You are not logged in.

Losing our nerve as we get older?  RSS Feed

#1 2019-09-25 2:19pm

justlive
Pro MemberRemember remember the 80's forever
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 2

Losing our nerve as we get older?

I remember back around 04/06ish talking to Eddie Fiola and he told me he had lost his nerve to ride ramps other than a kick turn ramp. He said it was weird because he had no problem getting air on a dirt bike for a movie stunt but he just didn't have the nerve to do it on a 20" bmx anymore. At the time I was shocked to hear that. Especially coming from The King of The Skateparks. But here I am so many years later and I find myself in the same boat with certain flatland tricks. Just over thinking things and worrying about what happens if I should fall a certain way? I try to just ignore it and just do it but the butterflies are still there. Weird. Has anyone else felt this way?

-"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike"
-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"Who's the fella that owns this shit hole"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River
-"pound me in the ass Hutch pink" - IPD

#2 2019-09-25 2:27pm

affordablepmc
Pro MemberCollector of Things
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 9

Re: Losing our nerve as we get older?

I can relate for sure. It started happening to me about 40. Mostly because I just didn't want to get hurt. Having 4 kids I just couldn't put myself in a position where I could not provide for my kids.
Don't get me wrong, I still ride just don't do stupid stuff like when I was a kid. Still get my share of cuts, bumps, and bruises, but no more  crazy stuff.

Last edited by affordablepmc (2019-09-25 5:35pm)

R.I.P. : "Stash84"    2-21-18                     
            "Treats"      5-05-18
            "Macha"      8-24-18

#3 2019-09-25 2:28pm

Arsenal2012
Pro MemberBeer Fridge
For Sale: 4

Young dumb and full of cum. Miss those days

“We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?”
- 451* F

#4 2019-09-25 2:30pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

I think it's your body telling your brain it's no longer up to the task ????. 

You see it all the time. Guy who's older and outta shape try's to bench press what he used to do at 20 and gets hurt. In his mind he can still do it.

#5 2019-09-25 2:46pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 14

Part of getting older. Your reaction goes, healing time increases and involves much more pain. Started happening to me in my early 30s never been able to ride the same since.

Of course it affects everyone differently and depends on how many slams you took doing stupid shit that the guy with brains wouldn't try.

There are plenty of passtimes in BMX if the passion is still there smile

Best one is getting out there and showing support for younger riders. I get down to the local place any time I can.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#6 2019-09-25 3:18pm

Spintech
Pro MemberMinimalist hoarder
Bikes: 4

When we're younger, everyone would do something crazy like jumping a huge gap and you HAD to do it. The pain of crashing was more preferable than the pain of being called a pussy for not trying lol We would put a ramp and jump over a car, no transitions, just asphalt. No way I'm doing that now. Not only I'm 100 lbs heavier, but I got bills to pay. If I get injured and can't work for a month, that would be the end of my collection and BMX museum membership. lol

Also not gonna lie, seeing the crazy stuff kids pull on BMX these days, I think I'm just gonna sit back and watch the next generation wink

-Joe

#7 2019-09-25 3:31pm

justlive

Yeah, I can relate to every one of these comments. I was messing around one day just doing endos and seeing how far forward I could still go and hold it. I was literally getting butterflies the further I would go. Thinking to myself what if my brake slips and I face plant lol. Worse, what if I fall over and land on my neck and I'm paralyzed? Ugh. I hate these thoughts. I remember when jumping off the roof of a garage or jumping a sketchy ramp over a deep ditch was nothing. Never gave it a second thought. Crazy how the mind is still willing but the heart and body are saying, whoa slow your role there big guy lol

-"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum"
-"As a Union Machinist that takes immense pride in his work and work ethic I want to totally motherf*ck you...but you're not a bad dude so I guess I'll just leave this instead" - Burning River

#8 2019-09-25 3:32pm

justlive

And yes, I will always ride as long as I'm able. I guess I just have to be smart and realistic now.

#9 2019-09-25 3:34pm

CBA
Pro MemberERADICATOR!!!
Bikes: 19
For Sale: 5
Website

Yup.  I've wiped out several times in the last few years doing what I thought would be easy stuff.  Going over the bars at 40 sucks balls.

Sticky Money Jackson

"Whenever I'm about to do something I think, 'Would an idiot do that?'  And if they would, I do not do that thing."  - Dwight Schrute

#10 2019-09-25 3:35pm

ricar
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

For me it was getting hurt twice. I had done my knee and was sort of recovering but should not have been riding. Then I did in my ankle. That killed me for years. I did make a comeback, maybe 80% but now I was gown so long and getting back with small stuff I lost my balls at speed. The jumps I hit used to be so easy, now the bigger ones, the ones where you get going fast make me think more than twice where 15 years ago I was hitting them on borrowed junk bikes just to show off. Those nagging pains now remind me I don't heal like I did, tendonitis in my elbow now from digging, and kids, and work, etc. It makes riding less fun and the thought of eating it big makes me less amped to hit that new jump.

Every time I get on my bike I win. Ms.BMX.

I don't have enough faith to believe in evolution.

#11 2019-09-25 3:59pm

badbill
Pro MemberBorn Ruthless
Bikes: 6

I call bullshit on Eddie Fiola telling you he lost his nerve on riding ramps in 04/06 because he was tearing those things up at the BMX Society show in 08,09,10,11 and on. Along with street shredding in public every Tuesday, I don't even see how you can suggest that man lost his nerve. You crazy fool.

