You are not logged in.

Clone wars...  RSS Feed

#1 2020-01-27 9:48am

capt.shred
Pro Member
Bikes: 39
For Sale: 2

Clone wars...

What’s the opinion here?  More specifically, when new bikes are decaled to look like an old school.  For instance, Genuine Bicycles makes a great looking 3 bar Cook Brothers clone.  There’s repop cooks decals available now.  I can’t afford the real deal, so I was thinking about rebadging my Red Menace.  I get the purist mentality, but hey, why not?  Discuss...

#2 2020-01-27 9:54am

spyker
Pro MemberPinocchio In Training

Re: Clone wars...

Get ready for a shit storm.....

My opinion on repops aka clones? Long as it gets people out riding and having fun,it is all that matters.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus

#3 2020-01-27 9:55am

The Fixer
Pro Member

Definitely gonna hear from both sides of the argument on this one. Personally, I'm not a fan of upbadging/rebadging anything, unless you're building it specifically as a tribute and everyone knows it when it's time for resale. There are plenty of people that put //M stickers and badges on a regular BMW, or Fender stickers on the headstock of a repop guitar neck, and try to pass them off as legitimate later on to some unsuspecting party.

Reliving the '80s, one ride at a time.

#4 2020-01-27 9:56am

wagonguy
Pro Member
For Sale: 10

Edit: Opinion withdrawn. OP changed thread direction into just trying to irritate people instead of honestly wanting opinions.

Last edited by wagonguy (2020-01-28 10:22am)

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Would love to acquire a Sunn B-Mix 26.

#5 2020-01-27 9:58am

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 23

I don't care

#6 2020-01-27 10:07am

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archaeologist
For Sale: 3

who the F**K has time for what others have to say about what you do with your shit

Neoliberalism was born in Chile, and it will be in Chile where it dies.

#7 2020-01-27 10:17am

Kai
Pro Member"1982"

Uhh....no. I think copping the decal STYLE is OK,as long as its the frame maker's name.http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/3032/mcdowells-restaurant-comingtoamerica5e2f2927ae.jpg

The Mongoo$e rides

#8 2020-01-27 10:19am

veewee25
Pro Member

They are just stickers and can be removed if and when you decide to sell it.
Besides its your bike, its your money do what makes you happy. There is always going to be someone negative, you will never get around it.

#9 2020-01-27 10:39am

capt.shred
Pro Member

Fer sher.  Super lame if I went to sell it as an original.  Not my intention.  I guess it would be similar to a really good cover band.

#10 2020-01-27 11:27am

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI
For Sale: 5

JUST DO IT!

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

Give A Shift! Save the manual.

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

#11 2020-01-27 11:38am

1979-4ever
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

I'm building a '36 Schwinn klunker/cruiser and thought about using the Cook Bros. repops myself, however I will retain the frames original headbage.
If I took a Cook Bros Cruiser & put Schwinn decals on it would any purists be enraged? After all, that geometry was created by Arnold Schwinn.

It's a tribute, life's too short not too enjoy your bike your way.

#12 2020-01-27 11:52am

rcsnipe2000
Pro Member
For Sale: 1158
Website

i cant rock a dyno with hutch decals. sorry, just cant do it. it would nag at me everytime i rode it. ya friends will just talk shit and ya just cant fake the funk.....if ya do, ya just look like faked funk. lol

rc

I sell used parts! If you are looking for nos or dead mint parts, dont buy from me. If you are looking for used, usable parts. Im the guy ya want to buy from.

WILL TRADE FOR

snafu mobus or simular gyro , gold, red,or blue, sealed threadless headset gold, red, anno chain tensioners red, gold, or blue, anno v brakes gold or red, anno u brakes blue,gold, or red anno colored spoke nipples gold, red, or blue

#13 2020-01-27 12:00pm

Kid718
Pro MemberBill Effin' Murray
Website

There’s an early 90’s performer currently on eBay.   It’s painted and decaled as an 87 PFT.   It’s being sold as an 87 PFT.   I think that’s the danger.    I reported the ad, but it’s still up.

Looking for 85-87 Pro performer or Performer survivor project.

#14 2020-01-27 12:13pm

wmkent
Pro Member"Survivor in fair condition"
Bikes: 10

How come nobody goes the other way? Like camo'ing your ProStar in Murray stickers....

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/218478/5511_754836047874021_1906563081_n5e2f447c2e.jpg

Last edited by wmkent (2020-01-27 12:14pm)

#15 2020-01-27 12:26pm

radlad1
Pro Member
Bikes: 3

My take....

Like others have said, as long as you don't sell it as a real one, no harm.

But, and this is where I have had this very issue with a build I was doing, is that I knew it wasn't a real deal, so why am I trying to fake it?

Was I trying to impress others?

Turns out, after thinking about it, I was.

