Re: NOS 85 PK RIPPER

Bob Lewis wrote:

Maiden DB fan wrote:

Bob Lewis wrote:

coolcoolcool

If Not-He COULD Always Fab Up MORE of Them!!?? roll  hmm

It's not that easy, it would cost over a grand to fab up one of these frames

Are you seriously that naive?? A grand? lol

I live for Race Inc, SE Racing, Navajo, Nomura, GHP and Prodyne!!!

#102 2019-08-02 9:37am

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

"I LOVE THIS PLACE"

You think I can get sal to make me a few "NOS" frames and I'll start a barn thread on them. They were found in the rafters forgotten and  hanging for decades. roll lol

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

This too shall pass.

Use common sense. Or cents for most. lol

#103 2019-08-02 10:17am

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY
Bikes: 26

Interesting...

#104 2019-08-02 10:24am

Agentxxiii
Pro MemberRichy Rich Dude
Bikes: 9
For Sale: 3

I do smell greed or at least something fishy here

Time machine wanted!

#105 2019-08-02 10:27am

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

Agentxxiii wrote:

Want to smell my finger?

You can't put a price on peace of mind.

This too shall pass.

Use common sense. Or cents for most. lol

#106 2019-08-02 10:30am

Agentxxiii
Pro MemberRichy Rich Dude
For Sale: 3

eric12 wrote:

Agentxxiii wrote:

Want to smell my finger?

lol
You know I do

Time machine wanted!

#107 2019-08-02 11:23am

MAIDEN GT fan
Pro MemberBMX To The Hills

BRIAN HAYS wrote:

Bob Lewis wrote:

Maiden DB fan wrote:

If Not-He COULD Always Fab Up MORE of Them!!?? roll  hmm

It's not that easy, it would cost over a grand to fab up one of these frames

Are you seriously that naive?? A grand? lol

A Grand?? lol lol
If All Components are Available and the Guy has the Jigs(or Comparable) he Could Have them Together in Minutes! Ask metzone How Long it Takes to Weld! Slower=Nicer End Result. wink I Do Dirty Welding(Sheet Metal on Cars) that Never Gets Seen So Pretty Welding has More Time Involved.

#108 2019-08-02 11:32am

Bob Lewis
Intermediate
Bikes: 3

good luck finding the tubing, where can you purchase the seat post mast? you guys are too funny. believe what you like. keep on hatin

#109 2019-08-02 11:51am

MAIDEN GT fan

Bob Lewis wrote:

good luck finding the tubing, where can you purchase the seat post mast? you guys are too funny. believe what you like. keep on hatin

Not Hating on Ya or What Ya Got-Really! I Just Know that With Today's Technology that Almost Anything CAN be Fabricated(with Proper Equipment) CNC Machines w/Cad Programs Make Fabbing Easy-Peasey these Days. Tubing is Available thru the Manufacturers(Alcoa) or is Old Stock Squirreled Away. It's ALL Supply and Demand!! If there's a Demand-Someone will Supply IT!! wink

#110 2019-08-02 12:13pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member
Bikes: 10

When I said a grand I meant approaching a company and asking them to make you an exact replica of that bike. Which for someone to do from scratch would cost you at least a grand. Standard do frames out of steel and they charge around 700 bucks for a custom. Curtis in the UK? Start at around a grand.

How much did Johnny Chopper charge for those STR replicas out of interest? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know, I'm not being a dick.

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#111 2019-08-02 12:25pm

MAIDEN GT fan

AlurencatBMX wrote:

When I said a grand I meant approaching a company and asking them to make you an exact replica of that bike. Which for someone to do from scratch would cost you at least a grand. Standard do frames out of steel and they charge around 700 bucks for a custom. Curtis in the UK? Start at around a grand.

How much did Johnny Chopper charge for those STR replicas out of interest? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know, I'm not being a dick.

This Is Correct BUT For HAVING It Done By a Fab Shop/Guy FOR a Customer. Now Take It from the Perspective of the Fab Guy with Time on His Hands and the Equipment and Pieces at his Disposal! hmm I Can Chop Off Quarter Panels/Floors and Roofs Any 50's Up Car and Weld Repro/Orig Parts On at Pennies on the Dollar on My Own Cars. In a Shop they Get 50+ an Hour to Do the SAME Work. wink tongue

#112 2019-08-02 12:26pm

TWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Pro Membermarvingarden
Website

Doesn’t really matter what it would cost. Fact of the matter is if they are legit or not.

Some people are really good welders, but just shitty time travelers...

Want to buy:

Schwinn maximizer tire red orphan 20x2.125

Comp 3 blue/green label tire black 20x1.75
NO TRADES

#113 2019-08-02 12:28pm

DutchRipper
Pro MemberDUCKDUCKGO

I think almost anyone, when they are not knowing what they are looking at, would think these are more recently fab'd frames rather than 35yrs ago fab'd frames....that was my point in asking how do you know these are NOS '85s.

If the welder offered those for sale himself - knowing the history of what he already fab'd in the post SE period before - it would certainly not be believed as to be NOS '85 unless it had serial, factory finish and everything.

Last edited by DutchRipper (2019-08-02 12:50pm)

Erutangis

#114 2019-08-02 12:32pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation
Bikes: 8

Bob Lewis wrote:

As I said, those machined seat masts are the rare piece on those frames.  As for finding the tubing, Sal welded this 26" frame up in 2005.  Note the Floval tubing, curved chainstays & SE dropouts.  Cost was right around $600 new (frame only).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/210143/om_ripper_1400_015d448eb7e9.jpg

Not hating BTW, I hope they are real.  But it does seem strange he was welding up & selling frames 15 years ago, but had these 3 hanging around & didn't sell them sooner.

