Retro's will they hold value  RSS Feed

#26 2019-07-21 5:52pm

spyker
Pro MemberPimp In Training

Re: Retro's will they hold value

Iceman wrote:

eric12 wrote:

spyker wrote:

Don't worry about the value of the bikes,just go ride them and enjoy them for what they are made for.

This

Wrong. I bought 10 Stranger Things bikes in the box. I'm gonna be rich.

I think it is afe to say you secured a very good retirement plan.

Made In Taiwan #1.....You Have Chosen Wisely!  Guaranteed Strength
Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here
violence solves everything!

#27 2019-07-21 5:52pm

wfc09
Pro Member

When all the kids riding around on 26" SE's turn 35-40 and start thinking about all the crazy riding and wheelies they did as kids they are going to start looking for their old 26" and 29" bikes . A lot of them are going to be SE's. Nobody is going to give two shits about our 20" stuff and we are all going to be old or dead....lol. Good times

#28 2019-07-21 5:52pm

eric12
Pro MemberNI4NI

Iceman wrote:

eric12 wrote:

spyker wrote:

Don't worry about the value of the bikes,just go ride them and enjoy them for what they are made for.

This

I know, I'm jealous. $$$

Being an adult is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

A Redline, the fastest way between two points.

Give A Shift! Save the manual.

Did you turn it off and then turn it back on?

#29 2019-07-21 5:57pm

13thoni
Pro MemberNeeds BMX Intervention
Website

Look at some of the retro stuff that’s for sale now.. not holding it’s value. I have several retro framesets ... not even going to try and sell em.. put em on a wall or something. Doubt that retro stuff in 20 years will hold value or increase in value- except the super smaller runs of certain things- retro CW and some of the kappa stuff.

I like BMX

#30 2019-07-21 6:03pm

made2drag
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

A retro frame and fork in decent condition should be atleast worth about what we paid new ten years from now.  I think that 10 years from now our $400 frame will be pretty cheap for a frame.  Guys will buy unique frames from the era they rode, especially limited runs and the geometry they like.

Increase the Peace

#31 2019-07-21 6:07pm

troynlori
Moderator"Pedal Peddler"
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 108

IMO....no they will not.

Hutch Fun Facts: All main line Hutch's with digits only S/N (no letters or baseballs) on the rear drop outs were US made and had their dropouts stamped between late '83 and '86.  Obviously the frame manufacture would occur slightly after that, even if they just threw 'em in a bucket randomly.  There is an obvious date code in that the first 2 digits seem to be the month and the 3rd digit is pretty obviously the last digit of the year running from '83-'86.

#32 2019-07-21 6:07pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member

wfc09 wrote:

When all the kids riding around on 26" SE's turn 35-40 and start thinking about all the crazy riding and wheelies they did as kids they are going to start looking for their old 26" and 29" bikes . A lot of them are going to be SE's. Nobody is going to give two shits about our 20" stuff and we are all going to be old or dead....lol. Good times

Yep from bmx to power chair to a wooden box with wheels.  Just keep on Rolling . lol

Last edited by Bandbracing669 (2019-07-21 6:08pm)

80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

#33 2019-07-21 6:17pm

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 7

I don't buy any BMX stuff to make money. I do it because I enjoy it.

People who are, should enjoy this sweet spot and make their retirement fund while they can (heavy sarcasm). This is the peak, its only going to go down in the future. The younger generations might understand but won't appreciate. Do you think some kid who's 8 years old today, is going to pay a fortune for some old Hutch or Haro someday? I would think not. Even the kids in their teens and 20's today, they didn't grow up lusting after these bikes and parts in magazine ads and bike shops like we did. On that same note, its a different world too... what kid even reads magazines and the only remaining US BMX mag is kaput (moment of silence for BMX Plus). Do kids go to websites and dream about BMX? No, they dream about Fortnite Battle Royale wins and Roblox money. Also, the people neck deep into it right now, will they be the same in 20 years when retiring and getting to their golden years, and many not able to ride anymore? Will they still get satisfaction from looking at a bike hanging on their wall or sitting in their basement? Doubt it.

So, far as I'm concerned I buy and ride what I enjoy, some stuff I hold back to give to my Son at the right time when he's a Man... not to make him money but because he'll remember Dad rode that or bought and saved that for him, and that bonding of Father to Son is more priceless than all the people flipping this stuff delusional thinking they are getting rich.

