You are not logged in.

Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!  RSS Feed

#26 2019-10-03 7:47am

Nelly
Pro Member
From: Aurora, IL
Registered: 2017-09-28
Posts: 65
Bikes: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

DutchRipper wrote:

Yup way cool. Surely it must be the bike from that famous BMX action ad, what else could it be....all boxes tick green. big_smile I am also pretty sure you figured the change was real upon buying the bike. So congrats on a huge score of ET BMX Grail piece of History. The resell value of this bike will be skyrocketing since it's original Estate sale find price. lol I agree with you that holding it for now is the best option to do, just wait for the collector to show up who wants it the most and let them come with an offer you can't refuse or hold/preserve it longer. You should also make/buy the BMX Action Magazine show-card easel from the ad and put it next to the bike and make some more pictures. tongue

Thanks man! Yeah this is an amazing piece of BMX history for sure.

I don’t even want to know what the guy paid for it at the estate sale. Lol. I’m sure is was cheap and WAY less than what I paid him for it. lol

I’d love to get my hands on one of those easels, but they are no longer available to buy so I’d have to try and make one myself. Maybe someday!

Offline

 

#27 2019-10-03 7:50am

El Gecko
Pro Member
From: The Great Lakes
Registered: 2012-10-01
Posts: 3119
Bikes: 7

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

So cool. Still trying to figure out how it ended up outside for so long though sad


Relax.
Balance.
Focus.

Offline

 

#28 2019-10-03 7:57am

Nelly
Pro Member
From: Aurora, IL
Registered: 2017-09-28
Posts: 65
Bikes: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Has anyone ever seen a stamp like this before? Not sure what it’s for. It’s a circle with a line on each side. Kind of looks like a Saturn with a break in the middle of the ring. Any other Kuwahara’s or other bikes out there have this?

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/246908/3cecd396-d905-4dbc-814d-26af43cce7c85d960c3c67.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/246908/49f14fd3-3df1-422b-aa8f-3fcda78619395d960c387b.jpeg

Offline

 

#29 2019-10-03 1:43pm

belloq
Pro Member
From: NY
Registered: 2009-05-21
Posts: 108

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Possibly a stand clamp mark or tool mark? Howie probably set it on a “flying” stand when he brought it to a few business meetings or industry conventions for marketing before the manufacturing of the ET replica bikes started or they arrived from Japan.

Last edited by belloq (2019-10-03 4:49pm)

Offline

 

#30 2019-10-03 2:08pm

Jamoranger3
Pro Member
From: Iowa & PNW
Registered: 2015-05-31
Posts: 826
Bikes: 53

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Wow!!! ET saucer will land in your backyard so look out for him!

Haha kidding!

Thank you for sharing about its history story!


JAMMY's GT/Dyno

Oversea, if you want to buy my bike-
add $100 for the hassle with custom paperwork and risky!

Offline

 

#31 2019-10-03 2:11pm

combover
Pro Member
From: California
Registered: 2010-03-21
Posts: 285
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Nelly wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a stamp like this before? Not sure what it’s for. It’s a circle with a line on each side. Kind of looks like a Saturn with a break in the middle of the ring. Any other Kuwahara’s or other bikes out there have this?

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … c3c67.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … c387b.jpeg

I think the fire department put that stamp on the frame when they licensed it

Last edited by combover (2019-10-03 2:13pm)

Offline

 

#32 2019-10-03 2:23pm

TYLER DERDEN
Intermediate
Registered: 2008-12-31
Posts: 435

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

I guess it could be the bike from the ad, but I remember there were 3 levels of the ET bikes. The Non-looptail, the Looptail, and the lugged frame. All were at different price points.

Kuwi guys educate me if my memory is wrong!!

