You are not logged in.

What is your biggest BMX regret?

#51 2020-01-20 9:32am

nnjrider
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

Re: What is your biggest BMX regret?

Kurt_Rad wrote:

I don’t really have regrets. Sure there are things I would have done differently knowing now what I didn’t know then however I am a firm believer of everything happening for a reason. Less favourable outcomes create knowledge which is invaluable. I could say that I regret selling my Kuwahara Bravo and Magician years ago. Yes they were beautiful I would like to have them now but back when I sold them I used the money to take my family on vacation. We were at a very stressful time on our lives and the value of that time away is incomparable to anything. The bikes now are each probably worth double what I sold them for but I still often reflect back to the peace of mind that selling them granted me...

Great life advice. Thanks for sharing.

#52 2020-01-20 9:43am

Gylles Smyth
Pro Member
Bikes: 13

On the bright side, I still have my last race bike from BITD, so no regrets there, and while I do regret having sold some other bikes and parts, in the grand scheme of things, to me that's no big deal.

That said, my biggest regret is having not rescued my old racing trophies from my parents' house before they moved.  Irreplaceable, and some, in particular, I really wish I still had around.

I'm not a shredder, just a songwriter that plays too many notes.

#53 2020-01-20 9:54am

spyker
Pro MemberChup@c@br@

made2drag wrote:

spyker wrote:

made2drag wrote:

leaving my purple 86 Torker 2 360air frame and fork behind my shed at my parents house.  I guess they threw it away.  My brother remembers it sitting there for years.  I moved all my parts to another frame (89 Master) and ignored the Torker.  The Torker rode way better

My somewhat regret bitd was getting roughly 2 inches off brand new Peregrine Q bars,still have them sitting in the garage as a reminder to never cut bars again.

i hate to hear that.  you can always let your grips hang off the bar ends an inch and plug the ends.  it helps me on bars shorter than 28"ers.

I was thinking about making some extensions out of aluminum barstock to extend the bars back to their original length.I work part time at a metal fab shop,so it is easy for me to do.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus picklers!

#54 2020-01-20 9:59am

lowrider
Pro MemberRiding On My 20
Bikes: 29
For Sale: 1

Wish I didnt completely stop riding in the late 80s... freestyle was starting to die and i figured I'd never be good enough to make pro so I quit. Now in my late 40s I wish I had half the skill I used to. neutral

#55 2020-01-20 10:50am

Brian Hays
Pro Member
Bikes: 36

I have no regrets from bitd but my three biggest regrets since 2003 when I got into collecting are:

The very first thing I bought on Ebay was a 1992 original finish and decals PK Ripper XL frame, Landing Gear fork, SE pads, polished Pitbull brake and DK stem and a headset. Had one scratch on the top tube so I stripped it raw and had it repowdered and decal'd it. mad

Selling my JU6 frame and Skyway Tuff forks around 2010ish. Sold for like $1200 and now you can't touch a JU6 frame for under $15K (thanks Thailand) or Skyway Tuff forks for under $1500.

Selling my collection of 7 Nomuras, and 3 Supercross Nomoreas about the same time as the JU6.

Last edited by BRIAN HAYS (2020-01-20 10:51am)

Proudly racing for Ace Bike Shop in Springfield IL.
http://acebicycleshop.com

I live for Race Inc, SE Racing, Navajo, Nomura, GHP and Prodyne OLD SCHOOL!!!LOVE CHASE BMX, GHP, SUPERCROSS and SE new school race bikes as well!!

#56 2020-01-20 1:31pm

Poppitticus
Intermediate
Bikes: 9
Website

Not taking pics of anything bitd.

Not locking up my looptail PK when me and my roomates hosted a kegger in the early 90s. just put it in the shed in the backyard and the next morning, it (and my first real skateboard a first gen pink Gator) were gone the next morning.

But my biggest regret is not riding as an adult more. I think of all that time being healthy and younger wasted by not riding much. I'm pushing 50, and my bad knees and arthritis limit my radness.

#57 2020-01-20 7:56pm

baron340
Pro Member
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 2

This as well:  Not taking pics bitd.   Not only of bmx-related, but in general.

Do not deal with Niagara Cycles, NY. 

Looking for AC 180mm drive side crank arm chrome.

