You are not logged in.

Why are modern bike names and brands themed with such darkness?  RSS Feed

#51 2019-08-06 7:51pm

cmc
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

Re: Why are modern bike names and brands themed with such darkness?

rodney4130 wrote:

Well, S&M has been around since '87, but otherwise, I just always assumed it was the influence of skateboard marketing on the industry.

Yep.  And really only on the street/park/flat side of things.

BMX racing never really tried to be “alternative.”

20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

#52 2019-08-06 8:14pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79

spyker wrote:

brettweir89 wrote:

cbrstar wrote:

I never understood the name "Fit" to me it would be a great Roadbike or MTB name but just seems odd for bmx.

Anyone know the origins of the Fit name?

F ... it

https://www.espn.com/action/bmx/news/st … =cult-crew

Robbie was a racer BITD ... when he started Cult and left Fit, he took a of the team with them.
S&M and Fit are essentially the same brand. There be some bad blood / hard feelings there.

Personally I like Cult ... own their frames and parts. They make good stuff. Its one of the brands kids really go for. Its edgy and stuff.
Got to give it to Robbie, he hit on something with the image / marketing ... brand does extremely well.

Like others here have said, kids want to be "cool" and like it or not, the historic brands just don't have that wow factor.

The truth about all this is,when Robbie left S&M,he did not take majority of the team with him to start Cult,they left on their own due to being more loyal towards him over Chris.A Fit factory rider told me this on a automotive forum we are members at when this just happened,he too left Fit for Cult with the rest.

For a while now Cult seems to be the top dog in the NS bikes game.Now I wonder if the younger kids even ride S&M branded products anymore,or is it just the older generation who are still fond of the brand.

it's just us and the few kids we have had and bran washed to like it. we bought them their fist real bike. it was either Haro,GT or S&M. because that's what we love. so we told them it's what's Rad / cool. tongue

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#53 2019-08-06 8:26pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 1

cmc wrote:

pwh4130 wrote:

The name Sunday was chosen because who doesn't like a Sunday?  It's a day of fun, family and friends.

I don't know exactly what you mean buy bike company names being dark. I have never heard of Murder Hate BMX.

Coulda been named after a Morrissey song!
lol

Trudging slowly over wet sand
Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen
This is the coastal town
That they forgot to close down
Armageddon, come Armageddon!
Come, Armageddon! Come!
Everyday is like Sunday
Everyday is silent and grey
Hide on the promenade
Etch a postcard :
"How I Dearly Wish I Was Not Here"
In the seaside town
That they forgot to bomb
Come, come, come, nuclear bomb
Everyday is like Sunday
Trudging back over pebbles and sand
And a strange dust lands on your hands
(And on your face)
(On your face)
(On your face)
(On your face)
Everyday is like Sunday
"Win yourself a cheap tray"
Share some greased tea with me

Had to check the song out....never really listened to Morrissey. Good stuff...great lyrics.

Like someone said it all goes in waves...everyone conforms then a few people wear or do something different and everyone follows...repeat.

My son is 19 and they are all starting to dress with like 50's stuff... plaid golf pants etc. not all the time but it's creeping in.

#54 2019-08-06 8:48pm

CHAMPION-26
Pro Member

This one is pretty Dark...
http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/99538/7y425d4a4a1a07.gif

Needs - Tioga Comp Pool Tires
Tioga Comp Ramp Tires
Early Redline PL - 24 Forks
88 Skyway T/A 280 Forks
GT Coaster Brake Hub
24" Irc Racer - X Tire -  In Black
Nos Clear GT Grips

#55 2019-08-06 8:51pm

IPD
Pro Member
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 2
Website

Ralph Wiggum wrote:

Gt, Diamond Back, Ozone, Hutch, Mongoose, Rebel, Skyway, Redline, Robinson, Auburn, Haro, Elf, Nomura, privateer; what do any of these names have to do with bicycles?

I don't think you can seriously consider any of those "modern bike brands", let alone if they are even relevant anymore.  Auburn, ELF, Nomura, Ozone, Mongoose, Rebel, Robinson, Diamondback and even GT....pretty much irrelevant if not already extinct.

It's like the man says, there's no problems...only solutions.

#56 2019-08-06 9:03pm

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O

Agreed.

Haro got a boost with all the nice modern retros. But I think they shot their shot ... too much too quick. They are almost out of retro nostalgia they can push, then what? Their 2020 lineup in that regards is meh IMHO.

GT is trying to stay relevant by going after the SE crowd based on what I've seen from them and especially this 2020 lineup.

Mongoose is trying to get into the entry level racing market with the Title models, pretty good stuff especially for the price.

Redline has their retro models but don't see a lot of excitement about those, they likely are surviving based on racing crowd.

Hutch tries hard and has their niche.

But overall with all of them, nothing I see the younger riders getting excited about, they dream about their Cults and Fits and Sundays and such.

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
Hey Fella! You're a turkey! -Jim Goose (MFP)

#57 2019-08-06 9:21pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 4a1a07.gif

a little bit, yeah. looks like my neighbor from when I was a kid. dude was a freekshow.

