KANSAS remote seller sales tax.  RSS Feed

#1 2019-11-05 4:36pm

djflo0042012
Pro Member
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 1330
Website

KANSAS remote seller sales tax.

Any seller that sells to a KS resident, will pay a sales tax , rate depending on the city that the customer resides. It is your responsibility to add the tax table to your paypal account. Paypal will not tell you so I am. Please do not message me about this matter, if need be call Kansas dept of revenue at 785-368-8222. I will add it doesn't matter the volume of sales, if you sell anything to a buyer in KS you will be taxed at the end of the year. Tell anybody you know as the responsibilityhttps://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/212506/75356798_2378707125713188_1246562241315078144_o-15dc2156c62.jpg
is on you/ them the seller. Good luck.

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2019 … -2019.html

Kansas

Many retailers are hoping Kansas will change its small seller exception, because as of this writing, it doesn’t have one. The Kansas Department of Revenue has decided to view an existing provision of sales tax law through a Wayfair lens; this gives it the authority to require remote sellers to collect and remit sales tax, but not to establish an exception for small sellers.

https://www.ksrevenue.org/taxnotices/notice19-04.pdf

There may be more states but as far as I could find out today the other states have a threshold that has to be met, in order to owe any tax, but KS doesn't.

There is not enough time in the day to answer every question, so you can figure if your message includes a ball on the lower level you will not receive a response.

*Temporarily no shipping to China or Hong Kong. This is just due to delays and there is not guarantee when you will get your part. I apologize to all of our honest customers for this delay. Still no shipping to Malaysia.
All Kansas residents will pay a sales tax. Your state passed the law, so I have no control over the matter.

#2 2019-11-05 5:01pm

its-all-good
Pro MemberDon't Cheers Me Bro
For Sale: 98
Website

Re: KANSAS remote seller sales tax.

x

#3 2019-11-05 5:06pm

GAry
Owner/CuratorYes, I started this site!
Bikes: 433
For Sale: 40
Website

Although we do not allow external links in signature.
This one is simply trying to be informative..

[img]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg/v1/fill/w_926,h_30,al_c,lg_1,q_80/b927f0_b6a3c62979e1437480c816c4846c106d.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site Rules   Guide For New Members  Become a Pro Member  For Sale Section Rules  How to post picts
Yes, I started this website myself, way back in 1999, thanks for sharing my passion about BMX!!

#4 2019-11-05 5:33pm

its-all-good
Website

GAry wrote:

Although we do not allow external links in signature.
This one is simply trying to be informative..

This is the shit I have been talking about.

#5 2019-11-05 5:39pm

djflo0042012
Pro Member
Website

Yes sorry I didn't know that about the signature. Everybody needs to share this so you don't get hit with the tax bill at the end of the year. I even put it on Paypals facebook page multiple times. Even though it is sad of the state of KANSAS, it is very sad that Paypal will not post this info on EVERY PAYPAL account page. It should be printed on every newspaper until the end of the year and shared to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. The fact of the sales tax info hiding that paypal does to anybody that sells, is the utmost thing I hate the most about Paypal. I even told them today on the phone that exact same thing, and they changed the subject immediately.

Last edited by djflo0042012 (2019-11-05 5:40pm)

There is not enough time in the day to answer every question, so you can figure if your message includes a ball on the lower level you will not receive a response.

*Temporarily no shipping to China or Hong Kong. This is just due to delays and there is not guarantee when you will get your part. I apologize to all of our honest customers for this delay. Still no shipping to Malaysia.
All Kansas residents will pay a sales tax. Your state passed the law, so I have no control over the matter.

#6 2019-11-05 7:22pm

its-all-good
Website

Not to mention that Ebay now is "collecting sales tax" but they now (as of this month).
Collect it with the paypal payment that going into my paypal. Then after processed ebay takes the "sales tax" back out of my paypal. That means that paypal is now collecting fees from me for money I will never see and was not a payment to me. That is 2.9% out of my pocket on every sales tax collected.
Check it out. This is new as Ebay before was taking the sales tax themselves and then forwarding to the tax collectors.