Offline

 

#33 2019-10-03 2:31pm

nintendoninja
Pro Member"GT JUGGALO"
From: North Phoenix, AZ
Registered: 2009-04-17
Posts: 4407
Bikes: 9

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

I knew something was up with that bike when I first saw it in that other thread.
Nice find cool


- WTB 2004 Redline Retro Squareback -
- WTB Knight Retro Goose Trails Frame -

Offline

 

#34 2019-10-03 2:33pm

rickman199
Pro Member
From: Durham, UK
Registered: 2010-11-03
Posts: 1233

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

so cool

Offline

 

#35 2019-10-03 2:38pm

erdalicious
Pro MemberPsycho Silence
From: b e l g i u m
Registered: 2008-12-25
Posts: 15091
Bikes: 38

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

I heard that Steven Spielberg has the original bike in one of his studios in Hollywood


WTB: * NOS Oakley F1 grips black/yellow * KKT FMX/LMX Pedals * Skyway Tuff Graphite pedals/cages * NOS Oakley 2 red right side only * NOS Oakley 1 red left side only * NOS chrome KKT FMX left side pedal 9/16

Offline

 

#36 2019-10-03 3:09pm

fairlyodddad
Pro MemberFLAWLESS VICTORY FATALITY
From: Huntley, IL
Registered: 2013-10-06
Posts: 3658
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 4

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Radness!


“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”  -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------
Looking for a 1990 Bully BashGuard with SN RX8908567 Olive color stolen from me back in 1991
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------

Offline

 

#37 2019-10-03 5:42pm

Nelly
Pro Member
From: Aurora, IL
Registered: 2017-09-28
Posts: 65
Bikes: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

combover wrote:

Nelly wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a stamp like this before? Not sure what it’s for. It’s a circle with a line on each side. Kind of looks like a Saturn with a break in the middle of the ring. Any other Kuwahara’s or other bikes out there have this?

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … c3c67.jpeg
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … c387b.jpeg

I think the fire department put that stamp on the frame when they licensed it

Really? Is this a for sure thing?


TYLER DERDEN wrote:

I guess it could be the bike from the ad, but I remember there were 3 levels of the ET bikes. The Non-looptail, the Looptail, and the lugged frame. All were at different price points.

Kuwi guys educate me if my memory is wrong!!

Yes there were 3 levels. None of them were the same as the movie bikes though. The ad bike is even different, accessory wise, to the movie bikes but it has the same frame as the movie bikes. Might even be a frame from one of the movie bikes.


erdalicious wrote:

I heard that Steven Spielberg has the original bike in one of his studios in Hollywood

He does and as far as I know his is the only one of the original 5 Elliot bikes known to still exist (even though it has the completely wrong basket on it). I am hoping to change that. Even if mine isn’t one of the original 5 movie frames it certainly would be the next best thing as it was made at the same time as they were.

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/246908/c9bc026f-bd40-48ef-9aa5-cbb58355cc335d969507a6.jpeg

Offline

 

#38 2019-10-04 1:44pm

JerseyGirlBMX1979
Pro Member
From: NJ
Registered: 2013-07-08
Posts: 672
Bikes: 12
For Sale: 12

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

very cool bike!!!!!cool


Looking for Mongoose pad set black 83'

Offline

 

#39 2019-10-07 5:06pm

Nelly
Pro Member
From: Aurora, IL
Registered: 2017-09-28
Posts: 65
Bikes: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Finally able to ditch the Comp 3’s. Still not the IRC 80X’s I so desperately need, but these will be great placeholders until I find some. Looks so much better now. cool

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/246908/5f45b0c4-6683-4ec6-930d-08e41ede2b795d9bd30f48.jpeg

Offline

 

#40 2019-10-07 6:07pm

nevets68
Pro Member
From: Northern NJ
Registered: 2019-07-28
Posts: 137
Bikes: 1

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Nice bicycle!


Carpet queens are silly. It's a bicycle...it's meant to be ridden.