A few people have mentioned the best likely scenario for those thinking they are making a future investment, that is buy the modern popular stuff the young folks are riding and that's probably what they will be looking for decades from now. That is, if you want to spend a bunch of money now and sit on stuff for 30 years instead of doing something intelligent for ROI and putting the money in an actual investment product.

Last edited by brettweir89 (2019-07-21 6:25pm)

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
Hey Fella! You're a turkey! -Jim Goose (MFP)

#34 2019-07-21 6:19pm

wfc09
Pro Member

Go on any critical mass ride and look at what all these kids are riding relative to what retro bikes we have now and are riding now ...... SE's are everywhere. When they have kids and want to relive the good ole days like we did , they aren't going to be looking for retro 20's or 24's. Just think about it ....when we all came back to bikes we looked for what we had and were familiar with .... for us that was 20" bmx bikes. Remember this thread is called Retro's will they hold value . The 26"-29"are retro and are the only Retro's that I believe will be sought after. We are the only ones that care about 20" 1980's delusions of grandeur days lol

#35 2019-07-21 6:19pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 1

spyker wrote:

Iceman wrote:

eric12 wrote:

This

I think it is afe to say you secured a very good retirement plan.

lol

#36 2019-07-21 6:21pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

spyker wrote:

eric12 wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

Hard to say- I mean the retros- especially the 20" ones are really kind of targeting us older guys already.

Was watching a 2018 X games thing on youtube last night and DMC was there on a Haro and my son freaked out.

"Whoa that dude is on a bike like yours, Dad!" 

"Yeah well- I taught Dennis everything I could." lollol

But seriously I don't see the next generation caring about them much.
    Could be wrong

BINGO! They will not care about old bmx. Maybe a select few like my youngest son and Zack from here. I'm telling you guys in another 10-20 years all this expensive old school bmx stuff will sit without very many people caring about it. I'm sure once we die a lot will get thrown away unless our kids know the importance of it. So you better sell away while someone is willing to pay for it. tongue

Sell all the old stuff and buy the popular NS stuff today! It will be worthmoney once the kids grow up and want to relive their childhood like what we did.

This is a more likely scenario.

#37 2019-07-21 6:23pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

brettweir89 wrote:

People who are, should enjoy this sweet spot and make their retirement fund while they can (heavy sarcasm). This is the peak, its only going to go down in the future. The younger generations might understand but won't appreciate. Do you think some kid who's 8 years old today, is going to pay a fortune for some old Hutch or Haro someday? I would think not. Even the kids in their teens and 20's today, they didn't grow up lusting after these bikes and parts in magazine ads and bike shops like we did. On that same note, its a different world too... what kid even reads magazines and the only remaining US BMX mag is kaput (moment of silence for BMX Plus). Do kids go to websites and dream about BMX? No, they dream about Fortnite Battle Royale wins and Roblox money. Also, the people neck deep into it right now, will they be the same in 20 years when retiring and getting to their golden years, and many not able to ride anymore? Will they still get satisfaction from looking at a bike hanging on their wall or sitting in their basement? Doubt it.

So, far as I'm concerned I buy and ride what I enjoy, some stuff I hold back to give to my Son at the right time when he's a Man... not to make him money but because he'll remember Dad rode that or bought and saved that for him, and that bonding of Father to Son is more priceless than all the people flipping this stuff delusional thinking they are getting rich.

What's Roblox?  wink  tongue

#38 2019-07-21 6:27pm

spyker

crj1968 wrote:

brettweir89 wrote:

Online gaming site.

Would you trust a fat ugly lazy drunk to weld up a frame that will be ridden hard?
$20 goes a long way here

#39 2019-07-21 6:32pm

crj1968
Pro MemberSlow Day 4 Me

spyker wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

brettweir89 wrote:

Online gaming site.

Yeah, I know I was just messing with Jeff, our kids are all addicted to it...

My son has some little ROBLOX / Fortnite and Minecraft characters and magazines.....that is the stuff he will likely look for when he is older.

#40 2019-07-21 6:36pm

ABA180
Candy Apples
Bikes: 2

I was talking to a fellow who is about 25 or so..I'm 45.  Not sure if he is or ever was really into bikes honestly, though he know who WeThePeople were when I mentioned building one recently.

I showed him a pic of the Predator resto I did and told him I had one brand new in 1985 I bought for $220 and he couldn't believe I spent that much on a bike..and was baffled to hear I spent about $600 or so on the project bike.