#58 2020-01-20 8:29pm

BrianLanders
Pro Member
Bikes: 4
For Sale: 7

matt thomas wrote:

Pissed away 10 or so years poisoning myself and didn't ride a bit

I hear ya brother....missing out on riding days due to hangovers is my biggest regret.

AZ-01 46-50x

#59 2020-01-20 9:29pm

STREETBEATBEAST
Pro MemberSKYWAY SENSAI
Bikes: 1

A few regrets..
Selling my 1986 CHROME/BLUE/BLACK HARO SPORT..
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/dsc025479f537trgzq5e26892481.jpg

Never making it to the X GAMES to see my HERO RIDERS..
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/hoff_bmx_030510_085e268bc890.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/hqdefault5e268bdb76.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/dave-mirra-release-photo-780x4055e268be4c5.jpg

And never making a visit to SKYWAY RECREATION in REDDING CALIFORNIA before they closed..and bringing my STREETBEAT back to where it was born.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/36359/45882547_153902588918965_4598330178870672551_n5e268c3a15.jpg

Last edited by STREETBEATBEAST (2020-01-20 9:33pm)

Heres my profound, life changing statement.
Lifes a bitch..PASS ME A BEER.

They're reacting and that's wonderful. It's better than them sitting there doing nothing. I say make them react - do whatever's in your power to move the audience, and if that's where it is, and there where it is with America, sex and violence, then I say project it.
ALICE COOPER

#60 2020-01-21 9:11am

samstheman
Pro Member

Not signing the contract to become pro my mom wouldn't let me LMAO JK JK.
Traded my bmx bike for a surfboard bad laps of judgment never forgive myself even thoe I replaced it 100 times over not the same.

Its all good!

#61 2020-01-21 9:18am

KoolAidMan
Bikes: 4

Blue_Max wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

Blue_Max wrote:

My biggest regret is probably when I quit riding in 2012 in my early 20s due to shitty relationships ruining my life, I keep intending to start riding again but its hard to find the motivation when I think about all that wasted time.

Thinking of the time you wasted should be good motivation. You quit riding 8 years ago, so you're roughly 30? You can come back man! Take your time getting your feet back under you. Have fun with it.

I'm 31, going on 32 soon but the last several years i've been going through some pretty bad depression and it's really screwed everything up. It's just after I quit riding I got pretty out of shape, honestly I would like to start again but its going to be a pretty big challenge to get back in shape. At least I have a newschool bike built up for when I do finally get back to it.

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is NOW.
Small goals ...  start with a few body-weight exercises like push-ups, squats and do it for a while ... every day, then get on the bike, you really never forget how.

"Nut-up or Shut-up, Buttercup!"
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/65442/webp.net-resizeimage5f7d318305.png[/img]
Forum and Site Rules <•>Become a Pro Member <•> For Sale Section Rules

#62 2020-01-21 9:50am

kingsting
Pro Member
Bikes: 6

Not too many. I even did a few things right. I managed to hang on to my BITD bikes, a Kuwahara KZ-1 and an 89 Dyno Pro Compe. When colored freestyle components began to disappear (My bikes are lavender and green) I hoarded as many of the consumable parts I could find. I bought all the chains, grips, cables, brake pads, and tires I could find in those colors. I even picked up a couple sets of Skyways. The stuff was cheap too since is was old stock and out of style.

Biggest regret? A local shop had a first gen chrome Haro Freestyler F&F and a lavender Hutch Trick Star F&F hanging on the wall for years. They were expensive and the shop owner wouldn't budge on the price. They were covered in dust and I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on either one. Finally one day in late 1990 I stopped by and they were gone.

If only bicycle repairman were here.

#63 2020-01-21 10:11am

El Gecko
Museum Addict
Bikes: 10

KoolAidMan wrote:

Blue_Max wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

Thinking of the time you wasted should be good motivation. You quit riding 8 years ago, so you're roughly 30? You can come back man! Take your time getting your feet back under you. Have fun with it.

I'm 31, going on 32 soon but the last several years i've been going through some pretty bad depression and it's really screwed everything up. It's just after I quit riding I got pretty out of shape, honestly I would like to start again but its going to be a pretty big challenge to get back in shape. At least I have a newschool bike built up for when I do finally get back to it.

Small goals ...  start with a few body-weight exercises like push-ups, squats and do it for a while ... every day, then get on the bike, you really never forget how.

