#26 2020-01-19 6:58pm

spyker
Pro MemberChup@c@br@

Re: What is your biggest BMX regret?

matt thomas wrote:

Pissed away 10 or so years poisoning myself and didn't ride a bit

So you had the time of your life!

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!
never unarmed!
#VOGR
no fijindus picklers!

#27 2020-01-19 7:03pm

Shotgun
Pro Member
Bikes: 111
For Sale: 2

None, that’s why I have 100+ bikes.

#28 2020-01-19 7:04pm

Devilbrad
Pro Member
Website

spyker wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

If his ten years were anything like mine, then no, he didn't have the time of his life.  It starts out fun, then ends up a burden.  Not something to make light of.

82 Cycle Pro Macho 83 Mongoose Californian 85 Haro Sport 86 Redline 500c 87 Haro FST Two 87 General Hustler Fred Bloods 2011 2hip Playboi 2020 S&M Holy Diver

#29 2020-01-19 7:18pm

tacoman
Pro MemberSkinwalkers
Bikes: 8

Had an opportunity to buy an og GJS Big Tube for $1400 years ago.
Convinced myself i had enough bikes and passed..
rollsad

There is no stopping...what can't be stopped.

#30 2020-01-19 7:34pm

Angelo01033
Pro MemberMake your cranks look awesome again
Bikes: 6
For Sale: 51

Buying a complete original Maui Blue pro freestyle tour at a tag sale for 100 bucks and immediately sending it out for powder. It was a few years ago when I first started and figured there were piles of them at EVERY tag sale and would find some nicer ones for my collection. I would like to punch my younger self in the mouth right about now. He would punch me back because he thinks he is smarter than me.

#31 2020-01-19 7:43pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 3

Devilbrad wrote:

spyker wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

If his ten years were anything like mine, then no, he didn't have the time of his life.  It starts out fun, then ends up a burden.  Not something to make light of.

I've had a way better time the last 22 years riding. Nothing positive or productive happened from age 15 to 25. I definitely wasted 10 years

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2021
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my white inTRIKat!!!

#32 2020-01-19 7:50pm

Blue_Max
Museum Addict
Bikes: 21

My biggest regret is probably when I quit riding in 2012 in my early 20s due to shitty relationships ruining my life, I keep intending to start riding again but its hard to find the motivation when I think about all that wasted time.

#33 2020-01-19 8:51pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 3

Blue_Max wrote:

My biggest regret is probably when I quit riding in 2012 in my early 20s due to shitty relationships ruining my life, I keep intending to start riding again but its hard to find the motivation when I think about all that wasted time.

Thinking of the time you wasted should be good motivation. You quit riding 8 years ago, so you're roughly 30? You can come back man! Take your time getting your feet back under you. Have fun with it.

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2021
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my white inTRIKat!!!

#34 2020-01-19 9:07pm

Blue_Max
Museum Addict
Bikes: 21

matt thomas wrote:

Blue_Max wrote:

Thinking of the time you wasted should be good motivation. You quit riding 8 years ago, so you're roughly 30? You can come back man! Take your time getting your feet back under you. Have fun with it.

I'm 31, going on 32 soon but the last several years i've been going through some pretty bad depression and it's really screwed everything up. It's just after I quit riding I got pretty out of shape, honestly I would like to start again but its going to be a pretty big challenge to get back in shape. At least I have a newschool bike built up for when I do finally get back to it.

#35 2020-01-19 9:52pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4

My biggest regret is not learning how to backflip when I was young and ballsy. There’s no way I’m learning that now when there’s so much at stake.

-Joe

#36 2020-01-19 10:35pm

BRICKOS2
THIRSTY
Bikes: 26

Devilbrad wrote:

spyker wrote:

matt thomas wrote:

If his ten years were anything like mine, then no, he didn't have the time of his life.  It starts out fun, then ends up a  bourbon

So true

#37 2020-01-19 10:50pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

In the early 2000's my friend shows up. His GF just had a baby and he's in desperate need of a bike to get to work. So I lent him my all chrome GT PFT because it was the only bike I had that was still all complete. At the time I didn't care about it, as I thought I'd never ride a BMX again. Of course the bike magically disappeared.