#58 2019-08-06 9:24pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

brettweir89 wrote:

Agreed.

Haro got a boost with all the nice modern retros. But I think they shot their shot ... too much too quick. They are almost out of retro nostalgia they can push, then what? Their 2020 lineup in that regards is meh IMHO.

GT is trying to stay relevant by going after the SE crowd based on what I've seen from them and especially this 2020 lineup.

Mongoose is trying to get into the entry level racing market with the Title models, pretty good stuff especially for the price.

Redline has their retro models but don't see a lot of excitement about those, they likely are surviving based on racing crowd.

Hutch tries hard and has their niche.

But overall with all of them, nothing I see the younger riders getting excited about, they dream about their Cults and Fits and Sundays and such.

Spot on.  Tough business for the old brands trying to appeal to kids.
I've had a TON (maybe literally lol ) of different bikes around my house but my kid never geeked out over any of them, until that Kink you sold me.

#59 2019-08-06 9:29pm

4inCycle
Pro Member
Bikes: 1
For Sale: 4

I kind of like the Stolen gyro...

Around the time my neighborhood buddies got into freestyle, the big thing was talking about gyros. Not sure why that was so intriguing, but it was. Then I had a bike stolen. Not cool. After that I made it a point to guard my ride like it was a piece of myself. So the Stolen gyro really taps into that crossover bit of history... 1994

#60 2019-08-06 10:34pm

cmc
Pro Member

crj1968 wrote:

Had to check the song out....never really listened to Morrissey. Good stuff...great lyrics.

Like someone said it all goes in waves...everyone conforms then a few people wear or do something different and everyone follows...repeat.

My son is 19 and they are all starting to dress with like 50's stuff... plaid golf pants etc. not all the time but it's creeping in.

Woah... 50s retro again?

The 80s had a big 50s retro thing with The Outsiders (future brat pack cast), Back to the Future, the Stray Cats, Stand By Me, flat tops etc.

A lot of people got/get sick of Morrissey’s personality, but his former band The Smiths (before the singer Morrissey went solo) were a better band—no one dislikes Johnny Marr, the guitarist of The Smiths who was the backbone of their sound.  He had a 50s retro thing going as well and almost always played vintage guitars. Check the 1986/1988 live album “Rank” and their cover of an Elvis song:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnpfTmVDtU

I recall Ron Wilkerson saying in an interview back in the day that “freestyle” died when BMX went into the “black bike” phase.

I don’t think it died, but the glam metal and “New Wave” cultures did change in the 90s.

On another tangent, I only found out a few years ago that the name “Freestyle” was also attached to a genre of club music in the 80s. 
I remember hearing a lot of those songs at AFA contests (mixed in with rap, metal, punk and new wave).  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_freestyle

Last edited by cmc (2019-08-06 10:58pm)

20", 22", 24", 26", and 700c !

#61 2019-08-06 10:59pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

cmc wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

Woah... 50s retro again?

The 80s had a big 50s retro thing with The Outsiders (future brat pack cast), Back to the Future, the Stray Cats, Stand By Me, flat tops etc.

A lot of people got/get sick of Morrissey’s personality, but his former band The Smiths (before the singer Morrissey went solo) were a better band—no one dislikes Johnny Marr, the guitarist of The Smiths who was the backbone of their sound.  He had a 50s retro thing going as well and almost always played vintage guitars. Check the 1986/1988 live album “Rank” and their cover of an Elvis song:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnpfTmVDtU

I recall Ron Wilkerson saying in an interview back in the day that “freestyle” died when BMX went into the “black bike” phase.

I don’t think it died, but the glam metal and “New Wave” cultures did change in the 90s.

Cool tune. The Smiths. Heard of them never listened. That's one good thing about being a weirdo thrash metal kid who believed everything else sucked, 35 years later you get to discover all this new music.  LOL

I've been like geeked out on the beatles, stones and zeppelin lately. Of course I've heard all their popular stuff, but never really listened and got into it. Kind of strange actually....

The type of freestyle Wilkerson and all those guys were doing definitely died. Man those were good times though.

#62 2019-08-06 11:12pm

cbrstar
Pro Member

spyker wrote:

cbrstar wrote:

I never understood the name "Fit" to me it would be a great Roadbike or MTB name but just seems odd for bmx.

Fit was created by the same person who currently owns Cult....Robbie Morales.

I think Cult is a perfect example how riders selling a life style actually sells bikes more then innovation. If you read old threads from 2013 people hated cult! People kept saying that they were too generic and overpriced, and didn't even make their own frames. Fbm and standard did? So what do they do? they release the "let them talk" vids.