#12 2019-09-25 4:00pm

turdburd
Pro MemberOver The Wall
Bikes: 5

Started thinking twice about time I had to pay for my insurance and show up at work on Monday.

ABA Ca-13 1982-84  #926 #547 #123

#13 2019-09-25 4:03pm

KRUZNYO
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

The pain doesn't bother me but the recovery time is what pisses me of.  Used to heal in a day or two NOT ANYMORE mad

Gods Of War!!!

#14 2019-09-25 4:09pm

matt thomas
Pro Memberno more hoarding
For Sale: 3

A pretty bad crash in 04ish was what forced me to rethink my approach to riding. I decided to give some flatland a try. The riding i do now is technically way harder than what i was doing when i crashed, but way less risky. Changing the way I rode has lead me on a really rewarding journey.

The more im looking back and thinking about that time in my life, i would have never guessed I'd still be riding and progressing at 46 years old.

Last edited by matt thomas (2019-09-25 4:18pm)

White Revenge Industries Da'Kine grips. Found! BIG THANKS to npatrick!
Wanted- Injury free 2020! Not the best start! Rotator cuff is taking forever to heal!
All of my stuff is for sale, except for my raw inTRIKat!!!

#15 2019-09-25 4:21pm

JUGGARNAUT
Pro MemberDILLIGAF
For Sale: 6

badbill wrote:

I call bullshit on Eddie Fiola telling you he lost his nerve on riding ramps in 04/06 because he was tearing those things up at the BMX Society show in 08,09,10,11 and on. Along with street shredding in public every Tuesday, I don't even see how you can suggest that man lost his nerve. You crazy fool.

Ill call it on the " King of the Skatepark " title, everyone knows Mike D is the KOS!! big_smile

***ALL of my bmx is for sale , Im done and out !!***

#16 2019-09-25 4:34pm

ANTDOG
Pro MemberSite Advocate!
Bikes: 2

Just got mines back

If I Will Throw An Elbow To My Best Friend  In A Turn,what Makes You Think I Wont Do It To You????????????

Former National 29 35-40x  -NBL
2010 2011 Regional #3  NBL

2019 district 174 USABMX

#17 2019-09-25 4:39pm

houndog
Pro MemberOn a Mid-Skool Kick
Bikes: 26

So what are the "safer" flatland tricks to do at 46?  Let's hear your thoughts on this.

#18 2019-09-25 4:39pm

justlive

badbill wrote:

You can call it whatever you want. I have no interest in making things up. I'm not 10. Maybe he got the nerve back by 09? If he did that's great! I'm just stating what he told me back then.

#19 2019-09-25 4:40pm

justlive

ANTDOG wrote:

Just got mines back

It's funny you posted on here Ant because you were the one I was thinking of when I was starting this thread. Thinking about your thread from a few days back smile

#20 2019-09-25 4:41pm

justlive

JUGGARNAUT wrote:

badbill wrote:

Ill call it on the " King of the Skatepark " title, everyone knows Mike D is the KOS!! big_smile

Blasphemy! lol

#21 2019-09-25 4:41pm

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI
For Sale: 5

Yes to all this. Not as flexible and sure in the hell don't heal as fast these days, plus I have a family to provide for.

Mine was more with motorcycles than bmx. I never got scared on motorcycles and until after my kids were born and a buddy went off the road in a turn about 80+, it took us awhile to find him because we got spread out on a really curvy road and didn't know where he went down. Then a few weeks later, one of my childhood friends got ran over by a truck pulling a trailer, it was the trucks fault for turning left in front of him. I was told that it basically broke every bone in his body because he was dragged under a loaded trailer for bit. After that I would just worry about what could be in a turn to cause me to wreck, never had any fear until that point.

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

Give A Shift! Save the manual.

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

#22 2019-09-25 4:43pm

justlive

KRUZNYO wrote:

The pain doesn't bother me but the recovery time is what pisses me of.  Used to heal in a day or two NOT ANYMORE mad

I have to agree with this. I hate not being able to heal as fast as I did when I was a kid.

#23 2019-09-25 4:45pm

justlive

eric12 wrote:

Yes to all this. Not as flexible and sure in the hell don't heal as fast these days, plus I have a family to provide for.

Mine was more with motorcycles than bmx. I never got scared on motorcycles and until after my kids were born and a buddy went off the road in a turn about 80+, it took us awhile to find him because we got spread out on a really curvy road and didn't know where he went down. Then a few weeks later, one of my childhood friends got ran over by a truck pulling a trailer, it was the trucks fault for turning left in front of him. I was told that it basically broke every bone in his body because he was dragged under a loaded trailer for bit. After that I would just worry about what could be in a turn to cause me to wreck, never had any fear until that point.

Agreed. I've had too many friends go down over the years on motorcycles. It definitely opened my eyes when my son was born. 21yrs later I don't regret my decision.

#24 2019-09-25 4:48pm

justlive

houndog wrote:

So what are the "safer" flatland tricks to do at 46?  Let's hear your thoughts on this.

I would think it just depends on the individual? I'm sure there are alot of guys who aren't going through what I am and are still dare devils into their 50's. But I would think any of the stuff we did in the 80's would be safe compared to the rolling, brakeless  tricks they're doing today.

#25 2019-09-25 4:50pm

justlive

And I honestly hope this thread doesn't discourage any of you. That wasn't my intention. It's just me thinking out loud and wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? By no means will this stop me from riding.

Board footer

View Cart →