#38 2020-01-19 11:01pm

ApolloMkII
Pro MemberWhen I get around to it...

BRICKOS2 wrote:

ApolloMkII wrote:

Not keeping ANYTHING from my BMX's BITD.
My Madison was stolen around 1983 from memory.
I cracked the frame just above my seat post clamp (I'm guessing the seat post was sitting too high) on my Apollo Mk2 attempting to jump up a gutter to impress a girl lol and it was repaired badly and was never the same.
So I hung it in the garage.
There it sat for years until my neighbour needed rims for his bmx bike (this was probably around 1989-90.
Me being a nice guy GAVE him my black Araya 7X's..........sad
Don't know what I was thinking...........
I regret not taking more pics of my BMX bikes BITD.
I'm sure I have more than I can find right now, but I have no idea where they'd be in the photo albums.
I have nothing I can find or use at all of any of my old BMX bikes. sad

Was she impressed...???

Yeah, I think so............ lol
It was 1987-88........ lol

#39 2020-01-20 7:03am

djvnub
Expert

Very cool thread I would love to see some of these bikes you have all mentioned. Here is my regret and I have never seen another since.

1985 24” pro class

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/42573/img_73765db1c9d293.jpg

#40 2020-01-20 7:34am

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP
Bikes: 24

Devilbrad wrote:

Tell me your "kick yourself in the ass" stories!  In 1985 my mom bought me a new Haro Sport.  I had that bike until 1998 when I made a trash run with my dad and threw it out in the local dumps.  Blue Sport, turquoise Z-rims, Group 1 cranks, Dia Compe brakes, Schwinn Yo-roller seat, and an extra set of white Skyway tuffs.  Both wheel sets had Haro tires.  5 years later, thanks to the internet I realized what I had done.  God I hate myself for that, LOL

Ouch.  No return.  That's pretty bad!

I can narrow it down to three:

1. Selling my sweet '88 RL 20II for about $100 back in about '98.  I'd bet money that somebody on the Museum has it, and is quietly gloating!

2. Selling my nickel-plated Patterson Anderson Avalanche frame for about $100 around the same time.  I believe it had some exotic/desirable Euro bottom bracket installed, too.

3. Selling my old looptail PK for about $120.  It had a poorly welded crack at the seatmast, but it also had OG Vector Bob Haros, Campy hubs, red rims that were either Arayas or Ukais, and red Comp IIs that were nice enough to ride on.

Last edited by perront (2020-01-20 7:41am)

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#41 2020-01-20 8:00am

BRICKOS2
THIRSTY
Bikes: 26

ApolloMkII wrote:

BRICKOS2 wrote:

ApolloMkII wrote:

Not keeping ANYTHING from my BMX's BITD.
My Madison was stolen around 1983 from memory.
I cracked the frame just above my seat post clamp (I'm guessing the seat post was sitting too high) on my Apollo Mk2 attempting to jump up a gutter to impress a girl lol and it was repaired badly and was never the same.
So I hung it in the garage.
There it sat for years until my neighbour needed rims for his bmx bike (this was probably around 1989-90.
Me being a nice guy GAVE him my black Araya 7X's..........sad
Don't know what I was thinking...........
I regret not taking more pics of my BMX bikes BITD.
I'm sure I have more than I can find right now, but I have no idea where they'd be in the photo albums.
I have nothing I can find or use at all of any of my old BMX bikes. sad

Was she impressed...???

Yeah, I think so............ lol
It was 1987-88........ lol

No regrets there lol

#42 2020-01-20 8:09am

Kurt_Rad
Post Restriction
Bikes: 97

I don’t really have regrets. Sure there are things I would have done differently knowing now what I didn’t know then however I am a firm believer of everything happening for a reason. Less favourable outcomes create knowledge which is invaluable. I could say that I regret selling my Kuwahara Bravo and Magician years ago. Yes they were beautiful I would like to have them now but back when I sold them I used the money to take my family on vacation. We were at a very stressful time on our lives and the value of that time away is incomparable to anything. The bikes now are each probably worth double what I sold them for but I still often reflect back to the peace of mind that selling them granted me...