#7 2019-11-05 7:26pm

its-all-good
Website

djflo0042012 wrote:

Yes sorry I didn't know that about the signature. Everybody needs to share this so you don't get hit with the tax bill at the end of the year. I even put it on Paypals facebook page multiple times. Even though it is sad of the state of KANSAS, it is very sad that Paypal will not post this info on EVERY PAYPAL account page. It should be printed on every newspaper until the end of the year and shared to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. The fact of the sales tax info hiding that paypal does to anybody that sells, is the utmost thing I hate the most about Paypal. I even told them today on the phone that exact same thing, and they changed the subject immediately.

I do agree for the most part. But, rules are rules and they should be the same for every member. The staff should not just pick and choose what rules get enforced and what rules get ignored.

#8 2019-11-05 7:26pm

djflo0042012
Pro Member
Website

Yup 2 stupid idiotic companies.(eBay and PayPal)

Last edited by djflo0042012 (2019-11-05 8:54pm)

#9 2019-11-22 3:50pm

djflo0042012
Pro Member
Website

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/212506/kansas-tax-edited5dd874466f.jpg

#10 2019-11-25 4:32pm

its-all-good
Website

Did you have to send away for that?

#11 2019-11-25 5:17pm

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

x

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

This too shall pass.

#12 2019-11-25 5:38pm

Jamoranger3
Pro Member
Bikes: 54

Geez!! Guess I have to watch out for Kansas buyers. hmm

JAMMY's GT/Dyno

Oversea, if you want to buy my bike-
add $100 for the hassle with custom paperwork and risky!

#13 2019-11-25 5:59pm

Jamoranger3
Pro Member
Bikes: 54

If anyone want to sell bikes or parts to Kansas buyer, send it to me in Iowa and I’m only 3 hours away from Kansas so we can meet up in person and doing cash.

I ain’t going to give money to government & senates whom earning over $200k a year for just talking.

Last edited by Jamoranger3 (2019-11-25 5:59pm)

JAMMY's GT/Dyno

Oversea, if you want to buy my bike-
add $100 for the hassle with custom paperwork and risky!

#14 2019-11-25 6:08pm

troynlori
ModeratorSuper "Pedal Peddler" Junior Mod
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 94

This may be the ignramace statement of the year, but I'll believe it when I see it.  They have to put the logistics together to make this work.  PayPal is only telling people you info if you do $20K in sales.  They would need to get PayPal to participate in this and to automatically charge you.  I don't think that will bode well.

Rob....how are you getting charged PayPal fees on the buyers tax payment on Ebay when you never see it.  Am I thinking this one wrong?

I'm travelling this week....anything purchased will be shipped on ~6/6/20.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#15 2019-11-25 7:15pm

perront
Pro MemberPolitics Can KISS My ASS
Bikes: 22

x

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonRobinson
PowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#16 2019-11-26 1:45pm

its-all-good
Website

troynlori wrote:

This may be the ignramace statement of the year, but I'll believe it when I see it.  They have to put the logistics together to make this work.  PayPal is only telling people you info if you do $20K in sales.  They would need to get PayPal to participate in this and to automatically charge you.  I don't think that will bode well.

Rob....how are you getting charged PayPal fees on the buyers tax payment on Ebay when you never see it.  Am I thinking this one wrong?

The "sales tax" is being put though my paypal first before ebay takes it and gives it to the state. That means I am paying the paypal fees on the sales tax.

#17 2019-11-26 5:04pm

djflo0042012
Pro Member
Website

Yes just like you send away for your own states sales tax. Just like you noticed the ebay sales taxes for customers that didn't live in my state Missouri. So I called them and they said that 20 states require marketplaces such as ebay and amazon to collect a tax when an item is sold to a customer in one of those 20 states. Well I dug deeper to see how this would relate an everyday paypal sale outside of ebay. Online it is pretty big news about Kansas because the law they passed is pretty radical. Just like paypal requires a seller to sell at least 20,000 + 200 transactions to collect sales taxes, the other states in the union have what they refer to as a "threshold". The majority of the states thresholds start at $100,000 before you would need to collect a sales tax, but Kansas is the only state that does NOT have a threshold. Meaning you sell a piece of gum to a Kansas customer you will pay a sales tax unless you charge the buyer.

#18 2019-11-26 5:09pm

80sbikedude
ModeratorBugs Bunny Bmx'er
Bikes: 67
Website

Amazon is doing the same thing too.

