 813
Bikes: 4
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

It's funny, if you look at posts from 5+ years ago here people were saying demand for old BMX stuff had reached the apex and was on the way down. Prices were already falling.  People were not recommending it as an investment.  Since then prices have dropped some on certain stuff that was repro'd like Haro stuff, but lots of people still don't want repops so even that still has value. 

I think it's great that lots of the universal parts are available from Porkchop or repros from companies like Haro and GT so you can still build an old school bike cheap, if you're not worried about having original parts or a catalog build.  The problem is people that have major BMX nostalgia also usually have lots of disposable income and they can play the game.  I think lots of us underestimated how long our nostalgia would last

Offline

 

#54 2020-05-29 2:20pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
From: SFV, CA
Registered: 2011-07-26
Posts: 3886
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 2
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

I think the way the FS section is structured is actually contributing to the rising prices. People list a specific price then someone makes an offer at a lower price and the seller accepts, then marks the item sold without changing the price. The next person who lists that item will use that as a reference; perhaps also add shipping fee and you got a price increase. When this happens over and over, you get a rising price trend. The only way to reverse this trend is to list items at a super lower price.. GT parts in particular. Make sure you PM me when you do this. Thanks in advance.


-Joe

Offline

 

#55 2020-05-29 2:29pm

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberThe Professor
Registered: 2017-11-17
Posts: 4563
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

TMS40 wrote:

I’d trade a DX pedal for an AJ Macaroo recipe... a full n satisfied belly is more the worth it. big_smile

I can deal with that....wink


It’s a god damn absolute shame what this once magical place has turned into the last few months.

Offline

 

#56 2020-05-29 3:52pm

Spector007
Vegas VIP
From: Sin City
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 2100
Bikes: 5
Website
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Wow, interesting topic here...I've been out of the game here for a maybe 5-6 years, big price jumps, not good for some, time to get paid for others.  I've heard sides, was a topic then just like it is now, seems to me most things ebb and flow.  Kids pay 1,600$ for a supreme sweater, it's all relative...when I lived on this site years ago, I tried to get my hands on some of the most pristine and high dollar NOS parts that could be found.  I did this for many reasons, but as a collector of art, memorabilia of all types, hell even cannabis genetics they can and are enjoyed for many reasons until the time comes to move on.  Moving on from a piece or collection will come for us all at one point in life, enjoy what you have, when it's lost its luster past it on for another to enjoy.  When a art lover purchase a piece they love and enjoy, they my decide its now time to enjoy a pay day too, even though it might be a passion, lets face it, If I purchase a painting for 2.3 mill and then someone offers me 117million... that shizzle is gone!lol
Same with everything else including bikes...with that said, who needs some high dollar NOS/Minty parts:lol:


Come ride with me on INSTAGRAM: @VegasStyleVip
or Twitter: @Vegas_Style_VIP

Co-Host of the Las Vegas #PODCAST "The Mike and the Mouth show" Going underground to get you the underbelly of the beast!  We take you places in Vegas others won't! Guaranteed to offend!

Offline

 

#57 2020-05-29 6:37pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
From: East Bridgewater MA
Registered: 2014-08-01
Posts: 2523
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Lewis wrote:

ConcreteTrash wrote:

This topic has been beat to death here. And all you'll get in the end is the guys who have an endless amount of money telling you to quit crying or GTFO. Seen it a million times. Guy can't enjoy building his childhood bike/bikes anymore. I have one last build to complete and I'm done as well.

and on and on and on

like the DX pedals on ebay ATM $US 550 where did that price come from???????  that's $826 AU what a bloody joke

like I've said many many many many times before IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL YOUR STUFF LIST IT AT .99 cents then you will find out what its worth.

making up you own ridiculous price is making you a moron in the BMX community

Yeah just add a reserve price to it that's outrageous so you don't risk letting it sell if you don't want to.  Auctions are the truest test of an item's value IMO


Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

Offline

 

#58 2020-05-29 6:43pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
From: East Bridgewater MA
Registered: 2014-08-01
Posts: 2523
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Kurt_Rad wrote:

It’s different for everyone. For me, if something costs too much then I don’t need it. Especially not immediately. I’ll wait or I’ll find something difference that suits my need. The big thing to remember is that everyone bitches about people’s asinine asking prices but asking prices really don’t mean anything. A person can ask any price they want but that won’t guarantee sale. Price will drop until it hits its value...what someone is willing to pay. If the value for certain items high then the value for certain items is high. That is the basic principle that the entire economy was built on here. Yes it’s a hobby but that doesn’t subject value of items to different rules. The government could always step in and start dictating prices for everything...

Nailed it.  Bikes are not a requirement in my day to day life..they don't get my fanny to and from work or pay the mortgage.  So if I can't afford what I want I just hold off. 

I've been selling cars on my own on and off since my teen years and if I had a nickel for every time someone tried grinding my price with "oh well there's this other one selling for XXX or whatever".  Great, then I tell them I've already called that person and know why it's so cheap but do what you want..free market.


Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

Offline

 

#59 2020-05-29 6:44pm

ABA180
Pro MemberCandy Apples
From: East Bridgewater MA
Registered: 2014-08-01
Posts: 2523
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

efi4eye wrote:

It's funny, if you look at posts from 5+ years ago here people were saying demand for old BMX stuff had reached the apex and was on the way down. Prices were already falling.  People were not recommending it as an investment.  Since then prices have dropped some on certain stuff that was repro'd like Haro stuff, but lots of people still don't want repops so even that still has value. 

I think it's great that lots of the universal parts are available from Porkchop or repros from companies like Haro and GT so you can still build an old school bike cheap, if you're not worried about having original parts or a catalog build.  The problem is people that have major BMX nostalgia also usually have lots of disposable income and they can play the game.  I think lots of us underestimated how long our nostalgia would last

Yup.  I wanted Tech 77s for my Predator big time, either way didn't want to use the original levers due to the fact that brake levers are a wear item in my book so I bought repop 77s and they work just fine thank you.


Am I Beast Or Am I Human..Am I Just Like You?

Offline

 

#60 2020-05-29 6:49pm

Blue_Max
Pro Member
Registered: 2008-08-19
Posts: 2077
Bikes: 20
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

ABA180 wrote:

efi4eye wrote:

It's funny, if you look at posts from 5+ years ago here people were saying demand for old BMX stuff had reached the apex and was on the way down. Prices were already falling.  People were not recommending it as an investment.  Since then prices have dropped some on certain stuff that was repro'd like Haro stuff, but lots of people still don't want repops so even that still has value. 

I think it's great that lots of the universal parts are available from Porkchop or repros from companies like Haro and GT so you can still build an old school bike cheap, if you're not worried about having original parts or a catalog build.  The problem is people that have major BMX nostalgia also usually have lots of disposable income and they can play the game.  I think lots of us underestimated how long our nostalgia would last

Yup.  I wanted Tech 77s for my Predator big time, either way didn't want to use the original levers due to the fact that brake levers are a wear item in my book so I bought repop 77s and they work just fine thank you.

Diacomp never stopped making the Tech 77’s, they could be bought anytime from the late 80’s until now. How does that make them repro?

Offline

 

#61 2020-05-29 6:55pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberReverend of Rad
From: CANADA
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 43340
Bikes: 90
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Blue_Max wrote:

ABA180 wrote:

efi4eye wrote:

It's funny, if you look at posts from 5+ years ago here people were saying demand for old BMX stuff had reached the apex and was on the way down. Prices were already falling.  People were not recommending it as an investment.  Since then prices have dropped some on certain stuff that was repro'd like Haro stuff, but lots of people still don't want repops so even that still has value. 

I think it's great that lots of the universal parts are available from Porkchop or repros from companies like Haro and GT so you can still build an old school bike cheap, if you're not worried about having original parts or a catalog build.  The problem is people that have major BMX nostalgia also usually have lots of disposable income and they can play the game.  I think lots of us underestimated how long our nostalgia would last

Yup.  I wanted Tech 77s for my Predator big time, either way didn't want to use the original levers due to the fact that brake levers are a wear item in my book so I bought repop 77s and they work just fine thank you.

Diacomp never stopped making the Tech 77’s, they could be bought anytime from the late 80’s until now. How does that make them repro?

Because they aren’t “era correct”


[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#62 2020-05-29 7:18pm

perront
Pro MemberPolitics Can KISS My ASS
From: 44T HQ, Chicagoland, IL
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 34807
Bikes: 23
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

TMS40 wrote:

I’d trade a DX pedal for an AJ Macaroo recipe... a full n satisfied belly is more the worth it. big_smile

So would I!


44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

Offline

 

#63 2020-05-29 7:22pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Registered: 2007-06-28
Posts: 27258
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

TMS40 wrote:

I think he means those who “score” then price “inquire” then  flip in the for sale section 20 mins later. Those who hang around are the enthusiasts. (And the cooks) big_smile

+1


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#64 2020-05-29 7:25pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Registered: 2007-06-28
Posts: 27258
Bikes: 83
For Sale: 1
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Blue_Max wrote:

ABA180 wrote:


Yup.  I wanted Tech 77s for my Predator big time, either way didn't want to use the original levers due to the fact that brake levers are a wear item in my book so I bought repop 77s and they work just fine thank you.

Diacomp never stopped making the Tech 77’s, they could be bought anytime from the late 80’s until now. How does that make them repro?

Because they aren’t “era correct”

yup date stamp of when they were made / sold new


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#65 2020-05-29 10:10pm

skdevore
Pro MemberIt's Not For Sale, Francis!
From: Claremont, CA
Registered: 2010-04-30
Posts: 5250
Bikes: 40
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/42786/6b47f9f7-43de-469f-a450-741822d1313e5ed1ead282.png
More madness


There's no help for this Museum Junkie!

Offline

 

#66 2020-05-29 10:55pm

keith88
Pro Membersellallrobsstuff
From: So cal
Registered: 2010-01-31
Posts: 1129
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

AlurencatBMX wrote:

If you think it is too expensive? don't buy it. If you didn't then it would never be that expensive lol

BMX bikes are not sound investments like classic cars. Young people these days want to drive and experience classic cars. They don't want to ride old BMX bikes.