Amen to that. My biggest regret was breaking my ankle in 2012, when I was 28, right as I was just starting to get back into BMX. The last 8 years have been amazingly painful, and I've passed on a lot of awesome riding opportunities because I didn't feel strong enough. I had to relearn a lot of my riding, so I started simple and went back to the basics. I would just get out and ride around the park across the street after work once a week, maybe do a wheelie or jump a curb, but set aside a little time and just go pedal around. I kept riding further and harder, and now my rides are usually 10-15 miles with a lot of tech thrown in.

Some rides are more intense or focused, some are just cruising, and some just suck for whatever reason. There's no substitute for conditioning, and it was slow progress at first, but now I'm a better rider than I've ever been. The important thing is to do it regularly, so you don't lose any progress that you've made. It doesn't have to be a certain day every week, but if that works better for you, go for it. Sometimes I go a couple weeks without riding and it always takes me a ride or two before I feel comfortable again, so I believe that the old adage is true--"if you don't use it you lose it"

Another thing I do is ride the same routes a lot, and change them up if I feel bored. I hit the same things every time I ride through certain areas--a curb cut or a little dropoff or something--and the next time I go through, I try to do it better, or do a different trick off it. I don't like to stop and session because it breaks up my flow, but I use that kind of stuff along the way as little "progress markers" to gauge how I'm doing--if I'm feeling good that day, or if the tweak I made to my bike actually helped or not.

TL;DR If I can do it, pretty much anyone can--it just takes time to get used to it again. Get out and ride and figure out what works for you. Find the fun again smile

Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

#64 2020-01-21 10:28am

Mario2times
Pro Member

Trading a clean 1986 pro performer for a Nintendo that a gave to a girl i liked little brother.mad  lost on deal  no girl no Nintendo no GT sad

If it ain't done twice its not done right

#65 2020-01-21 12:03pm

wmkent
"Survivor in fair condition"
Bikes: 12

Stripping the stickers the candy gold finish off this...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/218478/ccbmx-aug790405df1385e1e.jpg

Last edited by wmkent (2020-01-21 12:06pm)

You should definitely ride that

#66 2020-01-21 12:44pm

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP
Bikes: 24

baron340 wrote:

This as well:  Not taking pics bitd.   Not only of bmx-related, but in general.

Tell me about it.  It's almost as if certain chapters of my life were never even written.

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#67 2020-01-21 3:53pm

johnnyC
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 1

-Not racing.
-Not taking pics of life growing up-funny in the world where everybody now has a hi def camera in their pocket
-not being a little tougher and smarter to keep thugs and thieves from stealing my bikes (still have my grail)
-pretty much shelving BMX when I got a car

#68 2020-01-21 3:59pm

gunnermg1
Pro Member
Bikes: 5

Years ago I was walking through a swap meet and a guy had a JMC with top notch race components.  He wanted $300.  I kept walking but will never forget and always regret.   sad

Common sense...dont deny it and you ought not to defy it.

#69 2020-01-22 7:11am

made2drag
Pro MemberHaro Lineage Fan

KoolAidMan wrote:

Blue_Max wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

I'll add to this.  Walk 5 times a week for 30 mins each and do a strict Mediterranean diet with less bread.  It consists of lots of veggies, fruit, fish, chicken, olive oil, seeds and nuts.  These foods are super foods for your liver which is responsible for metabolism, fat storage, BP, and has up to 500 functions.  A happy liver doing its work efficiently will help you drop a pound a week.  I've lost 20 since October.  Carbs, sugar and excess calories keep visceral fat in our bodies so this diet helps the body focus on burning the visceral fat.  Green tea helps the body block fat storage and helps metabolism.  Low carb and Keto diets work too but the Mediterranean diet is a lifestyle change you can do forever.

#70 2020-01-22 7:15am

made2drag

A 25 min walk is proportional to calories burned of total weight.  For instance, a 200 pound person walking 25 mins burns 200 calories.

#71 2020-01-22 7:29am

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
Bikes: 97

made2drag wrote:

KoolAidMan wrote:

Blue_Max wrote:

I'll add to this.  Walk 5 times a week for 30 mins each and do a strict Mediterranean diet with less bread.  It consists of lots of veggies, fruit, fish, chicken, olive oil, seeds and nuts.  These foods are super foods for your liver which is responsible for metabolism, fat storage, BP, and has up to 500 functions.  A happy liver doing its work efficiently will help you drop a pound a week.  I've lost 20 since October.  Carbs, sugar and excess calories keep visceral fat in our bodies so this diet helps the body focus on burning the visceral fat.  Green tea helps the body block fat storage and helps metabolism.  Low carb and Keto diets work too but the Mediterranean diet is a lifestyle change you can do forever.