#63 2019-08-07 4:36am

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O

Yes there was a ton of bashing in the beginning. Many thought the way Robbie did it was shady, and that they didn't have any innovative products, overpriced, too dark of a brand image, etc. I'd say:

There's bound to be some animosity and tongues wagging when a long term employee that helped build the brand, suddenly quits when confronted by rumors (per Chris Moeller) and number of pro riders (who had just got pro frames from S&M) were loyal to Robbie and left with him

Starting a brand from scratch, Cult went route of rebranding some known tech out there (mix cassette, etc.) and for frames had FBM and Standard build their initial (however both well known and US made). Hard to start a company... everyone wants product... I mean, who makes their own frames anymore? S&M, FBM, Standard ... GT, Haro, etc. Hell all theirs are likely made in same Taiwan factory overseas on different production lines.

Image? Marketing to make a big splash with intended audience, they went dark and edgy to appeal to the kids. That was their differentiator in marketing terms. Worked too, 9 years later they are thriving, and S&M/Fit is still successful as well. So, it all worked out

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
Hey Fella! You're a turkey! -Jim Goose (MFP)

#64 2019-08-07 4:46am

frozenotter
Pro MemberBanned

Interesting. Following through, in 20 years they will have to "up" to "I'm a Serial Killer" or "Necro Bros." to appeal to the market. The world is a beautiful place. yikes

WANTED: 20" Skyway XL Retro Frame or '84 XL Frame in White. Excellent Condition Only. Money is Prepared for YOUR Pocket.

#65 2019-08-07 9:18am

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 24
For Sale: 25

spsracer1 wrote:

Sunday! Funday!

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/185426/img_20190807_0737485d4af9a36e.jpg

No-one wants a Tuesday....

#66 2019-08-07 9:32am

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

cbrstar wrote:

spyker wrote:

cbrstar wrote:

Fit was created by the same person who currently owns Cult....Robbie Morales.

I think Cult is a perfect example how riders selling a life style actually sells bikes more then innovation. If you read old threads from 2013 people hated cult! People kept saying that they were too generic and overpriced, and didn't even make their own frames. Fbm and standard did? So what do they do? they release the "let them talk" vids.

Robbie is a marketing genius! yes in the beginning Cult was just like any other NS bmx company with humble beginnings.As the years past for them,they got better and more innovative,had products made to set themselves apart and built up a team that no other company can even come close to.

The cool thing about their team is,the newest Cult team member works at the 3ride! He effing rips on a bike and has a very unique style to his own.When the weather is nice and he is back home,he can be seen riding two local skateparks where I'm at.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#67 2019-08-07 9:32am

cbrstar
Pro Member

brettweir89 wrote:

Image? Marketing to make a big splash with intended audience, they went dark and edgy to appeal to the kids. That was their differentiator in marketing terms. Worked too, 9 years later they are thriving, and S&M/Fit is still successful as well. So, it all worked out

I was around the first time when bmx went dark and edgy in the early 90's. It was all heavy metal, and if you rode a pink bike you were gonna get beat up lol. It's weird when I watch vids from that time just how cringe worthy they are now, yet at the time I thought they were cool. Maybe the dark stuff just appeals to that teenage angst?

Where I live I have seen a couple kids on S&M and Sunday. But 90% are on much cheaper bikes like GT. We're going through a major recession here. And higher end bikes are simply out of reach for most kids. There's just about no entry level jobs for them.

#68 2019-08-07 9:33am

happyshark
Pro MemberWelcome To The ThunderDome!
Bikes: 16
For Sale: 13

BRICKOS2 wrote:

spsracer1 wrote:

Sunday! Funday!

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … f9a36e.jpg

No-one wants a Tuesday....

Lmao

Looking For Dk passport or 97 gl frame

#69 2019-08-07 10:27am

cbrstar
Pro Member

If I had a bmx company I'd just use a band name generator like this to come up with names lol roll https://www.namegeneratorfun.com/band

#70 2019-08-07 10:42am

cbrstar
Pro Member

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/234832/screenshot_20190807-1139395d4b0d1f43.png

There we go "Every Bmx byke Co" so ironic and edgy. I'm a bmx marketing genius! lol

#71 2019-08-07 10:47am

Agentxxiii
Pro MemberGoogle Is Watching
For Sale: 2

Grory hole bykes
Pro model: the golden shower

These would fly off the shelves!

Time machine wanted!

#72 2019-08-07 10:49am

Bluegill
Pro Member
Bikes: 1

Stagecoach BMX is cool

#73 2019-08-07 11:08am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member(fantstik Spellr)
Bikes: 79

Agentxxiii wrote:

Glory hole bykes
Pro model: the golden shower

These would fly off the shelves!

lol now that's funny it's al so the name of a brand of pot.

golden shower so relaxing you will P your self not kidding it's a real brand of marijuana.

Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

#74 2019-08-07 12:47pm

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 41

CHAMPION-26 wrote:

http://uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 4a1a07.gif

lol

I am not of this world ----- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer ----  WWG1WGA

#75 2019-08-07 12:47pm

Garcia_58
Pro MemberBeg
Bikes: 41

Hold My Beer BMX

I am not of this world ----- 1978 GLJ 1979 DG Racer ----  WWG1WGA

Board footer

View Cart →