#43 2020-01-20 8:27am

made2drag
Pro MemberHaro Lineage Fan
Bikes: 9

spyker wrote:

made2drag wrote:

leaving my purple 86 Torker 2 360air frame and fork behind my shed at my parents house.  I guess they threw it away.  My brother remembers it sitting there for years.  I moved all my parts to another frame (89 Master) and ignored the Torker.  The Torker rode way better

My somewhat regret bitd was getting roughly 2 inches off brand new Peregrine Q bars,still have them sitting in the garage as a reminder to never cut bars again.

i hate to hear that.  you can always let your grips hang off the bar ends an inch and plug the ends.  it helps me on bars shorter than 28"ers.

#44 2020-01-20 8:28am

jray02r1
Pro Member
Bikes: 34

Kurt_Rad wrote:

The bikes now are each probably worth double what I sold them for but I still often reflect back to the peace of mind that selling them granted me...

This is true for most everything that i have sold and later thought about again.  It sucks letting stuff go at times, but the relief you can get from letting go is sometimes greater than anything else.  There are very few things that i truely regret anymore.  Mistakes will always be made along the way, but if you learn from it, then you gained invaluable experience.  I try to move on to the next venture and work towards achieving those goals rather than dwelling on the past.  With the bike stuff, i would still have awesome bikes to ride even if i sold out tomorrow.  Hell, as much as i like some of them, if someone bought most of my bikes for half their value and left me with one or two good ones, i would be happy as hell!

#45 2020-01-20 8:33am

made2drag
Pro MemberHaro Lineage Fan
Bikes: 9

Kurt_Rad wrote:

I don’t really have regrets. Sure there are things I would have done differently knowing now what I didn’t know then however I am a firm believer of everything happening for a reason. Less favourable outcomes create knowledge which is invaluable. I could say that I regret selling my Kuwahara Bravo and Magician years ago. Yes they were beautiful I would like to have them now but back when I sold them I used the money to take my family on vacation. We were at a very stressful time on our lives and the value of that time away is incomparable to anything. The bikes now are each probably worth double what I sold them for but I still often reflect back to the peace of mind that selling them granted me...

just think, in 5 years you can buy them for what you sold them for or maybe less

#46 2020-01-20 8:43am

mhogaboone
Pro Member

Breaking my shoulder at 14 trying to bunny hope over an upside down Bike The rear tire hit the sprocket and I went straight down head first that ruined my baseball career but at least I didn’t break my neck lol  And at 35 riding my 85 Californian Drunk and breaking both of my wrist One of which was surgically repaired with pins and screws after flipping over the handlebars. Still ride just a lot more careful now

#47 2020-01-20 8:44am

Bluegill
Intermediate
Bikes: 3

Selling my early 80’s Hutch Pro Racer to a kid in the neighborhood in 1985 or 86 because I was now in high school and done with riding kids’ bikes. Gave him all my stuff from racing and then freestyle (Ukais, tuffs, handlebars, seatposts, pedals, number plates, etc.).

#48 2020-01-20 9:12am

Honda4bmxSnM
Pro Member
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 1
Website

Getting rid of anything.

Trust 4130.

#49 2020-01-20 9:17am

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP

Bluegill wrote:

Selling my early 80’s Hutch Pro Racer to a kid in the neighborhood in 1985 or 86 because I was now in high school and done with riding kids’ bikes. Gave him all my stuff from racing and then freestyle (Ukais, tuffs, handlebars, seatposts, pedals, number plates, etc.).

Hey, if he used your old stuff to get into racing, sounds like you did the right thing.  I get it, though.

Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#50 2020-01-20 9:23am

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP

djvnub wrote:

Very cool thread I would love to see some of these bikes you have all mentioned. Here is my regret and I have never seen another since.

1985 24” pro class

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … c9d293.jpg

OLDSCHOOLJUNKIE has one he’s been dangling as a trade for a while now.  You might have a chance...Then again, judging from the length of the thread, you probably don’t!

FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!

Board footer