#41 2019-07-21 6:38pm

brettweir89
Pro MemberROA DAE O
Bikes: 3
For Sale: 7

I definitely think you are on to something there. Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, Pokemon... those kind of toys.

I just don't see the same level of passion into their bikes from the younger kids riding, most of them beat the hell out of their stuff.

So long as the paperwork is clean, you boys can do what you like out there. -Fifi McAffee (MFP)
Hey Fella! You're a turkey! -Jim Goose (MFP)

#42 2019-07-21 6:41pm

spyker

ABA180 wrote:

I was talking to a fellow who is about 25 or so..I'm 45.  Not sure if he is or ever was really into bikes honestly, though he know who WeThePeople were when I mentioned building one recently.

I showed him a pic of the Predator resto I did and told him I had one brand new in 1985 I bought for $220 and he couldn't believe I spent that much on a bike..and was baffled to hear I spent about $600 or so on the project bike.

And yet this person would have no issue paying $800 for the latest and greatest smartphone when it comes out!

$20 goes a long way here

#43 2019-07-21 6:43pm

spyker

crj1968 wrote:

spyker wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

Online gaming site.

My son has some little ROBLOX / Fortnite and Minecraft characters and magazines.....that is the stuff he will likely look for when he is older.

Don't forget Ipods and Ipads too.The early generation ipods are already becoming collectables and gaining in price.

$20 goes a long way here

#44 2019-07-21 6:45pm

Bandbracing669
Pro Member

That's it I'm selling everything , buying a 3 wheel bike and doing a online search for retirement homes. lol smile

80's NUMBER PLATE NUT !!!    IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT HECK YES ITS FOR SALE

#45 2019-07-21 7:21pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol

ABA180 wrote:

Tell him I spent $225.00 on bars tonight.

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round......

#46 2019-07-21 7:22pm

Iceman
Pro MemberGrammar Patrol

spyker wrote:

crj1968 wrote:

spyker wrote:

Online gaming site.

Don't forget Ipods and Ipads too.The early generation ipods are already becoming collectables and gaining in price.

I just got rid of 2 1st gens. rolllol

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round......

#47 2019-07-21 7:29pm

mxfan69
Pro MemberCalm, Cool, and Collected
Bikes: 11

spyker wrote:

Bandbracing669 wrote:

spyker wrote:

This is for the Frame and fork!

Gotcha , I was thinking holy crap that's cheap for a complete.   I don't see any 24" pop up in my area.

If it was priced at say $500,I would have bought it,but not at that price! Might as well buy another DJ frame.

Hell I have a near new one, first run, serial number 00011, that I’ll sell you with the og box and frame fork bars if you really want one.

mmmm........loop tails.......

...and that's all I have to say about that...

#48 2019-07-21 7:34pm

DutchRipper
Pro Member
Bikes: 8

I'm pretty sure a BNIB retro will be an interesting/cool item to sell in a changed world 20-30yrs from now.

Hoe gaat het?

#49 2019-07-21 7:35pm

VADER
Official thread killer.....
Bikes: 6

Funny that iPods were mentioned. I told my daughter to keep all the old ones with the boxes for this very reason. The retro bikes will have value as a bike, but not sure about much collectible value.

needs: very little. wants: Leary, Patterson, Osborn, Fiola autographs, possibly 83 Predator or DB F&F.

#50 2019-07-21 7:35pm

FU
Museum Addict

I don't  know about value or future popularity.
I'm just glad that they built the lineage sport in a new school-ish form.
I'm old but prefer the new 20 inch bikes by a mile.
Funny reading this thread, the 20 inch bmx seems like the equivalent of a shortboard (vs long board 24/26 inch retro)

The folks who said the Kids will eventually collect the things of their youth are right on.

2 82 Kuwahara  ET(1kz) ,84 Kuwahara Lazer lite(st.),86 Haro Master, 87 GT Performer,88 Haro Sport,94 Haro Sport,95 Haro Shredder,97 Hoffman Condor,97 haro blammo, 98 Haro Blammo,99 Supra dlx, 01 Haro Mirra,04 Haro Mirra Pro,05  haro Sport, 05 Premium Team Mutt, 06 Nyquist Custom, 07 Haro Forum Pro,08 Premium Duo,09 Premium LowPez LT 09 low pez,10Premium 2017 Haro Sport 2017 Haro Zebra

Board footer

View Cart →