ASAP.org ........check it out, I live with it daily
If at first you don't succeed, Do it like your Mom told you!
"Do or do not, there is no try"~~~Yoda
Next time you are feeling perfect, try walking on water!

Hook 'Em Horns

#19 2019-11-26 5:15pm

mtbwrxwagon
Pro MemberHello Kitty
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 4

Thank goodness I’m not a retailer

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/43842/bmx-museum5dee515398.jpg[/img]
Forum and Site RulesBecome a Pro MemberFor Sale Section Rules

#20 2019-11-26 7:16pm

its-all-good
Website

djflo0042012 wrote:

Yes just like you send away for your own states sales tax. Just like you noticed the ebay sales taxes for customers that didn't live in my state Missouri. So I called them and they said that 20 states require marketplaces such as ebay and amazon to collect a tax when an item is sold to a customer in one of those 20 states. Well I dug deeper to see how this would relate an everyday paypal sale outside of ebay. Online it is pretty big news about Kansas because the law they passed is pretty radical. Just like paypal requires a seller to sell at least 20,000 + 200 transactions to collect sales taxes, the other states in the union have what they refer to as a "threshold". The majority of the states thresholds start at $100,000 before you would need to collect a sales tax, but Kansas is the only state that does NOT have a threshold. Meaning you sell a piece of gum to a Kansas customer you will pay a sales tax unless you charge the buyer.

Not sure I want to start keeping track of my sales to Kansas. I might just put no sales to Kansas in my ads on this site. The other sites I sell on are already taking out the sales tax for me.

#21 2019-11-26 7:27pm

djflo0042012
Pro Member
Website

You should add the tax table to your paypal account just incase one does buy from you. It is a circus all the way around though. Each city has it's own tax rate, so you have to figure out what the matching zip code is for each city and then set up the tax table for each particular city. 

It is only a matter of time before every state will follow suit. So all we can do is go with the flow. I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

My state though always says I don't pay them enough(go figure) so this year I am just going to send them $100 and then they can tell me how much I owe them or if they owe me, rather than adding it all up. They said they don't know how much I owe until I pay(how convenient). My hope is that I can just do this with Kansas. Send them like $20 and then they can tell me what I owe.

#22 2019-11-26 7:44pm

troynlori

its-all-good wrote:

troynlori wrote:

The "sales tax" is being put though my paypal first before ebay takes it and gives it to the state. That means I am paying the paypal fees on the sales tax.

Then I think they are treating you worse than me.  My PayPal never sees the tax.  Because PayPal isn't the one collecting the tax.  It's Ebay that is collecting the tax.  You're not even required to get payment by Paypal.  When it comes to Ebay….PayPal has nothing to do with the tax, and I am seeing no sign of it on my paypal account.  I mean...I could be wrong, but I'm looking closely and that's what it looks like.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#23 2019-11-26 7:57pm

troynlori

djflo0042012 wrote:

So I'm trying to figure this logistically.  PayPal is not collecting taxes like Ebay is.  Sure...I can receive taxes from someone as part of a PayPal payment, but PayPal is not then taking those taxes from me and sending Kansas a bulk check.  On Ebay….the tax thing is completely invisible to me....except when I am the buyer. 

So now I've sold something to someone in Kansas for which $1.15 of taxes would theoretically be due.  PayPal didn't tell them.  How do they know?  Now they know....how are they coming after me for $1.15?  I'm not registered in the state of Kansas to pay taxes.   You have to register in a state to pay taxes there.  It's not like you throw some quarters in an envelope and mail them.

Try this one out....if I sold something on Ebay and they collected the taxes......so what?  Now Kansas is going to look in my PayPal account and see I sold something there and demand the taxes again?

If Ebay did not facilitate the tax collection and aggregation for the various states, it wouldn't be happening there.  I'm confident that Kansas does not want to open an envelope for $1.15. 

It's certainly a big deal what happened in Kansas, but I think it will be a while before there is an effective logistical means of implementing it.

#24 2019-11-26 7:59pm

its-all-good
Website

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/4406/transaction-details---paypal5dddf4a1b1.png

#25 2019-11-26 8:02pm

troynlori

That seems pretty clear, but I don't see it that way on mine.  Hmmm.....

Board footer

View Cart →