I got to thinking whats the point of faking it?  Sure, if it's gonna be ridden and abused, why take the chance on ruining an expensive original? But even then, why go thru the hassle of faking it?

Deep down, you will still know it's not an original and it will start to bug you. Maybe not right away, but it most likely will. wink
And then you will be scouring here, FB Marketplace and Ebay in search of an original. Trust me.  I lived every word of this. lol

In the end, just do what ya want, and don't lie when it's time to sell....

'Got my first tattoo when I was 16, the rebel had lost his teenage queen.'

#16 2020-01-27 12:35pm

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member
Bikes: 11

capt.shred wrote:

Fer sher.  Super lame if I went to sell it as an original.  Not my intention.  I guess it would be similar to a really good cover band.

I agree with others that as long as you aren't trying to pass it off as an original, go ahead.  From time to time I've thought about doing a chrome vinyl wrap on a new school frame and badging it as an old school brand.  Obviously it wouldn't be, but I've thought it would be fun and different.

Kai wrote:

Uhh....no. I think copping the decal STYLE is OK,as long as its the frame maker's name.http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 2927ae.jpg

This is another cool suggestion, and something else I've thought about doing.  As an example, my current bike is from FTB, which is the BMX brand spun off from MTB maker Dialled Bikes.  Once upon a time I thought about doing up "Dialled Bikes" down tube and "DB" head and seat tube stickers based on the old "Diamond Back" logo stickers.  Might be cool to do "GBR" logos in place of "CBR" and Genuine Bikes on the down tube in the Cook Bros font.

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

46-50 Novice - USA BMX WA-01 - 2014 FTB Revolution AA-Pro - https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/factory_team_bikes/104086

#17 2020-01-27 1:13pm

Kai
Pro Member"1982"

Gylles Smyth wrote:

capt.shred wrote:

I agree with others that as long as you aren't trying to pass it off as an original, go ahead.  From time to time I've thought about doing a chrome vinyl wrap on a new school frame and badging it as an old school brand.  Obviously it wouldn't be, but I've thought it would be fun and different.

Kai wrote:

Uhh....no. I think copping the decal STYLE is OK,as long as its the frame maker's name.http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 2927ae.jpg

This is another cool suggestion, and something else I've thought about doing.  As an example, my current bike is from FTB, which is the BMX brand spun off from MTB maker Dialled Bikes.  Once upon a time I thought about doing up "Dialled Bikes" down tube and "DB" head and seat tube stickers based on the old "Diamond Back" logo stickers.  Might be cool to do "GBR" logos in place of "CBR" and Genuine Bikes on the down tube in the Cook Bros font.

That's what I'm talkin' about. Perfect.

The Mongoo$e rides

#18 2020-01-27 1:35pm

Maiden DB fan
Pro MemberBMX To The Hills

Kai wrote:

Gylles Smyth wrote:

capt.shred wrote:

Kai wrote:

Like GAry Does With The MUSM Stickers! cool cool

#19 2020-01-27 2:20pm

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

Maiden DB fan wrote:

Kai wrote:

Gylles Smyth wrote:

capt.shred wrote:

Actually, if GAry were to do some Museum head tube and down tube stickers in old school BMX logos/fonts, I might just run those on my frame.

46-50 Novice - USA BMX WA-01 - 2014 FTB Revolution AA-Pro - https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/factory_team_bikes/104086

#20 2020-01-27 2:25pm

Minx20
Pro Member

Gylles Smyth wrote:

Maiden DB fan wrote:

Kai wrote:

Actually, if GAry were to do some Museum head tube and down tube stickers in old school BMX logos/fonts, I might just run those on my frame.

+1 but with prismatic material

#21 2020-01-27 4:19pm

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member

Minx20 wrote:

Gylles Smyth wrote:

Maiden DB fan wrote:

+1 but with prismatic material

As long as it looks good over the blue, I'm game!

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/80817/img_2137b5e23ab0d94.jpg

#22 2020-01-27 5:09pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding

I love my Genuine fork! It's tough as hell! Rock your Genuine, like it's a Genuine! Quality stuff that is meant to be ridden. In addition to that, Paul rules!

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2020! Not the best start! Rotator cuff is taking forever to heal!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#23 2020-01-27 5:25pm

hoplias
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Most bmx guys will be able to tell due to the geometry differences and others so there is no harm .Do what you want . The Santa Barbara cruisers are a better Cook style IMO but more pricey

I like studs ,brake studs that is .

#24 2020-01-28 6:23am

samstheman
Pro Member
Bikes: 7

Go for it

Its all good!

#25 2020-01-28 6:53am

capt.shred
Pro Member

Let’s see some “tribute” “clone” builds!  This should stir up the stew a bit.  I’ll be posting mine once done.

Board footer

View Cart →