Last edited by WalkerInTN (2019-08-02 12:34pm)

#115 2019-08-02 12:37pm

MAIDEN GT fan

The OP is the One to Determine if HE Feels they're Legitimate N.O.S. And Can Ask the Question to the Man from Whom He got them From. I'm Not Caring Either Way-No Interest in Ever Getting One(Like the Looptails) but Also Not into the Whole N.O.S Thing-Prefer Near Mint/Lightly Used. big_smile

#116 2019-08-02 12:47pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY

AlurencatBMX wrote:

This one time when a Johnny Chopper STR won Best pre-80s at the show lol

#117 2019-08-02 12:50pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY

WalkerInTN wrote:

Bob Lewis wrote:

As I said, those machined seat masts are the rare piece on those frames.  As for finding the tubing, Sal welded this 26" frame up in 2005.  Note the Floval tubing, curved chainstays & SE dropouts.  Cost was right around $600 new (frame only).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-image … 8eb7e9.jpg

Not hating BTW, I hope they are real.  But it does seem strange he was welding up & selling frames 15 years ago, but had these 3 hanging around & didn't sell them sooner.

That's cool.

And yes it does seem strange...

I don't think anyone is hating, just curious.

#118 2019-08-02 1:41pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/185426/screenshot_20190801-1244525d44a00627.png

#119 2019-08-02 2:22pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

Educate me. Who the F is Sal? is that short for Sally?

Did he work for SE? how would he have got the tubing etc?

If you haven't seen the magical stars floating around whilst lying face down in the mud you ain't lived.

"If you asked me what era of BMX I preferred I would look at you blankly and say all of them. If you never stopped riding you wouldn't look back with fond memories you'd create them instead. I come from 'any school'"

#120 2019-08-02 2:56pm

84pk
BMXer 4 Life

Sal welded at SE in the early 80s he seems to do quite a bit of side work repairs etc

WTB:
Black SE pads

#121 2019-08-02 2:57pm

WalkerInTN
Pro MemberWho Dat Nation
Bikes: 8

AlurencatBMX wrote:

Educate me. Who the F is Sal? is that short for Sally?

Did he work for SE? how would he have got the tubing etc?

Sal Correa was SE Racing's main welder for years.  As for getting the tubing, There are metal companies all around the world selling stuff.  A 10 second search turned up this company.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/ovaltube.html

#122 2019-08-02 3:27pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

DutchRipper wrote:

I think almost anyone, when they are not knowing what they are looking at, would think these are more recently fab'd frames rather than 35yrs ago fab'd frames....that was my point in asking how do you know these are NOS '85s.

If the welder offered those for sale himself - knowing the history of what he already fab'd in the post SE period before - it would certainly not be believed as to be NOS '85 unless it had serial, factory finish and everything.

Because I guess that's what the guy told him and he's taken it at face value. I'm guessing that when the guy left SE he didn't walk out with all of the blue prints and the machines needed. If they were even made in house, that is.

I guess the best way to settle this would be with a Vernier gauge and a tape measure and protractor. Read the rest of my ramblings to see why, but basically he would need a few grand's worth of machines in the very least.

TWENTYFOUR7EVEN wrote:

Doesn’t really matter what it would cost. Fact of the matter is if they are legit or not.

Some people are really good welders, but just shitty time travelers...

Doesn't matter if they are legit. They are what they are I guess? I admit, the lack of serial and the fact there's three of them would worry me a bit... End of the day buyer beware I suppose smile

Maiden DB fan wrote:

AlurencatBMX wrote:

This Is Correct BUT For HAVING It Done By a Fab Shop/Guy FOR a Customer. Now Take It from the Perspective of the Fab Guy with Time on His Hands and the Equipment and Pieces at his Disposal! hmm I Can Chop Off Quarter Panels/Floors and Roofs Any 50's Up Car and Weld Repro/Orig Parts On at Pennies on the Dollar on My Own Cars. In a Shop they Get 50+ an Hour to Do the SAME Work. wink tongue

So this fab guy just happens to have thousands of dollars worth of machinery just lying around that he didn't have to pay for?

It always makes me LOL on this forum how people think that shit just grows on trees and is all very easy. Easy? maybe, if you are a pro welder (which this guy is given he used to make frames at SE). But those machines run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. So no "fab guy" just so happens to have it all lying around to magically whip up parts out of the air.

Sure, a welder will get paid about $50 an hour. Through his boss, who has massive overheads, a shop to rent or pay the mortgage on and the huge hole in his ass from buying all of the machinery you would need.

Look, don't get me wrong these could have been made yesterday. I'm not totally disputing that. However, if this guy is selling one for $750 he probably paid less than that. If he used to work for SE then he probably got the stuff from SE even if he welded it together at home. I'm not saying they are frames made in 1985, I am just stating the facts. Having a frame made, especially these days, is expensive stuff.

So maybe it's not what you would buy for $750? fair enough, not disputing that either but if this is what you were looking for the price isn't that bad. Don't forget you need machines to cut the rounded holes into those tubes at the correct angles for it all to fit together. And a plasma/lazer/whatever cutting machine to cut the drops, and a machine to turn or CNC that seat tube and ETC.

This isn't something you could just buy down at Home Depot and toss together in your shed.

#123 2019-08-02 3:48pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY

Hundreds of thousands...?

#124 2019-08-02 3:55pm

BRICKOS2
Pro MemberTHIRSTY

Pretty sure if Standard went bust tomorrow, the liquidators won't be sell off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery.

#125 2019-08-02 4:03pm

AlurencatBMX
Pro Member

BRICKOS2 wrote:

Pretty sure if Standard went bust tomorrow, the liquidators won't be sell off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery.

Do they have a machine capable of making that seat tube then?

Board footer