Offline

 

#41 2019-10-07 6:17pm

Thetrooper
Pro Member
From: western WI
Registered: 2013-03-29
Posts: 2980
Bikes: 17
For Sale: 4

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

So awesome!


Looking for a 24" GT fork 87-89

Win TWINS!!!

Offline

 

#42 2019-10-08 12:14am

DutchRipper
Pro MemberDUCKDUCKGO
From: Amsterdam
Registered: 2016-09-10
Posts: 1139
Bikes: 8

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Nelly wrote:

Finally able to ditch the Comp 3’s. Still not the IRC 80X’s I so desperately need, but these will be great placeholders until I find some. Looks so much better now. cool

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 30f48.jpeg

Yes, it really does! cool


Hoe gaat het?

Offline

 

#43 2019-10-08 12:27pm

Nelly
Pro Member
From: Aurora, IL
Registered: 2017-09-28
Posts: 65
Bikes: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

These things are meant to be ridden, no matter how rare it is, right? Damn right! cool I let my daughter take the ET bike out for its first spin since the mid 80's! I did tell her not to use the brakes though. Doesn't appear they ever were used, so I didnt want to start now! Lol.

Offline

 

#44 2019-10-08 6:29pm

fairlyodddad
Pro MemberFLAWLESS VICTORY FATALITY
From: Huntley, IL
Registered: 2013-10-06
Posts: 3658
Bikes: 13
For Sale: 4

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Nelly wrote:

These things are meant to be ridden, no matter how rare it is, right? Damn right! cool I let my daughter take the ET bike out for its first spin since the mid 80's! I did tell her not to use the brakes though. Doesn't appear they ever were used, so I didnt want to start now! Lol.

Awesome!


“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”  -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------
Looking for a 1990 Bully BashGuard with SN RX8908567 Olive color stolen from me back in 1991
----------------------------------------------------o0o-----------------------------------------------------

Offline

 

#45 2019-10-08 8:13pm

Minx20
Pro Member
From: FL
Registered: 2009-04-23
Posts: 6605
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

fairlyodddad wrote:

Nelly wrote:

These things are meant to be ridden, no matter how rare it is, right? Damn right! cool I let my daughter take the ET bike out for its first spin since the mid 80's! I did tell her not to use the brakes though. Doesn't appear they ever were used, so I didnt want to start now! Lol.

Awesome!

Cool video


Bet you would have had a panic attack had on her return run, she decided to bail and let the bike ghost ride on it's own loltongue

Offline

 

#46 2019-10-08 10:39pm

DutchRipper
Pro MemberDUCKDUCKGO
From: Amsterdam
Registered: 2016-09-10
Posts: 1139
Bikes: 8

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Already a little panic at the end! lol

Thanks for the vid, bike looks great. This color combo is much nicer than with the black parts. If you'd have entered the Museum Calender any bike cat I would have voted this nr  1. This bike belongs on the calender! cool

Last edited by DutchRipper (2019-10-08 10:39pm)


Hoe gaat het?

Offline

 

#47 2019-10-09 10:08am

combover
Pro Member
From: California
Registered: 2010-03-21
Posts: 285
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

the bike cleaned up really nice man ! great job on the restoration and investigation !

Offline

 

#48 2019-10-09 10:13am

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
From: SoCAL
Registered: 2013-07-14
Posts: 12754
Bikes: 26
For Sale: 25

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

Wow. I love your street.

Offline

 

#49 2019-10-09 10:20am

Axel10
Pro MemberBMX Archaeologist
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-03-25
Posts: 9677
For Sale: 3

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

coolcool
cool


Neoliberalism was born in Chile, and it will be in Chile where it dies.

Offline

 

#50 2019-10-09 11:14am

combover
Pro Member
From: California
Registered: 2010-03-21
Posts: 285
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 2

Re: Could it be? Kuwahara ET awesomeness!

BRICKOS2 wrote:

Wow. I love your street.

#1 !

Offline

 

Board footer

View Cart →