2 of the biggest poisons and they are everywhere. Cutting them or at least reducing them can promote huge positive changes. I have completely changed what and how I eat over the past couple years and I went from 38 and feeling 50 to 40 and feeling 25, no lie. Zero sugar always. Zero carbs during the work week with a little flexibility on the weekend if I want a couple slices of pizza. Vitamin D, Fish Oil/Omega 3 and Glucosamine for joint health. I also do 5-6 20 minute high intensity workouts a week. I am down 30 lbs, sleep way better at night, have consistent energy levels all hours that I am awake (5am to 10pm), have the stamina when playing hockey that I did when I was 21, don't wake up sore in the morning and so on. Every few months I will kick it up a notch for 3-4 weeks and cut out beer completely, add some daily and weekly fasting and throw in a few extra workouts. My body and mind are thanking me now.

#72 2020-01-22 7:54am

made2drag

Kurt_Rad wrote:

made2drag wrote:

KoolAidMan wrote:

2 of the biggest poisons and they are everywhere. Cutting them or at least reducing them can promote huge positive changes. I have completely changed what and how I eat over the past couple years and I went from 38 and feeling 50 to 40 and feeling 25, no lie. Zero sugar always. Zero carbs during the work week with a little flexibility on the weekend if I want a couple slices of pizza. Vitamin D, Fish Oil/Omega 3 and Glucosamine for joint health. I also do 5-6 20 minute high intensity workouts a week. I am down 30 lbs, sleep way better at night, have consistent energy levels all hours that I am awake (5am to 10pm), have the stamina when playing hockey that I did when I was 21, don't wake up sore in the morning and so on. Every few months I will kick it up a notch for 3-4 weeks and cut out beer completely, add some daily and weekly fasting and throw in a few extra workouts. My body and mind are thanking me now.

Yeah man!  I feel much better too.  Every morning I take an Omega 3 gel tablet, milk thistle gel tablet, vitamin and a handful of walnuts.... and then sprinkle some Tumeric in my coffee. I walk 30 mins a day during lunch and ride at night as many times a week as I can.  My BP went from 143/95 to 116/84 (systolic and diastolic) and the 84 still needs to below 80.  I don't have sugar craving or hunger in between meals and my energy went through the roof.  Ive done the Low Carb and the Keto diet before and have lost but always had headaches and dizzy feeling from blood sugar levels dropping.  This Mediterranean diet consists of all healthy foods and healthy unsaturated fats that are good for body.  I feel like I'm in my twenty's too.  Milk thistle protects and heals the liver from bad eating and drinking sodas.... and using it ive found I dream 2 dreams a night now, whereas before I could go all week without a dream.  I'm thinking I'm sleeping deeper.  Olive oil instead of vegetable oil is a big one.  High fructose, vegetable oil and high saturated fat diets cause metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance) and the body starts storing fat instead of burning it.

Last edited by made2drag (2020-01-22 9:13am)

#73 2020-01-22 7:58am

made2drag

Ive also heard intermittent fasting- going without food from after dinner to noon the next day causes the body to drop the blood sugar to close to zero and helps burn more during the day.  I haven't tried it though.  4-5 small meals instead of 3 big meals is key too.

#74 2020-01-22 8:07am

oneflare
Pro Member
Bikes: 19
For Sale: 6
Website

Not franking more!

Hanging my yellow z rims with blue sunshine hubs and other parts in my dad's garage so long that he gave them to goodwill without a word... My regret is not kicking his ass... He would have won but... I shoulda tried!

They call me ManDudeBro

#75 2020-01-22 8:15am

tacochris
Museum Addict

Here's a good one:
About 10 years ago I sold a rust '79 goose motomag to a friend for $250 that I found in the woods...it was rough but complete with rotted Oakley grips, old faded prism stickers, blue first gen mags and all.  He ended up beating me down to $250 cause it had the wrong forks on it. 

The forks on it were GJS forks....

Just an oldschool minitrucker and bmx kid doing what i do....
Proud "Klunker" hater.....

"...I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol days...before you've actually left em..."      -Andy Bernard

Board footer