This depends on what state you live in... all of the young adults in cali still want new dodge chargers,challengers,hellcats,mustang 5.0s, and anything fast and american...I'm just so glad I dont have to listen to those high pitch exhausts on every little Honda Civic that passes buy anymore. Rice Rocket Hater Here! big_smile

+1lol


I used to do drugs.I still do but I used to,too

Offline

 

#67 2020-05-29 11:23pm

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberReverend of Rad
From: CANADA
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 43340
Bikes: 90
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Did someone pay $3900 for that?


[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#68 2020-05-30 12:45am

AJ Macaroo
Pro MemberThe Professor
Registered: 2017-11-17
Posts: 4563
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

perront wrote:

TMS40 wrote:

I’d trade a DX pedal for an AJ Macaroo recipe... a full n satisfied belly is more the worth it. big_smile

So would I!

Well hot damn then! I figure that makes a set of DX pedals on this double recipe deal. Just make sure there R/L please. Ya see this guys? Who needs money to buy expensive parts when you can make deals like this! wink


It’s a god damn absolute shame what this once magical place has turned into the last few months.

Offline

 

#69 2020-05-30 12:45am

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberPut a Brick In Your Pucci
From: THE SICK SIDE OF "CALI"
Registered: 2008-11-10
Posts: 25048
Bikes: 44
For Sale: 21
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Kurt_Rad wrote:

Interesting topic.

Speak of the DEVIL!!!


[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pXMBPm4q/dirty-tequila-logo.jpg[/img]
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

Offline

 

#70 2020-05-30 12:52am

Dirty Habits
Pro MemberPut a Brick In Your Pucci
From: THE SICK SIDE OF "CALI"
Registered: 2008-11-10
Posts: 25048
Bikes: 44
For Sale: 21
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

This goes to people without $$$$$$ wink

If this hobby is too expensive,  then choose something that fits your budget!!!  smile

carry on..........  big_smile


[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pXMBPm4q/dirty-tequila-logo.jpg[/img]
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness............-Emo Philips

Offline

 

#71 2020-05-30 1:24am

pkripper68bmx
Pro MemberOriginal Finish Only
From: Victoria , Australia
Registered: 2013-11-04
Posts: 11886
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Dirty Habits wrote:

This goes to people without $$$$$$ wink

If this hobby is too expensive,  then choose something that fits your budget!!!  smile

carry on..........  big_smile

+1 cool

Offline

 

#72 2020-05-30 6:14am

Ferris_B
Pro Member
Registered: 2020-05-23
Posts: 14
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Hey, newbie here.  I am working on my first (and probably only) build trying to recreate my bike from the early 80's. And man is it expensive. I started with the guts (OEM frame, fork and rims / probably overpaid) and adding repro parts so I can ride it now while keeping an eye out for the ever elusive EOM parts.  Don't want to miss out on the fun times with my kids who are into bikes now.

Offline

 

#73 2020-05-30 7:18am

Kurt_Rad
Pro MemberReverend of Rad
From: CANADA
Registered: 2011-01-10
Posts: 43340
Bikes: 90
For Sale: 4
Website
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

“WTB. Top dollar paid”

Can’t blame the sellers...


[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/56126/9d4c6707-718c-4ec3-9aeb-aef1bc82caa95c467c81b65e1d4b4d05.jpg[/img]

Offline

 

#74 2020-05-30 7:40am

A-Jey
Pro MemberBMXtraordinaire
From: Location
Registered: 2007-04-01
Posts: 1975
For Sale: 26
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

Depending on how long you've been on this site, but it really started with a few idiots & comp pools. Selling tires at outrageous prices & his cronies buying in the for sale section. Kind of like eBay shill bidding. The member has since been banned but the prices remained. Wonder why old tires are pricey, there's your answer. I've also noticed west coast pricing is significantly much higher then east coast prices. When you see a price jump most times it's just some azzwhole that made it up, no rhyme or reason just looking for a sucker & screw the market. Here's the kicker, people see that & assume that's the price of the parts now. That's how the up trend in price happens. Flippers will almost never buy parts at full price, like almost never!!! But they sure as hell will sell at full going price or more & will cry the old "low ball" or "tire kicker" sh!!t if you offer below selling price. People be on some sh!!t straight up.  I could write an effing book on this sh!!t. Seriously....


What's a bmx

Offline

 

#75 2020-05-30 8:00am

HempKnight
Intermediate
Registered: 2018-09-02
Posts: 372
Offline

Re: Prices have skyrocketed

It all depends on how much someones willing to pay, if someones asking $2000 for a pretty common bike (GT performers were everywhere here in the UK) and another person is willing to pay that, then that is what it's worth.

I usually avoid BIN stuff on ebay, as most of the time it's way overpriced, but if I can get a NOS/mint part for less or close to what it retailed for, i'm happy. Mid school stuff is probably going to continue to rise, as more from that generation gain more desposable income from paying off mortages and kids leaving home etc.

Offline

 

Board footer